• Introducing XDA Computing: Discussion zones for Hardware, Software, and more!    Check it out!
  • Fill out your device list and let everyone know which phones you have!    Edit Your Device Inventory

[DEV] [How to] Disable Modded Playstore Self Update

Search This thread

edzamber

Feb 21, 2012
Hi Everybody,

I have find a way to disable Playstore auto update. Its very usefull when you theme Playstore and want to prevent auto update by itself at each new Playstore version.

Before recompile your themed version, go into smali/com/google/android/finsky/utils/

* Edit SelfUpdateScheduler.smali with Notepad ++

* Add just under const/4 v2, 0x0 (line 41 for me)

Code:
 return-void

* Record changes and recompile your Apk

Last edited:

3to4

Aug 13, 2009
Lyon
Could you help?

Hello! I am very interested in this mod, as I hate applications updating without my consent.
And I like old Playstore. I searched a long while, and I came across this thread.
So, I am trying to do this mod to Playstore 5.0.31, but my smali is slightly different, and goes as follows.

# direct methods
.method public constructor <init>(Lcom/google/android/finsky/download/DownloadQueue;I)V
.locals 2
.param p1, "downloadQueue" # Lcom/google/android/finsky/download/DownloadQueue;
.param p2, "marketVersion" # I

.prologue
const/4 v1, 0x0
return-void

.line 85
invoke-direct {p0}, Ljava/lang/Object;-><init>()V

.line 52
const/4 v0, 0x0

So, I added "return-void" as in above without really understanding much, but my Playstore crashes.
I recompiled and signed without adding "return-void", my Playstore works. Could you help me?

PS: I think I found the solution here.
https://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=1580827
Thank you anyway.

Last edited:

dtriguero

May 1, 2011
Husser
I think i managed to stop playstore from self updating. Its version 7.8.15.p-all [o][pr]15448550. I decompiled phonesky.apk found in /system/priv-app/phonesky/. I found two .smali files located in com/google/android/finsky/selfupdate/ named selfupdatecheckerscheduler i opened both and searched for 0x0 both only had one entry so changed the 0x0 to 0x1 in both and rebuilt/signed the apk. I replaced the original apk in /system/priv-app/phonesky with modded one set permissions to rw-r-r and rebooted. Cleared app data and all seems to be working but did have a couple times app stopped but was prior to clearing app data. It did pop up in my notifications off and on saying downloading google play like was updating but then would just go away as if the update was cancelled. So far google play has not been able to self update but can update my other apps auto or manually as well as install new apps. Hopefully this can help others looking to stop google play from self updating.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Hi Everybody,

I have find a way to disable Playstore auto update. Its very usefull when you theme Playstore and want to prevent auto update by itself at each new Playstore version.

Before recompile your themed version, go into smali/com/google/android/finsky/utils/

* Edit SelfUpdateScheduler.smali with Notepad ++

* Add just under const/4 v2, 0x0 (line 41 for me)

Code:
     return-void

* Record changes and recompile your Apk

I think i managed to stop playstore from self updating. Its version 7.8.15.p-all [o][pr]15448550. I decompiled phonesky.apk found in /system/priv-app/phonesky/. I found two .smali files located in com/google/android/finsky/selfupdate/ named selfupdatecheckerscheduler i opened both and searched for 0x0 both only had one entry so changed the 0x0 to 0x1 in both and rebuilt/signed the apk. I replaced the original apk in /system/priv-app/phonesky with modded one set permissions to rw-r-r and rebooted. Cleared app data and all seems to be working but did have a couple times app stopped but was prior to clearing app data. It did pop up in my notifications off and on saying downloading google play like was updating but then would just go away as if the update was cancelled. So far google play has not been able to self update but can update my other apps auto or manually as well as install new apps. Hopefully this can help others looking to stop google play from self updating.