• Introducing XDA Computing: Discussion zones for Hardware, Software, and more!    Check it out!
  • Fill out your device list and let everyone know which phones you have!    Edit Your Device Inventory

[DEV] [Magisk] Official Pixel (XL) Support is Here!

Search This thread

rcmartin57

Feb 8, 2010
Questions, is anyone having issues installing YouTube patch. It will download and flash but does not show up in applications. I update to the April security update.

rcmartin57

Feb 8, 2010
Here is what the YouTube patch looks like.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20180409-085730.jpg
    Screenshot_20180409-085730.jpg
    249.1 KB · Views: 298

jawiler

May 7, 2010
trouble re-installing Magisk

Hi,
After running the April update (flash-all.bat) I can't get Magisk to reinstall. In the past after updating I just had to re-run the Magisk.zip file in TWRP and was good to go. This month I tried doing the same and it appeared to install, but then I reboot, it just stays on the "G" screen and won't go any further. I've tried upgrading to the latest TWRP and Magisk 16.3, but it still does the same thing. I must be doing something stupid, I just can't figure out what. Any thoughts?
thanks in advance!

Jinded

Dec 9, 2010
Hi,
After running the April update (flash-all.bat) I can't get Magisk to reinstall. In the past after updating I just had to re-run the Magisk.zip file in TWRP and was good to go. This month I tried doing the same and it appeared to install, but then I reboot, it just stays on the "G" screen and won't go any further. I've tried upgrading to the latest TWRP and Magisk 16.3, but it still does the same thing. I must be doing something stupid, I just can't figure out what. Any thoughts?
thanks in advance!
Are you checking to make sure you're flashing Magisk to the same Slot as the system is installed?

Reactions: jawiler

dddtc2005

Sep 14, 2010
Shanghai
I've also never had a successful OTA update and I always have to flash magisk again using my desktop.

Same here, never got successful OTA following the tips from Magisk.
Today I did a fresh test with the following steps:
1. Flash Mar's release (opm1.171019.021) via factory image, completely fresh.
2. Install twrp 3.2.1-2 but didn't allow its modification on partition.
3. Flash Magisk 16.0 from twrp
4. Try OTA for Apr's security patch

Still no luck with the same error complains the hash of partition doesn't match. Logcats shows:
Code:
04-30 16:34:24.168   742   742 E update_engine: [0430/163424:ERROR:delta_performer.cc(1065)] The hash of the source data on disk for this operation doesn't match the expected value. This could mean that the delta update payload was targeted for another version, or that the source partition was modified after it was installed, for example, by mounting a filesystem.
04-30 16:34:24.168   742   742 E update_engine: [0430/163424:ERROR:delta_performer.cc(1070)] Expected:   sha256|hex = 9C3E13F941CC1D50E7740AC6D4449907B91A6A4E5C9C933BEEDD8493FEC089C4
04-30 16:34:24.168   742   742 E update_engine: [0430/163424:ERROR:delta_performer.cc(1073)] Calculated: sha256|hex = 3D7EA0E2CDDF66B479C200F2E2274E4E10C7B0DF1987BE4D8D337B57F607EF19
04-30 16:34:24.168   742   742 E update_engine: [0430/163424:ERROR:delta_performer.cc(1084)] Operation source (offset:size) in blocks: 0:5136,5313:2231
04-30 16:34:24.168   742   742 E update_engine: [0430/163424:ERROR:delta_performer.cc(1250)] ValidateSourceHash(source_hasher.raw_hash(), operation, error) failed.
04-30 16:34:24.169   742   742 E update_engine: [0430/163424:ERROR:delta_performer.cc(288)] Failed to perform SOURCE_BSDIFF operation 0, which is the operation 0 in partition "boot"
04-30 16:34:24.169   742   742 E update_engine: [0430/163424:ERROR:download_action.cc(325)] Error ErrorCode::kDownloadStateInitializationError (20) in DeltaPerformer's Write method when processing the received payload -- Terminating processing

So I guess either it's a bug of Magisk, or there is something wrong did by twrp?

Phalanx7621

Jul 17, 2011
Delaware
OnePlus 8 Pro
OK, so I have only had this phone for 24 hours, but for ANYONE new to this device or even those who may have been at it a while, just a reminder: make sure to ALWAYS restart back into the system at least once before trying to flash Magisk. I had installed TWRP via the booted up recovery from fastboot, then rebooted INTO recovery without booting all the way into the system and tried to flash Magisk. It failed with an error 1 every time. I was SO confused for about 5 minutes, until I realized I hadn't booted back into the system and then back into recovery. I know this may seem simple to some, but if I can help just ONE person having the same issue, I'll be happy.

funkybrunk

Sep 5, 2010
So I had to do a fresh install of P on my PXL (phone was running warm), and ever since, I cannot flash any modules (/Data/Magisk isn't set up properly). This is in both Magisk Manager and TWRP. It worked fine before, when I dirty flashed from O>P. Anyone have any ideas? I've reinstalled the P factory image and rerooted with Magisk 16.4.

jadensmith

Jul 8, 2013
Verizon Galaxy S7 Edge
How does flashing slot A and B work. I don't really understand this and tried searching.

I installed Oreo 8.1 on a Google Pixel XL,
installed TWRP 3.2.2
Installed Elemental X
flashed Magisk 16.4 (beta) rebooted
and everything appears to work, even after a few reboots. Then suddenly it'll suddenly say Magisk not installed, or the Saftey Net fails.

Do I need to be doing something special with Slot A & B? Also what about setting up a pin? Is that required for this whole process to work?

I'm thinking maybe I need to download a stock 8.1 extract the boot image? Allow magisk to modify it? Then re-zip it, and install it via the recovery mode with TWRP? Is this when I need to install it to Slot A & B?
Then set a pin at some point in this process? I've only been able to find fragments of what I think I need to do
then boot up,
then install elemental X?

Thanks

Homeboy76

Aug 24, 2012
How does flashing slot A and B work. I don't really understand this and tried searching.

I installed Oreo 8.1 on a Google Pixel XL,
installed TWRP 3.2.2
Installed Elemental X
flashed Magisk 16.4 (beta) rebooted
and everything appears to work, even after a few reboots. Then suddenly it'll suddenly say Magisk not installed, or the Saftey Net fails.

Do I need to be doing something special with Slot A & B? Also what about setting up a pin? Is that required for this whole process to work?

I'm thinking maybe I need to download a stock 8.1 extract the boot image? Allow magisk to modify it? Then re-zip it, and install it via the recovery mode with TWRP? Is this when I need to install it to Slot A & B?
Then set a pin at some point in this process? I've only been able to find fragments of what I think I need to do
then boot up,
then install elemental X?

Thanks
If you installed android 8.1.0, go here:
[Guide] Pixel XL Android 8.1.0 (OREO) Unlock/Lock Bootloader + Install Stock Images/Custom kernels/TWRP Recovery/Systemless ROOT/ +
Do #7 or #8 use Magisk 16.3Beta, it doesn't lose root.

Last edited:
Reactions: GateWayGee

robertelam83

May 21, 2015
California
@topjohnwu just to let you know after updating Magisk my TWRP disappeared. When I try booting to recovery it puts me into the bootloader. So I tried to go into stock recovery and it just kicks me back into the bootloader. So no recovery.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Greetings!
    The latest beta (v14.1) of Magisk just dropped (Magisk Beta Thread), which is the first release to officially support Pixel (XL).
    Before I spend more time investigating TWRP and Magisk combination, please refrain from flashing Magisk through TWRP installed in your boot image (because Magisk cannot get a 100% stock boot backup)

The recommended way to install Magisk on Pixel (XL) are
    • Fastboot boot this TWRP Image, and flash the Magisk zip
    • Get a stock boot image (download the full factory image here), and patch via Magisk Manager, then flash the patched boot by fastboot
    Once you got over the ""initial pain" and get Magisk installed with proper stock boot image backup, it is very easy to migrate Magisk across OTA updates on Pixel devices.

This thread is not a support thread, all bug reports should be in the Magisk Beta Thread, discussions should be in Magisk General Discussions

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    The followings are for Pixel (XL) developers:

I've written some descriptions on how Magisk works on Pixel devices in my Release Notes for v14.1.
    You can directly check MagiskInit's code here. The code is fairly simple so you should get the idea.
    However, I'm still fairly new to Pixel development, and I'm not sure how current custom roms and custom kernels workaround the skip_initramfs thing. Instead of trying all custom roms and custom kernels out, I think it would be easier for me to just open a thread and ask :p
    I would like to have some insight from developers whether my Magisk solution can work well with current Pixel development projects. Since all my work is open source, if you have some suggestions to improve my work, please tell me and I'll be really grateful.
    How did you flashed them what is your Order ?

Stock Boot img , TWRP , MagisK , reboot .

Back to recovery

ElementalX , TWRP , MagisK , reboot.

Done.
    Works fine here " Android 8.0 "

ElementalX + Magisk 14.1 + Twrp 3.1.1-0 ( Twrp Sticks ) Root also works.
    Definitely doesn't apply to official Twrp 3.1.1

Yeah I think you're correct. When I first went to install everything I had to flash TWRP 1... Then reboot, then 2, then flash the Rom. It was a mess.

I just installed Magisk 14.2 and all I did was reboot into recovery, flash 3.1-1 and then flash Magisk14-2.zip and rebooted. Worked flawless.
    thanks for the link but i tried that too and apk doesnt seem to install.

The apk for Magisk Manager is in the flashable zip file, but the apk doesn't install when flashing Magisk, by design. You need to extract the apk from the zip file and install it; I installed it using the ES File Explorer app without any issues. When you open the zip file, the apk is in the "common" folder with a name of "magisk.apk".

---------- Post added at 02:29 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:45 PM ----------

@topjohnwu : Thank you for all of your hard work. I installed Magisk 14.2 successfully. SafetyNet check passes. I'm open up Android Pay. After adding it to Magisk Hide, I was able to open and use my banking app.

Here are my steps (all steps where a computer was needed, a Windows 7 PC was used):
    1. Downloaded and flashed Android 8.0.0 (OPR3.170623.007, Sep 2017).
    2. Went through first time setup.
    3. Installed ES File Explorer.
    4. On a PC, downloaded Magisk 14.2 flashable zip and osm0sis' latest Busybox Installer.
    5. On a PC, extracted Magisk Manager APK from Magisk 14.2 flashable zip (located in the "common" folder, with a name of "magisk.apk")
    6. On a PC, copied Magisk 14.2 flashable zip, magisk.apk, and osm0sis' Busybox installer to the Pixel XL.
    7. Rebooted Pixel XL to Download/fastboot mode
    8. Booted the appropriate TWRP image
    9. Flashed osm0sis' Busybox Installer.
    10. Flashed Magisk 14.2.
    11. Rebooted to System.
    12. Opened ES File Explorer.
    13. Enabled Root Explorer in ES File Explorer and granted it root permissions, when prompted.
    14. Browsed to where magisk.apk was stored.
    15. Opened magisk.apk and chose Install, where a prompt about installing from unknown sources popped up.
    16. Went to Settings and gave ES File Explorer permission to install from unknown sources.
    17. Back in ES File Explorer, installed magisk.apk.

After that, I opened up Magisk Manager. I did a SafetyNet check, and it passed. Lastly, I went to Magisk Hide and checked the boxes of the apps that need root hidden.