[DEV] [Magisk] Official Pixel (XL) Support is Here!

Search This thread

topjohnwu

Senior Recognized Developer / Inactive RC
Jan 31, 2012
Taipei
Greetings!
The latest beta (v14.1) of Magisk just dropped (Magisk Beta Thread), which is the first release to officially support Pixel (XL).
Before I spend more time investigating TWRP and Magisk combination, please refrain from flashing Magisk through TWRP installed in your boot image (because Magisk cannot get a 100% stock boot backup)

The recommended way to install Magisk on Pixel (XL) are
  • Fastboot boot this TWRP Image, and flash the Magisk zip
  • Get a stock boot image (download the full factory image here), and patch via Magisk Manager, then flash the patched boot by fastboot
Once you got over the ""initial pain" and get Magisk installed with proper stock boot image backup, it is very easy to migrate Magisk across OTA updates on Pixel devices.

This thread is not a support thread, all bug reports should be in the Magisk Beta Thread, discussions should be in Magisk General Discussions

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
The followings are for Pixel (XL) developers:

I've written some descriptions on how Magisk works on Pixel devices in my Release Notes for v14.1.
You can directly check MagiskInit's code here. The code is fairly simple so you should get the idea.
However, I'm still fairly new to Pixel development, and I'm not sure how current custom roms and custom kernels workaround the skip_initramfs thing. Instead of trying all custom roms and custom kernels out, I think it would be easier for me to just open a thread and ask :p
I would like to have some insight from developers whether my Magisk solution can work well with current Pixel development projects. Since all my work is open source, if you have some suggestions to improve my work, please tell me and I'll be really grateful.

Last edited:

likonvampire

Sep 24, 2012
BRAMPTON
Hello

I am currently on stock , so for me the steps will be :

Fastboot TWRP , install Magisk and reboot
Reboot to recovery
EX kernel , TWRP, Magist and reboot

Correct ?

chowtom

Jul 15, 2007
Everything works fine except mobile network connection after install 14.1 beta.
Can make/receive call, but can't connect to mobile network.
My install step is:
1.flash-all with opr3 full package.
2.Setup Pin code. ( mobile network works)
3.Flash both boot slot with stock boot.img. (mobile network works)
4.Boot to twrp 3.1 and install ElementalX 2.01 than reboot. (mobile network works)
5..Boot to twrp 3.1 and install Magisk 14.1beta than reboot. (mobile network fail)
6.Full uninstall Magisk with Magisk Manager than reboot. (mobile network works again)

Anyone has the same problem?

Falitheman

Nov 27, 2015
I'm still on a custom rom based on 7.1.2 and all i had to do is flash magisk 14.1 zip using twrp RC2. Everything works fine. Had to manually install magisk manager tho.

george241312

Jan 3, 2010
My install step is:
4.Boot to twrp 3.1 and install ElementalX 2.01 than reboot. (mobile network works)
5..Boot to twrp 3.1 and install Magisk 14.1beta than reboot. (mobile network fail)
6.Full uninstall Magisk with Magisk Manager than reboot. (mobile network works again)

No problem here was 8.0 stock latest installed 14.1 and everything works.

jschill31

Jul 14, 2010
Midwest
Rockstar! Nice to be certified once again...

Thank you

---------- Post added at 01:13 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:08 PM ----------

If i'm already rooted and on Su and SuHide, how does one go about installing Magisk

Hello,

Follow the instructions on the SULite site for removal and also uninstall the SU app itself. Download the full September Oreo zip and remove the -w from the bat file. Then execute the bat file from bootloader which will flash the full Oreo image. This will give you a new boot image that is not rooted and one Magisk can patch.

Cheers

Tycff

Jul 5, 2011
My install step is:

Yep, worked fine after flashing rom then magisk. Rebooted to flash EX kernel, after coming back magisk manager said it wasn't installed. Rebooted, flashed magisk again, came back and I had no mobile network connection, and my wifi connection appeared to work fine but in actuality nothing loaded. Also, camera was totally blank.

Update: Magisk 14.2 (just released) seems to fix issues with networking and camera. Running EX and Magisk together without issue, except...
SafetyNet check in Magisk shows both checks as false, and I can confirm as I'm unable to sign into snapchat lol.

One more update: Netflix and root checker behave how they should with Magisk hide enabled, but SafetyNet test, Magisk's SafetyNet checker, and Snapchat don't. Have tried turning off USB debugging, Magisk Hide box is checked, and SELinux is Enforcing. Just trying to be thorough with info I give.

Last edited:

kxf41

Mar 21, 2011
Are you able to use the sky go app with Magisk 14.1 on the Pixel? Suhide fails to hide root from sky go

Last edited:

HiM@L

Nov 5, 2010
any one have the issue where you don't have magisk manager installed after flashing 14.2? or am i doing something wrong?

HiM@L

Nov 5, 2010
you have to download and install the apk separately

EDIT: hm... not seeing a download for the 5.3.5 version of the app :S

yup, I didnt see it either so i assumed it must install apk while flashing like it used to.
i dont see any apk to download and i dont see anything mentioned about this.
attaching recovery log. hope it helps @topjohnwu

Attachments

• recovery.log
    37.7 KB · Views: 3

WarningHPB

Feb 6, 2011
yup, I didnt see it either so i assumed it must install apk while flashing like it used to.
i dont see any apk to download and i dont see anything mentioned about this.
attaching recovery log. hope it helps @topjohnwu

apologies i edited my post a few times you might not have seen the second one there's a download link on the git hub

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Greetings!
    The latest beta (v14.1) of Magisk just dropped (Magisk Beta Thread), which is the first release to officially support Pixel (XL).
    Before I spend more time investigating TWRP and Magisk combination, please refrain from flashing Magisk through TWRP installed in your boot image (because Magisk cannot get a 100% stock boot backup)

The recommended way to install Magisk on Pixel (XL) are
    • Fastboot boot this TWRP Image, and flash the Magisk zip
    • Get a stock boot image (download the full factory image here), and patch via Magisk Manager, then flash the patched boot by fastboot
    Once you got over the ""initial pain" and get Magisk installed with proper stock boot image backup, it is very easy to migrate Magisk across OTA updates on Pixel devices.

This thread is not a support thread, all bug reports should be in the Magisk Beta Thread, discussions should be in Magisk General Discussions

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    The followings are for Pixel (XL) developers:

I've written some descriptions on how Magisk works on Pixel devices in my Release Notes for v14.1.
    You can directly check MagiskInit's code here. The code is fairly simple so you should get the idea.
    However, I'm still fairly new to Pixel development, and I'm not sure how current custom roms and custom kernels workaround the skip_initramfs thing. Instead of trying all custom roms and custom kernels out, I think it would be easier for me to just open a thread and ask :p
    I would like to have some insight from developers whether my Magisk solution can work well with current Pixel development projects. Since all my work is open source, if you have some suggestions to improve my work, please tell me and I'll be really grateful.
    How did you flashed them what is your Order ?

Stock Boot img , TWRP , MagisK , reboot .

Back to recovery

ElementalX , TWRP , MagisK , reboot.

Done.
    Works fine here " Android 8.0 "

ElementalX + Magisk 14.1 + Twrp 3.1.1-0 ( Twrp Sticks ) Root also works.
    Definitely doesn't apply to official Twrp 3.1.1

Yeah I think you're correct. When I first went to install everything I had to flash TWRP 1... Then reboot, then 2, then flash the Rom. It was a mess.

I just installed Magisk 14.2 and all I did was reboot into recovery, flash 3.1-1 and then flash Magisk14-2.zip and rebooted. Worked flawless.
    thanks for the link but i tried that too and apk doesnt seem to install.

The apk for Magisk Manager is in the flashable zip file, but the apk doesn't install when flashing Magisk, by design. You need to extract the apk from the zip file and install it; I installed it using the ES File Explorer app without any issues. When you open the zip file, the apk is in the "common" folder with a name of "magisk.apk".

---------- Post added at 02:29 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:45 PM ----------

@topjohnwu : Thank you for all of your hard work. I installed Magisk 14.2 successfully. SafetyNet check passes. I'm open up Android Pay. After adding it to Magisk Hide, I was able to open and use my banking app.

Here are my steps (all steps where a computer was needed, a Windows 7 PC was used):
    1. Downloaded and flashed Android 8.0.0 (OPR3.170623.007, Sep 2017).
    2. Went through first time setup.
    3. Installed ES File Explorer.
    4. On a PC, downloaded Magisk 14.2 flashable zip and osm0sis' latest Busybox Installer.
    5. On a PC, extracted Magisk Manager APK from Magisk 14.2 flashable zip (located in the "common" folder, with a name of "magisk.apk")
    6. On a PC, copied Magisk 14.2 flashable zip, magisk.apk, and osm0sis' Busybox installer to the Pixel XL.
    7. Rebooted Pixel XL to Download/fastboot mode
    8. Booted the appropriate TWRP image
    9. Flashed osm0sis' Busybox Installer.
    10. Flashed Magisk 14.2.
    11. Rebooted to System.
    12. Opened ES File Explorer.
    13. Enabled Root Explorer in ES File Explorer and granted it root permissions, when prompted.
    14. Browsed to where magisk.apk was stored.
    15. Opened magisk.apk and chose Install, where a prompt about installing from unknown sources popped up.
    16. Went to Settings and gave ES File Explorer permission to install from unknown sources.
    17. Back in ES File Explorer, installed magisk.apk.

After that, I opened up Magisk Manager. I did a SafetyNet check, and it passed. Lastly, I went to Magisk Hide and checked the boxes of the apps that need root hidden.