[DEV] [Magisk] Official Pixel (XL) Support is Here!

Search This thread

tonyfiore75

Nov 2, 2010
New York, NY
I'm trying to downgrade my TWRP to 3.2.0. I have MagisK installed. Every time try to flash 3.2.0 I get the error:

Error: Unpacking boot image B failed
Aborting
Failed to patch boot image!

I'm guessing this is because of the MagisK installation. But even when I try to uninstall MagisK I still get the same error. I'm guessing that I'll just have to flash an untainted 8.1 image but I was wondering if any of you might have a workaround? Basically, I want to flash a custom ROM and I need 3.2.0 in order to do that.

Thanks in advance.

J

joeeboogz

I'm trying to downgrade my TWRP to 3.2.0. I have MagisK installed. Every time try to flash 3.2.0 I get the error:

Aborting

I'm guessing this is because of the MagisK installation. But even when I try to uninstall MagisK I still get the same error. I'm guessing that I'll just have to flash an untainted 8.1 image but I was wondering if any of you might have a workaround? Basically, I want to flash a custom ROM and I need 3.2.0 in order to do that.

Thanks in advance.
I just flash 3.2.0 zip file in twrp try beating on slot a

Jinded

Dec 9, 2010
How are you trying to flash TWRP? Have you tried booting the TWRP image using fastboot, then flashing the TWRP zip?

1) Download twrp-3.2.0-0-marlin.IMG to computer
2) Copy twrp-pixel-installer-marlin-3.2.0-0.ZIP to phone
3) Connect your phone to USB and fastboot boot twrp-3.2.0-0-marlin.img
4) Flash twrp-pixel-installer-marlin-3.2.0-0.zip

Reactions: tonyfiore75

tonyfiore75

Nov 2, 2010
New York, NY
How are you trying to flash TWRP? Have you tried booting the TWRP image using fastboot, then flashing the TWRP zip?

1) Download twrp-3.2.0-0-marlin.IMG to computer
2) Copy twrp-pixel-installer-marlin-3.2.0-0.ZIP to phone
3) Connect your phone to USB and fastboot boot twrp-3.2.0-0-marlin.img
4) Flash twrp-pixel-installer-marlin-3.2.0-0.zip

Well since I already have TWRP 3.2.1 I figured I could just flash 3.2.0 via TWRP. Apparently not. I'm at work so I don't have access to Fastboot here. But yeah, I was thinking when I went home I could just flash TWRP via Fastboot on my laptop. But thank you for clarifying the steps. It helps!

Gibby1310

Dec 10, 2010
Anyone try v16 yet? I am still on 14.2 as the only one that will work for me, and I have apps the will lose root access throughout the day and.

bakageta

Jan 19, 2010

Aborting

I had the same problem, here's the solution. The 3.2.0 zip checks what boot.img is flashed to both slot A and B before installing and the factory restore script flashes slot A and wipes slot B by default, so there's no valid boot.img in slot B to patch. You need to make sure both slot A and B have a valid boot.img, the easiest way is to reboot into the bootloader and use fastboot to reflash the stock boot image into both slots. Then just use fastboot to boot twrp 3.2.1, and flash 3.2.0 normally.

Code:
fastboot flash boot --slot all boot.img
fastboot boot twrp-3.2.1-0-sailfish.img

buski

Dec 18, 2012
Montreal
When i download ota i get error...
I followed what was said in tutorial so i dont know what i do wrong

Scottay5150

Jan 3, 2011
Google Pixel 6 Pro
Interesting situation. I am on March Resurrection Remix and I just installed Magisk 16.0, now the phone is slow to unlock. Any ideas? Thanks in advance.

Last edited:

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Greetings!
    The latest beta (v14.1) of Magisk just dropped (Magisk Beta Thread), which is the first release to officially support Pixel (XL).
    Before I spend more time investigating TWRP and Magisk combination, please refrain from flashing Magisk through TWRP installed in your boot image (because Magisk cannot get a 100% stock boot backup)

The recommended way to install Magisk on Pixel (XL) are
    • Fastboot boot this TWRP Image, and flash the Magisk zip
    • Get a stock boot image (download the full factory image here), and patch via Magisk Manager, then flash the patched boot by fastboot
    Once you got over the ""initial pain" and get Magisk installed with proper stock boot image backup, it is very easy to migrate Magisk across OTA updates on Pixel devices.

This thread is not a support thread, all bug reports should be in the Magisk Beta Thread, discussions should be in Magisk General Discussions

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    The followings are for Pixel (XL) developers:

I've written some descriptions on how Magisk works on Pixel devices in my Release Notes for v14.1.
    You can directly check MagiskInit's code here. The code is fairly simple so you should get the idea.
    However, I'm still fairly new to Pixel development, and I'm not sure how current custom roms and custom kernels workaround the skip_initramfs thing. Instead of trying all custom roms and custom kernels out, I think it would be easier for me to just open a thread and ask :p
    I would like to have some insight from developers whether my Magisk solution can work well with current Pixel development projects. Since all my work is open source, if you have some suggestions to improve my work, please tell me and I'll be really grateful.
    How did you flashed them what is your Order ?

Stock Boot img , TWRP , MagisK , reboot .

Back to recovery

ElementalX , TWRP , MagisK , reboot.

Done.
    Works fine here " Android 8.0 "

ElementalX + Magisk 14.1 + Twrp 3.1.1-0 ( Twrp Sticks ) Root also works.
    Definitely doesn't apply to official Twrp 3.1.1

Yeah I think you're correct. When I first went to install everything I had to flash TWRP 1... Then reboot, then 2, then flash the Rom. It was a mess.

I just installed Magisk 14.2 and all I did was reboot into recovery, flash 3.1-1 and then flash Magisk14-2.zip and rebooted. Worked flawless.
    thanks for the link but i tried that too and apk doesnt seem to install.

The apk for Magisk Manager is in the flashable zip file, but the apk doesn't install when flashing Magisk, by design. You need to extract the apk from the zip file and install it; I installed it using the ES File Explorer app without any issues. When you open the zip file, the apk is in the "common" folder with a name of "magisk.apk".

---------- Post added at 02:29 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:45 PM ----------

@topjohnwu : Thank you for all of your hard work. I installed Magisk 14.2 successfully. SafetyNet check passes. I'm open up Android Pay. After adding it to Magisk Hide, I was able to open and use my banking app.

Here are my steps (all steps where a computer was needed, a Windows 7 PC was used):
    1. Downloaded and flashed Android 8.0.0 (OPR3.170623.007, Sep 2017).
    2. Went through first time setup.
    3. Installed ES File Explorer.
    4. On a PC, downloaded Magisk 14.2 flashable zip and osm0sis' latest Busybox Installer.
    5. On a PC, extracted Magisk Manager APK from Magisk 14.2 flashable zip (located in the "common" folder, with a name of "magisk.apk")
    6. On a PC, copied Magisk 14.2 flashable zip, magisk.apk, and osm0sis' Busybox installer to the Pixel XL.
    7. Rebooted Pixel XL to Download/fastboot mode
    8. Booted the appropriate TWRP image
    9. Flashed osm0sis' Busybox Installer.
    10. Flashed Magisk 14.2.
    11. Rebooted to System.
    12. Opened ES File Explorer.
    13. Enabled Root Explorer in ES File Explorer and granted it root permissions, when prompted.
    14. Browsed to where magisk.apk was stored.
    15. Opened magisk.apk and chose Install, where a prompt about installing from unknown sources popped up.
    16. Went to Settings and gave ES File Explorer permission to install from unknown sources.
    17. Back in ES File Explorer, installed magisk.apk.

After that, I opened up Magisk Manager. I did a SafetyNet check, and it passed. Lastly, I went to Magisk Hide and checked the boxes of the apps that need root hidden.