[DEV] [MOD] [HOW-TO] Remove connection optimizer spyware - Note2 MA7

Search This thread

digiblur

Jul 24, 2007
Please give thanks/credit if you use this in your ROM - Donations are also appreciated!

Some may argue this but I find the connection optimizer to be spyware'ish with everything it tracks does in the background. I can handle my WiFi connections myself and do not need my phone automatically jumping onto an open WiFi access point. I prefer to use a VPN connection when using open WiFi so all of my traffic is encrypted and prevents the script kiddies from sniffing my traffic in public places.

Connection Manager still runs even if you turn it off/opt-out. This fix will allow you to remove the ConnectionManager.apk from your device without causing force closes when going into your Mobile Networks settings.

Decompile SecPhone.apk (there a few files that need to be corrected to recompile. Search XDA as there are already threads on this)

Edit SecPhone/smali/com/android/phone/PhoneFeature.smali and modify the one line:

Code:
    const-string v8, "sprint_connections_optimizer"

invoke-virtual {v5}, Ljava/lang/Boolean;->booleanValue()Z

move-result v1

if-nez v1, :cond_2d

invoke-virtual {v7}, Ljava/lang/Boolean;->booleanValue()Z

move-result v1

if-eqz v1, :cond_50

:cond_2d
    [COLOR="Red"]--const/4 v1, 0x1[/COLOR]
    [COLOR="Green"]++const/4 v1, 0x0[/COLOR]

:goto_26

If you like this MOD and would like to see others please consider a donation via my profile. I encourage other developers to share their work in How-To's as well.

Last edited:

xKrisx

Jan 27, 2011
You can also disable the program through Settings > Applications > All and choose disable. Does not require Root.

Sent from my SPH-L900 using xda app-developers app

Reactions: austin420

z31k

Nov 15, 2010
Houston Tx
I usually remove it with titnium backup.. are there other files that need to be removed as well?

Sent from my SPH-L900 using xda premium

Tw1sted247

Nov 10, 2012
NorthWest
Yea digi great work yet again, appreciate you sharing it as well... Thank you as this type of thing is a big peeve of mine as well.

digiblur

Jul 24, 2007
Glad to see you guys enjoy these. I have a few other ones planned. It makes things easier for devs to focus on additional features and not reinventing the wheel plus we have them documented for future ROM bases.

If anyone has any suggestions for mod guides let me know and I'll look into doing them.

fryingpan0613

Jul 18, 2010
Central Florida
Google Pixel 6
Glad to see you guys enjoy these. I have a few other ones planned. It makes things easier for devs to focus on additional features and not reinventing the wheel plus we have them documented for future ROM bases.

If anyone has any suggestions for mod guides let me know and I'll look into doing them.

Thank you for how to's, I hate it when someone posts just the file. It helps out on those of us with less experience!

Sent from my SPH-L900 using Tapatalk 2

thabyrdman

Apr 15, 2011
Muskegon, Mi.
Worked great thanks....

sent From My LabRats Edition Galaxy Note 2

User_Banner.jp

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Please give thanks/credit if you use this in your ROM - Donations are also appreciated!

Some may argue this but I find the connection optimizer to be spyware'ish with everything it tracks does in the background. I can handle my WiFi connections myself and do not need my phone automatically jumping onto an open WiFi access point. I prefer to use a VPN connection when using open WiFi so all of my traffic is encrypted and prevents the script kiddies from sniffing my traffic in public places.

Connection Manager still runs even if you turn it off/opt-out. This fix will allow you to remove the ConnectionManager.apk from your device without causing force closes when going into your Mobile Networks settings.

Decompile SecPhone.apk (there a few files that need to be corrected to recompile. Search XDA as there are already threads on this)

Edit SecPhone/smali/com/android/phone/PhoneFeature.smali and modify the one line:

Code:
        const-string v8, "sprint_connections_optimizer"

invoke-virtual {v5}, Ljava/lang/Boolean;->booleanValue()Z

move-result v1

if-nez v1, :cond_2d

invoke-virtual {v7}, Ljava/lang/Boolean;->booleanValue()Z

move-result v1

if-eqz v1, :cond_50

:cond_2d
        [COLOR="Red"]--const/4 v1, 0x1[/COLOR]
        [COLOR="Green"]++const/4 v1, 0x0[/COLOR]

:goto_26

If you like this MOD and would like to see others please consider a donation via my profile. I encourage other developers to share their work in How-To's as well.
    I usually remove it with titnium backup.. are there other files that need to be removed as well?

Sent from my SPH-L900 using xda premium

From the OP:

This fix will allow you to remove the ConnectionManager.apk from your device without causing force closes when going into your Mobile Networks settings.
    if anybody get a chance to do this and is kind enough to mirror a copy of the modified sec.phone.apk, that would be much appreciated. cheers.

I have one here (includes the roaming notification removal as well).

http://xdaforums.com/showpost.php?p=38866068&postcount=158
    I'm a knucklehead :)
    Don't think so. Assumed it wouldn't call upon the apk if smali mod was completed and haven't started any debloat yet...think I need to start! That's it.
    Thanks digi. Will edit post
    Damn "optimizer"...

The APK still kicks up and runs with the edit. The edit was just to remove it from the network settings and a few other little calls. The options flag made it super easy to do.
    You can also disable the program through Settings > Applications > All and choose disable. Does not require Root.

Sent from my SPH-L900 using xda app-developers app

Correct but I prefer the method of not being there at all.