[DEV][PORTING][I9300] Linux 3.4.x/3.1x.x Kernel for i9300/ feature requests welcome

Search This thread

ztotherad

Aug 17, 2011
Illinois

the only problem with the Sprint S3 kernel source is that it's CPU isn't exynos, it's using a Qualcomm Snapdragon. the only S3 that is using the same CPU as the Note 2 variants is the i9300 and the i9305 (which seems to match the Note 2 perfectly)

thanks though, hopefully we can use some of that in our own source to bring a true badass 3.4 linux kernel! or wait till samsung decides to update the Note 2 & others to 3.4 with the 4.4 update....

XeLLaR*

Jun 25, 2012
DevConnection
Hey Markey,

Nice to meet you here again. Ive got myself a i9300 after my Xperia Z and Nexus 4 have been destroyed. I highly doubt you can port the 3.4 Kernel for a device like this. We barely managed to port the 3.4 Kernel for the S+, because it had a Snapdragon S2 msm7x30 CPU which was very common and had alot of sources available. Also CAF helped us out alot with their sources.
Exynos is a bit messed up because there arent sources, good enough to start with. You basically have to take a kernel from a similar device and try to start from there.

Gz
X

Sepp-Wurzel

Sep 20, 2012
Hey Markey,

Nice to meet you here again. Ive got myself a i9300 after my Xperia Z and Nexus 4 have been destroyed. I highly doubt you can port the 3.4 Kernel for a device like this. We barely managed to port the 3.4 Kernel for the S+, because it had a Snapdragon S2 msm7x30 CPU which was very common and had alot of sources available. Also CAF helped us out alot with their sources.
Exynos is a bit messed up because there arent sources, good enough to start with. You basically have to take a kernel from a similar device and try to start from there.

Gz
X

Hey Xellar,

Great to see you in the S3 scene. You and DevCon did a great job on the S+.

Sent from my GT-I9305 using XDA Free mobile app

Cocolopes

Sep 29, 2010
Rosario
Hey Markey,

Gz
X

Everything its posible.. @krystianp and other devs allmost port 3.x.x kernel to the atrix...and they made it from scratch with out any sources from motorola...I know its a hard work...but we have faith in the devs...;)

I read that samsung release kitkat kernel sources for s3 i9300...maybe that could help...

Saludos

ztotherad

Aug 17, 2011
Illinois
Everything its posible.. @krystianp and other devs allmost port 3.x.x kernel to the atrix...and they made it from scratch with out any sources from motorola...I know its a hard work...but we have faith in the devs...;)

I read that samsung release kitkat kernel sources for s3 i9300...maybe that could help...

Saludos

honestly it wouldnt hurt to look at the sources real super quick.

Reactions: Cocolopes

DerTeufel1980

Inactive Recognized Developer
Jul 31, 2011

Saludos

There are kernel sources provided by Motorola. They ported it to 3.1. That's basically the same thing as discussed here

Gesendet von meinem T0LTE mit Tapatalk 2

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Hey Guys and Girls!

I own this device since quite a short time and i wanted to ask if any developer is willing to port the 3.4.x kernel to our S3 i9300, since it would bring us some big performance, stability and security enhancements since we are stuck at 3.0.101. We would really profit of this as its much more actual and better for coming upgrades. Please correct me if there are already some devs trying to port this or if anything else is wrong.
    My previous device was/is the Samsung Galaxy S Plus and we got a 3.4.x kernel that runs very well and gave us some big improvements. We officially only got Android 2.3.6 with a 2.6.x kernel and our great devs managed to found a dev team and to bring us a fully working 3.0.x and 3.4.x kernel and Android 4.0 to latest 4.4.
    I could provide some github repositories and some more additional info if needed, just PM me if you want to start on this. I can't code or compile that much but i could provide nearly everything you need in my opinion.

Greets,
    markey97

Edit: I can try to port this on my own but i think that i most likely need YOUR help. Just to have that said
    Edit2: I mean the international S3 i9300
    Edit3: Changed title
    Edit4: Base for the kernel is there! Developement will start slowly in the following days/weeks and source will be pushed to github in some time.
    Edit5: I will port this on my own, if anyone wants/ is willing to help me, PM me. I will show you my detailed progress here and will maybe give an ETA, but if i don't, don't ask for it since i also have private live, and i will code and provide you with info when I'm free and when i want to.

Feel free to post feature requests/suggestions over here in the thread!!
    because this is the s3/note developer only forums.

edit: this get left in the dark?
    You mean if this thread is dead or the project abandoned?
    No its not, i just don't have enough time to work on this till Christmas (school..arggh:mad:) but then i will try to port it in a time span of 2 weeks or so. Lol.
    I'm searching for the source base and what I need to port it and then I will start when my holidays start. Yeeeah!:victory::cool:
    Greets:highfive:,
    markey97

That looks promising, big thanks for that info :highfive:
    If that's real that it is a 3.4 kernel, our work could get a lot more easier. Downloading the code atm and will check it and report it. And if its 3.4, I will directly start to (try to) "port" it over so that we can have 3.4 kernel by the end of the next week! :thumbsup:
    Could anyone be so kind to enlighten me why this thread about "i9300" appeares in every note 2 forum on xda? each time i want to jump straight to i9300 it gets me first through all the note 2 forums. this is kind of silly.

am i the only one getting to see this thread in the note 2 forums?

because this is the s3/note developer only forums.

edit: this get left in the dark?
Our Apps
Get our official app!
The best way to access XDA on your phone
Nav Gestures
Add swipe gestures to any Android
One Handed Mode
Eases uses one hand with your phone