[DEV][Porting] Ubuntu Touch on Galaxy Note II (GT-N7100)

Bert.C

Aug 21, 2010
Well... seems like blobs are at correct place, when I place them in vendor folder, it gives me duplicate error....

And about kernel, I tried flashing some other kernel right after installation and the result was same :(

Did you manage to fix your problem?

And also, that Ubuntu compiled, but zip size was only 25mb!
I fixed my compile issues but didnt look into why it didnt boot.

And my build was only 38mb i think so that sounds about right.

I bet that its something to do with kernel why ot doesnt boot. And it needs to be a specific kernel as there are changes that need to be made to boot ubuntu.

Do a google search for ubuntu touch porting guide and youll see what kernel changes are needed.

Sent from my GT-N7100 using Tapatalk

Jaskaran498

Jul 29, 2012
Ludhiana
I fixed my compile issues but didnt look into why it didnt boot.

And my build was only 38mb i think so that sounds about right.

I bet that its something to do with kernel why ot doesnt boot. And it needs to be a specific kernel as there are changes that need to be made to boot ubuntu.

Do a google search for ubuntu touch porting guide and youll see what kernel changes are needed.

Ok, so I decided to port it myself from scratch without using Andro's sources.
But I got a question, I know of two ways to get repository (both get different repositories),
1)->
Code:
phablet-dev-bootstrap [target_directory]
2)->
Code:
repo init -u git://phablet.ubuntu.com/CyanogenMod/android.git -b phablet-trusty
Should I use same directory for them?

Bert.C

Aug 21, 2010
Ok, so I decided to port it myself from scratch without using Andro's sources.
But I got a question, I know of two ways to get repository (both get different repositories),
1)->
Code:
phablet-dev-bootstrap [target_directory]
2)->
Code:
repo init -u git://phablet.ubuntu.com/CyanogenMod/android.git -b phablet-trusty
Should I use same directory for them?
The first one will probably bring the latest sources where as the second one will fetch the trusty sources. I think thats where my port failed because i used the latest sources but an older preinstall - i think youve just solved my non boot problem :) will try it this weekend.

If you do go for the tsecond option id create a new directory to make sure theres no conflicts and make sure you get the correct preinstall file.

Reactions: Jaskaran498

Jaskaran498

Jul 29, 2012
Ludhiana
The first one will probably bring the latest sources where as the second one will fetch the trusty sources. I think thats where my port failed because i used the latest sources but an older preinstall - i think youve just solved my non boot problem :) will try it this weekend.

If you do go for the tsecond option id create a new directory to make sure theres no conflicts and make sure you get the correct preinstall file.

wait, now look at this->
I GOT SUCESSFUL IN BOOTING IT :D And a major thanks to you dude :)
(though it was saucy and now I am working on trusty, on which I will also work on bugs).
Let me tell you what I did (in case it helps you)->
* Normally got sources by bootstrap (it was a few days ago, the sources were then saucy which are now trusty).
* Commented out "Device settings" in devicecodename.mk (devices/manufacture/codename).
* Created a blank document called "export_includes" (forgot directory, just make it in directory in which it gives error).
* Modded kernel (now this was real tricky and tuffest part and I myself dont remember what I did, but I managed to boot with adb's help for telling me problems).
aah yeah not much big help (lol), but I am happy that I managed to boot it, even though it was basically functionless. Working on newer version now...
And an advice, 99%, its your kernel thats culprit (if your zip built fine without errors, just forget it, its your kernel doing evil stuff now). I was building 6 consectively working zips and none of them was booting, but on getting correct kernel edits, all of them booted (tested one by one lol), although the builds beoree those six (7th and 8th and so on) builds didn't work, just didn't delete them in case.....

Last edited:

Bert.C

Aug 21, 2010
wait, now look at this->
I GOT SUCESSFUL IN BOOTING IT :D And a major thanks to you dude :)
(though it was saucy and now I am working on trusty, on which I will also work on bugs).
Let me tell you what I did (in case it helps you)->
* Normally got sources by bootstrap (it was a few days ago, the sources were then saucy which are now trusty).
* Commented out "Device settings" in devicecodename.mk (devices/manufacture/codename).
* Created a blank document called "export_includes" (forgot directory, just make it in directory in which it gives error).
* Modded kernel (now this was real tricky and tuffest part and I myself dont remember what I did, but I managed to boot with adb's help for telling me problems).
aah yeah not much big help (lol), but I am happy that I managed to boot it, even though it was basically functionless. Working on newer version now...
And an advice, 99%, its your kernel thats culprit (if your zip built fine without errors, just forget it, its your kernel doing evil stuff now). I was building 6 consectively working zips and none of them was booting, but on getting correct kernel edits, all of them booted (tested one by one lol), although the builds beoree those six (7th and 8th and so on) builds didn't work, just didn't delete them in case.....
Yeah i thought i was working on saucy so i flashed that preinstall after my base so im going to try flashing the trusty preinstall and all should be good. If not ill double check my kernel edits. And try again.

Jaskaran498

Jul 29, 2012
Ludhiana
Yeah i thought i was working on saucy so i flashed that preinstall after my base so im going to try flashing the trusty preinstall and all should be good. If not ill double check my kernel edits. And try again.

Well... I am unable to get it to boot, and it seems like kernel. Any ideas how to port AppArmor to kernel??
I actually couldn't understand the tutorial on porting guide

And another question is that how should I include the already compiled *.so library files into build?
I mean, I just compared the working and non-working directories and found that in non-working build, following were missing in system/lib->
Code:
libandroid_runtime.so
libchromium_net.so
libdvm.so
libharfbuzz.so
libhwui.so
libstagefright_chromium_http.so
So I was thinking that if somehow I can include these files into my current build....?

Last edited:

Jaskaran498

Jul 29, 2012
Ludhiana
I had a little go at it but it wouldn't boot so I gave up and went to building a new aosp ROM.

Wel... I lost my S3 when it fell from my roof by my hands accidently, but one thing, if you are trying the trusty sources and using trust image, it will never boot cos trusty image is only for nexus devices. You need to get saucy sources and image. Thats how i got it to work, but damn... my S3 is useless now and I dont think I will repair it, maybe I am going to get a nexus 5 this time...
Use this repo for saucy source->

Code:
repo init -u git://phablet.ubuntu.com/CyanogenMod/android.git -b phablet-saucy

abhijitdroid

Nov 12, 2012
Mumbai
updates ???

I want to try ubuntu touch on my n7100. Can someone actually share rheir builds here with list of items not working in the build ?
I am not an expert in rom building so request you all developers to share your work here and I will test it.

UnidH4x0r

Nov 16, 2010
I want to try ubuntu touch on my n7100. Can someone actually share rheir builds here with list of items not working in the build ?
I am not an expert in rom building so request you all developers to share your work here and I will test it.
I don't think there are many builds that can let you use for day to day activities.. Too bad Canonical only has developed it for the Nexus line.

Reactions: abhijitdroid

m.b.jikre

Nov 30, 2012
Pune
Where is the working link, Error:

"Not Found

The requested URL /ubuntu-touch-preview/daily-preinstalled/current/quantal-preinstalled-phablet-armhf.zip was not found on this server.

Apache/2.2.14 (Ubuntu) Server at cdimages.ubuntu.com Port 80"

Reactions: v.cecchetto

johnoo

Dec 10, 2008
Bratislava
Does any of these roms works on Galaxy Note 2 LTE? GT-N7105??

Hello guys,
Is anybody using ubuntu touch on lte n7105 version? I'm asking because I'm about to buy it and plan to start using and hopefully learning to help develop ubuntu touch or make some apps for it on this phone can anyone confirm usability on n7105?
Thank you
btw. cant find exact answer anywhere online not even here. THX

krazzykiller

Jan 27, 2013
Woodstock alabama
I don't know a lot about this. But I would love it. I'm a Linux guy anyway. I've been watching this thing for years. And it seems like there just isn't enough interest in this old phone and Linux. Wish I had the time and energy to do it myself. After all there is 40 million plus note 2's in the world and most of them are probably collecting dust someplace. It would be good to do something with them all.

S

simplyme2908

I know this an old thread. But with new Ubuntu for phones having so.many cool features, I was thinking if anyone could build a new one? Ubuntu for phones has very minimal hardware requirement, it ran pretty smoothly on a Nexus 4 at MWC 2016. I was thinking it would give the note 2 a new lease of life?

---------- Post added at 06:07 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:04 PM ----------

@Trafalgar Square @psndna88 what do you think about this?