[DEV][ROM][UNOFFICIAL] LineageOS 15.1 (Android 8.1.0) for Raspberry Pi 3 B and B+

Search This thread

jpq

Mar 6, 2009
Marseille
Well after flashing gapps
when i'in twrp and i want toi reboot to go back lineageos,
i select terminal, type rp3.recovery.sh boot
and i get rp3.recovery.sh not found and i can reboot only to twrp
what else should do ?
tkx for help
note: i've a PI3 B+

Last edited:

KonstaT

Jan 20, 2016
KonstaKANG.com
Well after flashing gapps
when i'in twrp and i want toi reboot to go back lineageos,
i select terminal, type rp3.recovery.sh boot
and i get rp3.recovery.sh not found and i can reboot only to twrp
what else should do ?
tkx for help
note: i've a PI3 B+

Please read the FAQ. You need to have system partition mounted if you want to run the script.

Q: How to boot out of TWRP recovery?
A: You can execute the same script in TWRP terminal (Advanced->Terminal) if you have system partition mounted (Mount->System):
Code:
rpi3-recovery.sh boot
Or you can flash my recovery2boot zip in TWRP.

jpq

Mar 6, 2009
Marseille
I READ Q&A
I did exactly is writen after installing gapps
As i typed
rpi3.recovery.sh boot
i got rpi3.recovery.sh not found

I'm on RPI3 B+
So i ask again what shoul d i do to go reboot lineageOS
and pls don't tell me again to read Q&A ...
Tkx before your help

I foud the solution :
after flashing gapps : only data partition was mounted
so i mounted Boot and system partition
and then i could type rp3-revovery.sy boot
ian i could boot system
u should update your Q&A !!!

Last edited:

KonstaT

Jan 20, 2016
KonstaKANG.com
I READ Q&A
I did exactly is writen after installing gapps
As i typed
rpi3.recovery.sh boot
i got rpi3.recovery.sh not found

I'm on RPI3 B+
So i ask again what shoul d i do to go reboot lineageOS
and pls don't tell me again to read Q&A ...
Tkx before your help

I foud the solution :
after flashing gapps : only data partition was mounted
so i mounted Boot and system partition
and then i could type rp3-revovery.sy boot
ian i could boot system
u should update your Q&A !!!

LOL, what? You did what you were told to do (mount system partition) and surprisingly it worked. Or you can even flash the recovery2boot zip in TWRP if running the script is too difficult for you. FAQ is fine, I suggest you learn to read it! :p

A: You can execute the same script in TWRP terminal (Advanced->Terminal) if you have system partition mounted (Mount->System):
Code:
rpi3-recovery.sh boot

jpq

Mar 6, 2009
Marseille
I think u did not unerstand
i'll try to explain :
In twrp :
i installed gapps
after installing i wanted reboot out of twrp
in terminal i typed rp3.recovery.sh boot
exactly like u wote in Q&A
i got rp3.recovery.sh not found !!! <--- that's the problem

I looked which partitions were mounted : only data was mounted that's why i couldn't find rpi3.recovery.sh
i decided to mount sytem et boot partition and tried again
This time rp3.recovery.sh was found and worked.

The issue is not in your ROM but may be in TWRP : only /data mounted after flashing so i could not find rp3.recovery.sh

Maybe this issue is specific to RPI3 B+

KonstaT

Jan 20, 2016
KonstaKANG.com
I think u did not unerstand
i'll try to explain :
In twrp :
i installed gapps
after installing i wanted reboot out of twrp
in terminal i typed rp3.recovery.sh boot
exactly like u wote in Q&A
i got rp3.recovery.sh not found !!! <--- that's the problem

I looked which partitions were mounted : only data was mounted that's why i couldn't find rpi3.recovery.sh
i decided to mount sytem et boot partition and tried again
This time rp3.recovery.sh was found and worked.

The issue is not in your ROM but may be in TWRP : only /data mounted after flashing so i could not find rp3.recovery.sh

Maybe this issue is specific to RPI3 B+

No, you don't seem to understand. Like I've already explained several times, you need to have system partition mounted if you want to run the script and it also says so in the FAQ: "...if you have system partition mounted (Mount->System)"!

The script is actually located on the system partition (/system/bin/rpi3-recovery.sh) so of course it's 'not found' if you don't have system partition mounted in TWRP!

User specific error, nothing to do with RPI3 B+.

kettenschutz

Aug 2, 2008
hi konsta and special thanks for your efforts while compiling android for the raspberry 3b+
ive installed your version on my pi today and gave it a try. unfortunately the "display performance" is far away from "poor"
its not usable like this, for nothing. Yes it boots, and even network is loaded, so thumbs up ! But you cant do anything with it

im using my PI on an flat touchscreen to display a calendar in my home. i also do have a RING VIDEO DOORBELL but unfortunately there's no linux software for it. the idea was to SEE on the flat screen who is in front of the door if it rings
now i read about android on the PI 3b+ and thought YAY ***** NOW ITS GOING THROUGH!
But unfortunately it isnt :(
i cant even install an APK. file manager crashes, android is stucked, nothing happens. Choose one :)

do u know if theres an older version that works more smooth on the PI 3 B+? i havnt found anything in the web. Only one paid version by exblahblahguy. but no retentions. i would pay some bucks if it would be sure that it works as i need it (and the pi's hardware is strong enough for that)

long story short, Thanks for your developments. we all appreciate developers like you
coffee for you !

KonstaT

Jan 20, 2016
KonstaKANG.com
hi konsta and special thanks for your efforts while compiling android for the raspberry 3b+
ive installed your version on my pi today and gave it a try. unfortunately the "display performance" is far away from "poor"
its not usable like this, for nothing. Yes it boots, and even network is loaded, so thumbs up ! But you cant do anything with it

im using my PI on an flat touchscreen to display a calendar in my home. i also do have a RING VIDEO DOORBELL but unfortunately there's no linux software for it. the idea was to SEE on the flat screen who is in front of the door if it rings
now i read about android on the PI 3b+ and thought YAY ***** NOW ITS GOING THROUGH!
But unfortunately it isnt :(
i cant even install an APK. file manager crashes, android is stucked, nothing happens. Choose one :)

do u know if theres an older version that works more smooth on the PI 3 B+? i havnt found anything in the web. Only one paid version by exblahblahguy. but no retentions. i would pay some bucks if it would be sure that it works as i need it (and the pi's hardware is strong enough for that)

long story short, Thanks for your developments. we all appreciate developers like you
coffee for you !

My LineageOS 14.1 build doesn't support Pi 3 B+ for the reason explained in this post (https://forum.xda-developers.com/showpost.php?p=77593507&postcount=16). This is an open source project so you're most welcome to contribute and fix display performance or whatever other issues you may find. :)

There's one (Nougat, Linux 4.9 kernel) that is free to try and it's fine as far as I'm concerned. Then there's one paid version (Oreo, Linux 4.14 kernel) that is nothing but a build from my free and open source work (https://github.com/lineage-rpi) with some apps bundled in. Most definitely don't purchase that - ask for a refund if you have! There's GPLv2 licensing issues as well. :(

Last edited:

kettenschutz

Aug 2, 2008
mh thanks, but as mentioned i do already know about the one that isnt free and obviously a clone of yours

so im going back to raspbian to use at least google tables again

arnoldvillasanta

Oct 22, 2018
I installed lineage-15.1-20180706-UNOFFICIAL-KonstaKANG-rpi3 on B+, everything went well except that Camera is not detected (which works in Raspbian Stretch).

KonstaT

Jan 20, 2016
KonstaKANG.com
I installed lineage-15.1-20180706-UNOFFICIAL-KonstaKANG-rpi3 on B+, everything went well except that Camera is not detected (which works in Raspbian Stretch).

Only USB webcams (UVC) work with specific third party camera apps for the purpose. There's no support for Raspberry camera module (I don't have the hardware). This is open source so you're most welcome to implement that of course. :)

mangusta86

Nov 2, 2010
Norwich
Hi KonstaT, can you please share a quick tutorial for compiling your sources, had repo synced linage os 15.1 but has been quite a while since my last build and need some guidance. Back in the days I would have had only 3 git sources device, kernel and vendor, but I noticed you have some more. Can you clarify if all needed to get to your build, would like to replicate your result before starting working on it.

Many thanks

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Here’s my build of LineageOS 15.1 for Raspberry Pi 3 Model B and Model B+ (bluetooth does not currently work on the new plus model). It is unofficial and unsupported by the LineageOS team. It’s for advanced users only. This build currently uses Google’s SwiftShader software renderer so display performance is probably not what you’d expect. This build is not meant as a daily driver and it’s certainly not suitable for media device use.

Screenshot_Settings_20180630-144620.png

https://konstakang.com/devices/rpi3/LineageOS15.1/

lineage-15.1-20180706-UNOFFICIAL-KonstaKANG-rpi3.zip
    https://www.androidfilehost.com/?fid=5862345805528041370
    md5:257ade2f567223cf792023e2d75e5b75

Sources:

• Google for Android Things platform
    • peyo-hd and everyone who’s contributed to android-rpi
    • LineageOS team & everyone who’s been working on LineageOS 15.1
    How to install:
    1. Follow the official Raspberry Pi instructions for writing the image to the SD card (Linux, Mac, Windows).

FAQ:

Q: I can’t find developer options, why?
    A: Settings -> About phone -> Click ‘Build number’ several times

Q: I have no root, why? What is that hashtag on my status bar?
    A: You need enable root access under Settings -> Developer options -> Root access. Root management is now integrated as part of LineageOS’ Privacy Guard and you can manage per app permissions under Settings -> Developer options -> Manage root access. You’ll have a persistent notification in the status bar when you’re running an app that uses root permissions.

Q: Settings -> Storage shows xx GB used by system. There’s unallocated space on my sdcard. What should I do?
    A: This is a 4 GB image, remaining space on your sdcard will remain unallocated. Settings app shows unallocated space as used by system which in reality it is not. You can use e.g. GParted and extend /data partition (/dev/block/mmcblk0p4) to cover the unallocated space. Resizing the partition manually will break support for encrypting /data. Format /data in TWRP recovery (Wipe->Format data) after resizing to leave required space for crypto footer.

Q: Raspberry Pi doesn’t have power button, how do I power off/reboot my device?
    A: Following keyboard keys work as Android buttons: F1 = Home, F2 = Back, F3 = Multi-tasking, F4 = Menu, F5 = Power, F11 = Volume down, and F12 = Volume up. You can also use one of many third party reboot applications.

Q: How to boot to TWRP recovery?
    A: There’s currently no proper way to boot between Android and TWRP, but this can achieved by renaming the ramdisk you want to boot. Execute following commands in ‘adb shell’/serial console/terminal (you can enable built-in terminal app from Settings -> Developer options -> Local terminal) and reboot your device:
    Code:
    su
    rpi3-recovery.sh
    If mouse cursor doesn’t appear, try replugging your mouse.

Code:
    rpi3-recovery.sh boot

Q: How to install Google apps?
    1. Download MindTheGapps-8.1.0-arm-XXXXXXXX_XXXXXX.zip and save it to your device’s internal storage or use an external USB drive
    2. Boot to TWRP recovery (see FAQ)
    3. Install MindTheGapps-8.1.0-arm-XXXXXXXX_XXXXXX.zip from your selected storage
    4. Wipe->Factory reset!
    5. Boot out of recovery (see FAQ)
    Merged commits not mentioned in the changelog.

6.7. changelog:
    • update to Linux 4.14.53 kernel
    • add initial support for Pi 3 Model B+ (bluetooth does not currently work)
    • include TWRP 3.2.2-0 custom recovery (see FAQ how to boot)
    • build SwiftShader from source and update to master branch (improves graphics performance)
    • add support for encrypting the device

13.6. changelog:
    • update display drivers from Android Things 1.0
    • add support for USB webcams (UVC) with third party USB webcam apps
    • default to noop I/O scheduler
    • update to Linux 4.4.136 kernel and patch known vulnerabilities (CVE-xxxx-xxxx, and more)
    • Android security patch level: 5 June 2018 (merged)

7.3. changelog:
    • update display drivers from Android Things DP 7
    • update wifi firmware
    • update to Linux 4.4.120 kernel and patch known vulnerabilities (CVE-xxxx-xxxx, and more)
    • Android security patch level: 5 March 2018 (merged)

3.3. changelog:
    • initial release

Previous builds:
    Does this build support RCA video out. ?

Not sure, haven't tried and I don't even have a display with composite video in to test with. I'd say with LineageOS 14.1 and Linux 4.4 it's not supported (https://github.com/anholt/linux/issues/14). LineageOS 15.1 has a much newer kernel (4.14) but it doesn't even use the VC4 driver (Google's SwiftShader software renderer is used instead) so IDK.

You'd likely need to modify config.txt at least if you want to test this. https://www.raspberrypi.org/documentation/configuration/config-txt/video.md
    On my 3B I'm not getting any HDMI video output. It just shows a black screen.

Some displays might require modifying config.txt. https://www.raspberrypi.org/documentation/configuration/config-txt/video.md

720p is the max resolution this build currently supports.