[DEV][ROM][UNOFFICIAL] LineageOS 15.1 (Android 8.1.0) for Raspberry Pi 3 B and B+

Search This thread

KonstaT

Jan 20, 2016
KonstaKANG.com
Hi KonstaT, can you please share a quick tutorial for compiling your sources, had repo synced linage os 15.1 but has been quite a while since my last build and need some guidance. Back in the days I would have had only 3 git sources device, kernel and vendor, but I noticed you have some more. Can you clarify if all needed to get to your build, would like to replicate your result before starting working on it.

Many thanks

Build instructions are available here: https://github.com/lineage-rpi/android_local_manifest/tree/lineage-15.1

You'll need what's in the local manifest and couple of extra patches. Build process and creating the image is a bit different from regular LineageOS build where you'd just create a recovery flashable zip.

Last edited:

antoniodebian

Jan 11, 2019
problem and other info

hi to all, i install on rasperry pi 3 model B+ the LineageOS 15.1 and all work well, i see this problem:
i turn on the wifi, connect the raspberry to wifi but the system said me "Cisco03306 connected, no internet" can you help me?

now i have this question: if i buy shiled for rasberry, for example GPS, RADIO FM or Audio Digital Out this shield work on LineageOS?

best regards and excuse me for my bad english.
A.

KonstaT

Jan 20, 2016
KonstaKANG.com
hi to all, i install on rasperry pi 3 model B+ the LineageOS 15.1 and all work well, i see this problem:
i turn on the wifi, connect the raspberry to wifi but the system said me "Cisco03306 connected, no internet" can you help me?

now i have this question: if i buy shiled for rasberry, for example GPS, RADIO FM or Audio Digital Out this shield work on LineageOS?

best regards and excuse me for my bad english.
A.

I haven't received any reports about wifi issues. If rebooting/reconnecting your devices doesn't help, grab a logcat to see what's going on.

Not quite sure what you mean with a "shield". Some external USB GPS dongles are supported directly (e.g. 1546:01a7 U-Blox AG, etc) - some other might just require some configuration. FM radio won't work without some serious effort. It's impossible for me to support every piece of hardware that I don't have. As this is an open source project, adding support for certain piece of hardware is something that you can do yourself.

Last edited:

jonahmt21

Sep 17, 2012
i installed it on the pi 3 B+ just to see if it works. used etcher to create image and it booted up. attached keyboard and mouse, all good, but the gui is very sluggish, so i didnt get too excited to go further installing gapps and other stuff. will wait for the next build to see if its beter :)

thanks for your hard work! :)

mikesal57

Sep 30, 2010
Hi Guys...

I'm new with R Pi....

I installed 15.1 on the B+ model....

Besides watching it boot....is it a usable OS...???

I installed Titanium TV APK and it played horribly ...it would play for 40 secs...then freeze for 15 secs and then repeat back and forth....seemed like it was always trying to catch up

Is the 1 gig ram enough to keep this thing stable?
or are there tweaks to the settings i need to do?

Thxs
mike

kiai72

Jan 20, 2015
i only see a black screen (after rainbow-boot-screen) with the 16.0 version. 15.1 works.
i'm on a 3b+ - and i already tried to replace the config.txt of 16.0 with the config.txt of 15.1.
i tried another monitor as well.
still no luck.
any ideas ?

KonstaT

Jan 20, 2016
KonstaKANG.com
i only see a black screen (after rainbow-boot-screen) with the 16.0 version. 15.1 works.
i'm on a 3b+ - and i already tried to replace the config.txt of 16.0 with the config.txt of 15.1.
i tried another monitor as well.
still no luck.
any ideas ?

If you have problems with LineageOS 16.0 build why not post on that thread instead?

Similar display issues are just recently discussed on the last page of that topic. You need to use a display that supports 1280x720 resolution (and reports supported resolutions via EDID) or modify value of debug.drm.mode.force property in /system/build.prop to something it does.

ghatothkach

Jun 1, 2011
geehat.wordpress.com
hi
I have the RPi3, RPi3B(currenltly my libreElec media center) and the RPi4 (the new date..;) ) with me...

I would like to install and lean how this goes with the Rpi3 but I really want to see if I can help you (KonstaT) build the latest Lineage for RPi4.

G

goodjuju

Jul 25, 2013
Capitol DC
Is this a stable build? On my rpi3 B it relaunches several times before the first screen comes up? Then it is very sluggish, even then it crashes while setting it up. I am yet to be able to set it up fully. Used Etcher to burn the image. Suggestions please.

KonstaT

Jan 20, 2016
KonstaKANG.com
Is this a stable build? On my rpi3 B it relaunches several times before the first screen comes up? Then it is very sluggish, even then it crashes while setting it up. I am yet to be able to set it up fully. Used Etcher to burn the image. Suggestions please.

This build is discontinued and seriously outdated. Please update to using the latest LineageOS 16.0 build instead (https://forum.xda-developers.com/ra...v-lineageos-16-0-android-9-raspberry-t3943678).

Nothing should be crashing. Generally speaking you need to use proper sdcard (class 10) and power source (2.5A in case of Pi 3).

Reactions: polfrank

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Here’s my build of LineageOS 15.1 for Raspberry Pi 3 Model B and Model B+ (bluetooth does not currently work on the new plus model). It is unofficial and unsupported by the LineageOS team. It’s for advanced users only. This build currently uses Google’s SwiftShader software renderer so display performance is probably not what you’d expect. This build is not meant as a daily driver and it’s certainly not suitable for media device use.

Screenshot_Settings_20180630-144620.png

https://konstakang.com/devices/rpi3/LineageOS15.1/

lineage-15.1-20180706-UNOFFICIAL-KonstaKANG-rpi3.zip
    https://www.androidfilehost.com/?fid=5862345805528041370
    md5:257ade2f567223cf792023e2d75e5b75

Sources:

• Google for Android Things platform
    • peyo-hd and everyone who’s contributed to android-rpi
    • LineageOS team & everyone who’s been working on LineageOS 15.1
    How to install:
    1. Follow the official Raspberry Pi instructions for writing the image to the SD card (Linux, Mac, Windows).

FAQ:

Q: I can’t find developer options, why?
    A: Settings -> About phone -> Click ‘Build number’ several times

Q: I have no root, why? What is that hashtag on my status bar?
    A: You need enable root access under Settings -> Developer options -> Root access. Root management is now integrated as part of LineageOS’ Privacy Guard and you can manage per app permissions under Settings -> Developer options -> Manage root access. You’ll have a persistent notification in the status bar when you’re running an app that uses root permissions.

Q: Settings -> Storage shows xx GB used by system. There’s unallocated space on my sdcard. What should I do?
    A: This is a 4 GB image, remaining space on your sdcard will remain unallocated. Settings app shows unallocated space as used by system which in reality it is not. You can use e.g. GParted and extend /data partition (/dev/block/mmcblk0p4) to cover the unallocated space. Resizing the partition manually will break support for encrypting /data. Format /data in TWRP recovery (Wipe->Format data) after resizing to leave required space for crypto footer.

Q: Raspberry Pi doesn’t have power button, how do I power off/reboot my device?
    A: Following keyboard keys work as Android buttons: F1 = Home, F2 = Back, F3 = Multi-tasking, F4 = Menu, F5 = Power, F11 = Volume down, and F12 = Volume up. You can also use one of many third party reboot applications.

Q: How to boot to TWRP recovery?
    A: There’s currently no proper way to boot between Android and TWRP, but this can achieved by renaming the ramdisk you want to boot. Execute following commands in ‘adb shell’/serial console/terminal (you can enable built-in terminal app from Settings -> Developer options -> Local terminal) and reboot your device:
    Code:
    su
    rpi3-recovery.sh
    If mouse cursor doesn’t appear, try replugging your mouse.

Q: How to boot out of TWRP recovery?
    A: You can execute the same script in TWRP terminal (Advanced->Terminal) if you have system partition mounted (Mount->System):
    Code:
    rpi3-recovery.sh boot
    Or you can flash my recovery2boot zip in TWRP.

Q: How to install Google apps?
    1. Download MindTheGapps-8.1.0-arm-XXXXXXXX_XXXXXX.zip and save it to your device’s internal storage or use an external USB drive
    2. Boot to TWRP recovery (see FAQ)
    3. Install MindTheGapps-8.1.0-arm-XXXXXXXX_XXXXXX.zip from your selected storage
    4. Wipe->Factory reset!
    5. Boot out of recovery (see FAQ)
    Merged commits not mentioned in the changelog.

6.7. changelog:
    • update to Linux 4.14.53 kernel
    • add initial support for Pi 3 Model B+ (bluetooth does not currently work)
    • include TWRP 3.2.2-0 custom recovery (see FAQ how to boot)
    • build SwiftShader from source and update to master branch (improves graphics performance)
    • add support for encrypting the device

13.6. changelog:
    • update display drivers from Android Things 1.0
    • add support for USB webcams (UVC) with third party USB webcam apps
    • default to noop I/O scheduler
    • update to Linux 4.4.136 kernel and patch known vulnerabilities (CVE-xxxx-xxxx, and more)
    • Android security patch level: 5 June 2018 (merged)

7.3. changelog:
    • update display drivers from Android Things DP 7
    • update wifi firmware
    • update to Linux 4.4.120 kernel and patch known vulnerabilities (CVE-xxxx-xxxx, and more)
    • Android security patch level: 5 March 2018 (merged)

3.3. changelog:
    • initial release

Previous builds:
    Does this build support RCA video out. ?

Not sure, haven't tried and I don't even have a display with composite video in to test with. I'd say with LineageOS 14.1 and Linux 4.4 it's not supported (https://github.com/anholt/linux/issues/14). LineageOS 15.1 has a much newer kernel (4.14) but it doesn't even use the VC4 driver (Google's SwiftShader software renderer is used instead) so IDK.

You'd likely need to modify config.txt at least if you want to test this. https://www.raspberrypi.org/documentation/configuration/config-txt/video.md
    On my 3B I'm not getting any HDMI video output. It just shows a black screen.

Some displays might require modifying config.txt. https://www.raspberrypi.org/documentation/configuration/config-txt/video.md

720p is the max resolution this build currently supports.