[DEV][ROM][UNOFFICIAL] LineageOS 17.1 (Android 10) for Raspberry Pi 3 B and B+

Search This thread

KonstaT

Jan 20, 2016
KonstaKANG.com
Here’s my build of LineageOS 17.1 for Raspberry Pi 3 Model B and Model B+. It is unofficial and unsupported by the LineageOS team. It’s for advanced users only.

Important! This image includes parts that are licensed under non-commercial license (Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-ShareAlike 4.0 International). You may use this build freely in personal/educational/etc use. Commercial use is not allowed with this build!

Screenshot_20200727-112252_Settings.png

https://konstakang.com/devices/rpi3/LineageOS17.1/

lineage-17.1-20201108-UNOFFICIAL-KonstaKANG-rpi3.zip
https://www.androidfilehost.com/?fid=10763459528675579938
md5:2f0d503a5bbea5a4e15fbec22d767aff

Working:
  • Audio (HDMI, 3.5mm jack, USB microphones, bluetooth speakers/headsets, etc)
  • Audio DAC (using PCM512x DACs e.g. Hifiberry DAC+)
  • Bluetooth
  • Camera (using official Pi camera modules & UVC USB webcams)
  • GPIO
  • GPS (using external USB modules e.g. U-Blox 7)
  • Ethernet
  • Hardware accelerated graphics (VC4)
  • HDMI display
  • I2C
  • IR remotes (using external GPIO IR modules e.g. TSOP4838)
  • RTC (using external GPIO I2C modules e.g. DS3231)
  • Serial console (using external GPIO serial console adapters e.g. PL2303)
  • SPI
  • Touchscreen/multi-touch (USB touchscreens, Waveshare SPI touchscreens, official 7" touchscreen using SwiftShader software renderer)
  • USB (mouse, keyboard, storage, etc)
  • Wifi
  • Wifi tethering

Not working:
  • Hardware video decoding & encoding (software decoding & encoding works)

Issues:
  • SELinux is in permissive mode
  • and more…

Sources:

• Peter Yoon and everyone who has contributed to android-rpi
  • brobwind for graphics and bluetooth fixes
  • Eric Anholt for VC4 graphics driver
  • Google for Android Things platform
  • Android-x86 project
  • LineageOS team & everyone who has contributed to LineageOS 17.1

Last edited:

KonstaT

Jan 20, 2016
KonstaKANG.com
Merged commits not mentioned in the changelog.

8.11. changelog:
  • initial device settings for various Raspberry Pi specific options (Settings -> System -> Advanced settings)
    • audio device option (HDMI/3.5mm jack/audio DAC)
    • display options (graphics drivers, display resolution, display rotation)
    • options for IR remote, hardware keys, and RTC
  • simplify booting to/out of TWRP recovery (see FAQ)
  • improve support for booting from USB devices (see FAQ, thanks to maxwen)
  • improve support for RTC & IR remotes (see FAQ)
  • add more options for rotating touch input on Waveshare SPI (ADS7846) touchscreens (thanks to mikenon)
  • allow switching display off with power button
  • map right mouse button to back key
  • update to TWRP 3.4.0-1
  • update to Mesa 20.2.2 and latest upstream version of drm_hwcomposer
  • update to Linux 4.19.155 kernel and patch known vulnerabilities (CVE-xxxx-xxxx, and more)
  • Android security patch level: 5 November 2020 (merged)

13.8. changelog:
  • bring back forced landscape orientation for portrait apps
  • bring back support for running scripts from /system/etc/init.d/
  • read resolution from /boot/resolution.txt
  • fix issue with drm video playback
  • initial support for SSH server
  • update Mesa to 20.1.5
  • update to Linux 4.19.139 kernel and patch known vulnerabilities (CVE-xxxx-xxxx, and more)
  • Android security patch level: 5 August 2020 (merged)

27.7. changelog:
  • initial LineageOS 17.1 build
  • hardware accelerated graphics
    • VC4 using Mesa 20.1.4 with drm_hwcomposer & minigbm gralloc
    • 1280x720 resolution
  • update TWRP to 3.4.0-0
  • update to Linux 4.19.134 kernel and patch known vulnerabilities (CVE-xxxx-xxxx, and more)
  • Android security patch level: 5 July 2020 (merged)

Previous builds:

Last edited:

TacoLoco

Nov 28, 2007
Am I right, that pi 3 only has HDMI 1.4 (1080P)? Will this ROM (or the one for pi 4) will get to a state where it can be used as a Android TV box without a hassle or has this project simply other goals in mind? I'm asking cause I think most TV boxes are not good and outdated and Shield TV is overpriced as there is no serious competition.. I'm also not very satisfied with my mi box s and would love to replace it with one of my pi's.. ;)

Reactions: Trubbs

ralphffm44

Jul 5, 2008
Amazon Prime Video and Netflix

Hi,

I tested this with Amazon Prime Video: It works but only online.
When you start offline a downloaded movie you will receive a "offline licence missing" error. A short moment beeing online can skip this for this prime session.

With netflix I get an hardware error, no idea whats wrong there.

Both installed from aptoide.

KonstaT

Jan 20, 2016
KonstaKANG.com
I have tried this build in my raspberry pi 3b+ and the audio is not working what am i doing wrong can anybody help me please.

HDMI audio is used by default. Your display needs to report it supports audio of course. Please read the FAQ if you want to use 3.5mm audio jack instead.

Am I right, that pi 3 only has HDMI 1.4 (1080P)? Will this ROM (or the one for pi 4) will get to a state where it can be used as a Android TV box without a hassle or has this project simply other goals in mind? I'm asking cause I think most TV boxes are not good and outdated and Shield TV is overpriced as there is no serious competition.. I'm also not very satisfied with my mi box s and would love to replace it with one of my pi's.. ;)

Pi 3 doesn't have enough memory to provide decent user experience with Android TV. There's an Android TV build available for the Pi 4.

Hi,

I tested this with Amazon Prime Video: It works but only online.
When you start offline a downloaded movie you will receive a "offline licence missing" error. A short moment beeing online can skip this for this prime session.

With netflix I get an hardware error, no idea whats wrong there.

Both installed from aptoide.

There's some drm video issues that should be fixed if/when there's another release. Netflix is reported working with LineageOS 16.0 so I'd expect it to work here eventually as well. It's been reported that there's some playback issues with Amazon Prime video.

Raspberry Pi is not an Android device to begin with so this build doesn't pass Google's SafetyNet because lack of certification. Many secure apps (banking, protected video content, etc) check the SafetyNet status.

Reactions: ralphffm44

KonstaT

Jan 20, 2016
KonstaKANG.com
New build.

-bring back forced landscape orientation for portrait apps
-bring back support for running scripts from /system/etc/init.d/
-read resolution from /boot/resolution.txt
-fix issue with drm video playback
-initial support for SSH server
-update Mesa to 20.1.5
-update to Linux 4.19.139 kernel and patch known vulnerabilities (CVE-xxxx-xxxx, and more)
-Android security patch level: 5 August 2020 (merged)

Reactions: Trubbs and Grobsen

havens1515

Apr 5, 2011
A: Warning, installing gapps slows things down especially on low-end devices with limited amount of RAM such as this one. I would strongly recommend against installing Google Apps on this device. Raspberry Pi 3 doesn't have enough memory to provide decent user experience with Google Apps.

You're definitely not kidding there! I installed the nano package before reading this warning and it slowed down to the point that it was unusable! I removed the SD card, started over, and installed the pico. It's still slower with the pico than with no gapps, but it's usable.

Thanks for your work on this! Now I just wish I had a pi 4 to run the Android TV version :(

KonstaT

Jan 20, 2016
KonstaKANG.com
Hi! Thanks for the great job here! I did notice however 2 issues:
- I couldn't access Developer options by multiple clicks on build id
- question: anyway to force 1080p resolution instead of 720p? It looks odd on my 40inch tv with this huge black frame around it

Please read the FAQ on how to enable developer options.

How to change resolution is also covered in the FAQ (edit /boot/resolution.txt). Pi 3 has a very limited amount of memory and increasing the resolution will also affect overall performance. You might even need to increase CMA allocation in /boot/cmdline.txt if you use a larger resolution. Something wrong with your TV's settings though if you see any frame around it with 720p.

Trubbs

Jul 25, 2014
Pi 3 doesn't have enough memory to provide decent user experience with Android TV. There's an Android TV build available for the Pi 4.

Hi sorry if off topic for this thread, I couldn't find a thread specific to Android TV. My question is which RAM variant of Pi 4 is recommended for your Android TV build?

Thanks

Last edited:

Neitroyint

Sep 19, 2020
OS slow

Hi! I'm using a Raspberry Pi 3 B+, installed the lastest 17.1 version, Gapps and the flashed rpi-resize as I'm using a 32 sd. But the apps are really slow, I cannot browse anything on Google because when I write the system freeze. Is there any way to fix this? Can this be dua a bad sd card?

KonstaT

Jan 20, 2016
KonstaKANG.com
Hi! I'm using a Raspberry Pi 3 B+, installed the lastest 17.1 version, Gapps and the flashed rpi-resize as I'm using a 32 sd. But the apps are really slow, I cannot browse anything on Google because when I write the system freeze. Is there any way to fix this? Can this be dua a bad sd card?
Storage speed certainly affects overall performance. At least class 10 sdcard is recommended with this build.

Pi 3 is extremely limited with the amount of RAM available. Like I've commented in the FAQ, I'd strongly recommend against installing gapps with this build.

Do I format the SD as NTFS or Fat32 beforehand?

It really doesn't matter what you have on the sdcard beforehand. Writing the OS image will overwrite your sdcard and create required partition structure that is needed to run Android.

Last edited:

KonstaT

Jan 20, 2016
KonstaKANG.com
New build. A lot of new stuff in this one! Could be the final Pi 3 build. I think it's time to retire this little thing.

• initial device settings for various Raspberry Pi specific options (Settings -> System -> Advanced settings)
  • add more options for rotating touch input on Waveshare SPI (ADS7846) touchscreens (thanks to mikenon)
  • update to TWRP 3.4.0-1
  • update to Linux 4.19.155 kernel and patch known vulnerabilities (CVE-xxxx-xxxx, and more)

Grizgeist

Nov 9, 2020
boot loop on pi 3b+ need help

Pi gets stuck in a boot loop(i get the lineage os logo and then it restarts) after flashing any of the lineage os roms. I haven't flash gapps yet as they need to be done after the initial OS setup. Tried different cables and power adapters to no effect. Tried booting Raspberry Pi OS and that works.

KonstaT

Jan 20, 2016
KonstaKANG.com
Pi gets stuck in a boot loop(i get the lineage os logo and then it restarts) after flashing any of the lineage os roms. I haven't flash gapps yet as they need to be done after the initial OS setup. Tried different cables and power adapters to no effect. Tried booting Raspberry Pi OS and that works.

Could be the same issue that's been previously discussed but can't say for sure without seeing logs.
https://github.com/lineage-rpi/android_kernel_brcm_rpi/issues/6

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Here’s my build of LineageOS 17.1 for Raspberry Pi 3 Model B and Model B+. It is unofficial and unsupported by the LineageOS team. It’s for advanced users only.

Important! This image includes parts that are licensed under non-commercial license (Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-ShareAlike 4.0 International). You may use this build freely in personal/educational/etc use. Commercial use is not allowed with this build!

Screenshot_20200727-112252_Settings.png

lineage-17.1-20201108-UNOFFICIAL-KonstaKANG-rpi3.zip
    https://www.androidfilehost.com/?fid=10763459528675579938
    md5:2f0d503a5bbea5a4e15fbec22d767aff

Working:
    • Audio (HDMI, 3.5mm jack, USB microphones, bluetooth speakers/headsets, etc)
    • Audio DAC (using PCM512x DACs e.g. Hifiberry DAC+)
    • Bluetooth
    • Camera (using official Pi camera modules & UVC USB webcams)
    • GPIO
    • GPS (using external USB modules e.g. U-Blox 7)
    • Ethernet
    • Hardware accelerated graphics (VC4)
    • HDMI display
    • I2C
    • IR remotes (using external GPIO IR modules e.g. TSOP4838)
    • RTC (using external GPIO I2C modules e.g. DS3231)
    • Serial console (using external GPIO serial console adapters e.g. PL2303)
    • SPI
    • Touchscreen/multi-touch (USB touchscreens, Waveshare SPI touchscreens, official 7" touchscreen using SwiftShader software renderer)
    • USB (mouse, keyboard, storage, etc)
    • Wifi
    • Wifi tethering

Not working:
    • Hardware video decoding & encoding (software decoding & encoding works)

Issues:
    • SELinux is in permissive mode
    • and more…

Sources:

• Peter Yoon and everyone who has contributed to android-rpi
    • brobwind for graphics and bluetooth fixes
    • Eric Anholt for VC4 graphics driver
    • Google for Android Things platform
    • Android-x86 project
    • LineageOS team & everyone who has contributed to LineageOS 17.1
    How to install:
    1. Follow the official Raspberry Pi instructions for writing the image to the SD card (Linux, Mac, Windows).

FAQ:

FAQ is getting quite long and difficult to maintain in several different places. You can find the always up-to-date FAQ here:
    Merged commits not mentioned in the changelog.

8.11. changelog:
    • update to TWRP 3.4.0-1

13.8. changelog:
    • bring back forced landscape orientation for portrait apps
    • bring back support for running scripts from /system/etc/init.d/
    • read resolution from /boot/resolution.txt
    • fix issue with drm video playback
    • initial support for SSH server
    • update Mesa to 20.1.5
    • update to Linux 4.19.139 kernel and patch known vulnerabilities (CVE-xxxx-xxxx, and more)
    • Android security patch level: 5 August 2020 (merged)

27.7. changelog:
    • initial LineageOS 17.1 build
    • hardware accelerated graphics
      • VC4 using Mesa 20.1.4 with drm_hwcomposer & minigbm gralloc
      • 1280x720 resolution
    • update TWRP to 3.4.0-0
    • update to Linux 4.19.134 kernel and patch known vulnerabilities (CVE-xxxx-xxxx, and more)
    • Android security patch level: 5 July 2020 (merged)

Previous builds:
    New build.

-bring back forced landscape orientation for portrait apps
    -bring back support for running scripts from /system/etc/init.d/
    -read resolution from /boot/resolution.txt
    -fix issue with drm video playback
    -initial support for SSH server
    -update Mesa to 20.1.5
    -update to Linux 4.19.139 kernel and patch known vulnerabilities (CVE-xxxx-xxxx, and more)
    -Android security patch level: 5 August 2020 (merged)
Our Apps
Get our official app!
The best way to access XDA on your phone
Nav Gestures
Add swipe gestures to any Android
One Handed Mode
Eases uses one hand with your phone