[DEV][ROM][UNOFFICIAL] LineageOS 17.1 (Android 10) for Raspberry Pi 4 B

KonstaT

Jan 20, 2016
KonstaKANG.com
I am thinking to buy a Raspberry Pi 4 and to try out "LineageOS 17.1 Android TV" or the Android build from this thread here.
Looking really good how far KonstaKANG got with this one on the Pi.
My only concern, as already mentioned in August by "pbanj": hardware decoding is needed for videos in x265 format(?)

Is this still the case or maybe in a newer build from november software decoding is strong enough to play x265 without stuttering?
Would someone be so kind to try this out in KODI with 1080p x265 mkv video files?
Android has a software decoder for H.265. Can't really comment on the performance with full HD videos because I'm not sure if I've even tested it. It would be nice to have some source for test clips that use different codecs that could be used for testing.

I'm honestly not sure if it's worth buying if media device usage is your only use case. There's also other more specialized operating systems for the Pi that might do that better. It's still nice to have Android as an option among various other things that are available for the Pi.

Ok, thanks for clarifying.
Sad to hear, because the box is not really a good media station if surround sound is not available. My hope was that something from libreelec could be transferred to your build.
Apart from this your solution is perfect to make an old TV smart.
Android and LibreELEC are two completely different operating systems that share nothing (well, both use Linux kernel underneath but even that is very different).

We've come pretty far if things like missing surround sound is currently the main concern. :)

My car setup almost done. I'm testing before install to car nowadays.

I need connect device with my phone in order to make phone call via bluetooth. Pairing is successful but can't connect them.
Is it a known problem? Or am i doing something wrong?

Edit: I have connected BT speaker without any problem. Is there any method about connect to Android phone for call?
Sorry, don't quite understand what you're asking here. Can you generally connect two Android devices (phones/tablets) to make calls from the other?

I can pair my phone and send files via bluetooth between them (well, I recently tested this on LineageOS 18, but did on LineageOS 17 at some point as well). That's usually one of things I test at some point in development. I think there's something like 'Phone calls' option for some paired devices in the bluetooth settings so maybe try enabling that.

KonstaT

Jan 20, 2016
KonstaKANG.com
Another maybe stupid question. Is there way to put RPi into sleep? Or make graceful shutdown?
Kernel on Raspberry Pi doesn't support suspend so it doesn't "sleep" like your regular Android device (it's also AC powered so it doesn't need to save power).

You can switch the display off/on by short pressing the power button. You can invoke the Android power menu to shutdown the device by long pressing the power button. Works exactly like on any Android device in general. FAQ has quite a lot of information related to this.

jaba_cz

Jan 2, 2008
Prague
You switch the display off/on by short pressing the power button. You can invoke the Android power menu to shutdown the device by long pressing the power button.
I know this. I have external circuit sending LOW to pin 21 a minute after turning off the ignition in the car.
I want graceful shutdown unattended. The power-off menu is not the solution.
Cutting the power directly sometimes makes data corrupt.

KonstaT

Jan 20, 2016
KonstaKANG.com
I know this. I have external circuit sending LOW to pin 21 a minute after turning off the ignition in the car.
I want graceful shutdown unattended. The power-off menu is not the solution.
Cutting the power directly sometimes makes data corrupt.
And I'm supposed to know you know?

That's a completely different scenario and already discussed in this topic.

Hi. First of all: Great ROM!
I am using it for my car computer project and it works great so far.

Since I am fairly new to coding, maybe someone can point me in the right direction.
I am trying to write a script that monitors a switch using GPIO.
However, I can not find the path to the GPIO "values".
The goal is that the monitored switch is wired to the car ignition.
Once the ignition is turned off the Pi should shut down after a few seconds.

Thanks.
Here's a link to a TWRP flashable zip so you don't have to worry about permission or where to copy it.
https://www.androidfilehost.com/?fid=10763459528675574623

It should be easy enough to edit if you want to change which GPIO pin you want to use or the delays.

cremers100

Jan 10, 2021
I've tried to install this today and I was really looking forward using this. But unfortunately I can't get passed the wifi screen when running the setup. Even with ethernet connected it asks me to set-up wifi. I tried disabling wifi in the boot.txt but no look either. I've searched this whole thread for answers already and even tried google. No luck.

Anyone that could help me out here?

Mar 20, 2013
Hi there- I'm new to this device but so far things are off to a great start. I have Pinn OS running this and a few distros off of an ssd and I am just amazed at how well everything works. I happened to have bought a 15" USB touchscreen recently. I can't believe it works perfectly right on the first boot! This is the best tablet experience I have ever had! But to get to the point, I have a couple of quick questions:

1 Bluetooth seems to be working but I can't get a microphone to pick up. I have root, I've set permissions with the relevant apps, but so far nothing. Any suggestions? I've tried two different BT speaker/mics and behavior is the same.

2 I am planning to set up a USB GPS antenna in my car. Do I also need the rtc?

3 You probably get this question a lot, but I didn't see a clear answer- will hardware rendering come for this project? Is it just a matter of needing time to develop?

Thanks for this great OS. I will definitely be sending you a donation!

KonstaT

Jan 20, 2016
KonstaKANG.com
I've tried to install this today and I was really looking forward using this. But unfortunately I can't get passed the wifi screen when running the setup. Even with ethernet connected it asks me to set-up wifi. I tried disabling wifi in the boot.txt but no look either. I've searched this whole thread for answers already and even tried google. No luck.

Anyone that could help me out here?
Might be worth pointing out that you're probably talking about the Android TV build. Yes, it requires wifi during setup. I don't remember what's the setup like with gapps (e.g. if you boot directly to TWRP using DIY power button and install gapps before the first boot to Android). If https://github.com/lineage-rpi/android_kernel_brcm_rpi/issues/6 is the reason for not using wifi, I unfortunately don't have any solution for you with Android TV.

You can use the regular the LineageOS 17 build and set it up using ethernet. Or use the latest LineageOS 18 build which should no longer have https://github.com/lineage-rpi/android_kernel_brcm_rpi/issues/6.

Hi there- I'm new to this device but so far things are off to a great start. I have Pinn OS running this and a few distros off of an ssd and I am just amazed at how well everything works. I happened to have bought a 15" USB touchscreen recently. I can't believe it works perfectly right on the first boot! This is the best tablet experience I have ever had! But to get to the point, I have a couple of quick questions:

1 Bluetooth seems to be working but I can't get a microphone to pick up. I have root, I've set permissions with the relevant apps, but so far nothing. Any suggestions? I've tried two different BT speaker/mics and behavior is the same.

2 I am planning to set up a USB GPS antenna in my car. Do I also need the rtc?

3 You probably get this question a lot, but I didn't see a clear answer- will hardware rendering come for this project? Is it just a matter of needing time to develop?

Thanks for this great OS. I will definitely be sending you a donation!
1. Yep, bluetooth microphone is not working currently. It's on my list of things to look into with few other bluetooth related issues that have been reported.

2. Do you? If you plan to connect the Pi to network somehow it picks up the right time from time server. Actually I'm not sure what happens with calculating GPS position if your system time is not correct.

3. This build already has "hardware rendering" working i.e. hardware accelerated graphics. What is missing is hardware video decoding/encoding i.e. offloading dec/enc of e.g. h.264 video streams to the hardware.

Reactions: sevenoverthree

cem_ari

Jul 7, 2008
Sorry, don't quite understand what you're asking here. Can you generally connect two Android devices (phones/tablets) to make calls from the other?

I can pair my phone and send files via bluetooth between them (well, I recently tested this on LineageOS 18, but did on LineageOS 17 at some point as well). That's usually one of things I test at some point in development. I think there's something like 'Phone calls' option for some paired devices in the bluetooth settings so maybe try enabling that.
Hi.
I just want to connect RPI that working your ROM to my Android phone to make/get calls. Pairing process is OK but when i click connect looks connected for a few seconds then disconnects. I tried with two different Andorid phone.
Also there is only internet access and contact sharing options in RPI and phone both.

KonstaT

Jan 20, 2016
KonstaKANG.com
Hi.
I just want to connect RPI that working your ROM to my Android phone to make/get calls. Pairing process is OK but when i click connect looks connected for a few seconds then disconnects. I tried with two different Andorid phone.
Also there is only internet access and contact sharing options in RPI and phone both.
Again impossible to say what could be the problem without seeing any logs. My phone stays paired just fine last time I tested.

I've never tried anything like this. Can you do this between those two other phones?

cem_ari

Jul 7, 2008
I've never tried anything like this. Can you do this between those two other phones?
Actually i started doubt it's possibility:unsure: Because two devices are same type. It's working with Windows pc and Android phone.

I know that some members are using your ROM in their car just like me. Can they share their experience about make/get phone call please? How can we get it work?
Edit: May be some third party app?
Edit2: RPI must has Bluetooth A2DP and headset service. I googled it and many people needs it. But no way.

I have an idea. Using a USB bluetooth dongle that has A2DP and headset service would fix the problem?

Last edited:
Reactions: laurentfr30190

foobar2605

Aug 1, 2010
blog.invalidobject.com
Just another question for clarification:
Currently audio is only working if I connect the HDMI cable to the second port (not the one close to the power port).
Can this be changed by some config.txt modification so that audio is on first HDMI port?

Thanks in advance for your reply!

KonstaT

Jan 20, 2016
KonstaKANG.com
Just another question for clarification:
Currently audio is only working if I connect the HDMI cable to the second port (not the one close to the power port).
Can this be changed by some config.txt modification so that audio is on first HDMI port?

Thanks in advance for your reply!
That shouldn't be the case of course so something strange at your end. Make sure you're using the latest image. Also make sure you haven't made any modifications to /boot/config.txt that might affect this.

HDMI audio should work using both HDMI ports (HDMI:0 is the primary so I'd still recommend using it). I just fixed this a while back as it was previously only working with the primary port. All audio/video options are currently applied to both ports the same way. You can dig through the documentation (https://www.raspberrypi.org/documentation/configuration/config-txt/) if you find something but I'm not aware of any reason for this.

foobar2605

Aug 1, 2010
blog.invalidobject.com
That shouldn't be the case of course so something strange at your end. Make sure you're using the latest image. Also make sure you haven't made any modifications to /boot/config.txt that might affect this.

HDMI audio should work using both HDMI ports (HDMI:0 is the primary so I'd still recommend using it). I just fixed this a while back as it was previously only working with the primary port. All audio/video options are currently applied to both ports the same way. You can dig through the documentation (https://www.raspberrypi.org/documentation/configuration/config-txt/) if you find something but I'm not aware of any reason for this.
You are right, just tested it once again and it works! Sorry for bothering you about this.

Bea de Val

Feb 23, 2020
Rottenburg
Question 1: Android TV 17.1 - HDMI Audio - Multichannel Support implemented ?

i've tried to use the Passtrough options to have 5.1 DTS / Dolby Digital Audio to my AV Receiver.

I have anytime only 2 channel Stereo Sound.
Is there an additional implementation in LineageOS needed ?. no changes to the config.txt
at this point.

Question 2: Amazon Prime Video didn't work.. Anytime... "Something went wrong" while trying to start streaming. It works fine with my other devices (Smartphones) with LineageOS 17.1

Question 3: Joyn APP shows only 2/3 page.. the rest is greyed in the bottom..

used build = lineage-17.1-20201121-UNOFFICIAL-KonstaKANG-rpi4-atv.zip

KonstaT

Jan 20, 2016
KonstaKANG.com
Question 1: Android TV 17.1 - HDMI Audio - Multichannel Support implemented ?

i've tried to use the Passtrough options to have 5.1 DTS / Dolby Digital Audio to my AV Receiver.

I have anytime only 2 channel Stereo Sound.
Is there an additional implementation in LineageOS needed ?. no changes to the config.txt
at this point.

Question 2: Amazon Prime Video didn't work.. Anytime... "Something went wrong" while trying to start streaming. It works fine with my other devices (Smartphones) with LineageOS 17.1

Question 3: Joyn APP shows only 2/3 page.. the rest is greyed in the bottom..

used build = lineage-17.1-20201121-UNOFFICIAL-KonstaKANG-rpi4-atv.zip
If you read through the last couple of pages you'll find your questions 1 & 2 already answered.

As for question 3, sorry, never even heard of Joyn APP before. You would also need to be a lot specific in describing the issue.

Our Apps
Get our official app!
The best way to access XDA on your phone
Nav Gestures
Add swipe gestures to any Android
One Handed Mode
Eases uses one hand with your phone