• Introducing XDA Computing: Discussion zones for Hardware, Software, and more!    Check it out!

[DEV][ROM][UNOFFICIAL] LineageOS 18.1 (Android 11) for Raspberry Pi 4 B

Search This thread

AtikAttar1104

Sep 26, 2021
Hi There,
I Have A Lot Of Questions About Lineage OS 18.1.
And Due To Some Financial Problems, I Am Unable To Get Myself A Pi4. So I Need Some Info Before I Use It. Pls Help Me In It.

1. I've Read This In A Forum (Sorry I Don't Know Which One) That This Is Not A 64-bit Edition. What If I Have To Download An App From Site Like APKMirror, And I Have To Choose APK Based On Device Architecture (E.G. - APK For Armeabi-v7a, APK For Arm64 Or Aarch64, APK For x86, APK For x86_64)
Which APK Will Work In Pi4 With Lineage OS 18.1?

2. Is Root Access Really Required To Run Normally (Like Doing Basic Stuff, etc.) Or It Will Work Without Root Access?

3. How Is The Gaming Performance In It (Like FPS, Response While Playing)? Since I SHUFFLED THE WHOLE INTERNET FOR THIS But Didn't Got Anything LOL 😂😂😂, That's Why, This Question!😂

4. And Finally, Will USB WebCam Work In Pi4 With Lineage OS 18.1 Or USB UVC Camera Only Works?
And Which GCam Port Works In It?

I Still Have A Lot Of Questions But, Currently I Only Remember These.

Thanks N Sorry For My Bad English. I Am Not Good At It

KonstaT

Jan 20, 2016
KonstaKANG.com
Hi There,
I Have A Lot Of Questions About Lineage OS 18.1.
And Due To Some Financial Problems, I Am Unable To Get Myself A Pi4. So I Need Some Info Before I Use It. Pls Help Me In It.

1. I've Read This In A Forum (Sorry I Don't Know Which One) That This Is Not A 64-bit Edition. What If I Have To Download An App From Site Like APKMirror, And I Have To Choose APK Based On Device Architecture (E.G. - APK For Armeabi-v7a, APK For Arm64 Or Aarch64, APK For x86, APK For x86_64)
Which APK Will Work In Pi4 With Lineage OS 18.1?

2. Is Root Access Really Required To Run Normally (Like Doing Basic Stuff, etc.) Or It Will Work Without Root Access?

3. How Is The Gaming Performance In It (Like FPS, Response While Playing)? Since I SHUFFLED THE WHOLE INTERNET FOR THIS But Didn't Got Anything LOL 😂😂😂, That's Why, This Question!😂

4. And Finally, Will USB WebCam Work In Pi4 With Lineage OS 18.1 Or USB UVC Camera Only Works?
And Which GCam Port Works In It?

I Still Have A Lot Of Questions But, Currently I Only Remember These.

Thanks N Sorry For My Bad English. I Am Not Good At It
1. Android apps work universally unless the app has native libs that depend on the architecture (app can also include the libs for all architectures). ARM 32-bit = armeabi-v7a, ARM 64-bit = arm64-v8a, X86 32-bit = x86, X86 64-bit = x86_64. This is ARM 32-bit build.

2. No, you don't need root access for any normal use.

3. It's a $35 device with the specs to match the price. There's at least couple of YouTube channels that are nothing but gameplay on Raspberry Pi using Android.

4. Official Pi camera modules and UVC webcams are supported. Camera performance also depends on the app you use. If a camera advertises Linux support it most likely uses UVC.

mynameisnafe

Apr 6, 2012
Hi again,

I'm also looking at this for a car.. will LineageOS work with a GPS/GNSS GPIO Hat, or only the ublox?

Also, are there any plans to support something like the waveshare LTE modem or a USB LTE modem?

KonstaT

Jan 20, 2016
KonstaKANG.com
Hi again,

I'm also looking at this for a car.. will LineageOS work with a GPS/GNSS GPIO Hat, or only the ublox?

Also, are there any plans to support something like the waveshare LTE modem or a USB LTE modem?
No, many different serial GPS devices (both USB and GPIO) have been reported working. Using GPIO GPS hardware has been discussed on this topic previously (https://forum.xda-developers.com/t/...raspberry-pi-4-b.4212945/page-7#post-85192865 to https://forum.xda-developers.com/t/...raspberry-pi-4-b.4212945/page-8#post-85321133).

Some 3G/4G USB dongles have been reported working with third party apps like PPP Widget 3 (https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=de.draisberghof.pppwidget3). This build doesn't have Android telephony framework or include drivers to support any modems. I have builds that have support Sixfab modem HAT and Quectel EC25. LTE data and SMS works fine. It's also possible to make/receive calls but in-call audio is not working.

Reactions: mynameisnafe

oguzkarayemis

Oct 5, 2021
Hello everyone,
First of all, thank you KonstaT for your fascinating work! My question is that: I want to use Magisk for bypassing Google Play SafetyNet on Raspberry Pi 400 Lineage OS ATV installation. But I cannot get "boot.img" for patching through any "how to" instruction (for example, TWRP boot backup or OS image). Does anybody know a working way for this, or could anybody get "boot.img"? Or maybe any other way for bypassing SafetyNet?
Thank you.

KonstaT

Jan 20, 2016
KonstaKANG.com
Hello everyone,
First of all, thank you KonstaT for your fascinating work! My question is that: I want to use Magisk for bypassing Google Play SafetyNet on Raspberry Pi 400 Lineage OS ATV installation. But I cannot get "boot.img" for patching through any "how to" instruction (for example, TWRP boot backup or OS image). Does anybody know a working way for this, or could anybody get "boot.img"? Or maybe any other way for bypassing SafetyNet?
Thank you.
Raspberry Pi is not an Android device to begin with so it doesn't have boot/recovery images. You can create boot.img/recovery.img from the ramdisk.img/ramdisk-recovery.img and kernel zImage (both found in the boot partition) with 'mkbootimg' tool. Split it up again after patching with 'unpackbootimg'.

As Raspberry Pi is not an Android device to begin with it has never passed Google Play certification (pass CDD & CTS). Last I tested SafetyNet tests fail on the CTS profile match. You would likely need to spoof this to be some entirely different device.

oguzkarayemis

Oct 5, 2021
Raspberry Pi is not an Android device to begin with so it doesn't have boot/recovery images. You can create boot.img/recovery.img from the ramdisk.img/ramdisk-recovery.img and kernel zImage (both found in the boot partition) with 'mkbootimg' tool. Split it up again after patching with 'unpackbootimg'.

As Raspberry Pi is not an Android device to begin with it has never passed Google Play certification (pass CDD & CTS). Last I tested SafetyNet tests fail on the CTS profile match. You would likely need to spoof this to be some entirely different device.
Thanks for your answer, I'll try this.

oguzkarayemis

Oct 5, 2021
Ok. I've totally different question today. I've installed ATV version on my RPI 400. Most things work just fine. Buy I've audio issues from time to time. Problem is that: While playing video (Netflix and Stremio installed from .apk), or music (Spotify installed from Google Play), usually (but not always) after pause and then play, there is no audio (but playback -and video- goes on). Is there anybody encountered this kind of problem?
Thank you.
Edit: Sorry I forgot, I get audio through HDMI.

Last edited:

KonstaT

Jan 20, 2016
KonstaKANG.com
Ok. I've totally different question today. I've installed ATV version on my RPI 400. Most things work just fine. Buy I've audio issues from time to time. Problem is that: While playing video (Netflix and Stremio installed from .apk), or music (Spotify installed from Google Play), usually (but not always) after pause and then play, there is no audio (but playback -and video- goes on). Is there anybody encountered this kind of problem?
Thank you.
Edit: Sorry I forgot, I get audio through HDMI.
I don't think I've received other reports with similar issues. Logcat?

KonstaT

Jan 20, 2016
KonstaKANG.com
New builds.

-add support for Vulkan
-rework bluetooth (thanks to android-rpi)
-update to Mesa 21.1.8
-update to Linux 5.4.152 kernel and patch known vulnerabilities (CVE-xxxx-xxxx, and more)
-Android security patch level: 1 October 2021 (merged)

---

-add support for Vulkan
-switch to new two-panel settings UI (merged)
-update to Mesa 21.1.8
-update to Linux 5.4.152 kernel and patch known vulnerabilities (CVE-xxxx-xxxx, and more)

mynameisnafe

Apr 6, 2012
No, many different serial GPS devices (both USB and GPIO) have been reported working. Using GPIO GPS hardware has been discussed on this topic previously (https://forum.xda-developers.com/t/...raspberry-pi-4-b.4212945/page-7#post-85192865 to https://forum.xda-developers.com/t/...raspberry-pi-4-b.4212945/page-8#post-85321133).

Some 3G/4G USB dongles have been reported working with third party apps like PPP Widget 3 (https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=de.draisberghof.pppwidget3). This build doesn't have Android telephony framework or include drivers to support any modems. I have builds that have support Sixfab modem HAT and Quectel EC25. LTE data and SMS works fine. It's also possible to make/receive calls but in-call audio is not working.

Is in-call audio something that is likely to get fixed? I guess a related question is do microphones work, via usb sound card, DAC, aux or otherwise?

That's PPP Widget 3 app looks very interesting, I seem to remember this from somewhere.. feels like deja vu.

I think I will probably order new GPS dongle, the one I have never seems to pick up a satellite and it's quite old :D

KonstaT

Jan 20, 2016
KonstaKANG.com
I believe this is relevant part that today I got from logcat when spotify audio was down:
Seems that it has something to do with Chromium WebView. Have you tried the latest build from yesterday (or did this happen with previous builds)? Android system WebView is usually also updated with every build.
Is in-call audio something that is likely to get fixed? I guess a related question is do microphones work, via usb sound card, DAC, aux or otherwise?
It's not something that is actively worked on. Building a DIY Android phone out of Raspberry Pi has been bit of an eternity project. I think the problem is more than just audio routing issue.

Generally speaking USB microphones/sound cards with mic work. Bluetooth mic (SCO profile) is not working. I don't have any DACs with audio input to test with. Audio HAL can currently only open one ALSA device at a time. So, also using some I2S mic would require work on the audio HAL.

Reactions: mynameisnafe

KonstaT

Jan 20, 2016
KonstaKANG.com
Hello! Can you please tell, what do you mean by rework? The issue with streaming music using bluetooth and geolocation enabled is fixed?
It means that I switched to different bluetooth implementation entirely. I've never managed to reproduce the bluetooth audio stuttering related to Google location services because I rarely get around setting up my device with gapps. So definite maybe until it's been reported either way. Please test and report back.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    New builds.

-add support for Vulkan
    -update to Mesa 21.1.8

---

-add support for Vulkan
    -update to Mesa 21.1.8
    Err, what happened to 'Root Access' setting?
    All I have is 'Enable Android debugging as root' which is not the same thing. I can't be superuser.

I'm running lineage-18.1-20210411-UNOFFICIAL-KonstaKANG-rpi4.img on a rpi4 with 4GB RAM

the option ain't there
    Please read the FAQ. You need to install a separate su add-on.
    Hi again,

Here’s my build of LineageOS 18.1 for Raspberry Pi 4 Model B, Pi 400, and Compute Module 4. It is unofficial and unsupported by the LineageOS team. It’s for advanced users only. Pi 4 model with at least 2GB of RAM is required to run this build.

Important! This image includes parts that are licensed under non-commercial license (Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-ShareAlike 4.0 International). You may use this build freely in personal/educational/etc use. Commercial use is not allowed with this build!

Screenshot_20210104-104810_Settings.png

https://konstakang.com/devices/rpi4/LineageOS18/

There is also Android TV version available.
    Screenshot_20210306-163341_Settings.png

https://konstakang.com/devices/rpi4/LineageOS18-ATV/

Working:
    • Audio (HDMI, 3.5mm jack, USB microphones, bluetooth speakers/headsets, etc)
    • Audio DAC (using GPIO DACs e.g. Hifiberry DAC+)
    • Bluetooth
    • Camera (using official Pi camera modules & UVC USB webcams)
    • GPIO
    • GPS (using external USB modules e.g. U-Blox 7)
    • Ethernet
    • Hardware accelerated graphics (V3D, OpenGL & Vulkan)
    • HDMI display
    • I2C
    • IR remotes (using external GPIO IR modules e.g. TSOP4838)
    • RTC (using external GPIO I2C modules e.g. DS3231)
    • Sensors (using external GPIO I2C modules e.g. MPU6050, LSM6DS3 & LSM303DLHC accelerometer/gyroscope/magnetometer)
    • Serial console (using external GPIO serial console adapters e.g. PL2303)
    • SPI
    • Touchscreen/multi-touch (USB touchscreens, Waveshare SPI touchscreens)
    • USB (mouse, keyboard, storage, etc)
    • USB-C (ADB, MTP, PTP, USB-tethering)
    • Wifi
    • Wifi tethering

Not working:
    • Hardware video decoding & encoding (software decoding & encoding works)

Issues:
    • Stock camera app is not working - many third party camera apps seem to work
    • SELinux is in permissive mode
    • and more…

Sources:

• Peter Yoon and everyone who has contributed to android-rpi
    • Roman Stratiienko and GloDroid project for graphics fixes
    • brobwind for bluetooth fixes
    • Eric Anholt for V3D graphics driver
    • Maxime Ripard for Pi 4 KMS driver
    • Android-x86 project
    • LineageOS team & everyone who has contributed to LineageOS 18.1
    New build.

-add support for LSM303DLHC accelerometer & magnetometer sensor
    -add separate TWRP flashable su add-on (see FAQ)
    -allow switching display off with power button
    -add support for USB-C (ADB, MTP, PTP, USB-tethering)
    -enable bluetooth tethering
    -add settings option for mouse back button feature
    -update to TWRP 3.5.0_9-0-KonstaKANG
    -update to Mesa 20.3.4
    -update to Linux 5.4.98 kernel and patch known vulnerabilities (CVE-xxxx-xxxx, and more)
    -Android security patch level: 5 February 2021 (merged)
    How to install:
    1. Follow the official Raspberry Pi instructions for writing the image to the SD card (Linux, Mac, Windows).

FAQ:

FAQ is getting quite long and difficult to maintain in several different places. You can find the always up-to-date FAQs here:
    https://konstakang.com/devices/rpi4/LineageOS18/
    https://konstakang.com/devices/rpi4/LineageOS18-ATV/
    New builds.

-add support for Vulkan
    -update to Mesa 21.1.8

---

-add support for Vulkan
    -update to Mesa 21.1.8
    New build.

-add initial support for HDMI-CEC
    -add built-in VNC server
    -update to Mesa 21.0.2
    -update to Linux 5.4.111 kernel and patch known vulnerabilities (CVE-xxxx-xxxx, and more)
    -Android security patch level: 5 April 2021 (merged)