• Introducing XDA Computing: Discussion zones for Hardware, Software, and more!    Check it out!

[DEV][ROM][UNOFFICIAL] LineageOS 18.1 (Android 11) for Raspberry Pi 4 B

Search This thread

KonstaT

Jan 20, 2016
KonstaKANG.com
Hi !
I've came across very annoying 'bugs'
- 1st accurses in some applications that are using 'fullscreen' feature I believe. While starting for example gmaps screen turns black for ~1s, same thing is happening while going back to main screen. It happens every time while using yt,gmap. Please see videos in attachents to better understand this problem.
- 2nd playing music via bluetooth is not working very good, there are many stutters, everything works fine with 3.5jack playback.

Besides of that everything is working flawlessly.
-Recent Android versions can request to use different display refresh rate so this depends on your display. You can force a refresh rate from Settings -> System -> Raspberry Pi settings -> Display resolution (set e.g. [email protected]).

-Already discussed even on this topic many times. Only happens with gapps installed and if you've enabled location access during the gapps setup. Google location services scan nearby bluetooth devices to determine the device location which doesn't work great when your using bluetooth audio at the same time. There's also https://forum.xda-developers.com/t/...aspberry-pi-4-b.4212945/page-14#post-85769441

kaveras

Dec 1, 2021
One more annoying thing that I discovered today is that SOMETIMES touchscreen bugs and reads that I keep touching it, which results strange behaviours, after disconnecting and connecting touchscreen (usb) it works fine. See attachments for video.

Attachments

• IMG_9342.rar
    11.8 MB · Views: 3

KonstaT

Jan 20, 2016
KonstaKANG.com
One more annoying thing that I discovered today is that SOMETIMES touchscreen bugs and reads that I keep touching it, which results strange behaviours, after disconnecting and connecting touchscreen (usb) it works fine. See attachments for video.
Logs please as videos or screenshots don't provide anything useful unless we're talking about some visual object.

Also many other things can affect like are you using USB 2.0 or 3.0 port? Are you booting from an USB device and so on?

Azumimuo

Aug 8, 2012
Kuala Lumpur
It needs a separate build entirely. Android TV is meant for TVs obviously so I don't think you can get the telephony working on it anyway.

KonstaT,

I'm already switch to LineageOS 18.1 from LineageOS 18.1 ATV. Then, by following guide from sixfab website to try to setup my "Sixfab 4G/LTE Base Hat" with "Quectel EC25-E LTE Module" which recently bought separately.

Are there any step or step for me to follow?

my setup consist of Raspberry Pi 4B, Allo Boss DAC Hat, Geekworm x728 UPS Hat and Sixfab 4G/LTE Base Hat.

Thank you in advance

KonstaT

Jan 20, 2016
KonstaKANG.com
KonstaT,

I'm already switch to LineageOS 18.1 from LineageOS 18.1 ATV. Then, by following guide from sixfab website to try to setup my "Sixfab 4G/LTE Base Hat" with "Quectel EC25-E LTE Module" which recently bought separately.

Are there any step or step for me to follow?

my setup consist of Raspberry Pi 4B, Allo Boss DAC Hat, Geekworm x728 UPS Hat and Sixfab 4G/LTE Base Hat.

Thank you in advance
No, adding support for a specific modem requires building the whole Android from source. Quectel has the drivers and documentation available for their hardware on their website.

Reactions: Azumimuo

tholau

Nov 6, 2009
Hi, I'm thinking about buying the DeskPi Pro v2 as it comes with SSD support, IR support, and a power button.
But these features can only be gained by using DeskPi's drivers (https://github.com/DeskPi-Team/deskpi).
Do you think it might be possible to transfer/adopt the divers also to be used with your Android TV for PBPi 4?

KonstaT

Jan 20, 2016
KonstaKANG.com
Hi, I'm thinking about buying the DeskPi Pro v2 as it comes with SSD support, IR support, and a power button.
But these features can only be gained by using DeskPi's drivers (https://github.com/DeskPi-Team/deskpi).
Do you think it might be possible to transfer/adopt the divers also to be used with your Android TV for PBPi 4?
SSD and IR receiver should work pretty much as is. Fan and power button would need some work to get them working.

You can't use the drivers they've made available for regular Linux distros with Android so you'd need to create your own implementation.

ndkone

Dec 21, 2012
I had just tried this build, 18.1 on my pi 4 with Gapp for the TV setup. All worked but the F1-3, 11-12 key does not work. I am using a wireless Microsoft keyboard : Microsoft Wireless All-In-One Media Keyboard.

Anyone have this issue?

KonstaT

Jan 20, 2016
KonstaKANG.com
I had just tried this build, 18.1 on my pi 4 with Gapp for the TV setup. All worked but the F1-3, 11-12 key does not work. I am using a wireless Microsoft keyboard : Microsoft Wireless All-In-One Media Keyboard.

Anyone have this issue?
You would need to be more precise what you mean by not working.

F1-F5 & F11-F12 keys are mapped to android buttons so they are not supposed to work as function keys (please read the FAQ).

tholau

Nov 6, 2009
SSD and IR receiver should work pretty much as is. Fan and power button would need some work to get them working.

You can't use the drivers they've made available for regular Linux distros with Android so you'd need to create your own implementation.

Ah, okay.
Well, I'm not skilled in these things (like creating drivers, etc.). I hoped that you might have an idea or even an approach on how to solve this.
But with this in mind I'll refrain from buying this case.

KonstaT

Jan 20, 2016
KonstaKANG.com
Ah, okay.
Well, I'm not skilled in these things (like creating drivers, etc.). I hoped that you might have an idea or even an approach on how to solve this.
But with this in mind I'll refrain from buying this case.
Well, I don't have the hardware so it's not for me to do (why? and I wouldn't have anything to test so it would be also practically impossible).

It's for the hardware manufacturer to support (as they support other OS as well) or someone who has the hardware and wants to use it with Android.

Reactions: tholau

ndkone

Dec 21, 2012
You would need to be more precise what you mean by not working.

F1-F5 & F11-F12 keys are mapped to android buttons so they are not supposed to work as function keys (please read the FAQ).

My bad, I was referring to F1-F5 & F11-12 mapped to android remote keys but they are not working on my setup.
For example F2 is back and pressing F2 does nothing. F11-12 are volume control and that does not do anything either.

Is there something I can check why the mapping is not working?

I have installed the lineage 18.1-20211123 KonstaKANG-rpi4-atv. (installing Gapps or not have no difference).

Thanks for your help in advance.

Last edited:

KonstaT

Jan 20, 2016
KonstaKANG.com
My bad, I was referring to F1-F5 & F11-12 mapped to android remote keys but they are not working on my setup.
For example F2 is back and pressing F2 does nothing. F11-12 are volume control and that does not do anything either.

Is there something I can check why the mapping is not working?

I have installed the lineage 18.1-20211123 KonstaKANG-rpi4-atv. (installing Gapps or not have no difference).

Thanks for your help in advance.
Isn't that basically just an USB keyboard? Do you need to also press some other buttons to get to the F-keys? I really don't see any reason why that wouldn't work. Only the home, back, and volume keys will do something with Android TV and it also of course depends where you are in the UI.

There's 'getevent' tool you can run in rooted shell the see exactly what (key)events you get from input devices.

Homewrecker

Jan 9, 2009
For some reason I cannot get my Google TV remote to pair on my RPi 4.
When I start searching for accessories, the Google TV remote is detected but when I click on it to pair, after a few seconds it says 'Couldn't pair'.

Already did a factory reset on the remote but no success.
Remote still works with my Google TV dongle.

Any ideas on how I can fix/troubleshoot this?

KonstaT

Jan 20, 2016
KonstaKANG.com
For some reason I cannot get my Google TV remote to pair on my RPi 4.
When I start searching for accessories, the Google TV remote is detected but when I click on it to pair, after a few seconds it says 'Couldn't pair'.

Already did a factory reset on the remote but no success.
Remote still works with my Google TV dongle.

Any ideas on how I can fix/troubleshoot this?
There's been similar reports with pairing some Android TV remotes after installing gapps. Pairing the remote works without gapps, though.

You can test and confirm if that is the case, grab a logcat, and contribute to discussion at https://github.com/opengapps/opengapps/issues/915.

Reactions: Homewrecker

ndkone

Dec 21, 2012
Isn't that basically just an USB keyboard? Do you need to also press some other buttons to get to the F-keys? I really don't see any reason why that wouldn't work. Only the home, back, and volume keys will do something with Android TV and it also of course depends where you are in the UI.

There's 'getevent' tool you can run in rooted shell the see exactly what (key)events you get from input devices.
Yeah, that is strange.

I tested some more. A WIRED keyboard works.
But when I use a WIRELESS keyboard, those F-keys do not work.

I am going to get a different media keyboard, most likely logitech instead.

During this process, I found two areas that I cannot update on the settings:
1) I cannot change the name of the device to a custom name. I can pick any of the existing name, but I cannot change to say PiTV for example. Anything custom, the change are in cycle keep asking me to change it but never save what I entered.
2) I setup a WIFI SSID at the initial setup. Afterward, I tried to change it or add another SSID. It would not like me add one. It kept going from enter the name of the wifi and enter key and enter it again in loops. The wifi SSID is hidden if that make a difference.

KonstaT

Jan 20, 2016
KonstaKANG.com
Yeah, that is strange.

I tested some more. A WIRED keyboard works.
But when I use a WIRELESS keyboard, those F-keys do not work.

I am going to get a different media keyboard, most likely logitech instead.

During this process, I found two areas that I cannot update on the settings:
1) I cannot change the name of the device to a custom name. I can pick any of the existing name, but I cannot change to say PiTV for example. Anything custom, the change are in cycle keep asking me to change it but never save what I entered.
2) I setup a WIFI SSID at the initial setup. Afterward, I tried to change it or add another SSID. It would not like me add one. It kept going from enter the name of the wifi and enter key and enter it again in loops. The wifi SSID is hidden if that make a difference.
Shouldn't make any difference if USB keyboard is wired or wireless (works just fine with my wireless USB keyboards). Bluetooth keyboard might different depending on the device.

Tested and I can reproduce both those issues. Added to my list of broken settings options in Android TV. These are common issues with Android TV in general, not something to do with my device specific implementation so not necessarily in my territory.

ndkone

Dec 21, 2012
Anyone know if there is a way to add DVD/BD driver to the build so a USB BD drive can be attached to RPi to play disks with mp4 or vob files with VLC?

Does it need a special USB driver and/or ISO9660 FS layer in the kernel?

Last edited:

KonstaT

Jan 20, 2016
KonstaKANG.com
Anyone know if there is a way to add DVD/BD driver to the build so a USB BD drive can be attached to RPi to play disks with mp4 or vob files with VLC?

Does it need a special USB driver and/or ISO9660 FS layer in the kernel?
If it's not exposed as regular USB storage device unlike you could that working natively in Android. There seems to be specific third party apps for the purpose/to support specific drives, though.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    New builds. Things are moving forward with LineageOS 19 so these can possibly be the final LineageOS 18 builds. Same changelog on both.

-fix reboots related to Hotspot 2.0 networks/ANQP requests (see issue #6)
    -Vulkan 1.1 (thanks to people at Igalia for Vulkan 1.1 conformance and Roman Stratiienko for latest Mesa fixes)
    -add new options to Raspberry Pi settings (force rotation & CPU governor)
    -prepare for OTAs
    -update to TWRP 3.6.0_11-1-KonstaKANG
    -update to Mesa 21.3.4
    -update to Linux 5.4.173 kernel and patch known vulnerabilities (CVE-xxxx-xxxx, and more)
    -Android security patch level: 5 January 2022 (merged)
    Wow, so the device overheats when you overclock it to the max without taking care of any cooling. Who would have guessed. /s :p

You don't need to overclock for smooth H.264 1080p video playback. You most definitely shouldn't overclock if you don't know what you're doing. You most definitely shouldn't overclock if you don't take care of proper cooling. Just because you're given the option to overclock the CPU doesn't still mean that you should. LOL, kind of feels like 2012 again when overclocking Android devices was still a thing.

You can't use drivers/scripts intended for regular Linux distros with Android. Someone shared a script for Argon case that changes the fan speed according to CPU temperature (http://disq.us/p/2guifm1).
    I have installed a fan now and everything is running much smoother. Many thanks!
    The new build works perfectly so far. No problem on CM4 with WiFi (ANQP or otherwise) with fix and no issue with permissions that I am experiencing with the new Lineage 19 builds. Excellent work, thanks!!
    Here’s my build of LineageOS 18.1 for Raspberry Pi 4 Model B and Pi 400. It is unofficial and unsupported by the LineageOS team. It’s for advanced users only. Pi 4 model with at least 2GB of RAM is required to run this build.

Important! This image includes parts that are licensed under non-commercial license (Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-ShareAlike 4.0 International). You may use this build freely in personal/educational/etc use. Commercial use is not allowed with this build!

Screenshot_20210104-104810_Settings.png

There is also Android TV version available.

Screenshot_20210306-163341_Settings.png

Working:
    • Audio (HDMI, 3.5mm jack, USB microphones, bluetooth speakers/headphones, etc)
    • Audio DAC (using GPIO DACs e.g. Hifiberry DAC+)
    • Bluetooth (and bluetooth tethering)
    • Camera (using official Pi camera modules & UVC USB webcams)
    • GPIO
    • GPS (using external USB modules e.g. U-Blox 7)
    • Ethernet
    • Hardware accelerated graphics (V3D, OpenGL & Vulkan)
    • HDMI display (and HDMI-CEC)
    • I2C
    • IR remotes (using external GPIO IR modules e.g. TSOP4838)
    • RTC (using external GPIO I2C modules e.g. DS3231)
    • Sensors (using external GPIO I2C modules e.g. MPU6050, LSM6DS3, LSM303DLHC & BME280/BMP280 accelerometer/gyroscope/magnetometer/temperature/pressure/humidity)
    • Serial console (using external GPIO serial console adapters e.g. PL2303)
    • SPI
    • Touchscreen/multi-touch (USB touchscreens, Waveshare SPI touchscreens)
    • USB (mouse, keyboard, storage, etc)
    • USB-C (ADB, MTP, PTP, USB tethering)
    • Wifi (and wifi tethering)

Not working:
    • Hardware video decoding & encoding (software decoding & encoding works)

Issues:
    • Stock camera app is not working - many third party camera apps seem to work
    • SELinux is in permissive mode
    • and more…

Sources:

• Peter Yoon and android-rpi project
    • Roman Stratiienko and GloDroid project
    • AOSP reference board developers (dragonboard, hikey, yukawa)
    • E. Anholt for V3D graphics driver
    • Maxime Ripard for Pi 4 KMS driver
    • Android-x86 project
    • LineageOS team and everyone who has contributed to LineageOS 18.1
    New build.

-add support for LSM303DLHC accelerometer & magnetometer sensor
    -add separate TWRP flashable su add-on (see FAQ)
    -allow switching display off with power button
    -add support for USB-C (ADB, MTP, PTP, USB-tethering)
    -enable bluetooth tethering
    -add settings option for mouse back button feature
    -update to TWRP 3.5.0_9-0-KonstaKANG
    -update to Mesa 20.3.4
    -update to Linux 5.4.98 kernel and patch known vulnerabilities (CVE-xxxx-xxxx, and more)
    -Android security patch level: 5 February 2021 (merged)
    How to install:
    1. Follow the official Raspberry Pi instructions for writing the image to the SD card.

FAQ:

FAQ is getting quite long and difficult to maintain in several different places. You can find the always up-to-date FAQs here:
    https://konstakang.com/devices/rpi4/LineageOS18/
    https://konstakang.com/devices/rpi4/LineageOS18-ATV/
    New builds.

-add support for Vulkan
    -rework bluetooth (thanks to android-rpi)
    -update to Mesa 21.1.8
    -update to Linux 5.4.152 kernel and patch known vulnerabilities (CVE-xxxx-xxxx, and more)
    -Android security patch level: 1 October 2021 (merged)

---

-add support for Vulkan
    -rework bluetooth (thanks to android-rpi)
    -switch to new two-panel settings UI (merged)
    -update to Mesa 21.1.8
    -update to Linux 5.4.152 kernel and patch known vulnerabilities (CVE-xxxx-xxxx, and more)
    -Android security patch level: 1 October 2021 (merged)
    New build.

-add initial support for HDMI-CEC
    -add built-in VNC server
    -update to Mesa 21.0.2
    -update to Linux 5.4.111 kernel and patch known vulnerabilities (CVE-xxxx-xxxx, and more)
    -Android security patch level: 5 April 2021 (merged)