[DEV][ROM][UNOFFICIAL] LineageOS 18.1 (Android 11) for Raspberry Pi 4 B

Search This thread

KonstaT

Jan 20, 2016
KonstaKANG.com
Hello Konsta,
of course I installed OpenGapps; that's the prerequisite for being able to install the Playstore and other apps at all... at least that's how I understood it.
Apps that are not offered in the Playstore, I tried to install with X-plore (apk files) worked in many cases.

My question was how I can sort the start page a bit nicer (create folders; arrange the order of the apps).

I've already read something about replacing the launcher, whether I can find it again is another problem ;-)
. But if I replace the gapps launcher, will the TV apps still work and be displayed?

. IIRC - what does this mean?

. and another question about PrimeVideo App:
I installed version 3.0.318.11255 here, it is not displayed on the start page, but I can start it via Settings/Apps/Open.
how do I get such apps on the start page and others away from the start page?

Greetings
No, it's not necessary to install gapps to install other applications. You can sideload .apk files as discussed before (or sideload an alternative app store such as F-Droid or Aurora and use it install apps). Certain applications requiring Google services to run is different story of course.

If you type IIRC to Google search it will give you the definition: abbreviation. if I remember correctly; if I recall correctly.

If you can't create folders or add shortcuts to the start page with the Google Android TV launcher, then you probably can't. You need to look into using an alternative launcher or maybe you would find the regular tablet UI Android builds more suitable for your use.

maxmaschine

Apr 3, 2022
IIRC: If I Read Correctly or If I Remember Correctly ...roughly, I had already guessed... ;-)

where can i get the tablet ui android builds from.
So I can test this times.

...how can I uninstall the OpenGapps if necessary?
do I have to go into recovery mode to uninstall?

KonstaT

Jan 20, 2016
KonstaKANG.com
IIRC: If I Read Correctly or If I Remember Correctly ...roughly, I had already guessed... ;-)

where can i get the tablet ui android builds from.
So I can test this times.

...how can I uninstall the OpenGapps if necessary?
do I have to go into recovery mode to uninstall?
You can find all my builds at

You can't directly remote gapps as they are added to the system partition. One option is to remove the gapps backuptool script (in /system/addon.d/) or just wiping the entire system partition in TWRP and reflashing an OTA package (edit. I haven't released any OTA packages for LineageOS 18 builds). I'd just recommend starting from clean installation in this case.

khmadhu

Mar 31, 2013
Hi Konsta,

I tried u r "lineage-18.1-20220121-UNOFFICIAL-KonstaKANG-rpi4-atv.img" image on my new pi4B 4GB model, but it throws below error.

start4x.elf: is not compatible
This board requires newer software

But I recently updated the pi4 firmware to 10-4-2022, not sure why its giving this error.
When i try installing "lineage-19.1-20220407-UNOFFICIAL-KonstaKANG-rpi4-atv.zip" it works, but the reason i m trying for Android 11 version is there is no working Gapps for Android 12!,

Can you please help me to fix this, I am trying to make my pi4 same as android TV's UI where i can get Netflix, Prime,Youtube.... with all USB playback options. please let me know which is the best way to do.

KonstaT

Jan 20, 2016
KonstaKANG.com
Hi Konsta,

I tried u r "lineage-18.1-20220121-UNOFFICIAL-KonstaKANG-rpi4-atv.img" image on my new pi4B 4GB model, but it throws below error.

start4x.elf: is not compatible
This board requires newer software

But I recently updated the pi4 firmware to 10-4-2022, not sure why its giving this error.
When i try installing "lineage-19.1-20220407-UNOFFICIAL-KonstaKANG-rpi4-atv.zip" it works, but the reason i m trying for Android 11 version is there is no working Gapps for Android 12!,

Can you please help me to fix this, I am trying to make my pi4 same as android TV's UI where i can get Netflix, Prime,Youtube.... with all USB playback options. please let me know which is the best way to do.
Just discussed on the previous page.

markus566

Apr 22, 2022
You can copy hwcomposer.drm.so (one in both /vendor/lib64/hw/ and /vendor/lib/hw/) from the latest LineageOS 19 build.

Dual-HDMI doesn't work with KMS driver in 5.4 kernel but headless mode works fine.
Hi KonstaT,
i tried replacing both hwcomposer.drm.so files in your lineage-18.1-20220121 build with the files from the lineage-19.1-20220407 build to make headless mode work, but it still requires a hdmi display to be plugged in for booting. The apps i want to use do not work with your latest 19.1 release.

Could you please provide a link to both hwcomposer.drm.so files that work for headless 18.1? thanks

KonstaT

Jan 20, 2016
KonstaKANG.com
Hi KonstaT,
i tried replacing both hwcomposer.drm.so files in your lineage-18.1-20220121 build with the files from the lineage-19.1-20220407 build to make headless mode work, but it still requires a hdmi display to be plugged in for booting. The apps i want to use do not work with your latest 19.1 release.

Could you please provide a link to both hwcomposer.drm.so files that work for headless 18.1? thanks
It boots just fine for me without any display connected.

You need to mount the vendor partition writable to make any changes (or mount the sdcard on your Linux computer and copy the files over).

maxmaschine

Apr 3, 2022
You can find all my builds at

You can't directly remote gapps as they are added to the system partition. One option is to remove the gapps backuptool script (in /system/addon.d/) or just wiping the entire system partition in TWRP and reflashing an OTA package (edit. I haven't released any OTA packages for LineageOS 18 builds). I'd just recommend starting from clean installation in this case.
Hello Konsta,
had to take a few days off due to health reasons... ;-) ...but everything is fine now!

If I set up the A11 again and don't install OpenGapps, how do I get an alternative AppStore like Aurora or F-Droid... I downloaded these as apk, but in recovery mode I can only install zip files. Is there another way to install apk files without installing OpenGapps?
possibly a guide or a link to a guide?
I wish you a nice rest of the day...

KonstaT

Jan 20, 2016
KonstaKANG.com
Hello Konsta,
had to take a few days off due to health reasons... ;-) ...but everything is fine now!

If I set up the A11 again and don't install OpenGapps, how do I get an alternative AppStore like Aurora or F-Droid... I downloaded these as apk, but in recovery mode I can only install zip files. Is there another way to install apk files without installing OpenGapps?
possibly a guide or a link to a guide?
I wish you a nice rest of the day...
E.g. copy an .apk to an USB drive -> plug the drive to your Pi -> use built-in file manager to browse the USB drive -> double click on an .apk to install.

Or dowload .apk to your computer -> connect to your Pi from your computer using ADB -> execute 'adb install appname.apk' on your computer.

limpleg

Dec 13, 2021
anyone a idea with my issue?
Have installed latest lineage-18 release, needed to change the boot files cause of newer raspberry rev. and then installed gapps and facotry reset the device... now loadingscreeen of lineage is hanging (those big dots from rigth to left) - screen stucks there and no futher setup is possible...

KonstaT

Jan 20, 2016
KonstaKANG.com
anyone a idea with my issue?
Have installed latest lineage-18 release, needed to change the boot files cause of newer raspberry rev. and then installed gapps and facotry reset the device... now loadingscreeen of lineage is hanging (those big dots from rigth to left) - screen stucks there and no futher setup is possible...
OpenGApps builds are automated untested builds and they tend to get broken sometimes. Correct place to report issues with gapps with appropriate logs would be e.g. https://github.com/opengapps/opengapps/issues/873 where we've discussed similar issues on several occasions before.

You can try using an older OpenGApps release.

Reactions: limpleg

KonstaT

Jan 20, 2016
KonstaKANG.com
Final Android 11 builds. Same changelog on both.

• also available as OTA package
  • add support for Compute Module 4
    • fix DAC audio device selection on CM4 & Pi 400 that don’t have 3.5mm audio jack
    • fix USB storage (Pi 400 as well?)
    • add support for the RTC on the I/O board
    • use OTG mode for USB to support ADB, MTP, PTP, USB tethering on the micro-USB port on the I/O board
  • update boot firmware for newer Pi 4 hardware revisions
  • various drm_hwcomposer updates e.g. support for headless mode (thanks to Roman Stratiienko)
  • automatically set density based on display resolution
  • add support for APDS9930 ambient light/proximity sensor
  • update to TWRP 3.6.1_11-1-KonstaKANG
  • update to Mesa 21.3.8
  • update to Linux 5.4.191 kernel and patch known vulnerabilities (CVE-xxxx-xxxx, and more)
  • Android security patch level: 5 May 2022 (merged)

RicardoScar

Mar 24, 2015
Im having trouble getting HDMI-CEC to work. TV is a LG UH6100. CEC works fine when using libreelec on the same pi and hdmi ports. Where do i start to debbug the problem? It is possible that my TV have some type of old CEC technology, it is called "simplink" on TV options, but im not sure simplink is the problem.

KonstaT

Jan 20, 2016
KonstaKANG.com

tronmech

I tried to use this ROM to run my pi 400 as a media platform. Apple TV refused to play any videos, with the usual lack of messaging. It's likely some DRM not being present or supported.

When using Paramount Plus, videos play, but it's pretty choppy and buffers a lot. Haven't tried downloaded video yet. Maybe it needs hardware acceleration?

Can't try the other atv build because there isn't. An atv (or any other) Android 12 gapps package.

KonstaT

Jan 20, 2016
KonstaKANG.com
I tried to use this ROM to run my pi 400 as a media platform. Apple TV refused to play any videos, with the usual lack of messaging. It's likely some DRM not being present or supported.

When using Paramount Plus, videos play, but it's pretty choppy and buffers a lot. Haven't tried downloaded video yet. Maybe it needs hardware acceleration?

Can't try the other atv build because there isn't. An atv (or any other) Android 12 gapps package.
Impossible to say without seeing any logs. Logcat?

Generally speaking H.264/VP8/VP9 videos at 1080p should play just fine using software decoder. It depends on the app/service which codec it uses for video streaming.

tronmech

Impossible to say without seeing any logs. Logcat?

Generally speaking H.264/VP8/VP9 videos at 1080p should play just fine using software decoder. It depends on the app/service which codec it uses for video streaming.
Attaching the 2 logcats on paramount plus. And also attaching the logcat on AppleTV.

Attachments

• pplus-andtv18.tgz
    379.3 KB · Views: 7
  • appletv.tgz
    83.8 KB · Views: 6
Reactions: KonstaT

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Here’s my build of LineageOS 18.1 for Raspberry Pi 4 Model B, Pi 400, and Compute Module 4. It is unofficial and unsupported by the LineageOS team. It’s for advanced users only. Pi 4 model with at least 2GB of RAM is required to run this build.

Important! This image includes parts that are licensed under non-commercial license (Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-ShareAlike 4.0 International). You may use this build freely in personal/educational/etc use. Commercial use is not allowed with this build! You can contact me by email to discuss creating customized Android builds for commercial purposes.

Screenshot_20210104-104810_Settings.png

There is also Android TV version available.

Screenshot_20210306-163341_Settings.png

Working:
    • Audio (HDMI, 3.5mm jack, USB microphones, bluetooth speakers/headphones, etc)
    • Audio DAC (using GPIO DACs e.g. Hifiberry DAC+)
    • Bluetooth (and bluetooth tethering)
    • Camera (using official Pi camera modules & UVC USB webcams)
    • GPIO
    • GPS (using external USB modules e.g. U-Blox 7)
    • Ethernet
    • Hardware accelerated graphics (V3D, OpenGL & Vulkan)
    • HDMI display (and HDMI-CEC)
    • I2C
    • IR remotes (using external GPIO IR modules e.g. TSOP4838)
    • RTC (using external GPIO I2C modules e.g. DS3231)
    • Sensors (using external GPIO I2C modules e.g. MPU6050, LSM6DS3, LSM303DLHC, BME280/BMP280, and APDS9930 accelerometer, gyroscope, magnetometer, temperature, pressure, humidity, ambient light, and proximity)
    • Serial console (using external GPIO serial console adapters e.g. PL2303)
    • SPI
    • Touchscreen/multi-touch (USB touchscreens, Waveshare SPI touchscreens)
    • USB (mouse, keyboard, storage, etc)
    • USB-C (ADB, MTP, PTP, USB tethering)
    • Wifi (and wifi tethering)

Not working:
    • Hardware video decoding & encoding (software decoding & encoding works)

Issues:
    • Stock camera app is not working - many third party camera apps seem to work
    • SELinux is in permissive mode
    • and more…

Sources:

• Peter Yoon and android-rpi project
    • Roman Stratiienko and GloDroid project
    • AOSP reference board developers (dragonboard, hikey, yukawa)
    • E. Anholt for V3D graphics driver
    • Maxime Ripard for Pi 4 KMS driver
    • Android-x86 project
    • LineageOS team and everyone who has contributed to LineageOS 18.1
    New build.

-add support for LSM303DLHC accelerometer & magnetometer sensor
    -add separate TWRP flashable su add-on (see FAQ)
    -allow switching display off with power button
    -add support for USB-C (ADB, MTP, PTP, USB-tethering)
    -enable bluetooth tethering
    -add settings option for mouse back button feature
    -update to TWRP 3.5.0_9-0-KonstaKANG
    -update to Mesa 20.3.4
    -update to Linux 5.4.98 kernel and patch known vulnerabilities (CVE-xxxx-xxxx, and more)
    -Android security patch level: 5 February 2021 (merged)
    How to install:
    1. Follow the official Raspberry Pi instructions for writing the image to the SD card.
    If you’re running a recent build (20220121 or newer) you can also update to newer builds using TWRP flashable OTA packages. OTA updates pushed through the built-in Updater app are stored at /data/lineageos_updates/.
    1. Download lineage-18.1-xxxxxxxx-UNOFFICIAL-KonstaKANG-rpi4-ota.zip and save it to your device’s internal storage or use an external USB drive
    2. Boot to TWRP recovery (see FAQ)
    3. Install lineage-18.1-xxxxxxxx-UNOFFICIAL-KonstaKANG-rpi4-ota.zip from your selected storage
    4. (Flash Magisk/other add-ons you had previously installed)
    5. Boot out of recovery (see FAQ)
    Changes that are backed up and restored flashing OTAs:
    • Device specific settings changed using Settings -> System -> Raspberry Pi settings
    • Manual changes to /boot/resolution.txt and /boot/rc_keymap.txt
    • USB boot configuration in /boot/config.txt
    • GApps
    Changes that are not backed up and restored flashing OTAs:
    • Manual changes to /boot/config.txt (and any other manual changes to /boot partition)
    • Magisk

FAQ:

FAQ is getting quite long and difficult to maintain in several different places. You can find the always up-to-date FAQs here:
    https://konstakang.com/devices/rpi4/LineageOS18/
    https://konstakang.com/devices/rpi4/LineageOS18-ATV/
    New builds.

-add support for Vulkan
    -rework bluetooth (thanks to android-rpi)
    -update to Mesa 21.1.8
    -update to Linux 5.4.152 kernel and patch known vulnerabilities (CVE-xxxx-xxxx, and more)
    -Android security patch level: 1 October 2021 (merged)

---

-add support for Vulkan
    -rework bluetooth (thanks to android-rpi)
    -switch to new two-panel settings UI (merged)
    -update to Mesa 21.1.8
    -update to Linux 5.4.152 kernel and patch known vulnerabilities (CVE-xxxx-xxxx, and more)
    -Android security patch level: 1 October 2021 (merged)
    New build.

-add initial support for HDMI-CEC
    -add built-in VNC server
    -update to Mesa 21.0.2
    -update to Linux 5.4.111 kernel and patch known vulnerabilities (CVE-xxxx-xxxx, and more)
    -Android security patch level: 5 April 2021 (merged)