• Introducing XDA Computing: Discussion zones for Hardware, Software, and more!    Check it out!

[DEV][ROM][UNOFFICIAL] LineageOS 19.0 (Android 12) for Raspberry Pi 4 B

Search This thread

KonstaT

Jan 20, 2016
KonstaKANG.com
Nice!

It seems this still uses an earlier kernel, so I guess that means no official touchscreen support (yet)?

EDIT: Ah, found the FAQ entry now. Gonna link it here for ease of access and in case others are curious as well: https://konstakang.com/devices/rpi4/LineageOS19/#comment-5598552752
Btw., is there an experimental build with 5.10 kernel? Or is there an (easy) way for a build-noob like me to try it out? I've been waiting for Android 12 for the Pi to try a car entertainment thing out, even tho I get a new car in a few days which doesn't require that anymore but I may do it for others still.
Yes, still stuck with Linux 5.4 kernel (which by all means is not old if you consider Android devices in general). Would love to switch to 5.10 but having no HDMI audio is a pretty big show stopper. Recent developments with hw video dec/enc and libcamera also require 5.10 kernel so we'll see if it would make sense to make some more bleeding edge release at some point.
You are most likely experiencing the WiFi boot loop issue. If you disable wifi in config.txt and use ethernet that may solve the boot loop.
Konsta, is there any current way or possible future way to manually enter our WiFi details without allowing Lineage to perform it's search? The network search appears to be the instigator of boot loop issues.
Having recent logs would be very useful if this is even the same issue as previously.

Disabling wifi scanning is not the correct way to address this issue in any case.
Feedback: both my cheap webcams do not work. Magisk does its job. An USB-stick will not be ejected. Rotation control is not as easy as before ( I use a landscape screen). Total Commander sometimes needs 30 seconds to load the main screen (loading ...). Emergency call can not be disabled in the power-menu (you can uncheck it, but it stays)

Do you know, that the image comes "allready startet"?

The OS is so fare working. Good job! Thanks. It will not be my working OS, because I need the camera (dashcam), so I will observe your development :)

Spielmops
There's an option for display rotation in Settings -> System -> Advanced settings -> Display rotation. Landscape is by default anyway so it should be just as easy as before. LineageOS 19 doesn't yet have any power menu options.

LineageOS 19 doesn't yet have setup wizard so the image boots directly to home screen.

Sinedan

Nov 18, 2021
Hello,

I would like to connect a hard disk with the file system NTFS. Unfortunately it is not recognized!

What do I have to do so that the hard drive is recognized?

Cheers

KonstaT

Jan 20, 2016
KonstaKANG.com
Hello,

I would like to connect a hard disk with the file system NTFS. Unfortunately it is not recognized!

What do I have to do so that the hard drive is recognized?

Cheers
You need to reformat your drive. NTFS is a proprietary WIndows file system and Android doesn't have native support for it.

Only FAT32 external drives are currently supported with this build (exFAT support was added to LineageOS 19 after this build so it will be supported if/when there's another build). You can use both FAT32 and exFAT drives on current LineageOS 18 builds.

rabbited

Mar 10, 2020
I can try to get a logcat sometime in the next week, but it's definitely the same issue. Behavior is identical to previous versions and boot loop goes away when disabling wifi in the config file at which point Lineage works without issue.

Sinnedan

Nov 18, 2021
Hello KonstaT and thank you very much.

I would like to create an Android TV with a multimedia hard drive (movies, series,...).
This hard drive unfortunately has NTFS because files over 4GB can be used there, but if I'm not mistaken, exFAT can do that too.
Before I change the file system, I decided to use "NTSF for Android" from Paragon. I also use that on my MacBook Pro.

But since I also had problems with NordVPN with the 19.0 Built, I will take another version. Due to the regular updates, it should then be the 18.1 ATV, since the last update there was on 26.10.21.

See you soon in the 18.1 thread... ;)

Cheers

KonstaT

Jan 20, 2016
KonstaKANG.com
New build. Added optional Linux 5.10 kernel add-on to test a lot of WIP stuff.

-add option to show virtual volume down, volume up, and power keys on navigation bar (requires reboot)
-add option for old TCP-based ADB over network
-show IP address and port for ADB/SSH/VNC options
-update to TWRP 3.6.0_11-0-KonstaKANG
-update to Mesa 21.3.0
-update to Linux 5.4.161 kernel and patch known vulnerabilities (CVE-xxxx-xxxx, and more)
-Android security patch level: 5 November 2021 (merged)

Linux 5.10 kernel: (optional add-on)
-various KMS driver improvements (DSI panel support, etc)
-support for Pi camera modules using libcamera, preview & photos work - camcorder doesn’t (thanks to Roman Stratiienko)
-option to test currently very WIP H.264 hardware video decoding using v4l2_codec2 (Settings -> System -> Advanced settings -> Hardware video decoding)
-HDMI audio is not supported! (see issue #4651 & issue #4654)
-new Raspberry Pi Android kernel bring-up based on AOSP android12-5.10-lts
-update to Linux 5.10.81 kernel and patch known vulnerabilities (CVE-xxxx-xxxx, and more)

KonstaT

Jan 20, 2016
KonstaKANG.com
Is auto rotate working with the use of an MPU6050 sensor?
Yes, seems to work fine with 5.4 kernel that comes by default with the image.

Already noticed that MPU6050 temperature reading is not working with 5.10 kernel but also the accelerometer and gyroscope seem to stop working after a while. Something to look into. Most likely just needs some tuning with with the sensor HAL (https://github.com/lineage-rpi/android_hardware_intel_sensors-iio/blob/lineage-19.0/README#L205-L228).

EpicLPer

Aug 29, 2012
Scheibbs
epiclper.com
Trying to use the official touchscreen with the 5.10 Kernel addon but it doesn't seem to want to use it as an output. Anything I need to do still after flashing it?

KonstaT

Jan 20, 2016
KonstaKANG.com
Trying to use the official touchscreen with the 5.10 Kernel addon but it doesn't seem to want to use it as an output. Anything I need to do still after flashing it?
Yes, uncommenting 'dtoverlay=vc4-kms-dsi-7inch' in /boot/config.txt is the bare minimum at least. You also need to change display density to adjust to the smaller display resolution and I can't recall if it is absolutely necessary to do something with /boot/resolution.txt.

There is also a script included that takes care of all of this (and I'll add settings option for this if/when this is confirmed working).
Code:
su
rpi4-touchscreen.sh raspberry

I broke my official 7" display a while back so I'd appreciate if someone could test it and report back. It was working before with 5.10 kernel so everything should be there. There's a list of things to test like does booting into/out of TWRP also work, does touch work in TWRP, and does adjusting brightness work in both Android & TWRP.

Last edited:
Reactions: EpicLPer

EpicLPer

Aug 29, 2012
Scheibbs
epiclper.com
There is also a script included that takes care of all of this (and I'll add settings option for this if/when this is confirmed working).
Code:
su
rpi4-touchscreen.sh raspberry
Yeah sure, I can test this :) But where is that script located exactly? I can't seem to find it.

EDIT: Ah, found it in /vendor ! Ran that now, lets see if it worked.

Last edited:

EpicLPer

Aug 29, 2012
Scheibbs
epiclper.com

Official Touchscreen - Found Issues:

Once the Pie went into Standby (locked) and then woken up by a keyboard the touch inputs are not registered anymore. actually it does seem to register touch in this state still, cause when the screen starts dimming and I touch the screen it'll go full bright again, however it doesn't "touch" anything on screen anymore.
That said you also can't wake up the Pi anymore via the touchscreen once the screen locks/goes black, you have to use a keyboard or presumably the GPIO button (which I didn't test).

----------

TWRP on the touchscreen works without any detectable issues whatsoever :) Touch works, brightness works and it even correctly uses the 800x480 resolution and DPI scale from the build.prop!

Last edited:
Reactions: KonstaT

KonstaT

Jan 20, 2016
KonstaKANG.com

Official Touchscreen - Found Issues:

Once the Pie went into Standby (locked) and then woken up by a keyboard the touch inputs are not registered anymore. actually it does seem to register touch in this state still, cause when the screen starts dimming and I touch the screen it'll go full bright again, however it doesn't "touch" anything on screen anymore.
That said you also can't wake up the Pi anymore via the touchscreen once the screen locks/goes black, you have to use a keyboard or presumably the GPIO button (which I didn't test).

----------

TWRP on the touchscreen works without any detectable issues whatsoever :) Touch works, brightness works and it even correctly uses the 800x480 resolution and DPI scale from the build.prop!
Great, thanks for testing! :)

There was a similar report on my site with an USB touchscreen so it seems more general issue. I have an USB touchscreen I can use to test so I'll look into this when I get around.

how cn i fix this erorr on pixel experience 12

[email protected]:~/pixel$ make ramdisk systemimage vendorimage
build/make/core/soong_config.mk:196: warning: BOARD_PLAT_PUBLIC_SEPOLICY_DIR has been deprecated. Use SYSTEM_EXT_PUBLIC_SEPOLICY_DIRS instead.
build/make/core/soong_config.mk:197: warning: BOARD_PLAT_PRIVATE_SEPOLICY_DIR has been deprecated. Use SYSTEM_EXT_PRIVATE_SEPOLICY_DIRS instead.
============================================
PLATFORM_VERSION_CODENAME=REL
PLATFORM_VERSION=12
TARGET_PRODUCT=rpi4
TARGET_BUILD_VARIANT=eng
TARGET_BUILD_TYPE=release
TARGET_ARCH=arm64
TARGET_ARCH_VARIANT=armv8-a
TARGET_CPU_VARIANT=cortex-a72
HOST_ARCH=x86_64
HOST_2ND_ARCH=x86
HOST_OS=linux
HOST_OS_EXTRA=Linux-5.4.0-90-generic-x86_64-Linux-Mint-20.2
HOST_CROSS_OS=windows
HOST_CROSS_ARCH=x86
HOST_CROSS_2ND_ARCH=x86_64
HOST_BUILD_TYPE=release
BUILD_ID=SD1A.210817.036
OUT_DIR=out
PRODUCT_SOONG_NAMESPACES=external/mesa3d
============================================
[100% 1/1] out/soong/.bootstrap/bin/soong_build out/soong/build.ninja
FAILED: out/soong/build.ninja
cd "$(dirname "out/soong/.bootstrap/bin/soong_build")" && BUILDER="$PWD/$(basename "out/soong/.bootstrap/bin/soong_build")" && cd / && env -i "$BUILDER" -
-top "$TOP" --out "out/soong" -n "out" -d "out/soong/build.ninja.d" -t -l out/.module_paths/Android.bp.list -globFile out/soong/.bootstrap/bui
ld-globs.ninja -o out/soong/build.ninja --available_env out/soong/soong.environment.available --used_env out/soong/soong.environment.used Android.bp
error: hardware/interfaces/neuralnetworks/aidl/utils/Android.bp:48:1: "neuralnetworks_utils_hal_aidl_test" depends on undefined module "neuralnetworks_utils_d
efaults"
16:05:29 soong bootstrap failed with: exit status 1

#### failed to build some targets (5 seconds) ####

[email protected]:~/pixel$

EpicLPer

Aug 29, 2012
Scheibbs
epiclper.com
Think I found another issue with the official touchscreen.

When booting up into TWRP by attaching a power button and holding it the touch doesn't seem to work. You do get an output, but none of the touch inputs seem to work.
UPDATE: Tested this a bit more. Touch-Inputs only work when you set the TWRP-Reboot-Option inside Android first. It doesn't matter if you simply reboot or shut the Pi down fully and then enter TWRP, touch still works that way. It only stops working when you use the power button method which seems weird...

Also the brightness in Android can go way too low to a point where you'll not be able to see anything on screen anymore at around the 1/8 mark. Should probably be capped out to not accidentally "lock yourself out". In TWRP the lowest brightness is still okay and you can see enough.

Last edited:
Reactions: KonstaT

KonstaT

Jan 20, 2016
KonstaKANG.com
Think I found another issue with the official touchscreen.

When booting up into TWRP by attaching a power button and holding it the touch doesn't seem to work. You do get an output, but none of the touch inputs seem to work.
UPDATE: Tested this a bit more. Touch-Inputs only work when you set the TWRP-Reboot-Option inside Android first. It doesn't matter if you simply reboot or shut the Pi down fully and then enter TWRP, touch still works that way. It only stops working when you use the power button method which seems weird...

Also the brightness in Android can go way too low to a point where you'll not be able to see anything on screen anymore at around the 1/8 mark. Should probably be capped out to not accidentally "lock yourself out". In TWRP the lowest brightness is still okay and you can see enough.
Thanks.

Yep, 'dtoverlay=edt-ft5406' in /boot/config.txt doesn't get enabled if you boot into TWRP with the power button. It's only needed to enable the touchscreen driver if 'dtoverlay=vc4-kms-dsi-7inch' is not already set (TWRP doesn't use hw accelerated graphics so it needs to be enable there). I also use it to check if you're using the 7" display and re-enable 'dtoverlay=vc4-kms-dsi-7inch' when booting out of recovery so not sure how I would handle this.

I've already set reasonable values for the minimum brightness but for some reason they are not respected. Brightness shouldn't go below '20' but for some reason it does (you can use 'cat /sys/class/backlight/rpi_backlight/brightness' to check). Values that the slider write are also far from linear. I'll look into this when I get around.

Reactions: EpicLPer

Dark98

Jan 10, 2013
Yes, seems to work fine with 5.4 kernel that comes by default with the image.

Already noticed that MPU6050 temperature reading is not working with 5.10 kernel but also the accelerometer and gyroscope seem to stop working after a while. Something to look into. Most likely just needs some tuning with with the sensor HAL (https://github.com/lineage-rpi/android_hardware_intel_sensors-iio/blob/lineage-19.0/README#L205-L228).
Are multiple I2C Devices supported at once? I'm using a PiSugar Pro 2 & I tried An MPU6050 but the pi doesn't seem to detect the MPU6050

KonstaT

Jan 20, 2016
KonstaKANG.com
no audio for spotify , deezeer etc using usb dac .lineage 19 please help
Why would you expect to get any different response than the last time you posted the exact same thing?

Sorry, don't even bother if your only input is "doesn't work" without any additional information.
How to uninstall kernel 5.10?
By restoring a backup you made in TWRP before you started modifying your system or by reflashing the image (or by looking what the 5.10 kernel patch does and figuring it out).
Are multiple I2C Devices supported at once? I'm using a PiSugar Pro 2 & I tried An MPU6050 but the pi doesn't seem to detect the MPU6050
Yes, you can use various I2C devices at the same time (as long as each have individual address - I2C address space is 2^7 minus some reserved addresses so theoretically little over 100 devices).

You need to enable MPU6050 from Settings -> System -> Raspberry Pi settings -> Sensors first to use it of course.

Use this to check what I2C devices are detected and at which address.
Code:
su
i2cdetect -y 1

Last edited:

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    So that's not a real LDAC?
    Like said, even if there was such option it does nothing. There is no support for _any_ proprietary bluetooth audio codec.

Edit. I take that back. LDAC should work on any device with Android 8+. AFAIK Qualcomm's aptX needs some proprietary stuff but it wouldn't be too surprising if I'm wrong on that as well (Edit2. It does, and I wasn't https://android-review.googlesource.com/c/platform/system/bt/+/318907/). :p
    New Build.

-add new options to Raspberry Pi settings (force rotation & CPU governor)
    -fix GPS issue caused by incomplete location data
    -small improvements to HDMI audio support
    -prepare for OTAs
    -update to TWRP 3.6.0_11-1-KonstaKANG
    -update to Mesa 21.3.4
    -update to Linux 5.10.90 kernel and patch known vulnerabilities (CVE-xxxx-xxxx, and more)
    -Android security patch level: 5 January 2022 (merged)

-----

There's also Android TV version available.

-initial LineageOS 19.0 Android TV build
    -add support for Pi camera modules using libcamera, preview & photos work - camcorder doesn’t (thanks to Roman Stratiienko)
    -drop old v1 camera HAL and use external camera HAL for UVC USB webcams (camera needs to support MJPG format - preview, photos & camcorder works)
    -fix reboots related to Hotspot 2.0 networks/ANQP requests (see issue #6)
    -Vulkan 1.1 (thanks to people at Igalia for Vulkan 1.1 conformance and Roman Stratiienko for latest Mesa fixes)
    -add new options to Raspberry Pi settings (force rotation & CPU governor)
    -prepare for OTAs
    -update to TWRP 3.6.0_11-1-KonstaKANG
    -update to Mesa 21.3.4
    -update to Linux 5.10.90 kernel and patch known vulnerabilities (CVE-xxxx-xxxx, and more)
    -Android security patch level: 5 January 2022 (merged)
    Separate logcats using both 4B and CM4 and the same monitor on same WiFi network when trying to run the browser. No issues with 4B, which is just here for reference/comparison. Basically just running the logcat again with monitor instead of dummy plug:
    Thanks for the longer log that actually showed the issue. Please try 'chmod 666 /sys/kernel/debug/tracing/trace_marker' in rooted shell and launching the browser (or any app that uses system's built-in webview). There was a known issue related to this a while back. No idea why this would be now needed for CM4 but not for Pi 4/400. '222' permissions should be enough but lets try this first.
    I have no idea why I was unable to find and enable "Local Terminal" under developer options, I looked at least ten times, but I performed this command first with:
    "adb root"
    "adb shell chmod 666 /sys/kernel/debug/tracing/trace_marker"

then tried again:
    "adb root"
    "adb shell"
    (within adb shell): "chmod 666 /sys/kernel/debug/tracing/trace_marker"

Rebooting each time, I don't see any changes. Thanks again for your persistence.

I've also started to have an issue that I didn't notice before where the screen goes black and I need to reboot. This was both before this attempted fix and after. I'm going to try to get another logcat that is active when the screen goes black.
    There is no built-in terminal in this build and I doubt there ever will be. There's several third party alternatives, though. Built-in terminal was also dropped from LineageOS 18 (https://review.lineageos.org/q/topic:eleven-kill-terminal) but I reverted it there. I'm not going to maintain it for 19.

No, don't reboot your device. This does not persist over reboot. Just close any app that uses webview and relaunch the app after setting the permission.

Also 'ls -l /sys/kernel/debug/tracing/trace_marker' before/after to check the permissions.

In some previous builds there was
    Code:
    on post-fs
        # Allow writing to the kernel trace log.
        chmod 0222 /sys/kernel/debug/tracing/trace_marker
    in /vendor/etc/init/hw/init.rpi4.rc to set this permission on each boot.
    Is there a problem with audio streaming through bluetooth? I have tryed to play audio over bluetooth on my car radio and it has some cut offs.
    There is a know issue with bluetooth audio and Google location services after installing gapps. This only happens with gapps installed and if you've enabled location access during the gapps setup. Google location services scan nearby bluetooth devices to determine the device location which doesn't work great when your using bluetooth audio at the same time. There's also workaround available if disabling Google location access is not enough https://forum.xda-developers.com/t/...aspberry-pi-4-b.4212945/page-14#post-85769441
    Greeting. I installed Android 12 on Rpi4 and connected the Sony WH-1000XM3. When I checked which audio codec was being used, it says LDAC. So not only Rpi, but the headphones are currently working on that codec, while they are connected to Rpi. How is that possible ?
    It means nothing. Bluetooth codec options in developer options are no-op.

Edit. LDAC should work, see https://forum.xda-developers.com/t/...raspberry-pi-4-b.4356891/page-7#post-86219431
    So I know to make the MPU6050 work I have to remove the # on #dtoverlay=android-i2c-sensor,mpu6050, I've done that and had my other sensor working fine however it's an MPU9265 technically and the compass on it doesn't report since the software wasn't setup for it. I want the compass to work so I got a LSM303DLHC since it was theoretically plug and play. I then tried writing a line dtoverlay=android-i2c-sensor,lsm303dlhc thinking it needed that to look for the input from the sensor. Unfortunately I've had no luck, I've even tried using the 6050 line again just to see if the accelerometer data might be there but of course that doesn't work. I got a 2nd one thinking maybe it was defective but unfortunatly it still isn't working. The one from adafruit is no longer available... I may have one that for one reason or another isn't compatible I don't really know, or maybe I have no idea what I'm doing? It says it uses the LSM303DLHC sensor but the board is calling itself a GY-511, it still has the correct pins however and I figured if the chip on board is correct then the rest of the stuff is just the power conditioning and should still connect properly over the I2C data paths.
    There is a settings option in Settings -> System -> Advanced settings -> Sensors. You should use that for the supported sensors instead of modifying config.txt manually. Edit. Besides, it's 'dtoverlay=android-i2c-sensor,lsm303dlhca,lsm303dlhcm' for this sensor module.

Check 'dmesg' and 'i2cdetect -y 1' (in rooted shell) to see that your sensor module is detected and what I2C address is uses. If your sensor module uses different I2C address than expected (https://github.com/lineage-rpi/andr...erlays/android-i2c-sensor-overlay.dts#L43-L71) it can also be configured in the config.txt.
    Here’s my build of LineageOS 19.0 for Raspberry Pi 4 Model B and Pi 400. It is unofficial and unsupported by the LineageOS team. It’s for advanced users only. Pi 4 model with at least 2GB of RAM is required to run this build.

Important! This image includes parts that are licensed under non-commercial license (Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-ShareAlike 4.0 International). You may use this build freely in personal/educational/etc use. Commercial use is not allowed with this build!

Screenshot_20211103-211529.png

There is also Android TV version available.

Screenshot_20220114-084413_Settings.png

Working:
    • Audio (HDMI, 3.5mm jack, USB microphones, bluetooth speakers/headphones, etc)
    • Audio DAC (using GPIO DACs e.g. Hifiberry DAC+)
    • Bluetooth (and bluetooth tethering)
    • Camera (using official Pi camera modules & UVC USB webcams)
    • GPIO
    • GPS (using external USB modules e.g. U-Blox 7)
    • Ethernet
    • Hardware accelerated graphics (V3D, OpenGL & Vulkan)
    • HDMI display (and HDMI-CEC)
    • I2C
    • IR remotes (using external GPIO IR modules e.g. TSOP4838)
    • RTC (using external GPIO I2C modules e.g. DS3231)
    • Sensors (using external GPIO I2C modules e.g. MPU6050, LSM6DS3, LSM303DLHC & BME280/BMP280 accelerometer/gyroscope/magnetometer/temperature/pressure/humidity)
    • Serial console (using external GPIO serial console adapters e.g. PL2303)
    • SPI
    • Touchscreen/multi-touch (official 7" touchscreen, USB touchscreens, Waveshare SPI touchscreens)
    • USB (mouse, keyboard, storage, etc)
    • USB-C (ADB, MTP, PTP, USB tethering)
    • Wifi (and wifi tethering)

Not working:
    • Hardware video decoding & encoding (software decoding & encoding works, option to test highly experimental H.264 hardware video decoding)

Issues:
    • Camcorder & some third party camera apps don't work with official Pi camera modules
    • SELinux is in permissive mode
    • and more…

Sources:

• Peter Yoon and android-rpi project
    • Roman Stratiienko and GloDroid project
    • AOSP reference board developers (dragonboard, hikey, yukawa)
    • E. Anholt for V3D graphics driver
    • Maxime Ripard for Pi 4 KMS driver
    • Android-x86 project
    • LineageOS team and everyone who has contributed to LineageOS 19.0
    New build.

-switch to Linux 5.10 kernel by default
    -fix VC4 HDMI audio with 5.10 kernel (3.5mm jack is now used by default so select the right HDMI device from the settings)
    -add support for the official 7" touchscreen display with hw accelerated graphics (enable configurations for the touchscreen from the settings)
    -minor brightness fixes for the official 7" display
    -add support for Pi camera modules using libcamera, preview & photos work - camcorder doesn't (thanks to Roman Stratiienko)
    -fix UVC USB webcams that use external camera HAL (camera needs to support MJPG format - preview, photos & camcorder works)
    -add option to enable currently very WIP H.264 hardware video decoding using v4l2_codec2 (enable experimental feature from the settings)
    -fix reboots related to Hotspot 2.0 networks/ANQP requests (see issue #6)
    -Vulkan 1.1 (thanks to people at Igalia for Vulkan 1.1 conformance and Roman Stratiienko for latest Mesa fixes)
    -update to Mesa 21.3.1
    -update to Linux 5.10.83 kernel and patch known vulnerabilities (CVE-xxxx-xxxx, and more)
    -Android security patch level: 5 December 2021 (merged)
    Wow I didn't expect latest Android being supported on the Pie, thanks for the great work!
    I have two small questions though :
    • Do you know how is support for microG? It doesn't cause any problem? (was wondering about casting videos for example)
    MicroG requires a patch for signature spoofing that is not included in LineageOS for security reasons. I think this is also something that can be achieved using Magisk (which is now supported) but haven't looked into it.
    • I know it has been asked few times already, but now that Android 12 has been released are you confident it will be possible to have support for hardware acceleration soon? Would make a big difference to have a steady 1080p/60fps
    I'm pretty confident it will work eventually. Soon(™) is also a relative term.

Short term goal is to get some proof of concept that stateful H.264 V4L2 dec/enc can work on Android on Pi 4. Just made some minor progress with v4l2_codec2 couple of days ago and got the dec/enc codec2 component to even do something in the first place. Not sure if the current issues I'm having are due to memory allocation or the codec component negotiating with the kernel driver. There's also still some hardcoded buffer sizes, etc that depend on the video resolution you're trying to dec/enc. Only real hardware that I'm aware that just recently has this working at least to some extent is dragonboard and John Stultz has tweeted some updates on the matter so check those out if you're interested.

Sorry if this wasn't the news you were looking for but things like this take time.
    Short term goal is to get some proof of concept that stateful H.264 V4L2 dec/enc can work on Android on Pi 4.
    And that didn't even take too long. \o/ But yes, H.264 V4L2 hardware decoding can work on Android on the Pi 4!

Something still getting messed up somewhere in the pipeline so the colors are not correct and there's a green tint on the bottom half of the playback.
    https://www.dropbox.com/s/hlvcv23ejfpinn5/VID_20211108_194739.mp4?dl=0
    New build. Added optional Linux 5.10 kernel add-on to test a lot of WIP stuff.

-add option to show virtual volume down, volume up, and power keys on navigation bar (requires reboot)
    -add option for old TCP-based ADB over network
    -show IP address and port for ADB/SSH/VNC options
    -update to TWRP 3.6.0_11-0-KonstaKANG
    -update to Mesa 21.3.0
    -update to Linux 5.4.161 kernel and patch known vulnerabilities (CVE-xxxx-xxxx, and more)
    -Android security patch level: 5 November 2021 (merged)

Linux 5.10 kernel: (optional add-on)
    -various KMS driver improvements (DSI panel support, etc)
    -support for Pi camera modules using libcamera, preview & photos work - camcorder doesn’t (thanks to Roman Stratiienko)
    -option to test currently very WIP H.264 hardware video decoding using v4l2_codec2 (Settings -> System -> Advanced settings -> Hardware video decoding)
    -HDMI audio is not supported! (see issue #4651 & issue #4654)
    -new Raspberry Pi Android kernel bring-up based on AOSP android12-5.10-lts
    -update to Linux 5.10.81 kernel and patch known vulnerabilities (CVE-xxxx-xxxx, and more)