• Introducing XDA Computing: Discussion zones for Hardware, Software, and more!    Check it out!

[Dev] [root] Introducing AppBox: Move your apps to Cloud - Like Dropbox but for Apps

Search This thread

glaks

Jan 8, 2012
Hi there,

I've been working this project quite sometime. Its Rooted App. With this you can move apps to remote cloud. Note this is safe. Since this app won't touch user data like email/photo etc. It moves only the app binary (apk file). This apk file is what you download from Play Store.

At high-level this is how it works:
1) You install the app from Play Store. (For example - Mekorama -its around 5MB)
2) Now with the help of AppBox you can move this app to Cloud. 5MB Internal storage is freed-up.
3) From now onwards, the app will be available only from Cloud over network.

Here you can view the screencast of it:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KpmVVDBpsCE

It's available under private-beta testing, If you have Rooted device, internet connection and want to test/check it - Send me your email id.

In future, if needed, depending on requirement - later we plan to add moving data (files & folders) to cloud. There exists Android Instant apps, but I'm not quite sure how it works & whether its available for all existing apps. If you have comments or feedback - please let me know. thanks!

Update2: (Jan-29th-2017)
Its currently under closed-beta with 'Lonely Root' G+ Group. Please check
https://plus.google.com/111876109796223933828/posts/QxJVSwxhqyM?sfc=false

Update3: (Mar7-2017)
Tested with versions 4.4 and 5.1.
Guide: http://giis.co.in/appbox_guide.pdf

Last edited:

glaks

Jan 8, 2012
thanks guys, I'll include yours ids and update you soon - I'm fixing one bug - right now-. @PalmCentro Sorry, If this thread violates XDA rules, please move it appropriate sub-forums.

glaks

Jan 8, 2012
Can you send me the app?
my email is :
[email protected]

[email protected]

Skickat från min ONEPLUS A3003 via Tapatalk

It sounds really great. I would like to test this app, please [email protected]

Sent from my VFD 600 using XDA-Developers Legacy app

this sounds amazing i'd love to try it. my gmail is [email protected]

Hey thanks all for the responses and support for this app. The app available under beta-testing via this group:
If you prefer not to join group, please wait for few more days - I may make it as open-beta testing.

To be honest, if we didn't get proof that this works on at-least 3 or 4 model of Rooted device with beta-testing, this will never reach general public! Please read the steps below and drop me message/email with issues. Thank you.

APPBOX (ROOT APP):

I tested only with Moto-E 1st & 2nd Gen rooted using TWRP. At this stage, I highly recommend not to trust
this app for critical data.(Beware: These app may get lost!). Use not-critical small apps (~10MB) to move Cloud.
You need to have at-least 128kbps Internet speed.

Usage steps:
Step 0) If SELinux enable, adjust its permission first.
Step 1) Open the app and grant Su permissions.
Step 2) Login via Gmail account
Step 3) Now you have 3 tabs, Goto 'Settings' -> Click 'Config' -> Now check 'Status'
Step 4) Once Status is 'connected' , Move apps to 'Cloud'.
Step 5) From now onwards, the app will run from Cloud.
Step 6) If you reboot the device. The app won't appear on Launcher you need to Open the app -> Goto Settings -> Click 'Config' -> Check 'Status' -> Do perform 'Refresh'. It will take few seconds to restart the device. Then your cloud app will be available for use.

If you find issues, please let me know steps, logfile along with your device model and OS version. thanks.

Last edited:
Reactions: LilAnt530

LilAnt530

Sep 15, 2015
Woah California
www.doubleu.com
Hey thanks all for the responses and support for this app. The app available under beta-testing via this group:
If you prefer not to join group, please wait for few more days - I may make it as open-beta testing.

To be honest, if we didn't get proof that this works on at-least 3 or 4 model of Rooted device with beta-testing, this will never reach general public! Please read the steps below and drop me message/email with issues. Thank you.

APPBOX (ROOT APP):

I tested only with Moto-E 1st & 2nd Gen rooted using TWRP. At this stage, I highly recommend not to trust
this app for critical data.(Beware: These app may get lost!). Use not-critical small apps (~10MB) to move Cloud.
You need to have at-least 128kbps Internet speed.

Usage steps:
Step 0) If SELinux enable, adjust its permission first.
Step 1) Open the app and grant Su permissions.
Step 2) Login via Gmail account
Step 3) Now you have 3 tabs, Goto 'Settings' -> Click 'Config' -> Now check 'Status'
Step 4) Once Status is 'connected' , Move apps to 'Cloud'.
Step 5) From now onwards, the app will run from Cloud.
Step 6) If you reboot the device. The app won't appear on Launcher you need to Open the app -> Goto Settings -> Click 'Config' -> Check 'Status' -> Do perform 'Refresh'. It will take few seconds to restart the device. Then your cloud app will be available for use.

If you find issues, please let me know steps, logfile along with your device model and OS version. thanks.

Hey bro this is amazing!!!!!! I joined up with the google+ community also as there seem to be plenty goodies in there. Also saw your other piece of art on SD storage and FS setup dude its like you're reading my mind haha!

Just wanted to say great work before i check this out, ill let ya know If i come across a problem!

Reactions: glaks

glaks

Jan 8, 2012
Hey bro this is amazing!!!!!! I joined up with the google+ community also as there seem to be plenty goodies in there. Also saw your other piece of art on SD storage and FS setup dude its like you're reading my mind haha!
Just wanted to say great work before i check this out, ill let ya know If i come across a problem!

Thanks, Great to know we have similar projects thoughts :) Sure give it a try and drop me mail/message if you encounter issues.

glaks

Jan 8, 2012
Can't get it to connect. It just tells me to reboot
LilAnt530 also reported similar issue. If you run 'ps | grep appbox' can you see appbox daemon(/system/xbin/ab/library/armeabi/appbox) running? If not, please reboot the device and simply open the app. Without going to settings you can re-check ps command again. If it shows up, go ahead with settings.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Hi there,

I've been working this project quite sometime. Its Rooted App. With this you can move apps to remote cloud. Note this is safe. Since this app won't touch user data like email/photo etc. It moves only the app binary (apk file). This apk file is what you download from Play Store.

At high-level this is how it works:
    1) You install the app from Play Store. (For example - Mekorama -its around 5MB)
    2) Now with the help of AppBox you can move this app to Cloud. 5MB Internal storage is freed-up.
    3) From now onwards, the app will be available only from Cloud over network.

Here you can view the screencast of it:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KpmVVDBpsCE

It's available under private-beta testing, If you have Rooted device, internet connection and want to test/check it - Send me your email id.

In future, if needed, depending on requirement - later we plan to add moving data (files & folders) to cloud. There exists Android Instant apps, but I'm not quite sure how it works & whether its available for all existing apps. If you have comments or feedback - please let me know. thanks!

Update2: (Jan-29th-2017)
    Its currently under closed-beta with 'Lonely Root' G+ Group. Please check

Update3: (Mar7-2017)
    Tested with versions 4.4 and 5.1.
    Guide: http://giis.co.in/appbox_guide.pdf
    Thanks for the details. Reg magisk, I'll look into magisk after app the gets little more stable.
    Yeah. TWRT is recovery. Magisk is more like a framework (also nothing related to xposed) that make it possible to run system depending pieces o code (like appbox for instance) without writing to /system partition (thus not triggering security check of apps that only works on untouched devices, bank apps for instance).

To let appbox compatible with mobiles running magisk you have to understand how magisk works and support the development on top of it.

In simple words that's the point.

And.... Seems that magisk (or something similar to it) is the future on all Android 7+ that we'd like to runs system powered apps simultaneously with security checking apps.
    Quick update: will release the first general version by week, with addition cloud feature :)
    The whole idea of Magisk is not to touch /system
    That's the concept of systemless.
    https://forum.xda-developers.com/apps/magisk

Probably that's the root cause of the problem with Link2Cloud. Maybe the wiki and other threads on the link above can help on finding the correct approach when Magisk/systemless su is present.