• Introducing XDA Computing: Discussion zones for Hardware, Software, and more!    Check it out!

[Development and Testing][COMPLETE] Android 11 on Huawei Honor 6x.

Search This thread

Venkata Lochan Nune

Apr 19, 2021
India
Lenovo A7000
Honor 6X
UPDATE : An Android 11 ROM (Fluid OS) has been successfully tested and a new thread was opened. Feel free to use this thread in future if you're working on a different android 11 ROM.

This thread is dedicated for the development and discussions on different android 11 ROMs and GSI's that work on our device.
Already tested ones : (need fixes and any help is appreciated)
> @phhusson 's android 11 builds (treble experimentations, v308)
Issues :
Works fine on first boot but reboot/subsequent boots are causing bootloops. only fix found is that it is requiring a factory reset with stock recovery on every boot.
Procedure followed :
  • Boot to recovery from stock emui 8 / any custom one that was installed on emui 8.
  • Factory reset with twrp by typing "yes".
  • push system image with adb to device after extracting it with 7zip from .xz file.
  • Flash system image.
  • Flash stock recovery.
  • Boot to stock recovery and perform factory reset and wipe cache (in a random order, many times for satisfaction 🤣).
  • Choose reboot and wait.
Fixes tried :
> Booting fix from @Hami_Do from this thread. This didn't fix the issue but as a side effect, the device stopped booting.
Conclusion : This is not the right patch for the issue that was encountered.
> Waiting for others to try out different ROMs/GSI's and inform(post in this thread).
Builds that can be tried :
# @DarkJoker360 's builds.
# Other GSI's
# Other ones that you know which might work.
*This thread will be updated with every fix that worked, procedures, ROMs/GSI's and patches used whether worked or not so that development will be easy.
Thanks to @Djiban for the idea of starting a development thread for accelerating the development.

***Please try out every rom you could (if your willing to) and use different patches and post your observations in this thread so that the development will be active.***
Feel free to give out your suggestions about different patches that can be tried.

Last edited:
Reactions: Hami_Do

Djiban

Aug 22, 2014
Saint Remy les chevreuse
Hello. As some users of the Honor 6x managed to install @DarkJoker360 AOSP 10 for P8lite, until july 2020 version (later release didn't boot). I tried to compil every succesfull tricky install process of this rom on another devices than the P8 lite. And as @DarkJoker360 released an AOSP 11 for P8 Lite, maybe this compilation of install steps could make it work on our Honor 6x. Below are the conclusion of my reseach, surely some steps are not mandatory:
- Upgrade to EMUI (Warning for last stock firmware version, for P8 light for example: I recommend .360 firmware or .400. Newer firmwares with newer security patches may refure to boot due to some Huawei changes for avoiding modding)
- Remove the saved fingerprints and Google Accounts just in case

- Download the TWRP recovery from pretoriano80 (https://mega.nz/#!LLhBXSzY!3runNNoW9z1tOHSu-heIUhyy-4u8XHvc8rZMsn547so ou https://eu.dl.twrp.me/prague/)
[Sinon from @Dil3mm4 (https://forum.xda-developers.com/p8...lopment/unofficial-twrp-3-2-1-0-oreo-t3773970) or use this recovery https://drive.google.com/file/d/1MnFBplsp3nZ3b0BiJ764cV67kHXeRzL4/view ou https://sourceforge.net/projects/hi...WRP/twrp-3.4.0.0-v1-hi6250-emui8.img/download]
- fastboot flash recovery_ramdisk recovery.img

- TWRP-flash fstab.hi6250b.zip (https://sourceforge.net/projects/darkjoker360-developements/files/Huawei/fstab.hi6250b.zip/download)
- Wipe and Format Data>yes then reboot. You should reboot into ugly looking stock rom.

- In settings>security>more you should see Encrypt phone that means storage is decrypted.
- Enable debug and confirm via adb and boot into TWRP

- go to TWRP -> Wipe -> Advanced Wipe, and do a full wipe (system, data, cache, dalvik/art cache), Don’t Format Data again because most probably you'll lose Internal Storage
- extract img from AOSP 11 main file
- TWRP-Flash system.img : TWRP -> Install -> Install Image (OR reboot to bootloader and "fastboot flash system drag and drop <drag system.img here>")
- Resize the system partition: press "Wipe" Then choose "Advanced Wipe". After that select/check "System" box and then press on "Repair or Change File System" and then you will see down "Resize File System", press on it and done ur System has been resized. (DO NOT FORMAT!), u need to resize the system partition, until see the used space ~17xxmb and free ~18xx mb

- Install NikGapps core with SetupWizard add-on
- Install NFC_fix.zip
[ NON !!! - MUST flash Magisk Phh 19.3]
- (Required) Install prague patch

- After installing all things you will need to install stock recovery and wipe cache and try to do factory reset(i tried to but i got error massage)
- after flashing the patch go back to stock oreo recovery which is available on the emui 8 folder you downloaded earlier (huawei update extractor ?)

- do factory reset and wipe cache, after that load to bootloader again
- finally flash huaweitwrp.img https://drive.google.com/file/d/1-iErvJefoFri7HKNEU8uSnYo8kmIyVd9/view
- reboot into that twrp
- chooose advances; fix encryption
- Reboot and wait, then you can access internal memory

- After first boot, you need to, format data in erecovery

Unfortunatly, I have no time at the moment for Honor 6x, but if some of you want to comment/try/discuss about these steps...

Last edited:

Venkata Lochan Nune

Apr 19, 2021
India
Lenovo A7000
Honor 6X
The problem I faced was also mentioned in developers.android.com (power cycle one).

Is there any fix for this?

Screenshot_20210601-141649.png

Djiban

Aug 22, 2014
Saint Remy les chevreuse
1) when in the process should I flash fstab.hi6250.zip according to you ?

2)you wrote:
  • Boot to recovery from stock emui 8 / any custom one that was installed on emui 8.
the factory reset can be done with either stoc or TWRP recovery, there is a contradiction here.

3) do you use this .xz file: system-roar-arm64-ab-vanilla.img.xz

4) witch stock recovery to flash and where to find it? ( in the xz file ?)

I'll check your complete guide to install AOSP 10 to be sure!

Last edited:

Djiban

Aug 22, 2014
Saint Remy les chevreuse
I don't actually know about that. Maybe before installing the system image and if the rom again bootloops after rebooting, flashing it again..?
see my last post, I did edit with more questions when you did this answer.

for darkjoker's rom fstab.hi6250b.zip is flashed just after flashing the very first TWRP recovery (see post #4) , I'll give it a try like that.

I'm waiting for your answers 2 3 4 from my last post

Venkata Lochan Nune

Apr 19, 2021
India
Lenovo A7000
Honor 6X
1) when in the process should I flash fstab.hi6250.zip according to you ?

2)you wrote:
the factory reset can be done with either stoc or TWRP recovery, there is a contradiction here.

3) do you use this .xz file: system-roar-arm64-ab-vanilla.img.xz

4) witch stock recovery to flash and where to find it? ( in the xz file ?)

I'll check your complete guide to install AOSP 10 to be sure!
2) I meant to boot to TWRP from stock emui 8 rom or AOSP 10 which I've posted a guide on or any other builds.
It in more simpler terms means to boot to TWRP from any of the roms you are currently using.

3) I used the a-only one not ab. Honor 6x supports a-only versions and not ab. ab is for devices launched with Android 9 or later.

4)I attached the stock recovery in the AOSP 10 post #1. It is the stock recovery which we will find in EMUI 8 update.zip file.

Additional : you can use 7zip to extract xz file.

Did I make myself clear?

Djiban

Aug 22, 2014
Saint Remy les chevreuse
2) I meant to boot to TWRP from stock emui 8 rom or AOSP 10 which I've posted a guide on or any other builds.
It in more simpler terms means to boot to TWRP from any of the roms you are currently using.

3) I used the a-only one not ab. Honor 6x supports a-only versions and not ab. ab is for devices launched with Android 9 or later.

4)I attached the stock recovery in the AOSP 10 post #1. It is the stock recovery which we will find in EMUI 8 update.zip file.

Additional : you can use 7zip to extract xz file.

Did I make myself clear?
2) do you think a factory reset in the stock recovery (if TWRP recovery is not installed) will not work as well? I think so.
In fact to flash fstab.hi6250b.zip, you havce to have TWRP recovery. This means that this rom cannot be install to a full stock EMUI, yiou have to install TWRP recovery first

3) ok

4) ok, sorry

i,ll give a try today I hope

5) do you also recommend those steps at the begining as for AOSP 10:
Format the data partition {Wipe > Format data > type "yes"}

In TWRP, choose wipe > advanced wipe > select system, data, cache and DALVIK and format them.

6) Can,'t we flash img and recovery though adb, or only in TWRP recovery {Install > Install Image > Select > Choose system image > Swipe➡} {Install > Install Image > Select > Choose recovery image > Swipe➡}

6) no open gapps for android 11!! should we stay vanilla, or do you think there will be a simple package to flash afterwards, when vanilla will be running ?

Last edited:

Venkata Lochan Nune

Apr 19, 2021
India
Lenovo A7000
Honor 6X
2) do you think a factory reset in the stock recovery (if TWRP recovery is not installed) will not work as well? I think so.
In fact to flash fstab.hi6250b.zip, you havce to have TWRP recovery. This means that this rom cannot be install to a full stock EMUI, yiou have to install TWRP recovery first

3) ok

4) ok, sorry

i,ll give a try today I hope

5) do you also recommend those steps as for AOSP 10:
Format the data partition {Wipe > Format data > type "yes"}
In TWRP, choose wipe > advanced wipe > select system, data, cache and DALVIK and format them.

6) no open gapps for android 11, should we stay vanilla, or do you think there will be a simple package to flash afterwards ?
2) yeah, except the recovery I think every other partition being stock is better.

5) yes

6) you can directly try the gapps arm64 a only version here and OpenGapps android 11 is under testing and is also available at sourceforge. But better try the gapps IMG itself.

Hami_Do

Aug 24, 2013

Djiban

Aug 22, 2014
Saint Remy les chevreuse
OK, Did try install to install phh AOSP 11 with the full process below ,from a clean EMUI 8 . Result : device is in bootloop.

What Should I change? From where to restart (do I have to go back to EMUI 8 , or I can restart the below process with change, from there ?)

Note that stock recovery factory reset (even low level factory reset, that occured after several bootloops) did not work at all, stoped after couple of second.

- Connect your usb debugging enabled Honor 6X (with EMUI 8 or custom rom installed over EMUI8) to a PC with adb & fastboot

- in the Adb directory of the PC, download:
https://forum.xda-developers.com/attachments/twrp-img.5326857/
https://sourceforge.net/projects/darkjoker360-developements/files/Huawei/fstab.hi6250b.zip/download
https://forum.xda-developers.com/attachments/stock_recovery_ramdisk-img.5321325
system-roar-arm-aonly-vanilla.img extracted with 7zip from

- in adb check if the device is connected with "adb devices"

- in adb , "adb reboot bootloader"

- in adb, check if the device is connected with "fastboot devices"

- in fastboot, "fastboot flash recovery_ramdisk TWRP.img"

- in fastboot, "fastboot reboot"

- after reboot completed, "adb reboot recovery"

- in adb, "adb push -p fstab.hi6250b.zip /sdcard/"

- in TWRP recovery, flash fstab.hi6250b.zip

- in TWRP recovery, Format the data partition {Wipe > Format data > type "yes"}

- in TWRP recovery, wipe > advanced wipe > select system, data, cache and DALVIK and format them.

- in TWRP recovery, factory reset

- in adb, "adb push -p system-roar-arm-aonly-vanilla.img /sdcard/"

- in TWRP Recovery Flash system-roar-arm-aonly-vanilla.img {Install > Install Image > Select > Choose system image > Swipe➡}

- in TWRP recovery, flash fstab.hi6250.zip (just to be sure)

- in adb, "adb push -p STOCK_RECOVERY_RAMDISK.img /sdcard/"

- In TWRP Recovery Flash STOCK_RECOVERY_RAMDISK.img {Install > Install Image > Select > Choose recovery image > Swipe➡}

- Disconnect honor 6X from PC, and in TWRP reboot to stock recovery

- in Stock recovery, wipe cache and factory reset (even if error)

- in Stock recovery, reboot and wait.

Djiban

Aug 22, 2014
Saint Remy les chevreuse
Ok tried ton install AOSP 11 without any fstab.hi6250b.zip flashing. Still bootloop! It seems my device is lacking an EMUI8 part, and not yours!

note that each time:

- when I'm final rebooting in recovery from TWRP, it says "no OS installed, sure you wish to reboot?"

- stock recovery factory reset stops at 7%

@Venkata Lochan Nune do you have this 2 errors too ?

Djiban

Aug 22, 2014
Saint Remy les chevreuse
Found my error, I was flashing the ARM and not the ARM64 system .img !!!!

First boot in AOSP 11 succeded.

I even tried the gapps img, but google setup wizard loops.

As I did flash fstab.hi6250.zip just after TWRP recovery in this last install, I' did checked if AOSP 11 survives the second boot:

gapps img did

vanilla img did

I think you can either change the status of this thread, or open a new one. Wa have an usable android 11 for Honor 6X. The exact process I did follw is quoted at the end of this post.

Still to do:

- test and bug search (let me know what should I try)

- find a nanogapps package to install

-find out how to proceed for system updates

thx for all @Venkata Lochan Nune

Process used to install:

- Connect your usb debugging enabled Honor 6X (with EMUI 8 or custom rom installed over EMUI8) to a PC with adb & fastboot

- in the Adb directory of the PC, download:
https://sourceforge.net/projects/darkjoker360-developements/files/Huawei/fstab.hi6250b.zip/download
system-roar-arm64-aonly-vanilla.img extracted with 7zip from https://github.com/phhusson/treble_...d/v308/system-roar-arm64-aonly-vanilla.img.xz

- in TWRP recovery, wipe > advanced wipe > select system, data, cache and DALVIK and format them.

- in adb, "adb push -p system-roar-arm64-aonly-vanilla.img /sdcard/"

- in TWRP Recovery Flash system-roar-arm64-aonly-vanilla.img {Install > Install Image > Select > Choose system image > Swipe➡}

- in adb, "adb push -p STOCK_RECOVERY_RAMDISK.img /sdcard/"

- in TWRP Recovery Flash STOCK_RECOVERY_RAMDISK.img {Install > Install Image > Select > Choose recovery image > Swipe➡}

- Disconnect honor 6X from PC, and in TWRP reboot to recovery

Attachments

• about phone.jpg
    about phone.jpg
    4.1 MB · Views: 22

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    @Djiban

I need your help to test out the same process I've done in post #1 for AOSP 11 but this time along with flashing fstab.hi6250.zip. @Hami_Do suggested this. But I'm not having a spare device to test it out. Please do it when you have some free time.
    Join https://t.me/hi6250group telegram group, there check /notes and find #a11-installation-guide
    i heartly appreciate your effort on Honor 6x. Recently i heard that there is not much difference between android 10 and android 11. its only my suggestion that should you work on android 12 because android 12 brought big difference against its older version. In my view, if you start working android 12 on honor 6x than your thread survive for long term. if you continue on android 11 then android 11 feel stale when the android 12 hightened us its popularity. lastly i am complete noob on these sort of thing. so , if i make some mistake please forgive me.
    let's offer a stable android 11 first. then have a try on 12.

there is some new features and tricks in 12 that might be hard to work natively on 6x I'm afraid
    UPDATE : An Android 11 ROM (Fluid OS) has been successfully tested and a new thread was opened. Feel free to use this thread in future if you're working on a different android 11 ROM.

This thread is dedicated for the development and discussions on different android 11 ROMs and GSI's that work on our device.
    Already tested ones : (need fixes and any help is appreciated)
    > @phhusson 's android 11 builds (treble experimentations, v308)
    Issues :
    Works fine on first boot but reboot/subsequent boots are causing bootloops. only fix found is that it is requiring a factory reset with stock recovery on every boot.
    Procedure followed :
    • push system image with adb to device after extracting it with 7zip from .xz file.
    • Flash system image.
    • Flash stock recovery.
    • Boot to stock recovery and perform factory reset and wipe cache (in a random order, many times for satisfaction 🤣).
    • Choose reboot and wait.
    Fixes tried :
    > Booting fix from @Hami_Do from this thread. This didn't fix the issue but as a side effect, the device stopped booting.
    Conclusion : This is not the right patch for the issue that was encountered.
    > Waiting for others to try out different ROMs/GSI's and inform(post in this thread).
    Builds that can be tried :
    # @DarkJoker360 's builds.
    # Other GSI's
    # Other ones that you know which might work.
    *This thread will be updated with every fix that worked, procedures, ROMs/GSI's and patches used whether worked or not so that development will be easy.
    Thanks to @Djiban for the idea of starting a development thread for accelerating the development.

***Please try out every rom you could (if your willing to) and use different patches and post your observations in this thread so that the development will be active.***
    Feel free to give out your suggestions about different patches that can be tried.
    in fact using a micro SD card make a more short tutorial:

- on a micro SD card, download:
    system-roar-arm64-aonly-vanilla.img extracted with 7zip from
    - insert the micro SD card in your usb debugging enabled Honor 6X (with EMUI 8 or custom rom installed over EMUI8), and connect it to a PC with adb & fastboot

- disconnect the honor 6x from the PC

- in TWRP Recovery Flash system-roar-arm64-aonly-vanilla.img {Install > Install Image > Select > Choose system image > Swipe➡}

- in TWRP Recovery Flash STOCK_RECOVERY_RAMDISK.img {Install > Install Image > Select > Choose recovery image > Swipe➡}

- in TWRP reboot to recovery

already dowloaded the nano test ones. Install it if a few hours hopefully, and then try to use the device as a 2nd daily one