• XDA Forums have been migrated to XenForo. We are aware of several issues including missing threads, logins not working, and more. To discuss, use this thread.
  • If you are experiencing issues logging in, we moved to a new and more secure software and older account passwords were not able to be migrated. We recommend trying to reset your password, then contacting us if there are issues.

[Development] Android Wear for the gear S2

GOIGIG

Dec 16, 2009
Phoenix
I know there is no Android Development section to this device, I personally love tizen, but who wouldn't want to see AW on this watch.

That being said the Gear S2 is using a Qualcom S4 play Cpu dual core 1.2ghz, I have been doing a lot of research and I may not be a developer, but I want to do what I can to see if it's possible. I have been on the forums and talking to many people in person about this and I have a few leads. I personally need people who can test and possibly help me get a better understanding of what I can do. I believe the hardware should be capable of running Android but I only have a few ideas/limited time to try them. I am looking for the recourses and or people to help me get this project started.
It's a proof of concept, I understand functionality will be lost, and if you want to tell me it's not worth it, or something I've already been told. Please kindly do not post. I am interested in general conversation about it, in a positive way. Unless you are saying something particularly for the mutual benefit/genuine curiosity/or an interest in the topic. I understand this will take up to a year to complete and I will likely create a different thread when the time comes. Thank you for reading and your help is appreciated.

Sincerely,
GOIGIG

macia10

Nov 25, 2010
Łódź
I know there is no Android Development section to this device, I personally love tizen, but who wouldn't want to see AW on this watch.

That being said the Gear S2 is using a Qualcom S4 play Cpu dual core 1.2ghz, I have been doing a lot of research and I may not be a developer, but I want to do what I can to see if it's possible. I have been on the forums and talking to many people in person about this and I have a few leads. I personally need people who can test and possibly help me get a better understanding of what I can do. I believe the hardware should be capable of running Android but I only have a few ideas/limited time to try them. I am looking for the recourses and or people to help me get this project started.
It's a proof of concept, I understand functionality will be lost, and if you want to tell me it's not worth it, or something I've already been told. Please kindly do not post. I am interested in general conversation about it, in a positive way. Unless you are saying something particularly for the mutual benefit/genuine curiosity/or an interest in the topic. I understand this will take up to a year to complete and I will likely create a different thread when the time comes. Thank you for reading and your help is appreciated.

Sincerely,
GOIGIG
It would be great. Its a great watch but tizen stops me from buying. If it had android on it it would be already mine :D

Sent from my Xperia Z using Tapatalk 2

Reactions: Guntert

GOIGIG

Dec 16, 2009
Phoenix
It would be great. Its a great watch but tizen stops me from buying. If it had android on it it would be already mine :D

Sent from my Xperia Z using Tapatalk 2
I own it, and I love tizen, it's Immaculate. But it lacks development and has a poor application management system. I would love to see AW on it. I have a few days off so in researching as much as I can

droidnew

Jul 24, 2010
Valdosta GA

Sincerely,
GOIGIG
I would love to try it on the S2. I ran AW on my Gear 2 Neo and it was great! I'll test if you get that far....

Silberpfeil3110

Dec 23, 2007
Vienna
I don't see how this is helpful: the Tizen OS is one of the best features of the device. I agree with the lack of development though, we should instead see how Android Wear apps could be ported easily
And indeed it shouldn't be that complicated. Tizen and Android evolved from a very similar development tree. As far as my first experiences of Tizen development brought me, the app structure is not that different.

The idea to run AW on the GS2 might practically be not that complicated, though the AW core is full of bloat if you compare it to Tizen (which mostly is caused by Google's kingdom ^^

In average my watch lasts for 60-72 hours. That is caused by the OS. I will guarantee running AW will reduce it to maximum the half.

Nevertheless I would offer my Tizen support if anyone can join with AW experience. :)

EDIT:
Only the 3G version uses the Qualcomm processor. All other versions use the Exynos 3250. ROM development on this processor will be a lot more tricky.

Last edited:
Reactions: Jotalex and GOIGIG

partyhardmonks

Jan 2, 2008
Think you're mistaken tizen always been on Samsung gear as Samsung likes having control of everything for some stupid reason. They would never give that up. Android wear has way better app selection. If first gear had android running you know how many people would of bought it? They don't sync with android devices for one S2 id first one to give up that control.

lorvar

Nov 28, 2010
Think you're mistaken tizen always been on Samsung gear as Samsung likes having control of everything for some stupid reason. They would never give that up. Android wear has way better app selection. If first gear had android running you know how many people would of bought it? They don't sync with android devices for one S2 id first one to give up that control.
He's not mistaken. My first Gear had Android on it and you could update to Tizen.

nericksx

Jan 8, 2016
Portland
I don't see how this is helpful: the Tizen OS is one of the best features of the device. I agree with the lack of development though, we should instead see how Android Wear apps could be ported easily
I agree. Tizen is great and I thought it was required to make use of the rotating bezel. I'd rather have AW apps ported.

Reactions: GOIGIG

jaime4272

Jul 26, 2008
Earth
I hope this works out I would love to try android ware cos it has more apps. Tizen maybe good for the watch but it lacks the Support from Samsung by creating more apps.

Guntert

May 5, 2011
Stockton, Ca
I'm game for anything as long as I can use Samsung pay.. I bought it mainly for that.... hate caring my phone everywhere. I bought the gs2 4g T-Mobile.

Sent from my SM-T800 using Tapatalk

SavageMind1

Mar 16, 2016
Tizen Vs AW

I like the idea of AW on the GS2 if is ported well. I love my GS2 but Int to use it like my Garmin Fortrex GPS. I want the option to read lat/long, MGRS, or UTM. The built in accelerometers and compass could be utilized for inertial navigation giving the GPS a break and improving battery life and accuracy. So far everything I have found is hot garbage and mostly related to fitness or road navigation instead of cross country navigation. Since there is such a Tizen resistance for development my only recourse is to pray for AW.

Our Apps
Get our official app! (coming soon)
The best way to access XDA on your phone
Nav Gestures
Add swipe gestures to any Android
One Handed Mode
Eases uses one hand with your phone