[Development] Android Wear for the gear S2

Search This thread

GOIGIG

Dec 16, 2009
Phoenix
I know there is no Android Development section to this device, I personally love tizen, but who wouldn't want to see AW on this watch.

That being said the Gear S2 is using a Qualcom S4 play Cpu dual core 1.2ghz, I have been doing a lot of research and I may not be a developer, but I want to do what I can to see if it's possible. I have been on the forums and talking to many people in person about this and I have a few leads. I personally need people who can test and possibly help me get a better understanding of what I can do. I believe the hardware should be capable of running Android but I only have a few ideas/limited time to try them. I am looking for the recourses and or people to help me get this project started.
It's a proof of concept, I understand functionality will be lost, and if you want to tell me it's not worth it, or something I've already been told. Please kindly do not post. I am interested in general conversation about it, in a positive way. Unless you are saying something particularly for the mutual benefit/genuine curiosity/or an interest in the topic. I understand this will take up to a year to complete and I will likely create a different thread when the time comes. Thank you for reading and your help is appreciated.

Sincerely,
GOIGIG

macia10

Nov 25, 2010
Łódź
I know there is no Android Development section to this device, I personally love tizen, but who wouldn't want to see AW on this watch.

That being said the Gear S2 is using a Qualcom S4 play Cpu dual core 1.2ghz, I have been doing a lot of research and I may not be a developer, but I want to do what I can to see if it's possible. I have been on the forums and talking to many people in person about this and I have a few leads. I personally need people who can test and possibly help me get a better understanding of what I can do. I believe the hardware should be capable of running Android but I only have a few ideas/limited time to try them. I am looking for the recourses and or people to help me get this project started.
It's a proof of concept, I understand functionality will be lost, and if you want to tell me it's not worth it, or something I've already been told. Please kindly do not post. I am interested in general conversation about it, in a positive way. Unless you are saying something particularly for the mutual benefit/genuine curiosity/or an interest in the topic. I understand this will take up to a year to complete and I will likely create a different thread when the time comes. Thank you for reading and your help is appreciated.

Sincerely,
GOIGIG

It would be great. Its a great watch but tizen stops me from buying. If it had android on it it would be already mine :D

Sent from my Xperia Z using Tapatalk 2

Reactions: Guntert

GOIGIG

Dec 16, 2009
Phoenix
It would be great. Its a great watch but tizen stops me from buying. If it had android on it it would be already mine :D

Sent from my Xperia Z using Tapatalk 2
I own it, and I love tizen, it's Immaculate. But it lacks development and has a poor application management system. I would love to see AW on it. I have a few days off so in researching as much as I can

GOIGIG

Dec 16, 2009
Phoenix
c453d64ad6b695c84cf78d309cf97602.jpg

Sent from my SM-N920T using Tapatalk

Reactions: bigchrizzieboy

droidnew

Jul 24, 2010
Valdosta GA
Microsoft Surface Duo 2

Sincerely,
GOIGIG
I would love to try it on the S2. I ran AW on my Gear 2 Neo and it was great! I'll test if you get that far....

Silberpfeil3110

Dec 23, 2007
Vienna
I don't see how this is helpful: the Tizen OS is one of the best features of the device. I agree with the lack of development though, we should instead see how Android Wear apps could be ported easily
And indeed it shouldn't be that complicated. Tizen and Android evolved from a very similar development tree. As far as my first experiences of Tizen development brought me, the app structure is not that different.

The idea to run AW on the GS2 might practically be not that complicated, though the AW core is full of bloat if you compare it to Tizen (which mostly is caused by Google's kingdom ^^

In average my watch lasts for 60-72 hours. That is caused by the OS. I will guarantee running AW will reduce it to maximum the half.

Nevertheless I would offer my Tizen support if anyone can join with AW experience. :)

EDIT:
Only the 3G version uses the Qualcomm processor. All other versions use the Exynos 3250. ROM development on this processor will be a lot more tricky.

Last edited:
Reactions: Jotalex and GOIGIG

partyhardmonks

Jan 2, 2008
Think you're mistaken tizen always been on Samsung gear as Samsung likes having control of everything for some stupid reason. They would never give that up. Android wear has way better app selection. If first gear had android running you know how many people would of bought it? They don't sync with android devices for one S2 id first one to give up that control.

lorvar

Nov 28, 2010
Think you're mistaken tizen always been on Samsung gear as Samsung likes having control of everything for some stupid reason. They would never give that up. Android wear has way better app selection. If first gear had android running you know how many people would of bought it? They don't sync with android devices for one S2 id first one to give up that control.

He's not mistaken. My first Gear had Android on it and you could update to Tizen.

jaime4272

Jul 26, 2008
Earth
I hope this works out I would love to try android ware cos it has more apps. Tizen maybe good for the watch but it lacks the Support from Samsung by creating more apps.

Reactions: GOIGIG

Guntert

May 5, 2011
Stockton, Ca
I'm game for anything as long as I can use Samsung pay.. I bought it mainly for that.... hate caring my phone everywhere. I bought the gs2 4g T-Mobile.

Sent from my SM-T800 using Tapatalk

SavageMind1

Mar 16, 2016
Tizen Vs AW

I like the idea of AW on the GS2 if is ported well. I love my GS2 but Int to use it like my Garmin Fortrex GPS. I want the option to read lat/long, MGRS, or UTM. The built in accelerometers and compass could be utilized for inertial navigation giving the GPS a break and improving battery life and accuracy. So far everything I have found is hot garbage and mostly related to fitness or road navigation instead of cross country navigation. Since there is such a Tizen resistance for development my only recourse is to pray for AW.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Classic Gear S2.

SO, After researching and getting my life together these last 30 or so minutes I have come to the conclusion MAYBE their is hope for us classic users. Ill begin the process of downloading the Gear 2's* androidwear port and try the root process they have in there threads! Hopefully I can gain root and begin porting but it should boot mainly do to the fact we have the exactly same processors. So wish me luck and if I make process I will surely update everyone and if I can really get something after downloading the source of there device I will make another thread! :)

UPDATE: So I am no professional and any collaboration would help but I think I found how I am going to initiate a root exploit and anyone with any knowledge and ability in WEB APP, and maybe would like to find a way/app that does not include the CSP security measure as much would be appreciated or maybe if you or anyone has another suggestion for gaining root as i have never had to find an exploit, I have only ever built and ported.

UPDATE 2: Just noticed DEP(data execution prevention) Is NOT enabled in Tizen so that seems like a fair try and gain. So we should be able to activate Shellshock on boot, But I've never done this for a watch and certainly not Tizen! Wish me luck, any help would be amazing!

UPDATE 3: SO I talked to a great developer who informed me the route to take and it's a long road. But he has some of it done and maybe reading what he has and the more or less will help me. But I know where to start and I will attempt that today.

UPDATE 4: Kernel is going GREAT with the help I got from a certain amazing developer! Now until I find a root exploit I cannot test the kernel, But it seems EXTREMLY promising!!

Sincerely,
    GOIGIG
    Just got back from vacation, I'll look into the above method, might have a breakthrough!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G920A using XDA-Developers mobile app
    Good bye and enjoy whatever you end up with. I like my gear S2 classic

Sent from my SM-T377P using XDA-Developers mobile app
    Oh, surprice... :D

Today I was drunken enough to flash EQJ2 OXA to my halfdead SM-R732... with success. :cool:

Tested on other Notebook with Windows 8.1

Code:
    <ID:0/001> 192.168.49.1
    <OSM> Enter CS for MD5..
    <OSM> Check MD5.. Do not unplug the cable..
    <OSM> Please wait..
    <OSM> Checking MD5 finished Sucessfully..
    <OSM> Leave CS..
    <OSM> Enter CS for MD5..
    <OSM> Please wait..
    <OSM> Leave CS..
    <OSM> Enter CS for MD5..
    <OSM> Please wait..
    <OSM> Leave CS..
    <ID:0/001> Odin engine v(ID:1.0000)..
    <ID:0/001> File analysis..
    <ID:0/001> SetupConnection..
    <ID:0/001> Initialzation..
    <ID:0/001> Set PIT file..
    <ID:0/001> DO NOT TURN OFF TARGET!!
    <ID:0/001> Get PIT for mapping..
    <ID:0/001> Get PIT Transmission
    <ID:0/001> Firmware update start..
    <ID:0/001> SingleDownload.
    <ID:0/001> zImage
    <ID:0/001> NAND Write Start!! 
    <ID:0/001> zImage-recovery
    <ID:0/001> param.bin
    <ID:0/001> modules.img
    <ID:0/001> sboot.bin
    <ID:0/001> ramdisk-recovery.img
    <ID:0/001> ramdisk.img
    <ID:0/001> user.img
    <ID:0/001> system-data.img
    <ID:0/001> rootfs.img
    <ID:0/001> csc.img
    <ID:0/001> RQT_CLOSE !!
    <ID:0/001> RES OK !!
    <ID:0/001> Remain Port ....  0 
    <ID:0/001> Removed!!
    <OSM> All threads completed. (succeed 1 / failed 0)

It was faster... 9 minutes needed... :good: :cool:

Before on my older Notebook with Windows Vista... :eek:

Anyway... I can do some stupid tests...
    1 of it is to install:
    TizenSecKeystringW-20160202.zip
    :D

Best Regards

Edit 1.

Code:
    sdb install signed_org.tizen.tizenseckeystringW-2.2.2-160202-arm.tpk
    pulled signed_org.tizen.tizenseckeystringW-2.2.2-160202-arm.tpk 100%         66KB
    1 file(s) pulled. 0 file(s) skipped.
    signed_org.tizen.tizenseckeystringW-2.2.2-160202-arm.tpk   193 KB/s (68267 bytes in 0.343s)
    path is /opt/usr/apps/tmp/signed_org.tizen.tizenseckeystringW-2.2.2-160202-arm.tpk
    __return_cb req_id[21640002] pkg_type[tpk] pkgid[org.tizen.tizenseckeystring] key[start] val[update]
    __return_cb req_id[21640002] pkg_type[tpk] pkgid[org.tizen.tizenseckeystring] key[install_percent] val[30]
    __return_cb req_id[21640002] pkg_type[tpk] pkgid[org.tizen.tizenseckeystring] key[error] val[34] error message: Certificate is expired or not yet valid. Update your certificate or device date
    __return_cb req_id[21640002] pkg_type[tpk] pkgid[org.tizen.tizenseckeystring] key[end] val[fail]
    processing result : CERTIFICATE_EXPIRED [34] failed
    spend time for pkgcmd is [5167]ms

Need to check something, as i started Gear S2 with tapping trick instead f.&%$ing Gear Manager... :rolleyes:

Edit 2.
    Code:
    sh-3.2$ date --set="26 Feb 2016 03:02:00"
    date: cannot set date: Operation not permitted
    Fri Feb 26 03:02:00 KST 2016

sh-3.2$ date  --rfc-2822
    Wed, 18 Apr 2018 07:46:15 +0900

I hate it without ROOT... :D :rolleyes: