Development Q&A - Ask Developmental Questions Here!

mateorod

Inactive Recognized Developer
Nov 16, 2011
New Orleans
www.gigmasters.com
So due to some unexpected changes in CM7.2 final I am downloading the source for Gingerbread right now.

Do I have to flash 7.2 in order to pull the proprietary files, or can I pull them from CM9 again?

I would think that CM9's would be fine. But since I don't intend to flash the resulting zip, just make some patches from it, I thought I would ask.

Thanks.

Update: Looks like pulling the proprietary files from CM9 worked. Or at least it looks that way now...

Last edited:

meteorrock

Took a dump on the github ICS nook color branch.

Guys, I did some work on the github. I don't think its right, it looks like a mess. Its not as tidy as the other developers. Can someone give me some tips? Or is it ok?

I am just going through solving merge conflicts and have a ton of loose files on my github page here. I will wait a day and see if its ok with you guys before continuing.

OR can the other developers just bundle it up and use it? Here is my link on the github. https://github.com/meteorrock/android_device_bn_encore

Git will rename the files to the right extensions? Or do I have to rename them myself?

Thanks.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Update June 21st, 2012. Ok guys I will keep on going as I am going. Did some research and MOST of the time the github will fetch you your file names as it goes by content only. http://stackoverflow.com/questions/2641146/handling-file-renames-in-git Sauce here.

Going to go ahead and start naming my files though to pick up good habits. Might make it easier. I noticed other developers do this.

I will debug this ICS branch really good so it can go beta for you guys. :)

Update June 23, 2012. I have debugged 180 commits. Been really careful with my resolves. If anything goes wrong with recent pulls on ICS you are going to have to let me know. Hopefully this will help bring ICS back on track for you guys. I am not adding any new features or anything ported, I am just debugging this build through my diff. Just like how the unix wizards use to do.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Sorry about my outburst. One of my friends told me its because most here except two or three people know how to use git properly. I forgot that others do not like to code much.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I will continue to keep debugging the main line. Let me know if anything goes wrong. I am not too sure if these small patches get submitted automatically to the main line for the nook color linux branch or if I got to push my whole side-branch again for submission. I will research this a bit more to make sure.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Update June 25th 2012. I have sent a pull request to fattire on the ICS remote branch I have been debugging. I have close to half of the mainline ICS build debugged. Wish me luck guys :)

Update: June 27th 2012. I was told it was not good enough for submission. Too many commits. He wants it down to just a couple.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Update : June 30th, 2012. I just figured out how buildbots work. I will let them debug that build for me, which is what is probably already going on with eyeballers builds. Duh. I least I learned something new yesterday.

Last edited:

Hephaestus_

Jul 22, 2012
Hi. I was wondering if I could overclock cm10 more than 1000mhz, which it is already set at. I tried using nook tweaks, but nook tweaks does not support the kernel I'm using. The kernel I'm using is 3.0.8+. Thanks.

meteorrock

Hey guys. How do I add more encore branches to my local branches on my github page? Do I just send a pull request to merge it to <fat tire>? Right now the "Head" of my branches on the encore linux branches only goes up to ICS 3.0. Thanks.

Do I use this git command here to overwrite to include the latest Jelly bean branches into the git bash then re-pull the whole encore branches over again from <fat tire> ? git reset --hard HEAD git pull

Or is this the right way ? git fetch --all git reset --hard origin/master

Thanks for helping.

Update Aug. 25 2012. Some kind anon from here pointed the way to an online school website to learn how to use git, I am looking at this website right here to help get me up and going. It is some kind of course school, going to start taking a look into it. Here is the link for anyone else that might be interested. http://www.codeschool.com/courses/git-real

I also got a thread down in cyanogenMod for anyone wanting to look into coding and learning the git and the github for helping improve the linux kernels here too. http://forum.cyanogenmod.com/topic/50994-follow-along-with-me-trying-to-learn-how-to-code/

Last edited:

Tiezane

Jan 30, 2011
Raleigh, NC
Distcc?

I don't know if anyone else here has multiple linux boxen running, I have a hodge-podge of equipment myself, I'm running a P4 with Ubuntu 12 x86, a Dual Core laptop running 10.something, and I have an AMD Sempron 2GHz running Gentoo. Has anyone tried setting up and compiling using distcc? wondering how well it world work with that setup with the common tools that are out there right now. Thoughts?

Reactions: meteorrock

meteorrock

I don't know if anyone else here has multiple linux boxen running, I have a hodge-podge of equipment myself, I'm running a P4 with Ubuntu 12 x86, a Dual Core laptop running 10.something, and I have an AMD Sempron 2GHz running Gentoo. Has anyone tried setting up and compiling using distcc? wondering how well it world work with that setup with the common tools that are out there right now. Thoughts?
Thank you developer. I have been looking for a "compiler farm" to automate my kernel builds. I am running windows with cygwin and will see if I can bootstrap that in.

I think most of the developers here are not even aware of what a "compiler farm" is. Never heard it mentioned until you name dropped that app, and I lurked up in this forum for a year. That or they are withholding that information. Which would not be surprising. Most compiler farms I looked into were outdated. Noticed most of android tools on-line are developed towards the Java Framework on top of the kernel base.

~~~~~~~~~~

Not sure on this but the developers are using what is called an "andbot" for their builds in here, not sure if it uses cloud service, servers or not. It does not mention it so. I think they are building on individual servers. Here is the link. https://github.com/jyio/andbot

Last edited:

Tiezane

Jan 30, 2011
Raleigh, NC
Basically, yeah, it would be my own little compile farm in my house, just to speed up my own building. I found an article that talks about how to setup distcc, and basically you static link it to cc, so it gets called instead. Then the host system handles all the Precompiling and distribution of tasks to the other systems.

http://m.linuxjournal.com/article/9814

Does anyone have more experience with this? I think I'm going to try to give it a shot this weekend and see what happens...

Sent from my Sega Master System via Carrier Pigeon.

Niendertal

Mar 9, 2008
Lisbon
www.youtube.com
Android Project - Searching for a Developer that knows how to create APPs

Hi Developers,
I would like to know if there's anyone interested in application development for Android Pads.

The project consists in creating or adapting(if exists) two main applications to control time usage and password protect the devices.

The applications must run in Android OS and as to be compatible with this Pads:
  • Amazon Kindle Fire
  • Amazon 7" Kindle Fire HD, 8.9" Kindle Fire HD, Kindle Fire 2
  • BN Nook Simple Touch
  • Samsung Galaxy Tab
  • And other Android Pads

Please contact me if you have any interest or questions and yes it's well payed. ;)

Best Regards to all of you,

Daniel Almeida - [email protected]
Owner and Director PC-ART

{davros}

Feb 12, 2010
Worcester MA
www.droidconcepts.com

Speeddymon

Jan 17, 2010
hmm ok so using this ...

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showpost.php?p=26719324&postcount=184

and this method to flash it with CWM

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showpost.php?p=26719324&postcount=184

it flashed and boots up then when it starts it says

Reboot required

your nookcolor has encountered a problem that requires a system restart.
if this problem persists please contact coustomer service.

nook will reboot and same message pops up every time....

any ideas ?
Did you factory reset with CWM? It likely just needs to be factory reset with the default recovery image. Taking it back to full stock should have restored the B&N recovery image also, so if you still have CWM, then you'll need to get the default recovery image back as well. Once you do that, then it will factory reset on its own if the device fails to boot 8 times in a row.

If you did go back to full stock including the recovery, then you can force it to fail to boot by powering it off completely (hold power for 10+ seconds) while the system is in the middle of booting. Do that 8 times and it'll factory reset. If it still isn't working properly, then something else is wrong and you may want to try putting the stock OS onto an SD card. There's a thread for that as well.

Speeddymon

Jan 17, 2010
i didint do recovery CWM is still there i factory reset threw it but same results. so i need to flash the B&N stock recovery?
Yes. CWM is designed to format the data partition how cyanogenmod and other custom roms like for it to be formatted. The Nook recovery will get it back the way it belongs.

Do you recall if you ever resized the EMMC? If you did, then you will need to find the thread that has the walkthrough to get it back to the default EMMC size of 5gb.

{davros}

Feb 12, 2010
Worcester MA
www.droidconcepts.com
Yes. CWM is designed to format the data partition how cyanogenmod and other custom roms like for it to be formatted. The Nook recovery will get it back the way it belongs.

Do you recall if you ever resized the EMMC? If you did, then you will need to find the thread that has the walkthrough to get it back to the default EMMC size of 5gb.
i do not remember it was so long ago. hmm ok i need to find the stock recovery then

dosclark

Jan 1, 2012
Need Help

I was wondering if any one could help me with an issue I have struggled with for awhile now. My nook was running fine a few years ago then it just stopped boot up fully. Now anytime a flash a new rom it just boots back to CWM. Not sure how to fix this issue. Any input would be appreciated.

polymath257

Oct 11, 2012
Sycamore, IL
I was wondering if any one could help me with an issue I have struggled with for awhile now. My nook was running fine a few years ago then it just stopped boot up fully. Now anytime a flash a new rom it just boots back to CWM. Not sure how to fix this issue. Any input would be appreciated.

Have you held the n key down while booting? That should give you an option of booting into either 'normal' or 'recovery'. If it doesn't what doe sit say?