Device doesn power on after pwr off. on power on vibrates 3 times & orange LED flash

Search This thread

santet

Sep 10, 2009
Accra
Samsung Galaxy S21 Ultra
Device doesn power on after pwr off. on power on vibrates 3 times & orange LED flash

ok. here goes.
On rebooting my phone last night it doesnt come back on. It vibrates 3 times and the LED flashes orange.
The only way it comes back on is if i take out the battery for a while and then power it on again.

here is a chronology of what happens.

1. reboot or power down
  2. devices powers off but doesnt restart. vibrates 3 times and the LED flashes orange.
  3. pull out the battery and SDCARD and wait a minute.
  4. After this I can now boot into CM7
  5. Reboot or power off to restart. same thing happens again
  6. this happens everytime i power down the device

things i have noticed

1. on plugging it into my PC it recognises my device as a qualcomm_cdma_technologies msm desire and tries to install drivers for it.
  2. this is the first time i have seen this. My device is GSM based and i am on tmobile UK.
  3. Device can never power back on immediately from power off. just vibrates 3 times, LED flashes. Only comes back when i pull battery and SD and wait a few seconds before powering it back on

What i have tried but they all dont solve it
  1. flashing a new cwm recovery. i am able to flash a new one from rom manager but doesnt solve the problem. currently on Rom manager 4.2.0.2 and CWM 3.0.2.6
  2. formatting my SDCARD through ROM Manager.
  3. doing a full wipe and reflashing stable CM7.
  4. all of these completed successfully with no errors

What i can do successfully

1. i can boot into bootloader and recovery from commandprompt or using the power+volume down combination. doesnt always power on because of the no boot (start) problem .
  2. i can do "adb devices" and successfully see my device as HT0****** in the list of devices
  3. On the terminal app, on typing "su" it gains root permission successfully.
  4. i can succesfully access my SDCARD using astro and also using mount usb storage in recovery.

device information

HTC DEsire hd.
CM7.0.3 stable, previously on nightly CM_ace_full 83
ROM manager version 4.2.0.2
CWM 3.0.2.6
Radio 26.09.04.11_M2
hdboot-0.85.2007 (PD9810000)
ACE PVT ENG S-OFF
USBdebugging always on

please let me know if any further information is needed and how to get it.

I really need some help. I have trawled the forums and i am starting to believe that i have a partially bricked device or a usb brick. I havent seen any real solutions or any post with a problem like mine so i want to be sure that that is the issue before trying the fixes there. Is there any thread for fixing a Desire HD USB brick, because all the ones i have seen do not have a definite fix.

Andy

Retired Forum Moderator
Jan 21, 2008
UK
Samsung Galaxy S21 Ultra
Hi,
I think you maybe close to hardware failure. I would perform a full backup of apps & data and restore a HTC RUU (1.32.405.6). Then if your problem still persists send it away for repair.

Reactions: santet

santet

Sep 10, 2009
Accra
Samsung Galaxy S21 Ultra
Hi,
I think you maybe close to hardware failure. I would perform a full backup of apps & data and restore a HTC RUU (1.32.405.6). Then if your problem still persists send it away for repair.

Thanks andy.
In flashing the HTC RUU. is that the process of removing root?. because i was thinking of removing root and then sending it back. but thought there might be a software fix for it i could try first.

Andy

Retired Forum Moderator
Jan 21, 2008
UK
Samsung Galaxy S21 Ultra
Yes, flashing via RUU will remove root and ENG S-OFF. It will not restore Radio S-ON. It's probably advisable to use jkoljo's Radio S-OFF tool again to restore it and CID:HTC__001.

santet

Sep 10, 2009
Accra
Samsung Galaxy S21 Ultra
Yes, flashing via RUU will remove root and ENG S-OFF. It will not restore Radio S-ON. It's probably advisable to use jkoljo's Radio S-OFF tool again to restore it and CID:HTC__001.

im vey sorry andy. im now so scared of making this worse.

i have found jkoljos post here http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=857537 and i am going to try the instructions there but i do not understand the CID part. because after flashing the ruu i am supposed to do a temp root. id i remember correctly temp rppt reverts back to stock after reboot. or do i have to flash the RUU again.
sorry for the questions. havent had any sleep all night because of this and i am quite scared i will make it worse. i am going to do it now and will let you know.

Doktaphex

Oct 18, 2010
Earth
Samsung Galaxy Tab S6 Lite

i have found jkoljos post here http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=857537 and i am going to try the instructions there but i do not understand the CID part. because after flashing the ruu i am supposed to do a temp root. id i remember correctly temp rppt reverts back to stock after reboot. or do i have to flash the RUU again.
sorry for the questions. havent had any sleep all night because of this and i am quite scared i will make it worse. i am going to do it now and will let you know.

I recently had to send mt phone back to HTC. What I did was flash the RUU, temproot and revert to stock CID (don't know why I didn't do this first) then flash the RUU again just to make absolutely sure that all was well.

Reactions: santet and Andy

santet

Sep 10, 2009
Accra
Samsung Galaxy S21 Ultra
ok. on first try i already have a problem. i downloaded the easy radio tool.
connected my device with usb debugging on. run the application as administrator. clicked on Stock CID (my device is unbranded desire hd) started up, notified as pushing file to sd. reurned with unknown error, probably connection.
i tried the same with Radio S-On. same response.
i am doing this before flashing the new RUU i downloaded which is version RUU_Ace_HTC_WWE_1.32.405.3_Radio_12.28b.60.140e_26.03.02.15_M3_release_155032_signed.zip.

what have i done wrong?

santet

Sep 10, 2009
Accra
Samsung Galaxy S21 Ultra
I have gone through all the steps with no glitches. How do i verify that my device no more has radio S-On and is fully returned to stock enough so as not to voide warranty. I have the stock ROM installed.

I also want to try updating using the recent OTA update and use the device a while to see if the problem returns before returning it to HTC.

Andy

Retired Forum Moderator
Jan 21, 2008
UK
Samsung Galaxy S21 Ultra
If you temp rooted, then ran the Radio S-OFF tool to go back to S-ON and CID: HTC__001 then you are good to go. You are completely stock, do some testing to see if your reboot problem persists.

santet

Sep 10, 2009
Accra
Samsung Galaxy S21 Ultra
If you temp rooted, then ran the Radio S-OFF tool to go back to S-ON and CID: HTC__001 then you are good to go. You are completely stock, do some testing to see if your reboot problem persists.

Funny enough no more problem of being unable to reboot.
I have installed titanium.
i want to update to the latest OTA 2.3 update for the desirehd. do you know if the visioinary root and the the easy radio tool for s-off work after that update which i believe is the latest one.
I will use the device in its stock condition for two mpore days and if i do not have any more issues then im going to install a custon rom once again.
Thanks loads for all the help.

Andy

Retired Forum Moderator
Jan 21, 2008
UK
Samsung Galaxy S21 Ultra
If you upgrade to 2.3 (2.36.405.x) then Visionary+ no longer works, you have to use GingerBreak instead. You can still downgrade to an earlier firmware.

santet

Sep 10, 2009
Accra
Samsung Galaxy S21 Ultra
I tried rooting again using visionary. got the same problem after applying permroot and then using the easy radio tool for S-OFF. After applying permroot it booted fine. But after applying S-OFF and SUperCID it goes back to same error and doesnt boot again. It seems then that it has something to do with the rooting process.
I will post a new thread asking if anyone has been unable to complete the S-OFF and SUPERCID process .

Andy

Retired Forum Moderator
Jan 21, 2008
UK
Samsung Galaxy S21 Ultra
Why did you apply permroot? I said temproot, you don't want to make persistent changes. See if you can undo the permroot, there is a button to do it.

santet

Sep 10, 2009
Accra
Samsung Galaxy S21 Ultra
Why did you apply permroot? I said temproot, you don't want to make persistent changes. See if you can undo the permroot, there is a button to do it.

I did exactly as you said using temproot so as to be able to turn apply S-OFF and the stock CID.
but after i did that and it worked i just tried rooting once again permanently and had the same issue. I have updated to the OTA update and i will use that for a while as when reading the gingerbreak threads people do not seem to trust that it works fine.

Andy

Retired Forum Moderator
Jan 21, 2008
UK
Samsung Galaxy S21 Ultra
I just re-read my last post, sorry if I came across as a d*ck, that was not the intent.

I would remain stock for a few days to see if that has an affect. If rooting is the cause of your issue, I doubt HTC will repair it because it has booting problems once rooted.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.

I recently had to send mt phone back to HTC. What I did was flash the RUU, temproot and revert to stock CID (don't know why I didn't do this first) then flash the RUU again just to make absolutely sure that all was well.
    Hi,
    Yeah I would use the tool to change Radio S-OFF to ON and restore the CID before you run the RUU. You will save yourself a lot of time and effort.
    Don't panic your ok,

It just means you will have to run the RUU first then run Visionary+(r14) to get temp root then run the Radio S-OFF tool.