Question Device is permanently unlocked

Search This thread

tsaxda

May 24, 2011
Moto G Play
I have a moto g play 2021. I just restarted the phone & got a today at the bottom of the screen saying "device is permanently unlocked". I didn't do anything I haven't done before. I simply restarted. It's running Android 11, not rooted. What does that mean

sd_shadow

Recognized Contributor / XDA Welcome Team
Sep 21, 2011
South Dakota
goo.gl
Motorola Droid X
Amazon Fire
I have a moto g play 2021. I just restarted the phone & got a today at the bottom of the screen saying "device is permanently unlocked". I didn't do anything I haven't done before. I simply restarted. It's running Android 11, not rooted. What does that mean
It could be Carrier unlocked, meaning it can be used on other networks.
If the bootloader is unlocked you should see a splash screen every time it boots that the bootloader is unlocked.
Like this
Screenshot 2022-03-09 174245.jpg
Screenshot 2022-03-09 174318.jpg

Reactions: blackhawk

tsaxda

May 24, 2011
Moto G Play
It's not rooted, & it just happened once after rebooting. It hasn't happened before that I'm aware. I didn't get a pop-up like in the picture, just a toast message. I don't know if it's carrier unlocked or not.

Sounds to me like an app set to run on boot would be the cause for that toast message. Do you happen to have the Device Unlock app on your phone? I'm assuming you have phone variant for a specific network/carrier. I know that for T-Mobile's Device Unlock app, there are two options to unlock device: Permanent Unlock, and Temporary Unlock. If you recently met your carrier's requirements for unlocking your device, the actual unlock may have been done automatically on your behalf. ORRRR, someone close to your phone (or maybe it was you if say you're one to take sleeping meds occasionally) tinkered with the app at some point in the past. All speculation at this point on the WHEN or HOW, but the WHY and WHAT all point to that one app.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    It could be Carrier unlocked, meaning it can be used on other networks.
    If the bootloader is unlocked you should see a splash screen every time it boots that the bootloader is unlocked.
    Like this
    Screenshot 2022-03-09 174245.jpg
    Screenshot 2022-03-09 174318.jpg