Device recognized in ADB but not in fastboot

Search This thread

morrowa2

Dec 17, 2007
Mission Viejo
Trying to unlock bootloader on my pixel 2 XL. Using a windows 10 64-bit laptop, usb-c cable that came with the phone, latest drivers and up to date platform tools. Debugging enabled. OEM unlock enabled.

Phone is recognized in ADB just fine. "Adb devices" results in the the device being listed. "ADB reboot bootloader" reboots the phone into fastboot mode just fine. Once in fastboot mode, however, "fastboot devices" yields nothing.

Pulling my hair out here, and not much hair left to pull. I suspect I'm going to have to tinker with the computer's security settings to get the drivers to install correctly. Any thoughts?

Sep 21, 2016
Seattle
I seem to remember the same thing happening when I got mine a couple days ago and unlocked the BL within a few hours of unboxing. I ended up doing the standard unlock followed by unlock critical commands anyway. Worked fine for me.

js042507

Jan 7, 2011
Trying to unlock bootloader on my pixel 2 XL. Using a windows 10 64-bit laptop, usb-c cable that came with the phone, latest drivers and up to date platform tools. Debugging enabled. OEM unlock enabled.

Phone is recognized in ADB just fine. "Adb devices" results in the the device being listed. "ADB reboot bootloader" reboots the phone into fastboot mode just fine. Once in fastboot mode, however, "fastboot devices" yields nothing.

Pulling my hair out here, and not much hair left to pull. I suspect I'm going to have to tinker with the computer's security settings to get the drivers to install correctly. Any thoughts?
Try just turning the phone off and then entering fastboot via volume down and power button. THEN, plus in your phone. Do a 'fastboot devices' and see if it shows up now. In my experience, I got my phone...checked oem unlock and all that...booted into fastboot mode via hard method. And my phone is detected instantly. I did not install any drivers, update platform tools (mine is from like 2012), and even used a third-party USB-C cable. It works every time. Also, I am using the adb and fastboot executables from an older adb minimal set. Probably from like a year or so ago. I don't ever use the SDK ones really anymore.

Reactions: morrowa2

gonzo237

May 16, 2014
OnePlus 7 Pro
Samsung Galaxy S21

I'd check and make sure your adb/fastboot is up to date, or do a reinstall just in case.

morrowa2

Dec 17, 2007
Mission Viejo
Thanks for the suggestions but still not working. Even tried disabling driver signature verification at startup. I'm going to uninstall everything, factory reset the device and start over. Might also try a usb-c to usb-a cable. Any other thoughts?

Update: Nothing worked until I used a usb-c to usb-a cable, then it worked like a charm. Must be a Lenovo thing.

Last edited:

canemaxx

Aug 23, 2012
Wilder,VT
Samsung Galaxy S21 Ultra
Thanks for the suggestions but still not working. Even tried disabling driver signature verification at startup. I'm going to uninstall everything, factory reset the device and start over. Might also try a usb-c to usb-a cable. Any other thoughts?

Update: Nothing worked until I used a usb-c to usb-a cable, then it worked like a charm. Must be a Lenovo thing.
I can't even get adb to recognize my device ....I have used multiple cables I'm about to return this phone

Colchiro

Dec 17, 2010
I had no luck except about once in 20 it'd work. Then swapped to a different USB-C port on my laptop, then it worked. FWIW, I tried USB-C to USB-C and USB-C --> USB-A (adapter) to USB-C and it didn't make a difference.

tluley51

Mar 9, 2011
Try just turning the phone off and then entering fastboot via volume down and power button. THEN, plus in your phone. Do a 'fastboot devices' and see if it shows up now. In my experience, I got my phone...checked oem unlock and all that...booted into fastboot mode via hard method. And my phone is detected instantly. I did not install any drivers, update platform tools (mine is from like 2012), and even used a third-party USB-C cable. It works every time. Also, I am using the adb and fastboot executables from an older adb minimal set. Probably from like a year or so ago. I don't ever use the SDK ones really anymore.

I did this and when in the bootloader screen, I am able to display fastboot devices, but when I go into recovery mode and try and flash something via ADB (the November patch since I am not pulling it OTA), it seems to start but it just sits at "Verifying update package" on the phone and "loading: 'taimen-ota-******.zip'" and never progresses. Almost like the PC and the phone are not talking properly?

js042507

Jan 7, 2011
I did this and when in the bootloader screen, I am able to display fastboot devices, but when I go into recovery mode and try and flash something via ADB (the November patch since I am not pulling it OTA), it seems to start but it just sits at "Verifying update package" on the phone and "loading: 'taimen-ota-******.zip'" and never progresses. Almost like the PC and the phone are not talking properly?
Like others have stated, maybe try a USB-C to regular USB-A cable. I have only used that type of cable, but didn't realize that the actual cable that comes with the phone might be a problem. I never used it to test that theory though.

tluley51

Mar 9, 2011
Like others have stated, maybe try a USB-C to regular USB-A cable. I have only used that type of cable, but didn't realize that the actual cable that comes with the phone might be a problem. I never used it to test that theory though.

Yeah that is all I have ever used. I use a USB A to C Cable Matters cable.

zetret

Aug 8, 2015

For anyone in the future, ensure the that Device Manager is showing the 'Android Composite ADB Interface' driver installed.
Then, just download the latest Platform Tools (from https://developer.android.com/studio/releases/platform-tools), and from inside that folder, open a Powershell prompt, and then 'adb reboot bootloader'. Once you are in the 'fastboot' mode, the 'fastboot devices' command works.

cooltime

Nov 27, 2017
My issue was I needed to replace the drivers for fastboot mode (ADB was fine). There are two drivers, one for each mode.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.

Our Apps
Get our official app!
The best way to access XDA on your phone
Nav Gestures
Add swipe gestures to any Android
One Handed Mode
Eases uses one hand with your phone