• Introducing XDA Computing: Discussion zones for Hardware, Software, and more!    Check it out!
  • Fill out your device list and let everyone know which phones you have!    Edit Your Device Inventory

Devs Need Help - Look if your new phone has 2.1

Status
Not open for further replies.
Search This thread

nindoja

Nov 24, 2009
All,

We have noticed an alarming number of people coming to the IRC channel with "new" phones from Asurion (the insurance company) that have 2.1 OTA and a 1.49 bootloader.

We need to know if new phones from a Verizon store that comes with 2.1 have a 1.49 bootloader or not.

So, if you have a new phone, before rooting please do the following and report your findings:

Reboot your phone and hold down power + volume down. When you are presented with the HBOOT menu, tell me what the version number is at the top (should be 1.47.00 or 1.49.00 or similar).

jonathanphx1

Apr 7, 2010
I got my eris from the verizon store. It was a replacement phone and it had the 1.47 boot loader on it, this as a week ago. Ya it was only in its virgin 1.5 state for as long as it took to drive the phone to my house.:)

goedls

Nov 24, 2008
I just received a Verizon Eris:

This phone shipped with HBOOT 1.49
Baseband 2.42.00.04.12
Build 2.36.605.1CL165907 release-keys

It is a new phone, ordered through our business sales rep.

I am new to this phone (Coming from WimMo land). My guess is that I cannot root the phone. What is likely to happen if i try?

Last edited:

andrew8806

Retired Forum Moderator
Jan 13, 2010
Dallas
I have been rooted since we found root. I leaked on my original phone but Verizon sent me a new phone in the mail because they didnt have any in stock.

HBOOT-1.49.2000 S-OFF
Jan 24 2010

I have never updated the bootloader... unless the root rom updated it..

Last edited:

silverramsrt

Dec 12, 2009
NC
I have been rooted since we found root. I leaked on my original phone but Verizon sent me a new phone in the mail because they didnt have any in stock.

HBOOT-1.49.2000 S-OFF
Jan 24 2010

I have never updated the bootloader... weird... why is 1.49 now? :confused:

the leaked root rom updates the boot loader to HBOOT-1.49.2000 S-OFF, I think, I may be wrong. this is also what I have on my phone

Framework43

Jan 3, 2010
New York City
I just received a Verizon Eris:

This phone shipped with HBOOT 1.49
Baseband 2.42.00.04.12
Build 2.36.605.1CL165907 release-keys

It is a new phone, ordered through our business sales rep.

I am new to this phone (Coming from WimMo land). My guess is that I cannot root the phone. What is likely to happen if i try?

FALSE.
Sorry , goedls, you can't root.

Here's the go down.

Users who ran 1.5 and got the 2.1 OTA DID NOT get a bootloader update, so using the old bootloader, you can go to the root rom which runs .49 S-OFF (Engineering SPL)
Both the leaks and root roms have .49 BUT the root rom has older system information, so installing it from a leak rom which has newer system information, you will not be able to use it to root.
If your phone comes with a new bootloader, chances are, you cannot root.

There is a difference between the bootloaders:
2.1 Root ROM-> .49 S-OFF
2.1 Leaked Roms-> .49

Last edited:

hallstevenson

Feb 7, 2010
Germantown OH
To be honest, I can't believe for a second that VZW is going to unbox all the phones they have in stock to update the software. Of course, if the phone is still on 1.5, it doesn't match what I presume VZW is advertising as features of the Eris (presuming they talk about 2.1 features).

.mak

Mar 17, 2008
FALSE.
Sorry , goedls, you can't root.

Here's the go down.

Users who ran 1.5 and got the 2.1 OTA DID NOT get a bootloader update, so using the old bootloader, you can go to the root rom which runs .49 S-OFF (Engineering SPL)
Both the leaks and root roms have .49 BUT the root rom has older system information, so installing it from a leak rom which has newer system information, you will not be able to use it to root.
If your phone comes with a new bootloader, chances are, you cannot root.

There is a difference between the bootloaders:
2.1 Root ROM-> .49 S-OFF
2.1 Leaked Roms-> .49

Thanks for clearing that up, Framework. My (second/last) Eris has .49 but it's 1.49.2000 (PB00100 XC ENG S-OFF).

My replacement Eris arrived today, Ceritifed Like-New, and is 1.5 w/ HBOOT 1.47.

-mak

Status
Not open for further replies.