DeX "Can't show protected content on your computer."

Search This thread
Trying to watch Netflix on DeX and I keep getting this pop up. The audio comes through but there is no video?

It's working for my when connected to my TV. Haven't tried while connected to a PC. It was wonky at first and kept saying it couldn't connect to Netflix, but it eventually started working like normal. N975U1 with a DeX pad. Netflix actually looked really nice and crisp on the TV. Seems like on my Note 9, it was always a little pixelated.

Reactions: BigMosley

BigMosley

Aug 19, 2011
Samsung Galaxy Z Fold3
It's working for my when connected to my TV. Haven't tried while connected to a PC. It was wonky at first and kept saying it couldn't connect to Netflix, but it eventually started working like normal. N975U1 with a DeX pad. Netflix actually looked really nice and crisp on the TV. Seems like on my Note 9, it was always a little pixelated.

I will try with my TV later. This is my work PC I am trying to connect to and watch Netflix at lunch. Would really suck if I couldn't get it to work, really the only reason I would use DeX.

I will try with my TV later. This is my work PC I am trying to connect to and watch Netflix at lunch. Would really suck if I couldn't get it to work, really the only reason I would use DeX.

I'm not at my office, but I'll check with my work laptop later. Something tells me it has to do with DeX running in a Windows application. Just like Netflix won't work on smart screens like a Google Home, I bet they've disabled DeX on Windows.

I couldn't get it to work on the laptop either. Got the same message about secured content.

I'd try again later though. Netflix on DeX has been wonky AF all day for me. About 9/10 times it says it can't connect to the Netflix server and to try again later. So Netflix may need to update the app.

dr.ketan

Recognized Developer / Recognized Contributor
This happens in two cases
1.Some contents can not mirrored (as notification says, contents are protected), not only with Netflix but many other applications (likely video streaming) can give same message - Solution is root. (No idea if possible on unrooted device)
2.If Netflix plan is for one screen only (Mobile) then also it may show this. - Solution - upgrade plan

Connect to your tv to watch netflix. Get a hdmi to usb c cable.

You didn't read the thread, did you?

1.Some contents can not mirrored (as notification says, contents are protected), not only with Netflix but many other applications (likely video streaming) can give same message - Solution is root. (No idea if possible on unrooted device)
2.If Netflix plan is for one screen only (Mobile) then also it may show this. - Solution - upgrade plan

1. Netflix mirrors just fine to a TV through DeX or just screen mirroring. This only occurred on a PC running DeX.

2. I have the premium plan, which means I can watch it on up to 4 screens at once. I'm already upgraded. I can't upgrade any farther.

But those were good suggestions/ideas.

dr.ketan

Recognized Developer / Recognized Contributor
1. Netflix mirrors just fine to a TV through DeX or just screen mirroring. This only occurred on a PC running DeX.

Yes, but some app have this protection on screen mirror, other than Netflix too
I have two apps that showing same error when playing on screen mirror but works fine after patching it (with root)

Last edited:
Reactions: louforgiveno

torickray

Feb 22, 2010

2. I have the premium plan, which means I can watch it on up to 4 screens at once. I'm already upgraded. I can't upgrade any farther.

I was replying to BigMosley. Didn't expect you to respond to me.

Btw, it doesn't work on dex on windows because it is drm protected.

I was replying to BigMosley. Didn't expect you to respond to me.

Btw, it doesn't work on dex on windows because it is drm protected.

Well, learn to expect the unexpected, I guess, LOL.

The reason I replied to you was because you just repeated what we had already discussed and BigMosely had already said he was specifically looking for a solution for his PC, not his TV. I was assuming you didn't read the thread, because if you had, you would've known that would've likely given a different answer, or none at all.

louforgiveno

Jun 24, 2010
I have two apps that showing same error when playing on screen mirror but works fine after patching it (with root)
How do you go about this? I have root, need to modify Xfinity Go app so i can stream.....gives similar error and is definitely caused by what you are referring to.
Thanks Doc!

Sent from my God Mode 8

anupam05

Apr 9, 2011
Singapore
Hello Sir, along with root do we need cracked version of app also, or only root would work?

My Device: Note 8, I get protected content error when my VPN is connected.

---------- Post added at 12:22 AM ---------- Previous post was at 12:18 AM ----------

How did you patch apps? I get protected content error when VPN is connected.

Root Solution to the protected content issue with DEX

I am attempting to use my banking apps on my DEX and cannot because of the protected content BS. I have a rooted Note 9 N960F. You stated the solution is root. If you have the time, please explain. Thank You. -Nate. :)

Horayken

Nov 4, 2010
Marcos Paz
Hello! In windows you don't have DHCP (High-bandwidth Digital Content Protection). The purpose of HDCP is to protect digital copyrighted content as it travels from a device to your TV, generally through HDMI or DVI connections. HDCP is required to stream Netflix from a device connected to your TV. That's why works on tv via HDMI but no with USB on WIndows.

@Horayken Stated the reason why. Netflix, Disney+, et al, are looking for a secure connection to a display the stream. USB and even certain HDMI connections don't provide that security. It's to keep you from placing an audio/video capture device in the middle to record the stream. I've ran into this issue too. On both my Note 10+ and my Tab S7.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    May be because OEM is lock. If OEM is unblock you must instal another netflix apk.
    https://xdaforums.com/showpost.php?p=79392817&postcount=5
    Trying to watch Netflix on DeX and I keep getting this pop up. The audio comes through but there is no video?

I'm not at my office, but I'll check with my work laptop later. Something tells me it has to do with DeX running in a Windows application. Just like Netflix won't work on smart screens like a Google Home, I bet they've disabled DeX on Windows.

I couldn't get it to work on the laptop either. Got the same message about secured content.

I'd try again later though. Netflix on DeX has been wonky AF all day for me. About 9/10 times it says it can't connect to the Netflix server and to try again later. So Netflix may need to update the app.