• Introducing XDA Computing: Discussion zones for Hardware, Software, and more!    Check it out!

Dex without dock

Search This thread

maxfridbe

Jul 21, 2012
Is it possible to use dex without the official dock. For instance I already have (Samsung Multiport Adapter (EE-PW700BWEGUJ)) this dock for the Samsung windows tablet.

easyguy

Apr 30, 2011
I hope it does so we dont have to spend $150 on top of spending $850 for the phone.

Meanee

Mar 24, 2008
I have a suspicion that DeX is just a much-upgraded version of SideSync. It required an application on your PC to show your phone screen in a window. So my best guess is that DeX dock acts as a client app, like SideSync on your desktop was. So, if that's truly the case, I doubt DeX will work with multi-port adapter.

davkpl

Mar 22, 2009
Dublin
I have a suspicion that DeX is just a much-upgraded version of SideSync. It required an application on your PC to show your phone screen in a window.(...)
Dex doesn't require a PC . You have to connect it directly to display and input devices such a mouse or keyboard. So you are using it instead of PC.

In my opinion this is just a HDMI adapter with separate USB hub, network socket, and cooler. I maybe wrong, but if im right it should be very easy to connect it in PC mode without Dex or with cheap replacement.

Meanee

Mar 24, 2008
Dex doesn't require a PC . You have to connect it directly to display and input devices such a mouse or keyboard. So you are using it instead of PC.

In my opinion this is just a HDMI adapter with separate USB hub, network socket, and cooler. I maybe wrong, but if im right it should be very easy to connect it in PC mode without Dex or with cheap replacement.

This was exactly the point I was trying to make. SideSync required an app on your PC. DeX' idea of replacing your PC will probably require a similar "app" to run on the dock, in order to force a full desktop.

If S8 does support video out through USB-C port, it may be just a simple screen mirroring. Or, who knows, you may get full DeX experience!

CptCrackers

Jul 1, 2007
West Hills, CA
Is it possible to use dex without the official dock. For instance I already have (Samsung Multiport Adapter (EE-PW700BWEGUJ)) this dock for the Samsung windows tablet.

I hope so. the phone puts out displayport over usbc, but the dock dumbs it down to hdmi which IMO was a dumb thing to do. They should have passed through the displayport over usb signal instead. Far more flexible.

Skander1998

May 23, 2012
Doha
Samsung Galaxy Note 3
Samsung Galaxy S7
It's probably going to be a simple part/resistor/chip that lets the phone recognise the dock, will probably see clones and alternative solutions on eBay soon enough.
Can't see the dock serving any actual function that stops you from launching Dex without it.
I could be wrong.

skrubol

Jan 17, 2008
It's probably going to be a simple part/resistor/chip that lets the phone recognise the dock, will probably see clones and alternative solutions on eBay soon enough.
Can't see the dock serving any actual function that stops you from launching Dex without it.
I could be wrong.

Certainly could be some encrypted key or something that makes it more difficult to emulate. Part of the cost of the Dex unit might be for the development of the software for it, even if it is included in every S8.. you need the Dex to unlock it.

khurram87

Apr 14, 2010
So the Galaxy S8 does support USB C HDMI TV out via any HDMI adapter as I have tried.

However, it just mirrors the screen and the DeX experience is no where to be found without actually using the DeX dock!

Taylored

Jun 1, 2010
I plugged my phone into one of these. No desktop.

I am assuming the Dex dock has some firmware which installs on the phone when docked. Someone with a rooted Exynos S8 may be able to pull those files and create an application which would launch into Dex-mode.

Digicrat

Sep 27, 2008
Manufacturers just can't seem to resist the urge to take a standard interface and stick some proprietary something on there to restrict your options.

A few years ago it was chargers (standard mini/micro USB charger, but device refused to charge in anything but that manufacturers approved chargers) - both for phones and even PS3 controllers.

Now it seems to be HDMI adapters/docks. The S8 apparently requires the DeX dock to enter desktop mode, despite that dock being nothing more than a standard USB-C dock beneath the surface., though at least HDMI output without the DeX software still works with it. The Nintendo Switch in comparison only allows HDMI output with the official dock.

I hope somebody comes out with a third-party adapter that works with both . . .one travel adapter to let me play the Switch on the big screen, or use my phone as a pseudo-laptop would be a must-have travel accessory compared to the over-priced single-purpose official docks.

Reactions: galaxys

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Well I just bought a USB-C to HDMI with charging port and USB port, I will try it out once TMO ships my phone.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01IUXA9YK/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o04_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
    I can confirm @khurram87 I get the same, screen mirror and no Dex.
    Manufacturers just can't seem to resist the urge to take a standard interface and stick some proprietary something on there to restrict your options.

A few years ago it was chargers (standard mini/micro USB charger, but device refused to charge in anything but that manufacturers approved chargers) - both for phones and even PS3 controllers.

Now it seems to be HDMI adapters/docks. The S8 apparently requires the DeX dock to enter desktop mode, despite that dock being nothing more than a standard USB-C dock beneath the surface., though at least HDMI output without the DeX software still works with it. The Nintendo Switch in comparison only allows HDMI output with the official dock.

I hope somebody comes out with a third-party adapter that works with both . . .one travel adapter to let me play the Switch on the big screen, or use my phone as a pseudo-laptop would be a must-have travel accessory compared to the over-priced single-purpose official docks.
    I try with an tunewear almighty-dock-c1 (google it) and
    1) screen is mirrored
    2) Can connect usb mouse and keyboard
    3) Ethernet port work (put my s8 in plane mode and go on internet)
    4) Charge the phone

In fact i am always connected like this on my macbookpro at office, I just unconnect my macbook and connect my s8 ;)
    In settings there is an option to switch the the HDMI output mode between Dex and 'screen mirror'. Doesn't​ it affect on the HDMI output without Dex Station? Does this option just confusing as this is just for the type of the Dex output and not the genuine HDMI?
    d156026b7ec4ba00f1dc2846c27843fe.jpg

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

Has anyone tried this yet and confirm it works/doesnt work?

Thanks