• Introducing XDA Computing: Discussion zones for Hardware, Software, and more!    Check it out!
  • Fill out your device list and let everyone know which phones you have!    Edit Your Device Inventory

Dex without dock

Search This thread

alexgarciac

Sep 9, 2014
Is it possible to use dex without the official dock. For instance I already have (Samsung Multiport Adapter (EE-PW700BWEGUJ)) this dock for the Samsung windows tablet.

hi man you just need to root the phone then install notorious kernel, connect cable type c/ hdmi and it will work :good: without dex station

htcmaster

Dec 12, 2007
I just ordered this one . Under $20 and the cheapest I could find
HL-2018-HDMI-Dex-Station-De-Bureau-Extension-De-Charge-Dock-Pour-Samsung-S8-S8-Plus.jpg
Tested, this one does not work. Not even HDMI mirroring.

Reactions: perissatto

khoz_123

Sep 3, 2016
check this out

hi man you just need to root the phone then install notorious kernel, connect cable type c/ hdmi and it will work :good: without dex station

kpali.blogspot.in/2017/10/making-samsung-dex-mode-work-without.html

---------- Post added at 09:29 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:28 PM ----------

Tested, this one does not work. Not even HDMI mirroring.

yes these cheap ones dont work
check this out
http://kpali.blogspot.in/2017/10/making-samsung-dex-mode-work-without.html

kantpredict

Nov 13, 2010
Ricorich 6-in-1 DeX stock

Is it possible to use dex without the official dock. For instance I already have (Samsung Multiport Adapter (EE-PW700BWEGUJ)) this dock for the Samsung windows tablet.

I found that this dock worked on a stock S8 (Exynos):
"RicoRich 6 in 1 USB 3.0, USB C HUB with HDMI Output, SD&Micro SD Card..." (new member so no url)

It was a bit hit-and-miss with detection while the phone was already open; it kept opening the preferred app for the USB then nothing. I found plugging it in and restarting the phone to work most effectively.

nikexv2

Aug 30, 2013
I made the mistake of ordering this as well.
While it does work
Dex does not
I can confirm that this dock is uber garbage, while it does not work with dex, i works sometimes with my nintendo switch (working 5 minutes then it dies and the switch goes to portavle mode)

lbarouf

Apr 16, 2007
Hi, has anybody tried this: https://www.aliexpress.com/item/NS-HDMI-Dock-for-Nintendo-Switch-Type-C-to-HDMI-and-USB-Adapter/32827055033.html?
It says S8 PC mode and it looks absolutely identical to the 35$ one suggested some pages ago.

Mine is branded LESHP, and works fine with Continuum on a 950XL. But the Galaxy S8 only mirrors it. That is on stock Nougat. It looks identical as well to this one and the other one on aliexpress stated to be working on the other post below (or above, depending on your sorting order).

How does one upgrade from nougat to oreo beta today? Beta program is closed no?

GJones734

Dec 6, 2017
I think it can be done.

I think it can be done. First, they are claiming that there is no SideSync, that the S8 is the actual brains of the outfit. Second, there is a modder that has used an old macbook (which I'm not allowed to post) on The Verge.
And third, this is also a thread over at pi-top (which I'm not allowed to post). And finally there is a DeX dock by SMOS for half the cost ($55.99) of the Samsung one on Amazon.

Last edited:

xanderhan

Jan 9, 2018
it works

with cheap usb type c hub to hdmi, type c power, and usb only $20...
related on youtube video

try search this keyword: dex without dock

bmszabo

May 19, 2007
This one works. I have bought it, great dock, much smaller than the official dex, with all functionality of the original. Very happy with it.

Verstuurd vanaf mijn SM-G955F met Tapatalk

langas

Jun 22, 2011
Hello ALL,
I don-t understand why the hack of display DEX window like sidesync in computer is still not done. The mobile is rendering the image through Output HDMI in DEX.
All the people that has a samsung uses sidesync in work. Is the best way to have a window to your pesonal mobile!
The best thing has still not be done:
It is needed to activate DEX while not conected to DEX
Then conect to computer like in SIDESYNC sending the screen to computer in a window.
All the people I know that uses SideSync and DEX matches with me that this will be the best phone ever if this could be done.
Also could be used in virtual reality with Gear...
Come on hackers! Come on Samsung! Unify SideSync DEX and Gear VR!!! Transform informatics!

pyraxiate

Jun 24, 2007
Baltimore
I went with this dock. It let's you actually use the phone in a case. I haven't tested the SD card reader portion yet but the rest works great. 1 USB 3.0, 2 USB 2.0, USB C and HDMI along with a card reader. Couldn't pass it up for the price.

USB C Hub,7 in 1 USB C Adapter Dex Station 3×USB Ports HDMI SD Card Reader Galaxy Note 8/S8/S8+ Huawei Mate 10 MacBook Pro 2016/2017 - Grey https://www.amazon.com/dp/B079HTJSW4/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_WgtLBb4MKHYHZ

vagalarm

Jan 22, 2019
Hi everybody, I bought a Microsoft Display dock HD-500 Continuum (we can find it for cheap now) and plugged my Galaxy S9 (android Pie) to it, the mouse and keyboard are working fine but the screen remains desperately black ... Only the phone display works. The external monitor doesn't work either in HDMI nor in Display Port.

Do you have any idea on what I can do to make it works ?

Thanks !

akostadinov

Jun 5, 2015
After a full workday experiments, This worked for me:
  1. Root phone with TWRP according to this guide
  2. Install latest NOX kernel with TWRP - https://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=3721469

wrt the guide, I'm a little concerned about the downloads. I downloaded TWRP from official web site and samsung drivers from samsung website. TWRP because it was not the latest version. And Samsung because the binaried downloaded from howto link didn't have signature. So I'm a litlle concerned about HOWTO downloads legitimacy. In any case you can download the binaries from a different source for the peace of mind.

This on S8+ Exynos. One issue is that I still can't show onscreen keyboard on the dex display. Only on the phone display. I wonder if that might be affected by kernel. Somehow doubt it. PS I tried notorious kernel too but phone didn't boot with it.

PPS with S9 no special docking station is needed and all dongles work for me.
PPPS after yesterday I hate Samsung for imposing such stupid limitations about doc. And I am using original expensive Samsung USB-C hub. Still I had to go through all this to get it working.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    I can confirm @khurram87 I get the same, screen mirror and no Dex.
    Manufacturers just can't seem to resist the urge to take a standard interface and stick some proprietary something on there to restrict your options.

A few years ago it was chargers (standard mini/micro USB charger, but device refused to charge in anything but that manufacturers approved chargers) - both for phones and even PS3 controllers.

Now it seems to be HDMI adapters/docks. The S8 apparently requires the DeX dock to enter desktop mode, despite that dock being nothing more than a standard USB-C dock beneath the surface., though at least HDMI output without the DeX software still works with it. The Nintendo Switch in comparison only allows HDMI output with the official dock.

I hope somebody comes out with a third-party adapter that works with both . . .one travel adapter to let me play the Switch on the big screen, or use my phone as a pseudo-laptop would be a must-have travel accessory compared to the over-priced single-purpose official docks.
    I try with an tunewear almighty-dock-c1 (google it) and
    1) screen is mirrored
    2) Can connect usb mouse and keyboard
    3) Ethernet port work (put my s8 in plane mode and go on internet)
    4) Charge the phone

In fact i am always connected like this on my macbookpro at office, I just unconnect my macbook and connect my s8 ;)
    In settings there is an option to switch the the HDMI output mode between Dex and 'screen mirror'. Doesn't​ it affect on the HDMI output without Dex Station? Does this option just confusing as this is just for the type of the Dex output and not the genuine HDMI?
    d156026b7ec4ba00f1dc2846c27843fe.jpg

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

Has anyone tried this yet and confirm it works/doesnt work?

Thanks
    Thats exactly what i have done - I am hoping to get delivery this week. :)
    mine took almost three weeks to come !
    it has only one usb port port, but i'm using a bluetooth mouse/keyboard so i dont need a hub ! :)