• Introducing XDA Computing: Discussion zones for Hardware, Software, and more!    Check it out!

DexOnLinux and DexOnChromeOS (No Root)

Search This thread

KMyers

Dec 28, 2006
Miami, Florida
plus.kmyers.me
Screenshot-from-2020-06-07-18-06-36.png

Samsung announced a new feature with the Samsung Galaxy Note 10, the ability to access Samsung Dex on a Windows or MacOS device. This in my opinion was a game changer as it could allow users to use the insane power of their Galaxy Note 10/Note 10+ devices on inexpensive hardware. Samsung released a client for MacOS and Windows but as usual left us ChromeOS/Linux users out in the cold. It turns out that there is a way to hack it together using nothing but open source tools (no Wine). Once I got this working on my Ubuntu Desktop, getting it to work on my Chromebook was trivial (not x64 only with Crostini). You dont even need to have your phone rooted.

What Works
-Keyboard/Mouse
-Shared Clipboard
-Drag and Drop of APK files to install them

What Does Not Work
-Audio does not route to the desktop
-Right Click does not work

Full instructions with screenshots -
https://kmyers.me/blog/android/dexonlinux-dexonchromeos-how-to-no-root/

May 5, 2018
kingston
Awesome endeavour

Your work is highly appreciated. I was planning on buying a note 10+ or 20 then discovered LoD was discontinued. Do you believe your method "could" work on the note 20? Really glad to see this as I was about to buy the note 9 and run it on pie(9). I use Linux primarily and my laptop just died. Having LoD would be awesome when this pandemic clears. Again much appreciation Keith.

Edit: after a reread I'm back to the note 9. Still no LoD.

Last edited:

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Screenshot-from-2020-06-07-18-06-36.png

Samsung announced a new feature with the Samsung Galaxy Note 10, the ability to access Samsung Dex on a Windows or MacOS device. This in my opinion was a game changer as it could allow users to use the insane power of their Galaxy Note 10/Note 10+ devices on inexpensive hardware. Samsung released a client for MacOS and Windows but as usual left us ChromeOS/Linux users out in the cold. It turns out that there is a way to hack it together using nothing but open source tools (no Wine). Once I got this working on my Ubuntu Desktop, getting it to work on my Chromebook was trivial (not x64 only with Crostini). You dont even need to have your phone rooted.

What Works
    -Keyboard/Mouse
    -Shared Clipboard
    -Drag and Drop of APK files to install them

What Does Not Work
    -Audio does not route to the desktop
    -Right Click does not work

Full instructions with screenshots -
    https://kmyers.me/blog/android/dexonlinux-dexonchromeos-how-to-no-root/