• Introducing XDA Computing: Discussion zones for Hardware, Software, and more!    Check it out!

Dial and Home Keys not working. ADVICE PLZ!

Search This thread

WaVeS

Apr 27, 2010
Cincy
Before I get hounded about not reading though the forums, I haven't had any luck finding my exact problem. If you just want to post links for me that'd be awesome too!

I bought a rooted phone off ebay for cheap. In the listing it said that the 'home and back' keys didn't work after user rooted the device. When I got it I went through the steps to root it and put a new rom on it. I tried to put several roms on it. Some failed, others didn't boot, so it's back to default (maybe). Now how did I do that if my home key wasn't working? I found out that the home and back key did work if you hit it enough. Currently the back button works. Dial and home are a no go.

I tried to follow steps on how to get Cyan to work, I didn't have any luck except to update the radio. No I haven't installed any custom SPL.

After doing all this, I tried to put a JF image on it, also a ZXDonut. I wiped and put ZXDonut (I think) NOW I have the problem of the Dial (green) and Home keys not work at all. I haven't been able to get into recovery mode at all.

Is there a quick fix for this? Should I just download the DREAIMG.nbh and boot with camera button? Then start over? Try to un-root it, and start from scratch?

I'm not sure what the best move is here, I also tried to reboot into recovery with the terminal but I kept getting permission errors.

R

r3s-rt

I don't know if I can help with your issue, but....

Type this in terminal to get into recovery:

su
reboot recovery

The su should take away those nasty permissions errors. However, in most recoveries, you need to be able to use your home key. :/

Apr 10, 2010
My G1 has done this a few times with Cyanogenmod. I would just boot into recovery (home would work for that when powered off and not when the phone was on). I would then do a full wipe then reboot. Fixed the problem everytime.

WaVeS

Apr 27, 2010
Cincy
Got into recovery with su † reboot recovery but still can't do anything without the home key. Any other way of doing this?

WaVeS

Apr 27, 2010
Cincy
For some reason I could get the home button to work when I blew cold air into it. Factory Reset, New rom. Works again...

Found a way to do it without factory reset.

For the benefit of anyone else with this problem, here are the full details of how to fix it without a factory reset:

1. Install AnyCut from Android Market
2. Go to the home screen
3. Long press on the wallpaper
4. Tap "Shortcut"
5. Tap "Any Cut"
6. Tap "Activity"
7. Choose "Setup Wizard" from the list of activities
8. Tap "OK"
9. There should now be a Setup Wizard icon on your home screen. Follow the wizard through to completion and the dial / home / hangup hardware keys should now be behaving normally again.
-Random Website

Last edited:

Tylerspilker

Aug 9, 2008
I had this problem when flashing the default htc build before updating to SuperD

what fixed it was wiping, using the old (not de-appified) SuperD, then flashing the new one. It causes your talk, home keys to not work, and when you hold down the power it only gives you a few options instead of the normal 4 or so it gives you normally. Also, it makes your settings refuse to save.

Try holding home when you turn the phone on, and wiping and reflashing the newest Cyanogen or something. Read the instructions on how to do that at www.cyanogenmod.com

Joshua E.

May 1, 2010
I've had this problem several times in the past. Previously the workaround using Anycut would fix the problem. However, after having flashed to CM's 5.07 (Eclair) mod I found that the Setup Wizard didn't function the same any longer (now that you can add multiple gmail accounts) and the fix didn't work this time.

This did, though:

1. Using SUFBS or some other file manager with superuser rights, browse to data/data/com.android.providers.settings/databases, copy the settings.db file found there to /sdcard.

2. Download SQLite Database Browser from sourceforge.net/projects/sqlitebrowser and install.

3. Connect phone to PC, mount sdcard so you can read it from PC (I use "SD Split" so I can read card from PC and phone at the same time, personally).

4. Open SQLite Database Browser, File>Open Database, browse to settings.db file you copied to /sdcard and select it. Click 2nd tab, 'Browse Data'. From 'Table' dropdown menu select 'secure'. Click 'new record'. A new line will be created at the bottom of the table. Double click in the 'name' column of that new line, a box will pop up that says 'edit cell'. Type 'device_provisioned' (without the quotation marks) and click 'apply changes'. Then double click in the 'value' column, enter '1' (no quotes) and click 'apply changes'. File>Save Database.

5. Using SUFBS again, select menu>mount data as RW. Browse to /sdcard and copy the settings.db file you just modified (via longclick>copy), then browse to data/data/com.android.providers.settings, longclick on /databases and choose 'paste', thereby overwriting the settings.db file that's in /databases with the one that you modified using the SQLite Database Browser.

6. Reboot. All should be working now.

Reactions: GreenAsJade

voitoi

Feb 9, 2009
I've had this problem several times in the past. Previously the workaround using Anycut would fix the problem. However, after having flashed to CM's 5.07 (Eclair) mod I found that the Setup Wizard didn't function the same any longer (now that you can add multiple gmail accounts) and the fix didn't work this time.

This did, though:

1. Using SUFBS or some other file manager with superuser rights, browse to data/data/com.android.providers.settings/databases, copy the settings.db file found there to /sdcard.

2. Download SQLite Database Browser from sourceforge.net/projects/sqlitebrowser and install.

3. Connect phone to PC, mount sdcard so you can read it from PC (I use "SD Split" so I can read card from PC and phone at the same time, personally).

4. Open SQLite Database Browser, File>Open Database, browse to settings.db file you copied to /sdcard and select it. Click 2nd tab, 'Browse Data'. From 'Table' dropdown menu select 'secure'. Click 'new record'. A new line will be created at the bottom of the table. Double click in the 'name' column of that new line, a box will pop up that says 'edit cell'. Type 'device_provisioned' (without the quotation marks) and click 'apply changes'. Then double click in the 'value' column, enter '1' (no quotes) and click 'apply changes'. File>Save Database.

5. Using SUFBS again, select menu>mount data as RW. Browse to /sdcard and copy the settings.db file you just modified (via longclick>copy), then browse to data/data/com.android.providers.settings, longclick on /databases and choose 'paste', thereby overwriting the settings.db file that's in /databases with the one that you modified using the SQLite Database Browser.

I've had exactly this same problem, and this worked for me too!
Thanks man, you saved me many hours of stupid work (reflashing, wiping, installing, configuring etc.)!

My configuration: G1
ROM: [ROM][Gingerbread][GRJ22][07/18/2011]COS-DS (Android 2.3.4_r1)
Recovery: RA-dream-v1.7.0
hboot : 1.33.0013d
radio : 2.22.27.08

GreenAsJade

Jan 18, 2012

This did, though:

These instructions are so good it's worth requoting the whole lot!!

Thank you thank you.

FWIW, for those who don't have SUFBS, you can do the mount step from a shell, like this:
Code:
# mount

rootfs on / type rootfs (ro,noatime,nodiratime)
tmpfs on /dev type tmpfs (rw,noatime,nodiratime,mode=755)
devpts on /dev/pts type devpts (rw,noatime,nodiratime,mode=600)
proc on /proc type proc (rw,noatime,nodiratime)
sysfs on /sys type sysfs (rw,noatime,nodiratime)
none on /acct type cgroup (rw,noatime,nodiratime,cpuacct)
tmpfs on /mnt/asec type tmpfs (rw,noatime,nodiratime,mode=755,gid=1000)
tmpfs on /mnt/obb type tmpfs (rw,noatime,nodiratime,mode=755,gid=1000)
none on /dev/cpuctl type cgroup (rw,noatime,nodiratime,cpu)
/dev/block/mtdblock1 on /system type yaffs2 (ro,noatime,nodiratime)
/dev/block/mtdblock9 on /data type yaffs2 (rw,nosuid,nodev,noatime,nodiratime)
/dev/block/mtdblock8 on /cache type yaffs2 (rw,nosuid,nodev,noatime,nodiratime)
tmpfs on /mnt/sdcard/.android_secure type tmpfs (ro,noatime,nodiratime,size=0k,mode=000)

... see how for me it is on mtdblock9

2) remount it read/write:

Code:
# mount -rw -o remount /dev/block/mddblock9 /data
mount -rw -o remount /dev/block/mddblock9 /data
#

You can do this via adb shell, or in a terminal emulator.

Yay, my home button is working again!

GaJ

Last edited:

mrdumost

Feb 5, 2012
I am n00b and need more simple walkthrough

I don't have any bottom button usage with CM7, Zeus, or CatyRom but at least CatyRom has the ICS on-screen buttons (helps some) but I can't really navigate even if I go to the browser (can't hit home or back button).

I don't understand terminal (I saw terminal hub in CM7) but I don't believe CatyRom has a default one under applications.

Please break it down in more simple terms/directions please for the rest of us n00bs. Thanks.

mkz14

Feb 17, 2011
I found this thread by luck in google, looking for a fix for my Motorola RAZR which suffered the following symptoms:

- Home key not working
- Search key not working
- Less options at the menu when shutting down
- Big lag
- 0 Smoothness when rotating

I followed the SQLite DB guide and now works like a charm! This problem happened me already twice and was an absolutely headache since I was going to reflash!

Thank you very much for such an useful guide:)!

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.

This did, though: