Diamond2 Manuals on HTC site!

Search This thread

shuflie

Apr 14, 2006
Belfast
Is it normal for HTC to supply an english manual specifically for a device without GPS? Or does that mean that some english speaking countries are getting something like the Tomtom demo with one city map of your choosing installed?

elmalote

Dec 15, 2007
Why does it say VGA recording only available in some models?
Does this mean the english OS does not have this because of some patent / chip restrictions?

If so I better cancel my order for the english OS and get the danish one.

shuflie

Apr 14, 2006
Belfast
Why does it say VGA recording only available in some models?
Does this mean the english OS does not have this because of some patent / chip restrictions?

If so I better cancel my order for the english OS and get the danish one.

No VGA recording may be intended for the north americian version, that was the reason that there was a dispute over some Qualcomm chips shipping into the US wasn't it?

gkai

Feb 22, 2009
What happens if Qualcomm chips get shipped into the US? Is Qualcomm ment for Europe?

That's why they have two version of their processor/system-on-a-chip:
the MSM7200A, which support VGA encoding at 30 fps
the MSM7201A, which is exactly the same except it does not support VGA encoding at 30fps (I think it is VGA@20FPS, QVGA@30FPS), due to patent problems with some american companies. All devices with 7201A are targetted for selling in the US (although some may end up in europe), while no 7200A device should be sold in the US (although I guess some grey market and private sales may end up bringing 7200A to the US).

TD2 is now exclusively with MSM7200A, so not for US. I guess the version with US 3G which is due later will include 7201A...if Qualcomm has not solved the patent problem since then (unlikely, as their 7200 line is at the end of its life)

elmalote

Dec 15, 2007
That's why they have two version of their processor/system-on-a-chip:
the MSM7200A, which support VGA encoding at 30 fps
the MSM7201A, which is exactly the same except it does not support VGA encoding at 30fps (I think it is VGA@20FPS, QVGA@30FPS), due to patent problems with some american companies. All devices with 7201A are targetted for selling in the US (although some may end up in europe), while no 7200A device should be sold in the US (although I guess some grey market and private sales may end up bringing 7200A to the US).

TD2 is now exclusively with MSM7200A, so not for US. I guess the version with US 3G which is due later will include 7201A...if Qualcomm has not solved the patent problem since then (unlikely, as their 7200 line is at the end of its life)

That means that all TD2 sold now are with VGA 30 FPS as I understand from what you are writing? And later there will be a specific 7201A for the US?
Expansys-usa.com is also selling the 7200 processor version
http://www.expansys-usa.com/d.aspx?i=179176
?

gkai

Feb 22, 2009
That means that all TD2 sold now are with VGA 30 FPS as I understand from what you are writing? And later there will be a specific 7201A for the US?
Expansys-usa.com is also selling the 7200 processor version
http://www.expansys-usa.com/d.aspx?i=179176
?

It should....or maybe HTC has decided to use software limitations to not use the 7200A abilities to record VGA@30FPS, because they figured out that would be sufficient to avoid patent litigation in the US, without having to build 2 different hardware versions with the associated problems in stock management? That would mean that 7201A would not be used anymore, and also that cooked roms (or just installation of non-US roms on US TD2/TP2, but then u have to deal with US radio with roms for non-US radio...) could easily bring video recording performance of US devices up to foreign versions. Anyway, I advise you get a 7200A version (US or foreign), which will have (or will be software upgradable to) good framerates for VGA video recording...

elmalote

Dec 15, 2007
Surely HTC knows that using only software limitations, it would be hacked instantly :D
I got the English OS version, it says processor is Qualcomm 7200A.. I live in Denmark, so I assume I'm getting the European version and not one shipped from the states which has limitations..

gkai

Feb 22, 2009
Surely HTC knows that using only software limitations, it would be hacked instantly :D
As long as it does not bring them patent litigations, they would not care....In fact, I guess they would be all for it (while not giving any support nor warranty for non-official roms), if it means they sell more devices...
I got the English OS version, it says processor is Qualcomm 7200A.. I live in Denmark, so I assume I'm getting the European version and not one shipped from the states which has limitations..
I am almost sure you will have the version with better VGA recording. As no official US models exist yet, no point in crippling the VGA recording at the moment...

sm_allen

Apr 15, 2009
Missing programs

Well reading the manual it appears that HTC has removed the following programs from the Diamond 2

Adobe Reader LE
Voice Recorder
Voice Speed dial
GPRS monitor
Sprite backup
ZIP

Which where all available on the original Diamond. Is there anyway to get the "Adobe Reader LE" some other way?

HTC_GLOW

Dec 26, 2007
KENT
Well reading the manual it appears that HTC has removed the following programs from the Diamond 2

Adobe Reader LE
Voice Recorder
Voice Speed dial
GPRS monitor
Sprite backup
ZIP

Which where all available on the original Diamond. Is there anyway to get the "Adobe Reader LE" some other way?

Enjoy :D
WM-Adobe_PDF_2.5_Diamond.cab
http://rapidshare.com/files/222629809/WM-Adobe_PDF_2.5_Diamond.cab

WM-Foxit PDF -1.4.0901.cab
http://rapidshare.com/files/222630812/WM-Foxit-1.4.0901.cab

st_Infidel

Apr 25, 2009
I wanna buy a topaz ,i live in Asia and intended to move to US ,does Asia topaz's 3G works in US?
does Asian and European topaz different ? (because there is different files for download in htc User Manual for "English (Asia)" and " English" ) :confused:!!!!
what am i supposed to do?

pinola

Apr 25, 2009
is there any way to add

Voice Recorder
Voice Speed dial

back onto the diamond 2 as they seam to be missing?