Question Did anyone notice the huge standby battery drain? Any way to measure what causes it?

Search This thread

d0x360

Mar 11, 2009
I disabled AOD and any unnecessary account sync processes. It's only drained about 2% in standby the last 5 hours, but there are still some things to finish configuring.

Wow... I've never had that little drain in 5 hours..

Hell I usually see like 2% an hour even with the screen off and me asleep! You are quite lucky.

Anyways (OP) download the app called "don't kill my app" from the play store. You will find the info helpful.

Wow... I've never had that little drain in 5 hours..

Hell I usually see like 2% an hour even with the screen off and me asleep! You are quite lucky.

Anyways (OP) download the app called "don't kill my app" from the play store. You will find the info helpful.

Luck is accidental. What you get from 10+ years is experience.

Reactions: paul c

d0x360

Mar 11, 2009
Luck is accidental. What you get from 10+ years is experience.

Well then I guess when you hit 14 years things stop vanishing from your head. I've been using Android (with root/su) since the Summer of 2008. I was a Verizon tester for the HTC G1. Then in Oct of 2008 I gave the phone back (well it was the 3rd revision) and picked up my Dream at a Verizon store at launch. Then in Jan of 2010 I got my Nexus one and so on.

So experience isn't really the issue, the phone and it's garbage Samsung software is.

I think the drain is due to a bug in a racing game telemetry app. I'd just disable it when I'm not using it but I'm helping the dev with it so I have to leave it running.

I'm testing a few apps for developers actually. Clipto being my favorite because it's fantastic but it's likely my fav because I've essentially shaped the design and allot of the functions.

I do have some preloaded things I need to uninstall. No not disable... completely remove (like Bixby) and no I don't have root because I have the snapdragon version...sigh

I was also being a little hyperbolic, on this phone I've had 3% drain over 8 hours while I was asleep and that's with all the battery optimization crap Samsung does disabled.

This is definitely my last Samsung phone. I've had the note 8, 9, 10+ and now this and I just don't understand the love for Samsung that people have.

Their apps are terrible in many ways, they do cool things with hardware but then don't bother to properly use them because of the software.

The best example I can think of on this phone is the exterior screen. Why doesn't it have some options for notifications? Like a blinking dot or even edge lighting that you can setup like aodnotify. Instead the screen turns on then immediately turns off.

I really miss HTC phones. They always felt solid, they ran great because of well balanced hardware. They had good battery life for the time. They were simple to root... I remember rooting and installing recovery on the One M8. Plug it into your PC and click 1 button. Done..

Ok I'm rambling because I'm exhausted, it's 3am... I gotta stop lol.

Reactions: paul c
Well then I guess when you hit 14 years things stop vanishing from your head. I've been using Android (with root/su) since the Summer of 2008. I was a Verizon tester for the HTC G1. Then in Oct of 2008 I gave the phone back (well it was the 3rd revision) and picked up my Dream at a Verizon store at launch. Then in Jan of 2010 I got my Nexus one and so on.

So experience isn't really the issue, the phone and it's garbage Samsung software is.

I think the drain is due to a bug in a racing game telemetry app. I'd just disable it when I'm not using it but I'm helping the dev with it so I have to leave it running.

I'm testing a few apps for developers actually. Clipto being my favorite because it's fantastic but it's likely my fav because I've essentially shaped the design and allot of the functions.

I do have some preloaded things I need to uninstall. No not disable... completely remove (like Bixby) and no I don't have root because I have the snapdragon version...sigh

I was also being a little hyperbolic, on this phone I've had 3% drain over 8 hours while I was asleep and that's with all the battery optimization crap Samsung does disabled.

This is definitely my last Samsung phone. I've had the note 8, 9, 10+ and now this and I just don't understand the love for Samsung that people have.

Their apps are terrible in many ways, they do cool things with hardware but then don't bother to properly use them because of the software.

The best example I can think of on this phone is the exterior screen. Why doesn't it have some options for notifications? Like a blinking dot or even edge lighting that you can setup like aodnotify. Instead the screen turns on then immediately turns off.

I really miss HTC phones. They always felt solid, they ran great because of well balanced hardware. They had good battery life for the time. They were simple to root... I remember rooting and installing recovery on the One M8. Plug it into your PC and click 1 button. Done..

Ok I'm rambling because I'm exhausted, it's 3am... I gotta stop lol.

I guess "10+ years" can easily be confused with about 10 years. It's a lot like rounding 13.5 to 14 for simplicity. "I also had the G1" if that makes it clearer.

I was only saying that having a good understanding of what needs to be changed and why more accurately fits the definition of experience. Call it luck if you must.

Last edited:

d0x360

Mar 11, 2009
I guess "10+ years" can easily be confused with about 10 years, but being Jan 1 makes it hard to call the G1 14 years ago when it's only really 13.

I was only saying that having a good understanding of what needs to be changed and why more accurately fits the definition of experience. Call it luck if you must.
Ok....

I wasn't trying to have a competition with you and yeah I know it was released in October but i had been using it as my daily with a flip phone backup since May...so close enough to 14 years.

I was just rambling from exhaustion. I haven't slept in 58 hours or eaten in about 27 so my thoughts just flowed. I came here for something else and just ended up in this topic because I'm on a flip3 (USA) that's had 12 since early to mid December.

I mean if you wanna have a competition over something we can... I apologize if I didn't properly interpret 10+ as 14... Or 13... But no sleep & a lack of eating does that to people. Pure insanity!

Ok....

I wasn't trying to have a competition with you and yeah I know it was released in October but i had been using it as my daily with a flip phone backup since May...so close enough to 14 years.

I was just rambling from exhaustion. I haven't slept in 58 hours or eaten in about 27 so my thoughts just flowed. I came here for something else and just ended up in this topic because I'm on a flip3 (USA) that's had 12 since early to mid December.

I mean if you wanna have a competition over something we can... I apologize if I didn't properly interpret 10+ as 14... Or 13... But no sleep & a lack of eating does that to people. Pure insanity!

Lack of sleep and food also tends to make people irritable. That could explain the hostility, but doesn't really justify it. I hope whatever the reason is for your situation ends up being worth it.

d0x360

Mar 11, 2009
Lack of sleep and food also tends to make people irritable. That could explain the hostility, but doesn't really justify it. I hope whatever the reason is for your situation ends up being worth it.

First there was no hostility on my end. Please quote what you find hostile. You want a reason for my rambling? Sure why not...

My father died at 66 years old after suffering in the hospital for 5 months and he died right before Christmas.

Also going that long without sleep or food does justify being a little bit edgy. I'm human not a robot. That being said I wasn't hostile whatsoever.

I just said I also have plenty of experience with this kind of stuff. That's the nice way of saying I don't need to be treated like I'm clueless... I was a HTC G1 hardware tester. It doesn't make me king of the world nor did I imply that it did.

MySelf_v1

Oct 27, 2010
Padua
HTC Desire
HTC Wildfire S
I didn't notice any drain overnight. When I went to sleep it was about 97%. Woke up at 94%. It's enough to me.

No WIFI, No DATA, No BT and Energy Saver ON.

Screenshot_20220307-082216_Device care.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    If have AOD on a schedule so it's turned off during sleeping, account syncing I don't have anything that I can turn off and I never did on any previous phone

The first step in improving the battery is to remember that this isn't any other phone. You may want to explore what options are available and what all you have enabled. By default, almost everything is on to show off all the cool new features that make this a Flip 3, not a OnePlus Nord.
    Another good idea is to add anything you won't use, but didn't remove to deep sleeping apps to kill it's ability to run in the background. It's the closest thing to auto start management without rooting.
    Yeah I do have 57 apps there already

I just removed 85 apps/services via adb, let's see how it is tonight and I'll report back tomorrow
    If have AOD on a schedule so it's turned off during sleeping, account syncing I don't have anything that I can turn off and I never did on any previous phone
    How old is your device? You got to give it some time to settle. I had 15% battery drain the first night, after that it went down to 5%.
    I set the phone by the window now where it has consistent 2 bars of reception (instead of mainly 0, sometimes 1 or 2), will check it in a few hours..

Screen off the serial offenders tend to be Google backup Transport, Framework and any cloud apps.
    Try disabling Google play Services at night and see if that helps. You may need to disable Find my Device first as System Administrator if disable is greyed out.
    Disabling play services also kills Gmaps and Playstore which are know hogs. Gmail as well to a lesser extent.

Just checked AccuBattery and it's showing me that System UI is by FAR the biggest battery drain here, but I guess System UI could be loads of things? I know Google Play Services and Maps shows individually from System UI, so I'd doubt it's that.
    Package Disabler borders on malware. There is no reason anyone should still be using it in 2021. It does the same thing as disabling the apps in Settings, which also supports enabling them again. If you perform an uninstall for the user, the app is still installed on the system. If you realize things begin crashing and feel you might have uninstalled something important, simply install it again. Unlike third-party apps that need to be able to run to undo their damage, this only requires functioning adb.

Code:
    adb shell cmd package install-existing <package_name>
    I've been using this one for my last phone and now the flip and really like it: https://forum.xda-developers.com/t/...-5-ultimate-app-manager-debloat-tool.4147837/