Did HUAWEI cheat on the storage type on P10/P10+?

Search This thread

doubleleesg

Apr 8, 2017
P10 claimed to have a 960 SoC that features UFS 2.1 and LPDDR4 , but it was discovered that P10 uses much slower eMMC 5.1 and LPDDR3 instead. This has started a storm on the social media a few days back in China..

HUAWEI has not yet make a explanation about it. However, their public relationship department has started deleting negative comments and disable downloads of the benchmark app in their own app store.

You can test your storage type using: androbench. If you get a result lower than 700MB/s in seq read, you probably are one of the victims.
You can test your RAM type using A1 SD Bench: . If you get a result lower than 15,000MB/s in seq read, you probably are one of the victims.

If you have encountered any of these problem, please comment below.

v2-19a1f8849b68a33a726b6b974c6f65cd_b.jpg

v2-68b6a442cae1e8f965755342f1591be6_r.png

v2-12c9967ed420e48050e50d67654f23f7_b.jpg

Edited on Apr 18: Added picture

Last edited:
Reactions: tcchuin

aconcy

Mar 30, 2017
i get:

Sequential Read 775.17 MB/s
Sequential Write 184.59 MB/s
Random Read 169.76 MB/s
Random Write 149.56 MB/s
SQLite Insert 2882.43 QPS
SQLite Update 2946.98 QPS
SQLite Delete 4108.85 QPS

austriker27

Feb 2, 2010
This is serious unethical behavior by them. I was just about to order a P10 but know don't want to get a P10 that they intentionally loaded with worse components.

ClausG76

Aug 8, 2009
Holstebro
This is serious unethical behavior by them. I was just about to order a P10 but know don't want to get a P10 that they intentionally loaded with worse components.
I feel the same way.
I wonder what versions they sent to the big reviewers. :) They might need to add some alternative benchmark scores.
Also some of the scores are worse than SD card speeds.

Til96

Oct 22, 2012
My P10 has the UFS 2.1 as normal
Edit: I have tested the RAM and it has only a speed about 7400Mb/s!!! That's not good at all
So normal UFS 2.1 Storage but old RAM.
That's very disappointing!

Last edited:

codgician

Aug 13, 2013
Chengdu
codgician.me
OnePlus 8T
Seems like the international variant of Huawei P10 is unaffected?
Shame on HUAWEI.

---------- Post added at 01:20 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:04 PM ----------

Let me translate the official reply (roughly):

As a corporation which regards technology and quality as the key to survival, we have devoted ourselves to cooperating with leading solution suppliers and providing excellent product experience and services to our customers. As for the recently discussed problem on flash storage selection of HUAWEI P10 / P10 Plus, we have cooperated with multiple excellent flash storage suppliers closely to ensure product quality and user experience while guarantee the stability of supplying.

Whether a phone provides a smooth experience or not is not simply decided by one specific component but by the optimizations of software system and hardware system. In recent years, we have made huge effort to optimize and improve Kylin CPU, EMUI, Camera and more to ensure smooth user experience. This has won HUAWEI popularity among customers around the world.

For many years people have used benchmark tools to evaluate performance of a certain phone. However, this cannot represent the overall experience of this phone. Similarly, using some benchmark software to test the performance of some specific flash storage cannot represent the overall system performance and user experience. We have always strictly tested our phones under real world scenarios in hope of providing better experiences. We hope our customers can trust the quality of our products and our brand as always.

Original Text:

作为一家以技术和质量为核心生存理念的公司,华为始终致力于与业界领先的解决方案供应商合作,向消费者提供优秀的产品体验和服务。近期个别社交网络上关于P10 / P10 Plus闪存选用问题,我们同样与业界多家优秀的闪存解决方案供应商紧密合作,共同保障产品品质及用户体验,同时也是为了保障供应的稳定。

一部手机的体验是否流畅,不是单纯由某个单一部件性能决定的,而是由软件系统和硬件系统综合设计和优化来决定。近年来,华为投入大量人力和物力,对麒麟芯片、EMUI、摄像及其它软硬件系统进行深度优化和技术研发,以确保整机获得流畅的用户体验。从而使得华为Mate和P系列多款旗舰产品深受全球消费者喜爱。

过去很多年,业界一些评测机构都用不同跑分软件来衡量一部机器的性能,但这并不能代表一部手机的综合体验和产品优劣。同样,用某些跑分软件去测试单个闪存器件的相关性能,也不能准确反映出整部手机的系统能力和体验感知,更不符合用户的真实使用场景。华为一贯以提供用户更好的体验为理念,依据真实的用户场景模型,对手机进行严格的体验测试。希望广大消费者能够一如既往信赖华为品质,信赖华为品牌。

Last edited:

tcchuin

Dec 25, 2008
Seems like the international variant of Huawei P10 is unaffected?
Shame on HUAWEI.

---------- Post added at 01:20 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:04 PM ----------

Let me translate the official reply (roughly):

As a corporation which regards technology and quality as the key to survival, we have devoted ourselves to cooperating with leading solution suppliers and providing excellent product experience and services to our costumers. As for the recently discussed problem on flash storage selection of HUAWEI P10 / P10 Plus, we have cooperated with multiple excellent flash storage suppliers closely to ensure product quality and user experience while guarantee the stability of supplying.

Whether a phone provides a smooth experience or not is not simply decided by one specific component but by the optimizations of software system and hardware system. In recent years, we have made huge effort to optimize and improve Kylin CPU, EMUI, Camera and more to ensure a smooth user experience. This has won HUAWEI popularity among costumers around the world.

For many years people have used benchmark tools to reflect performance of a certain phone. However, this can not represent the overall experience of this phone. Similarly, using some benchmark software to test the performance of a specific flash storage also can not represent the overall system performance and user experience. We have always strictly tested our phones under real user's usage conditions in hope of providing our users a better experience. We sincerely hope our costumers can trust the quality of our products and our brand as always.

Original Text:

作为一家以技术和质量为核心生存理念的公司,华为始终致力于与业界领先的解决方案供应商合作,向消费者提供优秀的产品体验和服务。近期个别社交网络上关于P10 / P10 Plus闪存选用问题,我们同样与业界多家优秀的闪存解决方案供应商紧密合作,共同保障产品品质及用户体验,同时也是为了保障供应的稳定。

一部手机的体验是否流畅,不是单纯由某个单一部件性能决定的,而是由软件系统和硬件系统综合设计和优化来决定。近年来,华为投入大量人力和物力,对麒麟芯片、EMUI、摄像及其它软硬件系统进行深度优化和技术研发,以确保整机获得流畅的用户体验。从而使得华为Mate和P系列多款旗舰产品深受全球消费者喜爱。

过去很多年,业界一些评测机构都用不同跑分软件来衡量一部机器的性能,但这并不能代表一部手机的综合体验和产品优劣。同样,用某些跑分软件去测试单个闪存器件的相关性能,也不能准确反映出整部手机的系统能力和体验感知,更不符合用户的真实使用场景。华为一贯以提供用户更好的体验为理念,依据真实的用户场景模型,对手机进行严格的体验测试。希望广大消费者能够一如既往信赖华为品质,信赖华为品牌。

It's false advertising nevertheless. Should get more response if possible. IfnVidia can get into a class action lawsuit for the 970 4GB ram, mate 9/p10 outside with false advertising should face the same thing too.

EAPOCS

Aug 23, 2008
SO, are the international versions afflicted with this or is Huawei only cheating their chinese customers?

Ahzriaz

Jan 7, 2014
In the Netherlands:
AndroBench
Seq read: 770 MB/s
A1 SD Bench
RAM copy: 7338.33 MB/s

So fast storage slower RAM for me

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Teleported from Zhihu China.
    Not known by most user. The chip HUAWEI P10 use is called Schrödinger's Memory, which is the most advanced Quantum chip.
    When the production is released, the memory chip in it is simultaneously eMMC 5.1, ufs 2.0 and ufs 2.1
    The chip will meet everyone's real usage scenarios, providing you a very nice user experience.
    But once you observe into it, like using Benchmark, the chip collapses into one definite result either eMMC 5.1, ufs 2.0 or ufs 2.1, which will completely destroy the quantum chip.
    For the sake of the users, HUAWEI banned such APPs like Androbench or Benchmark, to protect our devices from collapsing.
    Unfortunately, curiosity kills the chip. They still cannot stop the users destroying their devices one after another.
    P10 claimed to have a 960 SoC that features UFS 2.1 and LPDDR4 , but it was discovered that P10 uses much slower eMMC 5.1 and LPDDR3 instead. This has started a storm on the social media a few days back in China..

HUAWEI has not yet make a explanation about it. However, their public relationship department has started deleting negative comments and disable downloads of the benchmark app in their own app store.

You can test your storage type using: androbench. If you get a result lower than 700MB/s in seq read, you probably are one of the victims.
    You can test your RAM type using A1 SD Bench: . If you get a result lower than 15,000MB/s in seq read, you probably are one of the victims.

If you have encountered any of these problem, please comment below.

v2-19a1f8849b68a33a726b6b974c6f65cd_b.jpg

v2-68b6a442cae1e8f965755342f1591be6_r.png

v2-12c9967ed420e48050e50d67654f23f7_b.jpg

Edited on Apr 18: Added picture
    In the Netherlands:
    AndroBench
    Seq read: 770 MB/s
    A1 SD Bench
    RAM copy: 7338.33 MB/s

So fast storage slower RAM for me

an article from China mentioned that Kirin 960 only can support LPDDR4, and A1SD is not accurate as it has not been updated since 2014, use geekbench 4 instead
    Below is the article but is in chinese, please use google translate for your preferred language:
    https://read01.com/DLm7Dn.html
    Seq read 585 MB/s
    RAM copy 7366.20 MB/s
    Also the Netherlands

I seem to have the UFS 2.0, speeds over 700 mb/s is UFS 2.1. I wouldn't worry to much between these versions. If you are not getting the eMMC with speeds +-300 MB/s.

SEQ RD: 562 MB/s
    RAM: 7797 MB/s

Compared to the Iphone 6 Plus, which is a premium phone that gets 402 MB/s SEQ RD. And compare that to the other:

77664.png

Iphone 7:

iPhone-v-iPhone-640x450.png
    Fresh out of the box P10 dual SIM 64 gb silver bought in Sweden. For the first time ever I have luck with hardware. Read speeds went down to 760 MB/s after installing a couple of apps. Aida reports ddr4.Screenshot_20170502-152019.png