Question Did I brick my phone?

Search This thread

Mtrlns

Jan 22, 2022
I seem to have gotten my N200 in a state where it will not power on. No screen display, no vibrations, and unresponsive to volume and power buttons (standalone or combination). It's a DE2118, T-Mobile variant, network locked and not rooted.
Here are the conditions leading up to it:
The phone was plugged in to my PC via USB, (through a USB hub).
My Sim/SD tray was ejected.
I had been using an ADB shell to disable-user some apps and check out some various PM commands.
I did not terminate the ADB shell before powering down from the phone.
Once powered off, I held the volume up+volume down+power buttons to attempt to check out the recovery mode. I've never entered recovery mode before on this device.
The USB cable was still plugged in and I could hear the USB new device sounds on my PC a few times while I did this but didn't think anything of it.
Nothing ever appeared on the screen and pushing any of the buttons seem to provide no response.
Battery usage was at least 80%, if not closer to 90% before this happened.
It almost seems like the device is powered on and running as there feels like there's some very slight warmth on the back panel, near the center just under the camera area but I might just be imagining the warmth.
I'm aware that it needs to be network unlocked before it can be rooted as per other threads and I have not tried any root methods.
I still have my ADB shell dialog up but there really isn't much interesting in it besides a lot of the command help dialog.
What are my options?

Note: I recently installed the Jan 6th android 11 security update maybe a day before.

Edit: For anyone looking at this later, the phone came back after a complete battery drain and partial recharge and I was able to replicate the bricked state performing the same thing, usb debugging on, plugged in to usb hub on pc, shut down phone, then holding all 3 buttons down for a while.

Last edited:

Mtrlns

Jan 22, 2022
Windows or Linux pc?
Does your device show up in device manager if windows?
If Linux, do you see the device if you run
adb devices or fastboot devices?
I'm using Windows 7 mainly.
It shows up in device manager when I plug in the USB but with error code 28, unknown driver.
In Win7, "adb devices" lists a blank line for devices.
In Linux, "adb devices" lists a blank line for devices.
In Linux, "fastboot devices" has no output at all.

Attachments

• 2022-01-22_18-10-00.png
    2022-01-22_18-10-00.png
    17.1 KB · Views: 29
  • 2022-01-22_18-14-13.png
    2022-01-22_18-14-13.png
    23.3 KB · Views: 29
  • 2022-01-22_18-17-31.png
    2022-01-22_18-17-31.png
    2.7 KB · Views: 28

awesomeidiot

Feb 1, 2015
If your phone is showed in device manager you should be able to give him his life back...had the same situation long time ago with my oppo find 7..

Mtrlns

Jan 22, 2022
Well, I think that made it worse. Couldn't get the Qualcomm CAB drivers working on Windows 7, but got it through Windows Update. The MSM tool went through the process fully but afterward I unplugged the device and tried to boot, still no response, nothing on screen, no vibration. Now when I plug my device back in to the USB, I have an endless new usb device noise and windows says "Unknown Device". Device manager refreshes constantly while its plugged in. Looking back I should have probably tried ADB first before running the MSM tool.

Mtrlns

Jan 22, 2022
After almost 24 hours of being unplugged, I tried plugging it in again and it finally had some signs of life with the low battery warning and then TMobile splash screen+vibration+sound after about 5 minutes. Still waiting on it to charge up for now. Probably just needed to be power cycled in the end instead of attempting to flash anything. I sure do miss the days of removable batteries.

Reactions: Xcaliber

Mtrlns

Jan 22, 2022
In the future, you can power cycle the device by holding all three buttons on the phone for 30 seconds while it isn't plugged into a PC.
I had tried that yesterday to no avail. Was very strange. Everything seems to be working as normal now, though factory reset from running the MSM tool. I'm wondering if I'd be able to duplicate the issue again.

Reactions: Xcaliber

Mtrlns

Jan 22, 2022
Could not replicate with USB debugging off and plugged directly in to my PC's USB port, but turning on USB debugging and plugging in to my USB hub, shutting down the phone, and then power cycling with all three buttons brought the same bricked state.

Don't know for sure if the USB port matters but while bricked plugging in to the USB hub always gives a USB device error sound. Going directly on PC it connects fine as a new device (as QUSB_BULK without drivers or Qualcomm HS USB QDLoader 9008 with drivers). ADB/Fastboot commands from PC's command line don't seem to do anything.

I did notice the fastboot menu show up on screen for a second when power cycling this time and I don't recall it appearing the first time. I think i may have had "advanced reboot" turned on the first time, while it was off this time.

Powercycling actually reset it this time.

Last edited:

mthous01

Possible solution

It would seem that you can force MSM to write both a and b slots, which might fix your issue. Might be worth a shot

Note: If this swaps you to the Tmobile software, there's no guarantee you'll have anything but a phone that cannot be bootloader unlocked again. Since unlocked have no unlock token, trying to do so with a phone that isn't technically Tmobile may be an issue.

Last edited:

AiM2LeaRn

Aug 11, 2021
if you bricked it and you have tmobile variant you can restore it weather you have a locked or unlocked bootloader.
you have to get your phone in EDL mode, once in EDL mode you will see the "QUSB_BULK_CID" in device manager. you will then need to install qualcomm drivers (if done manually you will have to endable windows test mode, if you use the qualcomm USB driver installer then it will do it for you and you will be in test mode upon next windows reboot.) Reboot windows in TEST MODE. NOTE: i said WINDOWS TEST MODE... Once in windows test mode the driver should function and look normal in device manager. From there just open the MSM tool for your version of Nord N200 and flash and wait about 3-5 minutes. Reboot the phone and you are back in Oxygen OS.

Tips and extra Files needed below:

for the tmobile NORD N200 MSM tool

The installer for the QUALCOM USB drivers can be found here at this website (ONLY use the QUALCOMM drivers from here, do not use any other file as it is for a different phone):
droidwin.com/unbrick-oneplus-7-pro/

once done unbricking and restoring your phone you can then exit windows test mode by running
bcdedit -set TESTSIGNING OFF
at the windows command prompt as ADMINISTRATOR.

Last edited:

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Try this, and see if it'll recognize you for MSM download.
    After almost 24 hours of being unplugged, I tried plugging it in again and it finally had some signs of life with the low battery warning and then TMobile splash screen+vibration+sound after about 5 minutes. Still waiting on it to charge up for now. Probably just needed to be power cycled in the end instead of attempting to flash anything. I sure do miss the days of removable batteries.
    Probably just needed to be power cycled in the end instead of attempting to flash anything.
    In the future, you can power cycle the device by holding all three buttons on the phone for 30 seconds while it isn't plugged into a PC.
    I had tried that yesterday to no avail. Was very strange. Everything seems to be working as normal now, though factory reset from running the MSM tool. I'm wondering if I'd be able to duplicate the issue again.
    Just had the same problem. Holding all buttons for 30 seconds worked.