Question Did I hard brick my phone? (SOLVED)

Search This thread

mbj731

Sep 13, 2014
First off, I converted my Tmo version to EU using the MSM conversion tool... I then proceeded to fastboot flash the A13 OTA manually. (I was hoping to keep the bootloader unlocked by manually flashing) At the point that I needed to reboot in to fastbootD to flash critical partitions, I couldnt get it to do so. I may have hit recovery mode while in the bootloader and my phone just went blank. Now I can only access EDL mode but I cant get any of the MSM tools to work.

I get an "IMEI is incorrect" error with the TMo-EU MSM, Global MSM says "invalid target TMo" so it recognizes it as tmobile.

below are the fastboot commands I entered. Is there anything that would completely brick my phone and erase recovery and bootloader??

fastboot flash boot boot.img
fastboot flash cpucp cpucp.img
fastboot flash dtbo dtbo.img
fastboot flash modem modem.img
fastboot flash oplusstanvbk oplusstanvbk.img
fastboot flash oplus_sec oplus_sec.img
fastboot flash qweslicstore qweslicstore.img
fastboot flash shrm shrm.img
fastboot flash splash splash.img
fastboot flash vbmeta vbmeta.img
fastboot flash vbmeta_vendor vbmeta_vendor.img
fastboot flash vbmeta_system vbmeta_system.img
fastboot flash vendor_boot vendor_boot.img
fastboot flash vm-bootsys vm-bootsys.img

First off, I converted my Tmo version to EU using the MSM conversion tool... I then proceeded to fastboot flash the A13 OTA manually. (I was hoping to keep the bootloader unlocked by manually flashing) At the point that I needed to reboot in to fastbootD to flash critical partitions, I couldnt get it to do so. I may have hit recovery mode while in the bootloader and my phone just went blank. Now I can only access EDL mode but I cant get any of the MSM tools to work.

I get an "IMEI is incorrect" error with the TMo-EU MSM, Global MSM says "invalid target TMo" so it recognizes it as tmobile.

below are the fastboot commands I entered. Is there anything that would completely brick my phone and erase recovery and bootloader??

fastboot flash boot boot.img
fastboot flash cpucp cpucp.img
fastboot flash dtbo dtbo.img
fastboot flash modem modem.img
fastboot flash oplusstanvbk oplusstanvbk.img
fastboot flash oplus_sec oplus_sec.img
fastboot flash qweslicstore qweslicstore.img
fastboot flash shrm shrm.img
fastboot flash splash splash.img
fastboot flash vbmeta vbmeta.img
fastboot flash vbmeta_vendor vbmeta_vendor.img
fastboot flash vbmeta_system vbmeta_system.img
fastboot flash vendor_boot vendor_boot.img
fastboot flash vm-bootsys vm-bootsys.img
Also, you need T-Mobile msm

mbj731

Sep 13, 2014

Shooter7889

Mar 24, 2019
FLORENCE
OnePlus 7 Pro
OnePlus 8T
Sorry for your situation...for future concerns, once u unlock bootloader, theres nothing other than msm that will relock it. As far as restoring your phone, I've seen where some ppl who can't find luck with their correct msm tool, they've had to use EU, or in most cases IND msm. Again, u will have to check box for lite firehose for it to work.

Also another thing to note...u really need to use regular style USB cable. Not newer ones that are C to C. If u haven't tried the cable problem I'd go back and try older style cable with correct msm tool b4 trying IND msm.

Reactions: TheGhost1951
Sorry for your situation...for future concerns, once u unlock bootloader, theres nothing other than msm that will relock it. As far as restoring your phone, I've seen where some ppl who can't find luck with their correct msm tool, they've had to use EU, or in most cases IND msm. Again, u will have to check box for lite firehose for it to work.

Also another thing to note...u really need to use regular style USB cable. Not newer ones that are C to C. If u haven't tried the cable problem I'd go back and try older style cable with correct msm tool b4 trying IND msm.
I use USB C to USB C 3.2 with no issues

Reactions: TheGhost1951

mbj731

Sep 13, 2014

thanks for the reply. Actually, I upgraded through MSM Tmo-EU and then took system updates up til the latest A12 OTA... after installing A13 .16 that I got through Oxygen updater, I was no longer able to unlock the bootloader! I cant remember ever relocking it but either way, I couldnt unlock on Android 13 stable.

I'm beginning to wonder if maybe it's this Windows 7 pc thats giving me problems. but I've successfully used it before to MSM... just did my OnePlus 7t to get it back to working state while I try to figure out this 9pro situation. I've tried several cables and all of the MSMs at this point. I'm getting "device doesnt match image" a lot now. With my luck, I got home to try my laptop and the harddrive has crapped out on it! ha

I wonder if theres a way to modify the MSM tool to just flash to any Oneplus 9pro without identifying the variant. I know that would be dangerous, but at this point I just need SOMETHING to work! Or the next option is sending it back to OnePlus under warranty (I didnt request an unlock token etc so should still be good)

mbj731

Sep 13, 2014
BTW, I've been doing this whole rooting/roming thing for a long time and I've also manually flashed through fastboot 100 times on different devices. I have NEVER ended up not being able to boot in to bootloader etc. I still dont understand how I lost bootloader and recovery etc flashing what I did,. Any ideas?

Shooter7889

Mar 24, 2019
FLORENCE
OnePlus 7 Pro
OnePlus 8T
BTW, I've been doing this whole rooting/roming thing for a long time and I've also manually flashed through fastboot 100 times on different devices. I have NEVER ended up not being able to boot in to bootloader etc. I still dont understand how I lost bootloader and recovery etc flashing what I did,. Any ideas?
I'm not sure either. So after u converted using conversion tool, u booted into OS and then u needed to unlock BL once more, correct? It's strange u lost bootloader/recovery completely.

mbj731

Sep 13, 2014
I'm not sure either. So after u converted using conversion tool, u booted into OS and then u needed to unlock BL once more, correct? It's strange u lost bootloader/recovery completely.
Yes, I had been running on A13 for a few days. Got the itch to root but as I said, I couldnt unlock bootloader (kept saying to flash token) so I decided to start the whole process over, unlock the bootloader and try to manually flash A13 instead of doing a local upgrade. (hadnt hit OTA for me yet)

During the process, theres a point where you have to boot in to fastbootD to flash critical partitions that wont flash in regular fastboot.... using the commands "fastboot reboot fastboot" wouldnt get me to fastbootD as I read it's supposed to. I think during all that and scrolling through the bootloader menu, I hit "recovery mode" which was apparently wiped because I just went straight to a black screen and thats where it's been ever since. I did all the button combos etc thinking it would just go back to bootloader but to no avail.

I wish there was a way to do manual commands in EDL or something. Maybe bootloader is there just that it's not responding to the hardware keys?

Shooter7889

Mar 24, 2019
FLORENCE
OnePlus 7 Pro
OnePlus 8T
Oh. When u tried to unlock BL did u try "fastboot oem unlock? Yeh usually, eben if I mess up with msm or flashing imgs, it will kind of get stuck in edl, and I have to hold all three hardware buttons for some time b4 it will finally respond

Shooter7889

Mar 24, 2019
FLORENCE
OnePlus 7 Pro
OnePlus 8T
Have you tried any of the older "all in one tools/fastboot enhance" posted on here in the past for older OP devices to see if they can do anything

Also, when I've had trouble in there past trying to find the right msm tool to work, each time I try one, if it shows connected on pc, then I try to run it, even if it fails, it kind of bricks edl, so I'd have to hold all three buttons to reset edl then try again(and it takes a little longer to respond than normal). If ur out of options other than returning it, id try the IND msm, check "lite firehose" and uncheck "sha256 check" and see if u have any luck

Reactions: mbj731

kjslabber

Mar 8, 2015
Northeast Ohio
OnePlus 8T
OnePlus 9 Pro
First I'd try holding all 3 buttons an UNGODLY long period of time and see if it finally boots to bootloader. Sometimes it takes for ever to shut down and restart. Then plug into pc use a USB 2 port if you have one. If pc sees the phone. If it does try adb devices in cmd terminal. If it list device try adb reboot bootloader and see if it boots.

mbj731

Sep 13, 2014
First I'd try holding all 3 buttons an UNGODLY long period of time and see if it finally boots to bootloader. Sometimes it takes for ever to shut down and restart. Then plug into pc use a USB 2 port if you have one. If pc sees the phone. If it does try adb devices in cmd terminal. If it list device try adb reboot bootloader and see if it boots.

I taped all the buttons down and I'll watch it for a while and see if it boots up. :ROFLMAO: I have tried holding them for a very good while with no luck already though

mbj731

Sep 13, 2014
Have you tried any of the older "all in one tools/fastboot enhance" posted on here in the past for older OP devices to see if they can do anything

Also, when I've had trouble in there past trying to find the right msm tool to work, each time I try one, if it shows connected on pc, then I try to run it, even if it fails, it kind of bricks edl, so I'd have to hold all three buttons to reset edl then try again(and it takes a little longer to respond than normal). If ur out of options other than returning it, id try the IND msm, check "lite firehose" and uncheck "sha256 check" and see if u have any luck
I've tried the IND MSM gives me an "unsuspected target TMO" error or something like that. So at least some tools are seeing it as TMo... Tmo tools say the device doesnt match! I'll have to find another computer or 2 to try.. I was supposed to ship off my oneplus 7t tomorrow for trade in on this 9 pro but now I'm using the 7t again as it's my only working device. this has been a headache. lol

thanks for the feedback. I'm trying everything I can think of and researching too

Reactions: Shooter7889

mbj731

Sep 13, 2014
Whew! I finally got it using EU MSM and the perfect combonation of cord/usb port, I guess. I had 3 cords, 10 usb ports and 5-6 MSMtools and after 2 days and probably 8+ hours of trying, I got my phone to boot again. lol

Appreciative

Mar 6, 2015
Whew! I finally got it using EU MSM and the perfect combonation of cord/usb port, I guess. I had 3 cords, 10 usb ports and 5-6 MSMtools and after 2 days and probably 8+ hours of trying, I got my phone to boot again. lol
Every one of us that's been at this long enough has gone thru this or a similar experience. It's a lot more headache but you also learn a lot more for the next time or to help others. Congrats on getting it up 🥳🎉

TheGhost1951

Feb 11, 2009
Garfield
OnePlus 9 Pro
thanks for the reply. Actually, I upgraded through MSM Tmo-EU and then took system updates up til the latest A12 OTA... after installing A13 .16 that I got through Oxygen updater, I was no longer able to unlock the bootloader! I cant remember ever relocking it but either way, I couldnt unlock on Android 13 stable.

I'm beginning to wonder if maybe it's this Windows 7 pc thats giving me problems. but I've successfully used it before to MSM... just did my OnePlus 7t to get it back to working state while I try to figure out this 9pro situation. I've tried several cables and all of the MSMs at this point. I'm getting "device doesnt match image" a lot now. With my luck, I got home to try my laptop and the harddrive has crapped out on it! ha

I wonder if theres a way to modify the MSM tool to just flash to any Oneplus 9pro without identifying the variant. I know that would be dangerous, but at this point I just need SOMETHING to work! Or the next option is sending it back to OnePlus under warranty (I didnt request an unlock token etc so should still be good)
You can use python3 to decrypt the .ops file, edit the first line parameters in the settings.ini, then python3 to encrypt the folder that was decrypted. Slow process but gives extra options.....

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Every one of us that's been at this long enough has gone thru this or a similar experience. It's a lot more headache but you also learn a lot more for the next time or to help others. Congrats on getting it up 🥳🎉

I use USB C to USB C 3.2 with no issues