• XDA Forums have been migrated to XenForo. We are aware of several issues including missing threads, logins not working, and more. To discuss, use this thread.

Did I just unlock the bootloader on the S7 Snapdragon?

DragonFire1024

Mar 27, 2017
Fort Lauderdale
I don't know if it's for real. And I don't know if I did it today or a few days ago. Nonetheless, according to developer options, I unlocked the bootloader on my Snapdragon S7. So I need some assistance to determine if this is the case. I have no idea how to tell if I did unlock it and I've no idea where to go or what to do from here.

Attachments

DragonFire1024

Mar 27, 2017
Fort Lauderdale
I ended up breaking the screen so i need to get it replaced. Here are the steps I took before i broke it:

1. Make sure OEM unlock is toggled on
1. Oreo, eng rooted, I Changed in build.prop, build type to userdebug.
2. Added 3 lines in build prop:
Code:
ro.oem_unlock_supported=1
sys.oem_unlock_allowed=1
ro.boot.flash.locked=0
3. Factory reset through recovery.

If that works i have a theory as to why. With an engineering kernel, it probably already allowed it, we just didn't know. These are legitimate build prop codes and are referenced the android source code. This has potential to work on other devices where you have the ability, without root, the manipulate the sys values and add some through adb shell using 'setprop'. I was able to add sys.oem_unlock_allow to a friends Alcatel.

Beanvee7

Feb 8, 2017
That toggle has always been available to SD users, it's just never actually done anything. It's a switch not connected to anything.

Beanvee7

Feb 8, 2017
I'd be very surprised if you were the first person ever to unlock a SD device, and that of all methods it was accidental.
I find it more believable you accidentally toggled this in the past and forgot.
You could always try the files from the Chinese variant, but prepare for bootloops.

DragonFire1024

Mar 27, 2017
Fort Lauderdale
I'd be very surprised if you were the first person ever to unlock a SD device, and that of all methods it was accidental.
I find it more believable you accidentally toggled this in the past and forgot.
You could always try the files from the Chinese variant, but prepare for bootloops.
I wouldn't be that surprised. I always suspected it was stuck in limbo waiting for something to give it the ok to unlock, especially geven it being persistent. If the toggle was truly inoperable, it wouldn't do anything and a box wouldn't pop up. Given the engineering kernel, this unlocking seems very possible. From Android:

"The ro.oem_unlock_supported property should be set at build time based on whether the device supports flashing unlock. ro.oem_unlock_supported should be set to "0" if flashing unlock is not supported on the device or "1" if flashing unlock is supported.

If the device supports flashing unlock (i.e. ro.oem_unlock_supported = 1), then the bootloader should indicate the lock status by setting the kernel command line variable androidboot.flash.locked (or the /firmware/android/flash.locked DT property) to "1" if locked or "0" if unlocked."
https://source.android.com/devices/bootloader/unlock-trusty

Last edited:

Maxissc

Feb 3, 2014
Buenos Aires
so, have you tried to flash twrp via odin yet? which device do you have?
Im on oreo too and mine says "Allow the phone to be OEM unlocked" my device is a 935V

Last edited:

Maxissc

Feb 3, 2014
Buenos Aires
I ended up breaking the screen so i need to get it replaced. Here are the steps I took before i broke it:

Code:
sys.oem_unlock_allowed=1
ro.boot.flash.locked=0
3. Factory reset through recovery.

If that works i have a theory as to why. With an engineering kernel, it probably already allowed it, we just didn't know. These are legitimate build prop codes and are referenced the android source code. This has potential to work on other devices where you have the ability, without root, the manipulate the sys values and add some through adb shell using 'setprop'. I was able to add sys.oem_unlock_allow to a friends Alcatel.
Im about to try your procedure. i'll update my results

edit: After applying the build.prop lines and rebooting (didn't do factory reset) my OEM unlock switch now says "Bootloader is already unlocked"
Im wondering if that is because the bootloader got really unlocked, or if it's because of any of the added lines and it's just text

edit2: tried to flash twrp via odin 3.13 3B and it fails

Last edited:

DragonFire1024

Mar 27, 2017
Fort Lauderdale

Im about to try your procedure. i'll update my results

edit: After applying the build.prop lines and rebooting (didn't do factory reset) my OEM unlock switch now says "Bootloader is already unlocked"
Im wondering if that is because the bootloader got really unlocked, or if it's because of any of the added lines and it's just text

edit2: tried to flash twrp via odin 3.13 3B and it fails
Damn. Perhaps its the version of TWRP. I guess we'll have to wonder until something else comes along.

tko

Oct 23, 2005
i would really like to try this, but i dont really understand the instructions^^

could someone put the instructions down once again?

DragonFire1024

Mar 27, 2017
Fort Lauderdale
i would really like to try this, but i dont really understand the instructions^^

could someone put the instructions down once again?
Make sure OEM unlock enabled in settings.

Add to build.prop:
sys.oem_unlock_allowed=1

Factory reset

You also could try adding this to build.prop:
ro.boot.verifiedbootstate=0

Like any mods, be prepared for the potential to brick. Im not responsible for anything that breaks.

lugnut2099

Aug 8, 2016
Well, I'm erring on the side of "There's no way it was THIS simple all along" and assuming it means nothing, but still...it's interesting, I'll give it that.

FWIW, I can't seem to replicate the "Bootloader Is Already Unlocked" message for some reason. I've got SM-G935R4 (US Cellular S7 Edge, though these are sold unlocked straight out of the box so the carrier is more like a technicality...) and I'm still running Nougat. What I get is a greyed-out box, switched to "On" and not adjustable, with the normal "Allow the device to be OEM unlocked" text still present (but also greyed out). I also didn't factory reset, just a few reboots.

I added all four lines suggested here (the original three, plus "ro.boot.verifiedbootstate=0") and found that A). the ro.boot.verifiedbootstate one doesn't have any discernible effects from a purely visual standpoint, and B). If I remove/comment-out the "ro.boot.flash.lock" line, the ability to switch OEM Unlock On/Off returns and the setting isn't greyed out.

Does any of that matter or mean anything? Hell if I know, I'm just chiming in.

DragonFire1024

Mar 27, 2017
Fort Lauderdale
Well, I'm erring on the side of "There's no way it was THIS simple all along" and assuming it means nothing, but still...it's interesting, I'll give it that.

FWIW, I can't seem to replicate the "Bootloader Is Already Unlocked" message for some reason. I've got SM-G935R4 (US Cellular S7 Edge, though these are sold unlocked straight out of the box so the carrier is more like a technicality...) and I'm still running Nougat. What I get is a greyed-out box, switched to "On" and not adjustable, with the normal "Allow the device to be OEM unlocked" text still present (but also greyed out). I also didn't factory reset, just a few reboots.

I added all four lines suggested here (the original three, plus "ro.boot.verifiedbootstate=0") and found that A). the ro.boot.verifiedbootstate one doesn't have any discernible effects from a purely visual standpoint, and B). If I remove/comment-out the "ro.boot.flash.lock" line, the ability to switch OEM Unlock On/Off returns and the setting isn't greyed out.

Does any of that matter or mean anything? Hell if I know, I'm just chiming in.
No idea. This does tell us a bit though. OEM toggle isn't disabled. Has anyone who tried this do a factory reset?

Our Apps
Get our official app! (coming soon)
The best way to access XDA on your phone
Nav Gestures
Add swipe gestures to any Android
One Handed Mode
Eases uses one hand with your phone