Did Netflix inadvertently break it's service for Nvidia Shield Tablet?

Stickman89

Inactive Recognized Developer
Apr 5, 2007
Milton Keynes
Is Netflix TV working for anyone else on the Shield Tablet? It was working great up until a week ago. Now all I get is the below on every stream on Netflix. It doesn't even attempt to buffer. Instant error. I'm on the Official Nvidia Tablet 5.4 firmware with darcy (Shield Android TV) build.prop spoof. Wiped app data + cache with no result. Reinstalled apk... Nothing works.

"This title is not available to watch instantly. Please try another title. - 1044"
tvq-pb-101(2.10.0)
Netflix version: 7.3.2-3539 R

Has Netflix blacklisted our device, added checks to prevent build.prop spoofing, upped firmware version requirement, or included security patch check?

Edit: Just to be clear. I am referring to the Android TV version of Netflix. It works, or atleast it did, providing you spoof your model, name and device along with adding and setting ro.nrdp.modelgroup and ro.nrdp.audio.otfs properties in build.prop. Anyway, It seems to be broken now.

Anyone else with a similar setup, we need more reports on this issue?

Last edited:

Stickman89

Apr 5, 2007
Milton Keynes
Just tried The-Saint2k's lineage 14.1 also... It's broken just the same there to. Same error. Both with darcy and foster spoof in build.prop.

Has anyone found a solution?

ThauExodus

Sep 30, 2010
Lineage 14.1.20190202-NIGHTLY-shieldtablet
Netflix 7.26.1 build 27
Works for me, I can play videos in Netflix

Last edited:

Stickman89

Apr 5, 2007
Milton Keynes
Netflix 7.26.1 build 27
Perhaps it's just the latter builds of netflix then. I use APK updater to keep my Netflix up-to-date from APK Mirror. I literally didn't change anything else other then updating my APK. I'll try 7.26.1 build 27 and see whats happening.

Stickman89

Apr 5, 2007
Milton Keynes
Netflix 7.26.1 build 27
I don't think you're using the Netflix TV version? Am I right? I can't find version 7.26.1... Either way, I downgraded a few APK's back and it still doesn't work. I noticed it stopped working when they started to use expanding video/film tiles on their front page. Anyway, it's looking broken to me.

Stickman89

Apr 5, 2007
Milton Keynes
No, it's the regular tablet version I'm using
I'm not surprised that one still works :) . I much prefer to use the Android TV version though out of convenience. I'm more familiar with it, and it's a breeze navigating the UI with a controller when connected to a TV. Besides, does the standard Netflix apk support HD resolution on our device without spoofing?

It's starting to look like it's the end of the road for the Android TV version of Netflix on the Shield Tablet. Boo!

I'll keep digging. I'll update this thread when I reach the otherside.

Last edited:

Stickman89

Apr 5, 2007
Milton Keynes
I really thought more people would be sounding off about this. I mean, I know this device is old... But I can't be the only one using it for streaming. People spoofing Nvidia Shield TV and using Netflix TV. Speak up? Please aha :crying:

I've noticed Kodi Netflix plugin users are also mentioning a similar occurrence. Is it working for anyone still? Be interested in knowing your setup.

Pietplezier

Oct 24, 2010
Somewhere in Holland.
Hi guys, I have a stock k1 tablet, and recently Netflix, and other legal video apps are stopped working.. They all give something likeb "error code xx occurred" I think it's maybe some DRM issue or something? My own video's on plex and kodi are running fine.

K1 with stock rom ( android 7.0)

ydoc14

Nov 29, 2019
Hi guys, I have a stock k1 tablet, and recently Netflix, and other legal video apps are stopped working.. They all give something likeb "error code xx occurred" I think it's maybe some DRM issue or something? My own video's on plex and kodi are running fine.

K1 with stock rom ( android 7.0)
The exact thing just happened to me a few days ago too. I posted about this in another section of these forums, but no luck. My K1 is stock 7.0, not rooted, and suddenly can't play purchased movies on Youtube, Google Play Movies, Fandango, Movies Anywhere, and VUDU. I have factory reset multiple times with no fix. I have also downgraded back to Lollipop and they still won't play. Tried Marshmallow, and no luck either. It's a DRM problem, but I don't have a clue what has happened. At least now I know it's not something wrong with my device itself since you're having the same problem. Please keep me posted if you get yours working and what you did to fix it. My guess is the K1 has been blacklisted by Google Widevine DRM. But why???

Stickman89

Apr 5, 2007
Milton Keynes
The exact thing just happened to me a few days ago too. I posted about this in another section of these forums, but no luck. My K1 is stock 7.0, not rooted, and suddenly can't play purchased movies on Youtube, Google Play Movies, Fandango, Movies Anywhere, and VUDU. I have factory reset multiple times with no fix. I have also downgraded back to Lollipop and they still won't play. Tried Marshmallow, and no luck either. It's a DRM problem, but I don't have a clue what has happened. At least now I know it's not something wrong with my device itself since you're having the same problem. Please keep me posted if you get yours working and what you did to fix it. My guess is the K1 has been blacklisted by Google Widevine DRM. But why???
That was exactly my thought too... They've blacklisted our device killing L1 widevine support. Unless L1 Widevine support is limited by security patch level now... I know a couple of 3rd party netflix plugins also took a hit recently to. Their issue section is riddled with similar errors. Seems like HD streaming services, or solely google; are really stirring up the pot. Either way... This sucks.

lucybook

Jan 27, 2017
Well, its not just netflix. Regional streaming services are not working as well. Just throwing error. Netflix just stay on netflix logo tho.

Pietplezier

Oct 24, 2010
Somewhere in Holland.
Gladly, and sadly.. I'm not the only one. I think it's a DRM issue too.. Because all of my legal subscription based stuff stopped working.

Netflix
Npo (Dutch app)
Ziggo TV (Dutch app)
KPN itv (Dutch app)

Normal YouTube videos works. But they don't have DRM... So sad.. I need some time, but when I have I gonna try a custom rom. Maybe that helps?

D

DameHamara

I have the same issue, both The Criterion Channel and MUBI will no longer stream on my device as of last week. I'm on original Shield Tablet, using 14.1-20180922-NIGHTLY-shieldtablet. Originally, I thought it was just the Criterion app, but after dealing with support, I found out that the current HDCP level is reporting as "disconnected", support telling me that was the reason. I wasn't convinced because streaming had stopped working immediately after having successfully watched 2 movies and then trying a third. I tried using MUBI to see if that was working, but that is broken too. Turns out, it was the DRM issue.

Stickman89

Apr 5, 2007
Milton Keynes
Gladly, and sadly.. I'm not the only one. I think it's a DRM issue too.. Because all of my legal subscription based stuff stopped working.

Netflix
Npo (Dutch app)
Ziggo TV (Dutch app)
KPN itv (Dutch app)

Normal YouTube videos works. But they don't have DRM... So sad.. I need some time, but when I have I gonna try a custom rom. Maybe that helps?
Custom ROM's won't fix the issue; I've tried already -.-

You're definitely not wrong though... So very very sad. The whole reason I brought this tablet was solely for streaming. I wasn't expecting L1 widevine support to end. I think we need to make some noise over at the Nvidia forums...

thoroc

Mar 13, 2016
Just registered to see what could be done about this very issue. I am currently not a happy bunny about a device I was using solely for streaming while on the couch. I am not even sure I want to mock about with the software to get it working again.

ydoc14

Nov 29, 2019
Just registered to see what could be done about this very issue. I am currently not a happy bunny about a device I was using solely for streaming while on the couch. I am not even sure I want to mock about with the software to get it working again.
Unfortunately, there is nothing us users can do to get it working again. It has Widevine L1 version 1.0, but current Widevine L1 is version 14 or higher. Not sure, but I think version 1.0 is much older than Android 7. Don't know why such an old version is used, but that's probably why it is Widevine blocked now. I've found that the Google Play Movies & TV app (now Google TV) will still play your movies, but in SD. MoviesAnywhere will play in SD on the website on whatever browser you have on it, but the app will not revert to SD. The VUDU app, which is the main one I need to work because of having some movies on it that aren't MoviesAnywhere compatible, will not play in SD even when clicking to play in SD. Pretty sad that the Google TV app will at least revert to SD but the other's won't.

Pietplezier

Oct 24, 2010
Somewhere in Holland.
Custom ROM's won't fix the issue; I've tried already -.-

You're definitely not wrong though... So very very sad. The whole reason I brought this tablet was solely for streaming. I wasn't expecting L1 widevine support to end. I think we need to make some noise over at the Nvidia forums...

Fixed it! Netflix is in SD, and all my other legal video streaming apps are working again!

Linage 14.1 with magisk 20.4 and the magisk liboemcrypto disabler addon.

Yes yes yes! No need to throw my shield at the trash!

Stickman89

Apr 5, 2007
Milton Keynes
Fixed it! Netflix is in SD, and all my other legal video streaming apps are working again!

Linage 14.1 with magisk 20.4 and the magisk liboemcrypto disabler addon.

Yes yes yes! No need to throw my shield at the trash!
Non certified devices have been using that technique for a long time. I don't really see that as a fix though. Just forces all HD content to 480p. We had widevine support to allow HD content. That's why I bought this tablet... I was using Netflix TV, and streaming content in HD. Now it's completely broken. I can't bring myself to viewing content on a large TV at 480p using the non TV Netflix apk. It's just sad and painful -_-

Thanks for the suggestion though. I'm sure others will make use of it.