• Introducing XDA Computing: Discussion zones for Hardware, Software, and more!    Check it out!

Differences between real and fake Samsung EVO microsd cards

Search This thread

droid2501

Dec 20, 2010
I bought two Samsung 64 GB microsd cards. One is fake and one is real so I thought I'd post here showing you guys the difference between the two. The fake one was bought from an ebay vendor, the real one was bought from Amazon. Here are the pics....

The fake card is on the left, the authenctic card is on the right.

The lettering is different on the front of the cards, the fake on has a smaller, bolder 64 than the authentic one. You can also see that the "XC" lettering is larger on the fake than the authentic. Another difference is the orange color, the orange color on the fake is brighter and more saturated than on the authentic card. Also note how you can see the black border at the top of the fake, it looks when the lettering/paint was not applied properly to the card, it is a little offset so it does not fully cover the top of the card.
2lw97bc.jpg

The back of the fake has no lettering at all. The authentic one has the lot/serial numbers and it is made in Korea. I've also heard that some of the better fake cards have "Made in Taiwan" on the back.
2mqn4pc.jpg

Finally, on the authentic card there is a white edge or "border" that goes all the way around the card, the fake one has a black edge.
2eq7zwm.jpg

I should also note that the fake card reported a different disk size on my tablet, the fake reported a disk size of 62.95 GB while the authentic card reported a size of 59.62 GB. Also the fake card kept on giving my tablet access errors and I had to continually mount and remount it in order to open some files.

I hope this helps you identify whether or not you have a fake card. If you have any questions please post! Thanks!

Last edited:

WIMMPYIII

Apr 10, 2013
I bought two Samsung 64 GB microsd cards. One is fake and one is real so I thought I'd post here showing you guys the difference between the two. The fake one was bought from an ebay vendor, the real one was bought from Amazon. Here are the pics....

The lettering is different on the front of the cards, the fake on has a smaller, bolder 64 than the authentic one. You can also see that the "XC" lettering is larger on the fake than the authentic. Another difference is the orange color, the orange color on the fake is brighter and more saturated than on the authentic card. Also note how you can see the black border at the top of the fake, it looks when the lettering/paint was not applied properly to the card, it is a little offset so it does not fully cover the top of the card.
2lw97bc.jpg

The back of the fake has no lettering at all. The authentic one has the lot/serial numbers and it is made in Korea. I've also heard that some of the better fake cards have "Made in Taiwan" on the back.
2mqn4pc.jpg

Finally, on the authentic card there is a white edge or "border" that goes all the way around the card, the fake one has a black edge.
2eq7zwm.jpg

I should also note that the fake card reported a different disk size on my tablet, the fake reported a disk size of 62.95 GB while the authentic card reported a size of 59.62 GB. Also the fake card kept on giving my tablet access errors and I had to continually mount and remount it in order to open some files.

I hope this helps you identify whether or not you have a fake card. If you have any questions please post! Thanks!

Thanks for these pictures. I also fell for this scam. I got one of the better "Made in Taiwan" forgeries. I wouldn't be surprised if the ebay seller didn't even know. The only thing that caught my eye is the printer ink didnt have quite the same mat finish that i had seen when researching the card so i looked on the back and saw the "Made in Taiwan". It is disturbing how good they are getting at this, and i think the reason why is to do with the fact that ebay isnt harder on the sellers for it.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.

2lw97bc.jpg

2mqn4pc.jpg

2eq7zwm.jpg