Different camera sensors? Isocell vs imx240?

Search This thread

ehasley

Jun 21, 2010
Pittsburgh
I don't think it's just the kernel, because my software says LL instead of LS as well. By the way, whether the photo is LS or LL shows up in the EXIF data as well under image ID.

For example, I had a couple of Galaxy S6s (which I kept replacing due to screen issues). The ones with the Sony sensor takes better images, unfortunately. Or perhaps it's just placebo. I dunno.

Image ID on the Sony: A16LSIA00VM
Image ID on the ISOCELL: A16LLIC08VM

---------- Post added at 09:06 AM ---------- Previous post was at 08:52 AM ----------

Anyway, I took a look at photos from reviews and all of them have 'LS' or the Sony sensor on them. Seems like Samsung did a pretty despicable bait-and-switch if some units are indeed ISOCELL... My Sony one was manufactured 3/14/15 in Vietnam. Samsung on 4/17/15 in Vietnam.

Thanks for the exif tip!

Verizon 920v made in China - Sony Sensor LS

Juzh

Apr 25, 2015
Isocell. 920F - Slovenian market. Made in vietnam.
:(
I have been noticing low light pictures MIGHT not be as good as you might be led to believe. Outdoor in good light excellent though, not much to say there.

xuanbao

Feb 12, 2005
Netherlands PHN G920F, Bought at Samsung.nl, ISOCELL

A friend of mine has the ISOCELL also, PHN G920F bought from Typhone.nl.

Guess we both unlucky

Last edited:

bernard134

Mar 5, 2010
Singapore
All is about S6 Camera sensor having two different sensor. Does it affect S6 Edge as well? Those with S6 Edge can check and report back, thanks!

trenzterra

Dec 5, 2010
Samsung:

ISO 100
ISO 100.jpg

ISO 200
ISO 200.jpg

ISO 400
ISO 400.jpg

ISO 1000
ISO 1000.jpg

Anyway, I realise you guys forgot one factor: manufacturing date. If I'm not wrong more of those S6s manufactured from mid April onwards have the "Samsung" sensor. My first 3 units had a Sony sensor.

ysrini

Sep 27, 2012
Anyway, I realise you guys forgot one factor: manufacturing date. If I'm not wrong more of those S6s manufactured from mid April onwards have the "Samsung" sensor. My first 3 units had a Sony sensor.

Do you have ISO 1000 or was it a mistake? I have a SONY IMX240 and my max ISO is 800 (AUTO, 100, 200, 400, 800)

trenzterra

Dec 5, 2010
Do you have ISO 1000 or was it a mistake? I have a SONY IMX240 and my max ISO is 800 (AUTO, 100, 200, 400, 800)

On Auto it goes up to 1,250 and even beyond (the highest I've seen is 1,250, after that it seems to be blank in the EXIF).

Here's some other shots:

ISO 640 (Auto):
Vsonic 640.jpg

ISO 1,250 (Auto):
Vsonic 1250.jpg

Unknown (High?) ISO (Auto):
HighISO.jpg

ysrini

Sep 27, 2012
On Auto it goes up to 1,250 and even beyond (the highest I've seen is 1,250, after that it seems to be blank in the EXIF)

Oh ok! And my phone's manufacturing date is 13-03-2015. I have a SONY IMX240.

Apart from this debate, at the back of my phone it says Yateley UK, Made by Samsung, Where as in the Phone Info App it says Made in VIETNAM.
Do you guys have similar experience?

Last edited:

tommaazz

Jul 26, 2009
Isocell. 920F - Slovenian market. Made in vietnam.
:(
I have been noticing low light pictures MIGHT not be as good as you might be led to believe. Outdoor in good light excellent though, not much to say there.

I have checked mine ID on the pictures and it seems i have a sony sensor, SLOVENIAN market :) the first batch that was available on 17th...mine is white 32gb...do you have a LED always on issue (only visible in complete dark room)?

mupet0000

Sep 16, 2010
Oh ok! And my phone's manufacturing date is 13-03-2015. I have a SONY IMX240.

Apart from this debate, at the back of my phone it says Yateley UK, Made by Samsung, Where as in the Phone Info App it says Made in VIETNAM.
Do you guys have similar experience?

Mine is from 06-03-2015 with IMX240 and here is the back of the phone:
http://i.imgur.com/PgCK6Ug.jpg

It says Made in Vietnam but it does have Yately on it. Show the back of your phone?

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    You are absolutely right. I was sure I had been reading it somewhere. But i guess it was on all the tech sites. I just hope the difference isn't too big. I like the Images that mine take with the isocell. But it's freaking annoying if there's a version out there with a better sensor, even if it is only slightly better. But would be nice if someone could do a comparison between the two. Or better, open up the one claiming to have the isocell.

Sendt fra min SM-G920F med Tapatalk

I'm from SamMobile I'll be taking Pictures tonight with both cameras and post a comparison tomorrow..
    I'm very happy with the ISOCELL sensor. See my results!

Yellow Flower by Karl, on Flickr

Flower3 by Karl, on Flickr

Claire and Brielle by Karl, on Flickr

Mill Lake S6 Edge by Karl, on Flickr
    I can't believe this thread. I understand it's XDA, but some people take it too far - the casual crowd comes and wants to replace a phone because it has Isocell? Really?

I have two Galaxy S6 phones, one for private use, and one edge for work. I have Isocell in my private phone, Sony in my work phone.
    When I received my private phone first I was amazed at the photo quality, coming from the S4 I couldn't believe at how far the mobile photography went. No matter what I want to photograph, comes out really great, and the low-light shots? You gotta be kidding me at how technology progressed within just 2 years and what Samsung has done in such relatively small unit.

Before getting the phone I saw the comparisons of sensors and couldn't help but notice slightly more pleasant colors on the Sony sensor, so when I checked that my private unit had Isocell I thought, oh well, almost equal but maybe it would be nice to have the Sony one for more vibrancy. And that was before the firmware updates when there were visible color reproduction differences between units!
    I still absolutely loved the camera, and I can't understand how such minimal thing can change someone's attitute towards the camera and make it not appreciate what it is - which is still the best smartphone camera package (maybe except Nokia 1020), no matter if with Samsung or Sony sensor.

The difference between device optics vary between devices more than those equally speccd sensors, the difference between battery capacity and sillicon quality vary more between devices, the screen quality and uniformity varies far more from unit to unit, even though Samsung is awesome in consistency of using the same Amoled panel per line of devices. How would you be bummed out by having an Isocell sensor? REALLY? Why would you let something mostly imaginary ruin the experience with such amazing camera?
    I would say there's definitely a difference and the Sony sensor is definitely better. The ISOCELL photo is a little bit washed out and details are softer throughout when you compare 1:1 crops.
    By a hair's breadth but you are right, the IMX looks a bit better.

EDIT: Just made this in order to easily appreciate the differences.
    Rtkm8Cj.jpg

fFWoN5q.jpg