• Introducing XDA Computing: Discussion zones for Hardware, Software, and more!    Check it out!
  • Fill out your device list and let everyone know which phones you have!    Edit Your Device Inventory

Question Different charging patterns

Search This thread
If i use the official fast charger .....charge up to 100% the next day I barely get 16 hrs and 3 hrs screen time..wireless charge slowly and I get 30 percent more .
Anyone else see a difference??
Uk unlocked s21u for reference.
That sounds interesting! Would love to look into this a little deeper.

Could you describe this in a little more detail please? Like when do you start charging, how long it takes with each method, what your usage pattern is like, and what you mean by 30% more (SOT, Standgy, or literal battery percentage remaining)? And any relevant screeenshots would be much appreciated.

blackhawk

Jun 23, 2020
Fast charging will not engage if the temperature is too low. It will remain disengaged for that charge cycle.
Charging is an electrochemical reaction that needs a certain temperature range to function properly.
Minimum start temp is 72°F but 82-90F is optimal.
Anything below 72F brings the risk of Li plating which will permanently degrade the cell.
Charging will also shutdown if the battery temperature goes too high.

Fast charging will not engage if the temperature is too low. It will remain disengaged for that charge cycle.
Charging is an electrochemical reaction that needs a certain temperature range to function properly.
Minimum start temp is 72°F but 82-90F is optimal.
Anything below 72F brings the risk of Li plating which will permanently degrade the cell.
Charging will also shutdown if the battery temperature goes too high.
I don't think OP is talking about speed of charging. We're trying to discuss battery life with different speeds of charging.

blackhawk

Jun 23, 2020
I don't think OP is talking about speed of charging. We're trying to discuss battery life with different speeds of charging.
It should be near identical.
Android battery capacity sensing always left something to be desired.
Battery temperatures should be made the same when comparing.

Try comparing battery voltages rather than indicated %

It should be near identical.
Android battery capacity sensing always left something to be desired.
Battery temperatures should be made the same when comparing.

Try comparing battery voltages rather than indicated %
That is why we're waiting for more information about his experience before coming to any conclusions.

blackhawk

Jun 23, 2020
That is why we're waiting for more information about his experience before coming to any conclusions.
Depending on how fast the battery is charging it may shutdown at a lower charge level to avoid overshooting the correct shutdown voltage.
Samsung is said to be very conservative with their charge curves... I wonder why💥

Samsung should be using graphene batteries by now. Instead of throwing all their resources at the Folds, which never have sold well, they neglect their bread winners. I just reamed them out over that today🤣

mattlcfc

Nov 18, 2010
Samsung Galaxy S21 Ultra
I'll have to do some tracking and get some screen shots . I normally wireless charge overnight and it says 100 % every morning and I use 70 % battery on average . But 1 day a week I have to charge using the lead . I only have the "super fast" charger and lead and the next day the battery is always worse by quite a way . Dead by 19:00 hrs. Similar usage most days . Its as if on fast charge it says 100 % but is way down.
As said I'll do some more investigation.

nixnixnixnix4

Mar 15, 2021
I'll have to do some tracking and get some screen shots . I normally wireless charge overnight and it says 100 % every morning and I use 70 % battery on average . But 1 day a week I have to charge using the lead . I only have the "super fast" charger and lead and the next day the battery is always worse by quite a way . Dead by 19:00 hrs. Similar usage most days . Its as if on fast charge it says 100 % but is way down.
As said I'll do some more investigation.
You know that you can toggle OFF fast-charging and super-fast-charging in the battery settings right?
Try that.

SuperIronOut

Sep 5, 2020
It's typical for batteries to last longer the slower they're charged. If you're using fast charging when plugged in, you'll see a decrease in the amount of charge that is held throughout the day, compared to wireless charging which is quite a bit slower.

blackhawk

Jun 23, 2020
It's typical for batteries to last longer the slower they're charged. If you're using fast charging when plugged in, you'll see a decrease in the amount of charge that is held throughout the day, compared to wireless charging which is quite a bit slower.
So you're saying if one battery is slow, one is fast charged, both to 3.2 volts, the slow charged one will yield mAhs.

Unless the battery is degraded I have my doubts that it be a significant difference.

Top Liked Posts