Different display quality variants?

Search This thread

slole

Dec 21, 2015
I have recently bought an LG G4 as a budget device and I started noticing horizontal lines on the screen that look like equally distributed groups of dimmer and groups of brighter rows of pixels. At first I started thinking it was just the fact that I had a screen protector on my phone. But out of curiosity I compared my G4 , another one that has been bought about a half of a year ago and another one that was bought close after launch. Only mine has a screen protector on. I set the brightness on all three phones to maximum and noticed the one that was also bought fairly recently had the same sort of lines, however the one that was bought close to launch had ever so slightly better colors , no lines were to be found and was overall of better quality. Now I'm thinking that LG could have decreased display quality over time to make the phone cheaper and appealing to budget customers like myself. So I searched all over internet but haven't found nothing. The "lines" are actually barely noticeable and can't be picked up by a camera. I still like the phone but I would like to know if LG is producing different grades of displays for the same model over time (like revisions). Also note that all the phones tested were bought in the same country and all are the H815 model, also none of them were bought refurbished or used they were all directly bought from retailers/carriers.

Thanks for reading and please, let's discuss is this just random differences between displays or is this intentional to save money.

Last edited:

OllieD

Mar 22, 2007
North Yorkshire
www.Krew-13.Net
The original screens had problems with Screen Burn/Ghosting.

Mine suffers quite badly from it and was contemplating sending it back for repair.

LG could have changed the displays used in order solve this problem or it could quite possibly just be a stock/manufacturing thing.

Devices often change parts during their lifetime due to stock/availability issues or depending on which facility the phone was manufactured.

slole

Dec 21, 2015
The original screens had problems with Screen Burn/Ghosting.

Mine suffers quite badly from it and was contemplating sending it back for repair.

LG could have changed the displays used in order solve this problem or it could quite possibly just be a stock/manufacturing thing.

Devices often change parts during their lifetime due to stock/availability issues or depending on which facility the phone was manufactured.

I understand that devices get different parts throughout their lifetime (for instance my previous device Xperia M2 had 2 revisions of sensors) , but I was just interested to know if there is any concrete facts of LG buying cheaper panels for the G4.

Our Apps
Get our official app!
The best way to access XDA on your phone
Nav Gestures
Add swipe gestures to any Android
One Handed Mode
Eases uses one hand with your phone