different region rom on indian s5

Search This thread

sharingan

May 30, 2013
Hello friends
Have a question

I am using s5 sm g900h indian variant
I am on indian rom right now but i want to try latest 4.4.2 which is in indonesia so can i flash indonesian rom on my variant or should i wait for my update

fffft

Jul 16, 2013
I am using s5 sm g900h indian variant
I am on indian rom right now but i want to try latest 4.4.2 which is in indonesia so can i flash indonesian rom on my variant or should i wait for my update

You should probably wait for an update from your carrier.

Flashing the actual Indonesian ROM as you proposed is problematic. It can be done, provided that the ROM is intended for the same model of phone i.e. 900H. To do it properly, you need to also flash the proper PIT file at the same time to guard against possible partition corruption. So if your phone is e.g. a 16 GB 900H, you need to use a PIT file from a 16 GB 900H that already has firmware installed from the Indonesian carrier. If you flash without the appropriate PIT file, you may well brick your phone as the poster above cited.

Another possibility is changing your CSC to another local carrier that is already rolling out the OTA update. That would likely be compatible but no one will guarantee it as that specific update may depend upon a carrier specific firmware base. Also if you change your CSC from the Android UI, it will insist on wiping your user data, so you'd need to use an app or manually change the CSC code if that matters to you.

Last edited:

sharingan

May 30, 2013
You should probably wait for an update from your carrier.

Flashing the actual Indonesian ROM as you proposed is problematic. It can be done, provided that the ROM is intended for the same model of phone i.e. 900H. To do it properly, you need to also flash the proper PIT file at the same time to guard against possible partition corruption. So if your phone is e.g. a 16 GB 900H, you need to use a PIT file from a 16 GB 900H that already has firmware installed from the Indonesian carrier. If you flash without the appropriate PIT file, you may well brick your phone as the poster above cited.

Another possibility is changing your CSC to another local carrier that is already rolling out the OTA update. That would likely be compatible but no one will guarantee it as that specific update may depend upon a carrier specific firmware base. Also if you change your CSC from the Android UI, it will insist on wiping your user data, so you'd need to use an app or manually change the CSC code if that matters to you.

Okk then
I will wait for my update

drakester09

Jan 10, 2012
I have cross flashed from different regions without issues.

What issues did you guys have when flashing a different region firmware? It should be good as long as it is for G900H

fffft

Jul 16, 2013
fffft said:
Flashing the actual Indonesian ROM as you proposed is problematic. It can be done, provided that the ROM is intended for the same model of phone i.e. 900H. To do it properly, you need to also flash the proper PIT file at the same time to guard against possible partition corruption. So if your phone is e.g. a 16 GB 900H, you need to use a PIT file from a 16 GB 900H that already has firmware installed from the Indonesian carrier. If you flash without the appropriate PIT file, you may well brick your phone

What issues did you guys have when flashing a different region firmware? It should be good as long as it is for G900H

If you had read either of the two posts above yours, you would have found an answer to your question.

Having made a handful of working flashes does not equate to a guarantee that it will work in all situations and cases. You are encouraging people to put their phones at risk. Your statement that it should be good as long as it is for a 900H is demonstrably wrong.

It does not always work. You've merely been lucky so far.

drakester09

Jan 10, 2012
If you had read either of the two posts above yours, you would have found an answer to your question.

Having made a handful of working flashes does not equate to a guarantee that it will work in all situations and cases. You are encouraging people to put their phones at risk. Your statement that it should be good as long as it is for a 900H is demonstrably wrong.

The condescending tone of yours is ill fitted to this conversation.

I read your post, now could you be so kind to actually read mine?
What issues did you guys have when flashing a different region firmware?
Can you please share some cases where this has happened?
Where it has been stated and proven that CSC differences can risk your phone?

If so then the CSC changer app is a risk and should be removed, but it isn't.

We are not talking about variants, of course T/L/S/F are not the same despite haviing Snapdragon and you might break something when cross flashing, basebands are different, etc etc.

All G900Hs are equal. The software that was built for one G900H will work in another.
The carrier/regional customizations COULD cause issues if there's a certain incompatibility between app data, but they are easily fixed by a wipe.

For once the PIT argument is useless, Odin pulls the current PIT from your phone to map partitions.
In old days the update was not as seamless and you might be forced to use a PIT file. That's not the case for current releases.

fffft

Jul 16, 2013

Uh huh. You give no rationale for encouraging people to do something very risky. One doesn't have to search very far in the forum to find people that have bricked phones doing what you suggest. Your last post at last offers an elaboration in which we find you relying upon several factual errors. Leaving me no choice but to disagree with you about about who is being condescending.

Firmware is installed as a set of partitioned images. In particular hidden.img contains carrier specific items in a partition that is known to vary in size amongst some carriers. There are numerable and repeatable cases of people flashing firmware from another carrier bricking their phones.

As you say, if you provide no explicit PIT file, Odin will map the partitions by drawing the current PIT from your phone. And that is exactly what corrupts partitions if the new firmware expects a larger partition for hidden.img. The existing PIT is not accurate for a new firmware image that requires a larger partition. And not surprisingly, corrupt partitions can amount to a bricked phone.

Anyone following your advice is playing Russian roulette with their phone. Sometimes it will work. And sometimes your advice will brick their phone.

gee2012

Recognized Contributor
Jul 13, 2010
Heerlen
Uh huh. You give no rationale for encouraging people to do something very risky. One doesn't have to search very far in the forum to find people that have bricked phones doing what you suggest. Your last post at last offers an elaboration in which we find you relying upon several factual errors. Leaving me no choice but to disagree with you about about who is being condescending.

Firmware is installed as a set of partitioned images. In particular hidden.img contains carrier specific items in a partition that is known to vary in size amongst some carriers. There are numerable and repeatable cases of people flashing firmware from another carrier bricking their phones.

As you say, if you provide no explicit PIT file, Odin will map the partitions by drawing the current PIT from your phone. And that is exactly what corrupts partitions if the new firmware expects a larger partition for hidden.img. The existing PIT is not accurate for a new firmware image that requires a larger partition. And not surprisingly, corrupt partitions can amount to a bricked phone.

Anyone following your advice is playing Russian roulette with their phone. Sometimes it will work. And sometimes your advice will brick their phone.

I crossflashed numerous factory roms with Odin on my S/S2/S3/S4/S5 and Note/2/3 from various (European) country`s and never had a issue with pit files ans csc files to be honest. Can`t imagine beeing luky like that all the time every time.

fffft

Jul 16, 2013
Can`t imagine beeing luky like that all the time every time.

That you cannot imagine it does not make it any less true. To argue so is a non sequitur, a formal error of logic or logical fallacy referred to as an Appeal to Probability.

Instead of trying to convince us that there is no risk because the particular carrier's you have flashed worked, address the facts. Show a factual error in the thesis e.g. that hidden partition must be an invariant size, that partitions can be overwritten with impunity or why firmware corruption cannot brick a phone.

Constructive arguments based on facts and structured reasoning would be welcome. If you can demonstrate that this information is incorrect and provide a better explanation, great. Unsupported statements that you don't think that it is, not so much.

If you wish to defend an unsupported assertion that it doesn't make sense to you, then you are welcome to have the last word and readers can draw their own conclusions. Given the notable lack of a fact based discussion in this thread, it isn't constructive to pursue it further.

gee2012

Recognized Contributor
Jul 13, 2010
Heerlen
That you cannot imagine it does not make it any less true. To argue so is a non sequitur, a formal error of logic or logical fallacy referred to as an Appeal to Probability.

Instead of trying to convince us that there is no risk because the particular carrier's you have flashed worked, address the facts. Show a factual error in the thesis e.g. that hidden partition must be an invariant size, that partitions can be overwritten with impunity or why firmware corruption cannot brick a phone.

Constructive arguments based on facts and structured reasoning would be welcome. If you can demonstrate that this information is incorrect and provide a better explanation, great. Unsupported statements that you don't think that it is, not so much.

If you wish to defend an unsupported assertion that it doesn't make sense to you, then you are welcome to have the last word and readers can draw their own conclusions. Given the notable lack of a fact based discussion in this thread, it isn't constructive to pursue it further.

Lets agree to disagree. Imo you don`t have to flash a pit file if you flash a compatible rom for your model with the same partition layout (16 or 32GB) everytime you flash a stock rom.

PS saw earlier posts by you and i want to point out none of my my advices/posts ever lead to a bricked device ;)

Last edited:

drakester09

Jan 10, 2012

I'm sorry to be a bother but could you please share any case where the mentioned situation has happened?

There must be at least one or several.

I'm all in for factual data so I'd love to see real scenarios where this has happened. It will take you much less time than to post such a long winded post and will prove your point.

Thanks in advance.

I crossflashed numerous factory roms with Odin on my S/S2/S3/S4/S5 and Note/2/3 from various (European) country`s and never had a issue with pit files ans csc files to be honest. Can`t imagine beeing luky like that all the time every time.

Exactly. Even I've done it like number of times. No issues whatsoever. Although I take care it's the correct model, I don't really bother about region.

I have cross flashed from different regions without issues.

Sent from 5th Galaxy

waleed794

Jul 12, 2012
Abbottabad
Hi . I have a S5 G900F. I had Alliance rom until recently I decided to bring it back to stock. So i downloaded the european firmware from sammobile.com and flashed it via mobile odin but now my phone is bricked. Another problem is that I cant flash any firmware or custom rom via pc odin it fails. when I press start these commands appear on the lower left corner
<ID:0/015> Added!!
<OSM> Enter CS for MD5..
<OSM> Check MD5.. Do not unplug the cable..
<OSM> Please wait..
<OSM> G900FXXU1ANG2_G900FOXA1ANG3_G900FXXU1ANG2_HOME.tar.md5 is valid.
<OSM> Checking MD5 finished Sucessfully..
<OSM> Leave CS..
<ID:0/015> Odin v.3 engine (ID:15)..
<ID:0/015> File analysis..
<ID:0/015> SetupConnection..
<ID:0/015> Initialzation..
<ID:0/015> Get PIT for mapping..
<ID:0/015> Firmware update start..
<ID:0/015> SingleDownload.
<ID:0/015> aboot.mbn
<ID:0/015> NAND Write Start!!
<ID:0/015> FAIL! (Auth)
<ID:0/015>
<ID:0/015> Complete(Write) operation failed.
<OSM> All threads completed. (succeed 0 / failed 1)

I also cant flash anything from recovery beacause when I to go recovery mode these lines are wriiten in red colour
E: unable to mount /system
E; unable to mount /sd card.
Can anyone help me please.

One more thing I ordered the mobile from an online store so I dont know the region of my mobile. on the back, under the battery it says made in vietnam.

casoft

Apr 15, 2010
Hi . I have a S5 G900F. I had Alliance rom until recently I decided to bring it back to stock. So i downloaded the european firmware from sammobile.com and flashed it via mobile odin but now my phone is bricked. Another problem is that I cant flash any firmware or custom rom via pc odin it fails. when I press start these commands appear on the lower left corner
<ID:0/015> Added!!
<OSM> Enter CS for MD5..
<OSM> Check MD5.. Do not unplug the cable..
<OSM> Please wait..
<OSM> G900FXXU1ANG2_G900FOXA1ANG3_G900FXXU1ANG2_HOME.tar.md5 is valid.
<OSM> Checking MD5 finished Sucessfully..
<OSM> Leave CS..
<ID:0/015> Odin v.3 engine (ID:15)..
<ID:0/015> File analysis..
<ID:0/015> SetupConnection..
<ID:0/015> Initialzation..
<ID:0/015> Get PIT for mapping..
<ID:0/015> Firmware update start..
<ID:0/015> SingleDownload.
<ID:0/015> aboot.mbn
<ID:0/015> NAND Write Start!!
<ID:0/015> FAIL! (Auth)
<ID:0/015>
<ID:0/015> Complete(Write) operation failed.
<OSM> All threads completed. (succeed 0 / failed 1)

I also cant flash anything from recovery beacause when I to go recovery mode these lines are wriiten in red colour
E: unable to mount /system
E; unable to mount /sd card.
Can anyone help me please.

One more thing I ordered the mobile from an online store so I dont know the region of my mobile. on the back, under the battery it says made in vietnam.

Im have the same problem!

Im have a S5 SM-G900M and try install G900F and have the same error.

Is possible install this?

sandeep20064096

Dec 14, 2012
Hello friends i have s5 4g vession G900I how can i enable 4g .i can see only WCDMA/GSMA i din't find LTE/4G in the settings

Sent from my SM-G900I using XDA Free mobile app

casoft

Apr 15, 2010
Hello friends i have s5 4g vession G900I how can i enable 4g .i can see only WCDMA/GSMA i din't find LTE/4G in the settings

Sent from my SM-G900I using XDA Free mobile app

Hi.

Im think your phone have a different chip
For example the difference into g900m and the g900f is the bands avaible
The g900m have only 900Mhz / 1800Mhz
The g900f have all bands

But in try install the firmware g900f into g900m but dont work.

amankmr03

Feb 25, 2012
Delhi
please help

Exactly. Even I've done it like number of times. No issues whatsoever. Although I take care it's the correct model, I don't really bother about region.

Sent from 5th Galaxy

i want to flash newest cambodia ROM to my S5 g900h ... so can i do it easily with odin or i want to change moedm firmware and bootloader first ?? and please help me ASAP
i rooted my S5 and i flash the recovery. but now it has error that it could not run cache partition ...
so i want to go back to stock ... tell me if i have to go to direct cambodia ROM or i have to flash india ROM first ??
please help me with this :(

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.

I read your post, now could you be so kind to actually read mine?
    What issues did you guys have when flashing a different region firmware?
    Can you please share some cases where this has happened?
    Where it has been stated and proven that CSC differences can risk your phone?

If so then the CSC changer app is a risk and should be removed, but it isn't.

We are not talking about variants, of course T/L/S/F are not the same despite haviing Snapdragon and you might break something when cross flashing, basebands are different, etc etc.

All G900Hs are equal. The software that was built for one G900H will work in another.
    The carrier/regional customizations COULD cause issues if there's a certain incompatibility between app data, but they are easily fixed by a wipe.

For once the PIT argument is useless, Odin pulls the current PIT from your phone to map partitions.
    In old days the update was not as seamless and you might be forced to use a PIT file. That's not the case for current releases.
    No, you can't do that. This will brick your phone..
    Wait for your regional update..