Different versions of Xperia 5ii

Search This thread

xtess3ractx

Feb 23, 2014
Winnipeg
Sony Xperia 5 II
Hey guys Canadian here. I currently own a AS72. I find the reception to be ok(Telus), but very often it says I only have 1 bar but can reboot and have 3-4. So I'm thinking because it's not a NA tuned rom hence some reception issues.

Anyways I'm wondering if it'd be beneficial for me to flash the AS62 firmware? Since Canada has many of the same bands as USA. If so, how would I go about that? I was also wondering what are some of the risk or consequences if I do so?

Mar 4, 2020
Hey guys Canadian here. I currently own a AS72. I find the reception to be ok(Telus), but very often it says I only have 1 bar but can reboot and have 3-4. So I'm thinking because it's not a NA tuned rom hence some reception issues.

Anyways I'm wondering if it'd be beneficial for me to flash the AS62 firmware? Since Canada has many of the same bands as USA. If so, how would I go about that? I was also wondering what are some of the risk or consequences if I do so?
I dont think anyone on the forums has flashed mismatched firmware yet but I could be wrong. I also dont know if AS62 model has volte in canada (we need people to test). If stock AS62 has volte in canada it would be benificial to flash 62 firmware on 72 variant. So far nobody has tried and reported back.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    @Cptnfruitloops - You have HK or TW. I can't tell which one directly - or at least from shared info.

@LOCKDOC_UA - Did you try to explore firmwares? I guess it can help you with your effort.

Very interesting for identification is also "LTA version" (Yeh I dumped it from FWs). At least for XQ-AS72, where it can be used for distinguish CN from SEA and from TW/HK (they share same elabel). It won't help to distinguish XQ-AS52 versions though, since they share same elabel.

Anyway, those labels are quite interesting in few ways.
    For example TW/HK version contains information about charging voltages/currents:

1616075897755.png

And for example Japanese versions (SO-52A) contains FM radio (If you check its FCC ID: PY7-08372L https://fccid.io/PY7-08372L - compare with European version FCC ID: PY7-310Z https://fccid.io/PY7-30637Z which doesn't have it.
    1616076096947.png
    1616076342857.png
    XQ-AS52 8\128Gb Dual Sim EU (Customized EEA) Silver
    XQ-AS72 8\256Gb Dual Sim (HK I think) Blue

(You can also see my 1 bar reception even though there's a cell tower 50 meters outside my window)
    Screenshot_20210317-141143.png
    @LOCKDOC_UA
    Its simple - they decided to turn it off since it (modem HW) doesn't support 5G bands used in US (It support only bands 1, 3, 8, 28, 77, 78 - none of those will work in US).

Because of that you can't market it as 5G phone in US - Support would be overwhelmed with questions from customers - I bought this 5G phone and it doesn't work with my operator? Which operator should I use to get 5G? We are sorry - none will work. So to avoid it they simply decided to turn it off.

Also forget 5G roaming - It doesn't work anywhere yet - so even keeping surprise overseas 5G doesn't make any sense.

@Cptnfruitloops - I guess its current used modem configuration, but may be I am wrong.
    Last question. What type of wall charger did you get inside your box? Was your box sealed when you get it? UK\HK or CHINA\TW\US?
    View attachment 5255265
    box was not sealed because I bought it second hand but it came with the UK plug and the box was made to fit the UK plug so im quite sure its a HK model
    @Cptnfruitloops - You have HK or TW. I can't tell which one directly - or at least from shared info.

@LOCKDOC_UA - Did you try to explore firmwares? I guess it can help you with your effort.

Very interesting for identification is also "LTA version" (Yeh I dumped it from FWs). At least for XQ-AS72, where it can be used for distinguish CN from SEA and from TW/HK (they share same elabel). It won't help to distinguish XQ-AS52 versions though, since they share same elabel.

Anyway, those labels are quite interesting in few ways.
    For example TW/HK version contains information about charging voltages/currents:

1616075897755.png

And for example Japanese versions (SO-52A) contains FM radio (If you check its FCC ID: PY7-08372L https://fccid.io/PY7-08372L - compare with European version FCC ID: PY7-310Z https://fccid.io/PY7-30637Z which doesn't have it.
    1616076096947.png
    1616076342857.png
    It seems based on product codes and xpericheck:

XQ-AS52 - EUROPE - 128Gb, 5G
    XQ-AS62 - US - 128Gb, no 5G
    XQ-AS72 - China/HK/Tw, 256Gb, 5G
    XQ-AS52 8\128Gb Dual Sim EU (Customized EEA) Silver
    XQ-AS72 8\256Gb Dual Sim (HK I think) Blue

(You can also see my 1 bar reception even though there's a cell tower 50 meters outside my window)
    Screenshot_20210317-141143.png
    @LOCKDOC_UA
    Its simple - they decided to turn it off since it (modem HW) doesn't support 5G bands used in US (It support only bands 1, 3, 8, 28, 77, 78 - none of those will work in US).

Because of that you can't market it as 5G phone in US - Support would be overwhelmed with questions from customers - I bought this 5G phone and it doesn't work with my operator? Which operator should I use to get 5G? We are sorry - none will work. So to avoid it they simply decided to turn it off.

Also forget 5G roaming - It doesn't work anywhere yet - so even keeping surprise overseas 5G doesn't make any sense.

@Cptnfruitloops - I guess its current used modem configuration, but may be I am wrong.
Our Apps
Get our official app!
The best way to access XDA on your phone
Nav Gestures
Add swipe gestures to any Android
One Handed Mode
Eases uses one hand with your phone