DIRECTV NOW app for Shield TV?

Search This thread

novawaly

Aug 13, 2018
Not the most major issue but does the volume slider not work for you guys on the nvidia when using the Direct TV now app?

It always says "This app is set for surround sound. Use the TV remote to adjust the volume". Ive looked all over the settings but dont see anything related to surround sound etc. The weird thing is when I watch my DVRed shows, the volume slider on the remote works just fine.

I was wondering if this happens to anyone else and if there is a fix for it? Im using 2.0.12.01538

ranova

Jul 19, 2010
Not to sound stupid, but why would someone want/need to use the FireTV version of Hulu on the Shield TV when Hulu is available for the Shield TV already?

I use it all the time with no problems.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

In addition to what others have said, the Android TV hulu app doesnt support Live TV, whereas the FireTV version does

noclue41

Apr 22, 2011
St. Paul, MN
so instead of using adb, i found a different GPS faker app (https://apkpure.com/fake-gps/com.blogspot.newapphorizons.fakegps).

Enable Developer mode
install the app from the link i posted
in developer settings, choose the Fake GPS for mock locations
i found that you'll need the coordinates, so head over to google maps on your phone / pc and get the latitude and longitude of where you'd like to set your location
open the Fake GPS app and search - plug in your coordinates.
click start
profit
Yep, this worked for me! Glad I checked this thread before I adb-ed. Much thanks.

Side note: is it normal that DirecTV Now does not have local channels on Android TV? Even with 'fake' good location?

Reactions: marc.ientilucci

safarial

May 9, 2009
Not the most major issue but does the volume slider not work for you guys on the nvidia when using the Direct TV now app?

It always says "This app is set for surround sound. Use the TV remote to adjust the volume". Ive looked all over the settings but dont see anything related to surround sound etc. The weird thing is when I watch my DVRed shows, the volume slider on the remote works just fine.

I was wondering if this happens to anyone else and if there is a fix for it? Im using 2.0.12.01538

It's in the Shield settings. I can't remember exactly where, but there is a setting in the system settings for surround sound that needs to be set to "never" to allow the slider to work.

HDCowboy

Dec 20, 2011

I noticed the same thing when using AT&T's WatchTV app which is supposed to be a spin off of DirectTV Now, what I wound up doing was going into the Shield settings > Display & Sound > and then Volume Control and Change IR Setup, and set it up where my Volume Control now controls the sound on my stereo system. You can just as well set it up where it controls the volume on your TV as well.

rugene

Sep 2, 2017
local channels on Shield

I'm new to the thread.....
after reading the thread, I get the impression that the beta Directv NOW app may not support local channels on Shield?
I am thinking of giving it a try (local channels on the released roku app are supported for me)
However, it would be a deal breaker if local channels are not available on the shield.

In any case, what's the skinny on when and if the Directv NOW app for shield will be released?

thanks

amaddux

May 7, 2011
I get all my locals on the Shield using the sideloaded Amazon app

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

Phishy71411

Sep 9, 2018
Downloaded the app with mod to avoid downloading Amazon storefront.
Keep getting error that DirecTV needs to know location so it can work. What is the best way to get around this? Can't get floater to work cause it needs overlay permission, which I can't figure out on the shield TV.

esema1o

Dec 12, 2010
Ther small blur in the first 20 sec when u change channel then go always
Anyone havin this problem or just me

amaddux

May 7, 2011
I enabled the app location permission and made sure the shield setting for network location was enabled, but I'm using the unmodded version. Early on I had too many issues with the modded version.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

jinx8402

Dec 23, 2009
Keep getting error that DirecTV needs to know location so it can work. What is the best way to get around this? Can't get floater to work cause it needs overlay permission, which I can't figure out on the shield TV.
On Shield and MiBox you should be able to just set app permissions to allow location services. Only the Sony Bravia TVs need to use a mock location app, because it appears it is a firmware issue of the OS no pulling the wifi location for apps that require it.

vesati

Mar 30, 2006
www.vesati.com
Yeah, I'm done with DirecTV Now.
It's been interesting trying to keep it working on my Android TV, but all the bugs, and the fact that it STILL isn't officially supported, and then the price increase...
No. It's just not worth it to me anymore.

Good luck to you all still hanging in there.
I hope it pays off.

ACHILLES R32

Dec 28, 2010
VA
Follow these steps that dcfnet posted

Confirmed on Nvidea Shield usually wired connection only(usually). Using the latest Modified STABLE release as of today.
- Uninstalled Directv Now app
- Turned OFF Ethernet
- Connected to WiFi
- Nividia Shield settings - Personal -> Location -> use WiFi to estimate location.
- Restarted device for drill
- Installed latest Modified STABLE software. DON'T OPEN after install
- Settings -> Apps -> DirectvNow -> Enable both storage and location permissions
- Launch app and sign in
- Switch back to Ethernet
After two reboots, I can launch the latest Modified STABLE app without being hassled by the location error, or installing any other software. I'm in the US. By the way, the audio/video mismatch is still present, but seems a little better. Maybe wishful thinking :)

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

---------- Post added at 12:51 AM ---------- Previous post was at 12:49 AM ----------

According to Amazon, the latest version is 2.0.12.01538 (August 24). The version you stated is for Android mobile, not Android TV.
Ther new update version
I'll uploaded the latest release when it comes out they tend the be either a few days apart or are release same day. But as abuf stated the current version up is the latest

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

shoman94

Recognized Contributor
Mar 27, 2009
Maine
Something I found. If I close the app while watching The Weather Channel, the next time I go to open it and it loads TWC when I open the app... . It crashes within 10 seconds back to the home screen. I have to quickly change the channel then I can go back and it doesn't crash.

Sent from my LG-H932 using Tapatalk

Reactions: moopile

Top Liked Posts