DirecTV Now - No love for root users! [update: there's love now]

Search This thread

jkchr1s

Dec 30, 2014
Chattanooga, TN
Update: Thanks to spotmark's discovery, DirecTV Now is working with root.

Hide My Root Apk works. :good:

Just installed and hid SU. I'm rooted on 5.0.5. Did you clear cache and data on Now after you installed Hide My Root?

There's a write-up and link to the apk for this on aftvnews: http://www.aftvnews.com/how-to-use-directv-now-on-a-rooted-amazon-fire-tv-or-fire-tv-stick/

If your rooted FireTV can't see the DirecTV Now app, use this link: https://www.amazon.com/AT-T-Services-Inc-DIRECTV/dp/B01J62Q632 and sign in to your Amazon account. On the right side, select your rooted device and click "Deliver".

----
Original post:

I signed up today for DirecTV Now only to be greeted on my FireTV with the following error:

Code:
This video failed to load. Restart the app and launch your content again. Or search for Error 40 in the Help Center. (QP1005)

Hrmm.. that's weird. So I looked up Error 40, and it says there's a network problem. I tried it on my non-rooted Nexus 6P and it worked flawlessly. So I jumped in to logcat and found some interesting messages:

Code:
I/drm_oal ( 4862): IsDeviceRooted: 0x0000000000000002
and
Code:
D/NewRelicGateway(14071): ERROR event was recorded. Error description = Failed preparing the player because device security check failed due to: (FileSystem)(com.quickplay.vstb.core:1005)

So I installed xposed and RootCloak 2 hoping it would help. I added it to the list of apps and it still had the same problem.

Next thing I did was pull the apk from my Fire TV. After some digging, I found that lib/armeabi/libdrmagent_downloadable_jni.so had some interesting strings in it, including a check for Cyanogen:
Code:
ro.build.product
ro.build.tags,release-keys,OnePlus3#%?OnePlus2#%?OnePlus#%?Z26CL#%?STUDIO_C,ro.build.type,user,#%?
ro.build.display.id,cm_,#%?,ro.build.display.id,cyanogen,#%?,ro.build.type,debug,#%?,ro.build.type,userdebug,#%?,ro.build.host,cyanogenmod,A0001#%?
and a list of strings for paths it might check:
Code:
/system/bin/su,#%?,/system/xbin/su,#%?,/sbin/su,#%?,/system/su,#%?,/system/bin/.ext/.su,#%?,/system/usr/we-need-root/su-backup,#%?,/system/xbin/mu,#%?
su,#%?,busybox,#%?
type %s
test -u `whence -p %s`
/data,#%?,/system,#%?,/system/bin,#%?,/system/sbin,#%?,/system/xbin,#%?,/vendor/bin,#%?,/sys,#%?,/sbin,#%?,/etc,#%?,/proc,#%?,/dev,#%?
/isdrmXXXXXX

Why do they even care if you're rooted?? So lame...

Since they appear to be checking for root in a C/C++ .so file, is Xposed useless here?

Last edited:

d3adpool

Dec 9, 2007
I signed up today for DirecTV Now only to be greeted on my FireTV with the following error:

Code:
This video failed to load. Restart the app and launch your content again. Or search for Error 40 in the Help Center. (QP1005)

Hrmm.. that's weird. So I looked up Error 40, and it says there's a network problem. I tried it on my non-rooted Nexus 6P and it worked flawlessly. So I jumped in to logcat and found some interesting messages:

Code:
and
Code:
D/NewRelicGateway(14071): ERROR event was recorded. Error description = Failed preparing the player because device security check failed due to: (FileSystem)(com.quickplay.vstb.core:1005)

So I installed xposed and RootCloak 2 hoping it would help. I added it to the list of apps and it still had the same problem.

Next thing I did was pull the apk from my Fire TV. After some digging, I found that lib/armeabi/libdrmagent_downloadable_jni.so had some interesting strings in it, including a check for Cyanogen:
Code:
ro.build.product
ro.build.tags,release-keys,OnePlus3#%?OnePlus2#%?OnePlus#%?Z26CL#%?STUDIO_C,ro.build.type,user,#%?
ro.build.display.id,cm_,#%?,ro.build.display.id,cyanogen,#%?,ro.build.type,debug,#%?,ro.build.type,userdebug,#%?,ro.build.host,cyanogenmod,A0001#%?
Code:
/system/bin/su,#%?,/system/xbin/su,#%?,/sbin/su,#%?,/system/su,#%?,/system/bin/.ext/.su,#%?,/system/usr/we-need-root/su-backup,#%?,/system/xbin/mu,#%?
su,#%?,busybox,#%?
type %s
test -u `whence -p %s`
/data,#%?,/system,#%?,/system/bin,#%?,/system/sbin,#%?,/system/xbin,#%?,/vendor/bin,#%?,/sys,#%?,/sbin,#%?,/etc,#%?,/proc,#%?,/dev,#%?
/isdrmXXXXXX

Since they appear to be checking for root in a C/C++ .so file, is Xposed useless here?
I've read other posts from fellow rooted ftv users reporting the same thing. It would seem as if directv is following suit with PSVue in blocking rooted firetvs. It could be possible that it just won't run on any fireos older than 5.2.2.0

Reactions: ryknow27

ryknow27

Oct 19, 2009
Same issue here. I hope someone figures out a workaround soon. I may just have to wait for my Apple TV to arrive.

I've read other posts from fellow rooted ftv users reporting the same thing. It would seem as if directv is following suit with PSVue in blocking rooted firetvs. It could be possible that it just won't run on any fireos older than 5.2.2.0

I was able to get the PSVue up and running using RootCloak but ended up cancelling it due to them ditching Viacom.

eureca

Nov 27, 2012
I tried Hide My Root 4.0 on a nexus 6 with android 7.0 and the app i guess doesn't work on on 7.0. Which makes sense since it hasn't been updated since 2013. It can't find my root at all.

I ended up just unrooting to try directtv now since I am currently not using the root for anything specific, but obviously I am going to want to root my phone again. Hopefully there is something found to bypass this on android 7.0.

Not even sure why they want to stop root users. I paid just like everyone else. Why crap on us? I am definitely less likely to recommend the service in the future.

spotmark

Feb 18, 2010
Massachusetts
Samsung Galaxy Z Fold 4
I tried Hide My Root 4.0 on a nexus 6 with android 7.0 and the app i guess doesn't work on on 7.0. Which makes sense since it hasn't been updated since 2013. It can't find my root at all.

I ended up just unrooting to try directtv now since I am currently not using the root for anything specific, but obviously I am going to want to root my phone again. Hopefully there is something found to bypass this on android 7.0.

Not even sure why they want to stop root users. I paid just like everyone else. Why crap on us? I am definitely less likely to recommend the service in the future.

I believe I saw someone post that Sony does it as well with Vue.

anips

Jul 30, 2011
I unrooted my phone just so I could test it out, but it still doesn't work for me because I'm on CM13.1 and I think there is a check on Cyanogen too? That really sucks, I hope someone figures a way around it.

loloudoudara

Feb 29, 2012
I've tried using RootCloak with the keyword 'cyanogen' added to the blacklist as well as the string 'com.att.tv' added to the list of apps to block, alas without any success.

I also tried suhide with a fresh install of Marshmallow and systemless root, but it didn't work.

I am currently running 6.0.1, rooted 2.76, with Xposed installed.

Last edited:

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Here's the process I used:

Disclaimer: This method is with phh superuser and magisk v9 with Magisk Manager 2.5 (haven't tried it on SuperSu, but might work with suhide). Also, my phone is a Nexus 6, I was on 7.1.1 Nitrogen OS build 12/06 with latest Dec. 5, 2016 android security patch.

Before doing the steps, clear data and cache on your direcTV Now app

1.) Flash the ROM, flash Gapps, flashed unSu to remove the ROM's built in Superuser, flashed magisk v9, flashed phh superuser r266-2, boot phone
    2.) Installed magisk manager.
    3.) Activated magiskhide through magisk manager
    4.) rebooted device
    5.) In magisk manager, went into magiskhide, checked off DirecTV Now app, checked off supersu
    6.) rebooted device
    7.) went into build.prop in /system
    8.) changed ro.build.type=userdebug to ro.build.type=user
    9.) changed ro.build.tags=test-keys to ro.build.tags=release-keys
    Update: Thanks to spotmark's discovery, DirecTV Now is working with root.

Hide My Root Apk works. :good:

Just installed and hid SU. I'm rooted on 5.0.5. Did you clear cache and data on Now after you installed Hide My Root?

There's a write-up and link to the apk for this on aftvnews: http://www.aftvnews.com/how-to-use-directv-now-on-a-rooted-amazon-fire-tv-or-fire-tv-stick/

If your rooted FireTV can't see the DirecTV Now app, use this link: https://www.amazon.com/AT-T-Services-Inc-DIRECTV/dp/B01J62Q632 and sign in to your Amazon account. On the right side, select your rooted device and click "Deliver".

----
    Original post:

Code:

Code:
    and
    Code:

Code:
    ro.build.product
    Code:
    su,#%?,busybox,#%?
    type %s
    test -u `whence -p %s`
    /isdrmXXXXXX

Anyone have a fix? i have tried multiple versions with no success. loading times are way to long. i hope someone has a fix for this. Id really appreciate someones help.
    https://www.apkmirror.com/apk/att-s...now-1-0-9-3205-android-apk-download/download/

Sent from my LG-H830 using XDA-Developers Legacy app

Code:

Code:
    and
    Code:

Code:
    ro.build.product
    Code:
    su,#%?,busybox,#%?
    type %s
    test -u `whence -p %s`
    /isdrmXXXXXX

So the loading times are due to the latest version of DirecTV now? Reverting back to an old version fixes that?