• Introducing XDA Computing: Discussion zones for Hardware, Software, and more!    Check it out!
  • Fill out your device list and let everyone know which phones you have!    Edit Your Device Inventory

Dirty Flashed Lineage 14.1 us996 on Verizon vs995 = Success

Search This thread

warwagon19792

Mar 16, 2010
So I've been really wanting something with the February security updates to patch the PNG vulnerability. So I bought a used (like new) vs995 on eBay for ($109) .. downgraded it and unlocked the bootloader. Yesterday I flashed Lineage OS 14.1 for it but today I see they released all the new Lineage 14.1 roms for the v20 but they deleted the vs995 section (The last update it had was December 2018).

So I downloaded the us996 rom unzipped it and in META-INF\com\google\android\updater-script

replaced everything on this line that said us996 with vs995 this way, it wouldn't bomb out when trying to flash it via TWRP saying it's incompatible.

Before
assert(getprop("ro.product.device") == "us996" || getprop("ro.build.product") == "us996" || abort("E3004: This package is for device: vs995; this device is " + getprop("ro.product.device") + "."););

After
assert(getprop("ro.product.device") == "vs995" || getprop("ro.build.product") == "vs995" || abort("E3004: This package is for device: vs995; this device is " + getprop("ro.product.device") + "."););

I rezipped it with 7zip, dirty flashed it and after about 10 mins or so the boot process had finished.

All of the following works

Making calls
Receiving calls
Text messaging
Mobile Data (Speed tested it and was only getting 1.8 - 2 megs, the bar says LTE, so not sure if it's a signal issue since I don't really know what normal is seeing as I don't use mobile data hardly at all.
Camera
Wifi
Bluetooth

Last edited:

Phoenix591

Oct 15, 2017
yeah, the vs995 and us996 are 99% identical, only difference seems to be in the software and bootloader, and maybe tiny modem differences ( but the vs995 and us996 modem seem to be the most similar to each other). Also, lineage 15.1, although still unofficial, is pretty stable and has everything working that lineage 14 does ( and can be dirty flashed from 14.1 as long as you also flash to-x86cpu.zip which is in the same place as the 15.1 downloads and updated google apps ) (although the IR blaster might not work consistently until you flash gamma kernel)

Reactions: warwagon19792

warwagon19792

Mar 16, 2010
yeah, the vs995 and us996 are 99% identical, only difference seems to be in the software and bootloader, and maybe tiny modem differences ( but the vs995 and us996 modem seem to be the most similar to each other). Also, lineage 15.1, although still unofficial, is pretty stable and has everything working that lineage 14 does ( and can be dirty flashed from 14.1 as long as you also flash to-x86cpu.zip which is in the same place as the 15.1 downloads and updated google apps ) (although the IR blaster might not work consistently until you flash gamma kernel)

I was going to go that route, but it still had security updates from December 2018. I'm not even really concerned with Root, I just want security updates. Now I'm aware there is security with other aspects of a phone such as a modem and other firmware. But at a minimum, I would like the latest Android Security updates.

Last edited:

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.