• Introducing XDA Computing: Discussion zones for Hardware, Software, and more!    Check it out!

Dirty Unicorns ROM discussion

Search This thread

Death.From.Above

Jun 27, 2016
OnePlus 3
Xiaomi Poco F3
I've made a Magisk module with 90 more (free) fonts, for those like me who never have enough fonts to choose from. It replaces the original Du-Fonts.apk with a pimped up version.

You can find the module here:
https://forum.xda-developers.com/apps/magisk/module-fonts-havoc-2-0-skydragon-t3882764

I am so looking forward to the upcoming DU versions!
They already had a rc build of pie available the last time I checked...

Sent from my ONEPLUS A3003 using Tapatalk

G

GuestK00132

In the last months I have used several Pie versions for my OnePlus 3T, like MSM Xtended, HolyDragon, Nitrogen OS, Statix, GZOSP Pie beta.
When on Oreo I already had Dirty Unicorns as one of my favorites, but because it was not supported on XDA it seemed as a custom rom which was not following some ''custom rom" rules and not in line with other rom's, kernels etc....

Finally yesterday I made the switch from Statix to DU, which I see as 'the mother' of Statix, as Statix does have a lot of DU stuff implemented in it's rom.
I have to say, even as a release candidate, latest build is polished, stable and fast. I do like the philosophy of not integrating aosp app's, as mostly they are removed after install.
So no dialer, contacts, gallery etc..., you have to install yourself.
Though, when you feel comfortable with going another way and doing it yourself, DU seems to be one of the best choice you can get.
For me it was time I guess....

See you again at Discord!

sandeep_kumar

Feb 21, 2017
Indore
Is encryption supported in latest update. I mean I m coming from oos. No need to wipe internal storage ? Thanx.

I think NOT,

I installed it with 5.0.8 FW but after hitting reboot system, Dirty unicorn boot animation comes and looks like it will finally boot to system for initial set up but suddenly it goes to TWRP.
I used both the recoveries blue spark and TWRP 3.2.3-10 with clean flash off course.

Soyunamortz

Jun 5, 2015
I think NOT,

I installed it with 5.0.8 FW but after hitting reboot system, Dirty unicorn boot animation comes and looks like it will finally boot to system for initial set up but suddenly it goes to TWRP.
I used both the recoveries blue spark and TWRP 3.2.3-10 with clean flash off course.
I have the same problem I haven't been able to flash a pie ROM

---------- Post added at 04:15 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:59 PM ----------

I think that it would be useful to have a thread to discuss Dirty Unicorns ROM here at XDA forums.

I'm testing the current weekly at the moment, with stock kernel and can say it is very, very smooth. Really worth a try, believe me!
How to flash the pie 13.1 on my one plus 3T on latest beta , what recovery to use ?

janusofborg

Dec 6, 2014
OnePlus 8
I have the same problem I haven't been able to flash a pie ROM

---------- Post added at 04:15 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:59 PM ----------

How to flash the pie 13.1 on my one plus 3T on latest beta , what recovery to use ?

I can confirm you must be decrypted to flash DU. After trying several different revisions of TWRP, I finally went on Discord to ask and someone already had. They stated you must be decrypted (at least on OP3, didn't look at other devices).

I used Holy Angel's TWRP the last time, but I think 3.2.3-0 works too (I think the official 3.2.3-1 had an issue with encrypting, which obviously doesn't affect this, but if I remember right from reading the twrp thread, you'd have to format to encrypt correctly on any other ROM).

For the record, I loved DU while I had it on my phone. Good combination of essential features (theming, button customization, etc) without bogging it down. It also has an enforcing SElinux. I moved to Carbon recently when they went official because why not. Otherwise, I'd probably still be on there.

Last edited:

Soyunamortz

Jun 5, 2015
I can confirm you must be decrypted to flash DU. After trying several different revisions of TWRP, I finally went on Discord to ask and someone already had. They stated you must be decrypted (at least on OP3, didn't look at other devices).

I used Holy Angel's TWRP the last time, but I think 3.2.3-0 works too (I think the official 3.2.3-1 had an issue with encrypting, which obviously doesn't affect this, but if I remember right from reading the twrp thread, you'd have to format to encrypt correctly on any other ROM).

For the record, I loved DU while I had it on my phone. Good combination of essential features (theming, button customization, etc) without bogging it down. It also has an enforcing SElinux. I moved to Carbon recently when they went official because why not. Otherwise, I'd probably still be on there.
Where is that recovery ... There is so many versions around that I don't know what to use

Reccaflame87

Jun 8, 2019
No new offical...
Last from 20190405 :(

They released an Official for May but it was not booting. So they removed it from the download server to verify what was going wrong. They released a rc build for may which was working fine. They did not release an official for may as rc was working fine. A new official build was released yesterday as per their usual schedule of first Friday after Google releasing security patches for that month.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    I think that it would be useful to have a thread to discuss Dirty Unicorns ROM here at XDA forums.

I'm testing the current weekly at the moment, with stock kernel and can say it is very, very smooth. Really worth a try, believe me!
    I never figured out how to set fastlane.. can you help me?
    Sure. Open a kernel manager like EX (paid) or kernel adiutor (free). Go to CPU settings and select Blu_active as your governor. Go to Governor settings. Switch fastlane from 0 to 1 to enable it. 50 should be the default threshold. If you set the value to a lower number, CPU will ramp up more aggressively.
    I played around with the settings on DU and Blu Spark kernel a lot. Fastlane enabled with a threshold of 70 only on the small cluster is a configuration, I enjoyed a lot. It doesn't ruin your battery life, while improving scrolling performance noticeably. There is no perfect configuration, experiment with it until you find something that suits your usage.
    Hope this helps you out.
    New weekly is available!
    Just clean installed the latest RC build during lunch time: it runs really well and I can confirm that the kernel looks fresh.
    I repeated my quick scrolling test with graph bars and immediately switched (again) to conservative governor which gives less dropped frames.
    It is beyond me how other more famous governors still don't guarantee the same performance of conservative, but I'm really happy with this setup.

There is no mystery in this. Conservative governors scale slowly. While the "famous" ones scale quickly.

Whenever there is a load, the cpu should scale up quickly, finish the task and then go back to sleep asap. Conservative governors scale up and down slowly.

Now how this affects the "scrolling test". We perform the test by rapidly scrolling up and down. The "famous governors" will try scale up and then quickly come down too. As the frequencies drop you may see a few frames go above the green 60fps line.

Conservative govs due to their slow nature main relatively stable frequencies during scrolling which gives them an advantage in fps.

But in real world, I don't see a scenario where we need to scroll up and down like we do in scrolling test. Thus the benefit of using conservative appears to be very limited. Secondly as long as you are below the green line (60fps) it doesn't matter. Our eyes cannot differentiate between 70 and 80 fps. But conservative governors here are at a loss because during heavy loads such as gaming, sometimes the scaling is too slow resulting in framedrops and freezes.

I have been experimenting with interactive + zzmoove (another conservative governor) since even before XDA wrote about it. Yes it feels smooth but games sometimes lag.

-----
    This is just a crude explaination which I found out from my experience. If anybody has a better explanation, they are welcome to share it