• Introducing XDA Computing: Discussion zones for Hardware, Software, and more!    Check it out!
  • Fill out your device list and let everyone know which phones you have!    Edit Your Device Inventory

Disable Big Cores on Nexus 5X to get out of bootloop?

Search This thread

rcoliveirajr

Yesterday my Nexus 5X got into bootloop (Yes, the problem that mostly ones are getting), I can get into Bootloader, but not system/TWRP, but I can get it booted in TWRP when placed in freezer.
Since Nexus 5x and LG G4 share the same hardware, and G4 is having the same bootloop problem, which can be fixed by disabling the Dual Core CPU (AKA Big Cores) and running only on the Quad Core CPU, probably Nexus 5X would work too.
The problem is that for disabling them is that it requires a .TOT file + LG software flash tool, which I'm aware of trying to use, and maybe wouldn't even work, the other method seem to do this:

/sys/devices/system/cpu/cpu4/online (open file and change from a one to a zero)
/sys/devices/system/cpu/cpu5/online (open file and change from a one to a zero)

So I would boot the phone in TWRP and let in there in the freezer, and with the USB attached to my laptop, and then adb pull the files, edit, and adb push again, what do you guys think? anyone with bootloop would like to try?

Rhoban

Jan 8, 2015
Dobra
If you still have warranty, LG are offering full refunds since the 5X production stopped and no replacement parts are being made anymore.

rcoliveirajr

If you still have warranty, LG are offering full refunds since the 5X production stopped and no replacement parts are being made anymore.

I bought my Nexus 5X on BestBuy when I was on the US, but I live in Brazil, where they don't even sell the phone.. I tried contacting LG US through their website support, but didn't get any email from them.

Reactions: c-non

sfhub

Oct 23, 2008
That isn't exactly how it was working.

Some people sent in their 5x to some service center who then replied offering to refund purchase price because parts weren't available.

Other people sent to other service centers who did have parts and weren't offered that option.

There was no general policy from LG to offer full refunds for all 5x submitted for warranty repair.

---------- Post added at 05:21 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:18 PM ----------

Yesterday my Nexus 5X got into bootloop (Yes, the problem that mostly ones are getting), I can get into Bootloader, but not system/TWRP, but I can get it booted in TWRP when placed in freezer.
Since Nexus 5x and LG G4 share the same hardware, and G4 is having the same bootloop problem, which can be fixed by disabling the Dual Core CPU (AKA Big Cores) and running only on the Quad Core CPU, probably Nexus 5X would work too.
The problem is that for disabling them is that it requires a .TOT file + LG software flash tool, which I'm aware of trying to use, and maybe wouldn't even work, the other method seem to do this:

/sys/devices/system/cpu/cpu4/online (open file and change from a one to a zero)
/sys/devices/system/cpu/cpu5/online (open file and change from a one to a zero)

So I would boot the phone in TWRP and let in there in the freezer, and with the USB attached to my laptop, and then adb pull the files, edit, and adb push again, what do you guys think? anyone with bootloop would like to try?
I suggest you do like the above poster mentioned and try the pre-built kernel that disables the big cores:

http://forum.xda-developers.com/nexus-5x/help/bootloped-hw-please-try-t3505392

Rhoban

Jan 8, 2015
Dobra
That isn't exactly how it was working.

Some people sent in their 5x to some service center who then replied offering to refund purchase price because parts weren't available.

Other people sent to other service centers who did have parts and weren't offered that option.

There was no general policy from LG to offer full refunds for all 5x submitted for warranty repair.

That may be true, but production of the device has been stopped. So that means that repair centers will run out of replacement parts soon, especially with the various devices going into this bootloop lately.

sfhub

Oct 23, 2008
That may be true, but production of the device has been stopped. So that means that repair centers will run out of replacement parts soon, especially with the various devices going into this bootloop lately.
The details are actually important. For example if the 32GB MB is still in stock and you send in the phone, they might make you wait 2 weeks then send the phone back repaired (or not repaired making you do a 2nd round)

If on the other hand you know your service center is out of 16GB MB then you can safely send it in and have a good chance of getting a refund offer.

Also whenever you send the phone in, you have the chance LG will pull the fake water damage trick on you. A couple of people had this happen to them. This is the latest:
https://www.reddit.com/r/nexus5x/comments/5fuy99/sent_to_lg_for_bootlooping_claims_phone_is_water/
In that case, you might never get the offer for a full refund.

This is kind of a hit or miss game unless you have prior information for your service center.

There were people who sent in a 32GB model and it was repaired rather than getting the offer for the refund.

Also it is unclear about the H791 part for international.

Sure *eventually* they will all run out of parts, but the details matter about when and where because some people are getting close to the end of their warranty.

Now if LG had actually officially admitted the problem and said we will refund your phone if it gets hit with hardware bootloop, then I'd feel confident telling people they can get their money back.

Last edited:

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.

I bought my Nexus 5X on BestBuy when I was on the US, but I live in Brazil, where they don't even sell the phone.. I tried contacting LG US through their website support, but didn't get any email from them.