Disable long hold power button to reset phone?

Search This thread

epicboy

Nov 21, 2013
Is there a way to disable the hard reset caused by holding the power button for 7-10 seconds? I used the xposed additions to disable the power button, but it does not disable the hard reset from the very long power button hold. The reason I want to disable it is because my power button seems defected and it constantly presses it on its own which causes my phone to reboot or shut down. I used xposed to disable the power button and it helps, but the shut downs and reboots still occur from time to time.

DocHoliday77

May 10, 2011
HuntsVegas!!!
I highly doubt it. That's going to be something hard coded into the processor or something along those lines. On just about any system you need to have some way of performing a hard reset even when everything else is royally screwed up. Not having that function is just a bad idea IMO, though I understand why you want to stop it.
I highly recommend you look into replacing the power button though. I've seen several devices become corrupt or damaged beyond repair due to the constant rebooting.
Or at least look at the power button thread in general section. I think the last few posts describes a somewhat risky way of fixing it yourself.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-T999 using Tapatalk

lilajrestnom

Jul 31, 2011
Philadelphia
I highly doubt it. That's going to be something hard coded into the processor or something along those lines. On just about any system you need to have some way of performing a hard reset even when everything else is royally screwed up. Not having that function is just a bad idea IMO, though I understand why you want to stop it.
I highly recommend you look into replacing the power button though. I've seen several devices become corrupt or damaged beyond repair due to the constant rebooting.
Or at least look at the power button thread in general section. I think the last few posts describes a somewhat risky way of fixing it yourself.

Thanks for the reply. So I've decided to remove the button as a temporary solution. I'm not removing the connected part on the inside, just the plastic button on the side and hopefully that'll stop anything from ever reaching the button deep inside. My only issue would be if the phone happened to shut down and I am not around a usb port, I may be stuck with a powered off phone. Unless someone has an alternative way of powering on the device without the use of the power button or a charger?

By the way, I am the OP but didn't realize I wasn't on my account when I posted the question.

DocHoliday77

May 10, 2011
HuntsVegas!!!
A lot of the power button issues are actually a faulty switch, meaning removing the plastic piece won't help much. If it does for you that's great though. You'll be able to use something small like a pin or paperclip to still turn it on though.

lilajrestnom

Jul 31, 2011
Philadelphia
A lot of the power button issues are actually a faulty switch, meaning removing the plastic piece won't help much. If it does for you that's great though. You'll be able to use something small like a pin or paperclip to still turn it on though.

Yup it worked perfectly and I have a small paperclip beneathe my case so that I can reach the power button when needed. Thanks for your help Doc.

Sent from my SPH-D700 using xda app-developers app

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.

Our Apps
Get our official app!
The best way to access XDA on your phone
Nav Gestures
Add swipe gestures to any Android
One Handed Mode
Eases uses one hand with your phone