• Introducing XDA Computing: Discussion zones for Hardware, Software, and more!    Check it out!

Disable Motorola Update Services?

Search This thread

WaterMan!

Aug 12, 2009
Hey everyone,

I'm rooted, so obviously the OTA security update fails every time for me. Since I did a hard restart on my phone, the update tries to be applied non stop, hogging up CPU usage and slowing the phone down. It says it fails and immediately tries to apply it again, in an endless loop.

I haven't found a way to disable it. Any suggestions? I tried to delete Motorola Update Services through titanium backup but it keeps coming back after a restart.

Any suggestions? I don't really want to go through the hassle of updating for a security patch, re rooting, and setting up my highly customized device again.

Thanks in advance!

TheFixItMan

Jul 8, 2012
London
Try the following

Enable usb debugging
Connect phone to PC & run the following adb command substituting package name with the package name of the app you want to disable E.g com.xyz.myapp

Code:
adb shell pm uninstall --user 0 packagename

If you get an error about this app can't be uninstalled try

Code:
adb shell pm disable-user --user 0 packagename

Last edited:
Reactions: WaterMan!

WaterMan!

Aug 12, 2009
I just wanted to update anyone in case they are looking at this thread.

The first command to remove it did not work. The second command to disable it DOES work, and survives a reboot. The package name is "com.motorola.ccc.ota"

hofs1

Jan 3, 2009
I have Motorola Update Services frozen via Titanium seems to have killed that update pop up on 4 Motos i have. oh and disable updates in Dev mode too.

WaterMan!

Aug 12, 2009
I'm going to bump this thread because the command is not working on Android 10. Any solutions? TB also just crashes for me.

adb simply returns "package non disable" or something along those lines. Meanwhile I keep getting that extremely annoying popup. Honestly, may it's worth switching to lineage. At least there I can be rooted and also get updates.

Last edited:
Reactions: virginwidow

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Try the following

Enable usb debugging
    Connect phone to PC & run the following adb command substituting package name with the package name of the app you want to disable E.g com.xyz.myapp

Code:
    adb shell pm uninstall --user 0 packagename

If you get an error about this app can't be uninstalled try

Code:
    adb shell pm disable-user --user 0 packagename
    I'm going to bump this thread because the command is not working on Android 10. Any solutions? TB also just crashes for me.

adb simply returns "package non disable" or something along those lines. Meanwhile I keep getting that extremely annoying popup. Honestly, may it's worth switching to lineage. At least there I can be rooted and also get updates.