Disable Nav Bar Completely and Use Gestures

Search This thread

Su0h

Jan 23, 2017
Hey, guys. I've been visiting this thread lately looking for a way to disable the navigation bar in Samsung Galaxy S8 and S8+ but as many of you hear I've been having a hard time finding a way to disable it because of Oreo. I found about this app just today and wanted to share it with you cause I think you may be interested if you want to navigate through your beautiful Galaxy S8/S8+ using gestures and in fact is an app from the XDA team themselves.

The App is Navigation Gestures, It's a pretty good app which I just discovered today. as its name suggests it provides the ability to navigate through your phone using gestures. but the important part here is that is a pretty good option, the best one in my opinion, since you're able to remove the navigation bar completely without messing with your phone. I've previously tried some other options like using the ADB command to adjust the screen values to hide the nav bar which it's a decent workaround but comes with some minor problems (e.g. the icons in the lockscreen dissapears depending on the values used, values varies depending on the resolution you are currently using in your phone so it doesn't work properly when using power saving mode, etc...)

the app works pretty well since it hides, I'm not sure if it disables or hides the nav bar, but i'm assuming it just hides the nav bar cause a white line is visible after you enable it completely, it does need you to input an adb command using your pc, I'll link some other threads to do this process if you don't know how to do it. Also the Navigation Gestures guides guides you through the process of inputing the ADB command and it even provides videos of it.

Links:
Install ADB on Windos, MAC, Linux
Navigation Gestures

Issues:
CAUTION: If you don't like the application and decide to uninstall it make sure you disable it first, since it doesn't bring back the nav bar automatically by uninstalling, disable Navigation Gestures before uninstalling, otherwise you'll have to install it again from the playstore and disable it manually. This is mentioned in the app itself as well.

White Bar after enabling Navigation Gestures and Solution (see attached files): As I mentioned before, I think this app hides the nav bar since after enabling the Gesture Navigation it still has a really thin white line on the bottom of the screen, which in my opinion looks bad aestethically and is obnoxious; to solve this just install the following mod, it doesn't require root but you still need to input a command using ADB. what this app does is it let's you choose a black color for the nav bar, which removes (or disguises?) the white line in the bottom. (Settings > Display > Navigation bar > pick the black circle) props to the user @oyaxai for this! BLACK NAVIGATION BAR .APK

Immersion Mode: I have the an immersion mode app installed and it doesn't play along very well with this app, the Navigation Gestures app has no problem using the keyboard without navigation bar since it moves the "gesture pill" on top of the keyboard so you don't accidentally press it but I had some issues where the "gesture pill" just dissapeared (see attached files), I thought it was a bug but I disabled the Immersion Mode and the "gesture pill" indeed was moved to the top of the keyboard as intended. Immersive Mode App I am using in case someone is curious.

Animations: this is a personal issue, it doesn't affect the app in any way but I wanted to mention that the "gesture pill" animations can't be disabled, I find them not good looking and kind of useless, this is just my opinion though, you may like the animations.

Attachments:
Pic Album (The white line in the bottom is barely noticeable but is definitely there, you may be able to see it better once you enable Gestures Navigation in your S8/S8+)

This is my first time making a thread in XDA so I apologise if the formatting is not correct or even the forum.
and if something is not right I'd appreciate if the mods would let me know, so I can do it properly, thanks.

Housshh

Nov 17, 2011
Thank you so much for this post.
I'll try it soon and reply how it goes.
Keep up the good work :D

liangguan5

May 22, 2018
Thanks a lot for this. This is my first time replying a thread^_^
But I still have a bit issue to be solved. After picking the black circle, the white line is still the same, it doesn't change to black color or disappear.

@xDeepS

Sep 17, 2010
Dubai
deepsoni.me
i use edge gestures. i used this app to disable the nav bar and uninstalled it haha

---------- Post added at 06:50 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:48 PM ----------

i would suggest you guys to use an alternate gesture app too, and use this app just to hide the nav bar. its very basic and doesnt allow you to hide pill. other apps let you swipe from bottom etc. i also use bxActions as a failover just in case gestures fail.

SevenD2

Dec 15, 2011
I really like this app, but I hate how it disables the pressure sensitive home button. When you press it, it'll vibrate but not do anything.

Does anyone know a work around to enable both gestures and the pressure home button?

Araero

Apr 3, 2017
i use edge gestures. i used this app to disable the nav bar and uninstalled it haha

---------- Post added at 06:50 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:48 PM ----------

i would suggest you guys to use an alternate gesture app too, and use this app just to hide the nav bar. its very basic and doesnt allow you to hide pill. other apps let you swipe from bottom etc. i also use bxActions as a failover just in case gestures fail.

How do i just use this app to hide? by turning off gestures it turns off the modification right?

mrchaien

Jan 22, 2018
such a shame, xda is too late. used a gesture app approx 4-5 months lol. Gesture Control + Edge Gestures is a best combo. (dont show pill and hide nav bar completely)

Reactions: Afg Playa

ImbaWind

Jul 12, 2011
?
If you have root access, add this into /system/build.prop
Code:
qemu.hw.mainkeys=1
will trick the Android system to believe that the device has a hardware navigation keys and should disable the navigation bar completely, used to work in Oreo.

ImbaWind

Jul 12, 2011
?
My mind is immersive mode.

Not sure if I understood you correctly.

https://github.com/ycsin/Shell-Scri...ster/system/bin/SSAF_advanced_device_settings
Code:
function immersive_mode()
{
	while :
	do
		clear;
		echo "${GREEN}Immersive Mode Toggle${NONE}";
		echo "";
		echo " 1. Navigation Only Immersive Mode";
		echo " 2. Full Immersive Mode";
		echo " 3. Disable Immersive Mode";
		echo " 0. Exit";
		echo "";
		echo -n "${YELLOW}Enter Option: ${NONE}";
		read opt
		case $opt in
			1)	$CMD settings put global policy_control immersive.navigation=*
				clear;
				echo "Enabled navigation only immersive mode.";
				echo "";
				press_enter
				break;;
			2)	$CMD settings put global policy_control immersive.full=*
				clear;
				echo "Enabled full immersive mode";
				echo "";
				press_enter
				break;;
			3)	$CMD settings put global policy_control immersive.navigation=
				$CMD settings put global policy_control immersive.full=
				clear;
				echo "Disabled immersive mode";
				echo "";
				press_enter
				break;;
			0)	break;;
			*)	clear;
				echo "${RED}Invalid option.${NONE}";
				sleep 1
		esac
	done
}

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Hey, guys. I've been visiting this thread lately looking for a way to disable the navigation bar in Samsung Galaxy S8 and S8+ but as many of you hear I've been having a hard time finding a way to disable it because of Oreo. I found about this app just today and wanted to share it with you cause I think you may be interested if you want to navigate through your beautiful Galaxy S8/S8+ using gestures and in fact is an app from the XDA team themselves.

The App is Navigation Gestures, It's a pretty good app which I just discovered today. as its name suggests it provides the ability to navigate through your phone using gestures. but the important part here is that is a pretty good option, the best one in my opinion, since you're able to remove the navigation bar completely without messing with your phone. I've previously tried some other options like using the ADB command to adjust the screen values to hide the nav bar which it's a decent workaround but comes with some minor problems (e.g. the icons in the lockscreen dissapears depending on the values used, values varies depending on the resolution you are currently using in your phone so it doesn't work properly when using power saving mode, etc...)

the app works pretty well since it hides, I'm not sure if it disables or hides the nav bar, but i'm assuming it just hides the nav bar cause a white line is visible after you enable it completely, it does need you to input an adb command using your pc, I'll link some other threads to do this process if you don't know how to do it. Also the Navigation Gestures guides guides you through the process of inputing the ADB command and it even provides videos of it.

Links:
    Install ADB on Windos, MAC, Linux
    Navigation Gestures

Issues:
    CAUTION: If you don't like the application and decide to uninstall it make sure you disable it first, since it doesn't bring back the nav bar automatically by uninstalling, disable Navigation Gestures before uninstalling, otherwise you'll have to install it again from the playstore and disable it manually. This is mentioned in the app itself as well.

White Bar after enabling Navigation Gestures and Solution (see attached files): As I mentioned before, I think this app hides the nav bar since after enabling the Gesture Navigation it still has a really thin white line on the bottom of the screen, which in my opinion looks bad aestethically and is obnoxious; to solve this just install the following mod, it doesn't require root but you still need to input a command using ADB. what this app does is it let's you choose a black color for the nav bar, which removes (or disguises?) the white line in the bottom. (Settings > Display > Navigation bar > pick the black circle) props to the user @oyaxai for this! BLACK NAVIGATION BAR .APK

Immersion Mode: I have the an immersion mode app installed and it doesn't play along very well with this app, the Navigation Gestures app has no problem using the keyboard without navigation bar since it moves the "gesture pill" on top of the keyboard so you don't accidentally press it but I had some issues where the "gesture pill" just dissapeared (see attached files), I thought it was a bug but I disabled the Immersion Mode and the "gesture pill" indeed was moved to the top of the keyboard as intended. Immersive Mode App I am using in case someone is curious.

Animations: this is a personal issue, it doesn't affect the app in any way but I wanted to mention that the "gesture pill" animations can't be disabled, I find them not good looking and kind of useless, this is just my opinion though, you may like the animations.

Attachments:
    Pic Album (The white line in the bottom is barely noticeable but is definitely there, you may be able to see it better once you enable Gestures Navigation in your S8/S8+)

This is my first time making a thread in XDA so I apologise if the formatting is not correct or even the forum.
    and if something is not right I'd appreciate if the mods would let me know, so I can do it properly, thanks.
    Make a video showing this in Galaxy S8 !!
    such a shame, xda is too late. used a gesture app approx 4-5 months lol. Gesture Control + Edge Gestures is a best combo. (dont show pill and hide nav bar completely)
    Yes, I know this but it don't keep while I factory reset. I want to modify system to permanent change.

You will have to put those commands into /system/services.d for that.